Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
EU audit €4.3B misspent last year 20:51 - Oct 8 with 1373 viewsPinewoodblue

I guess misspent = fraud
https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-eu-budget-auditors-idUKKBN1WM2B0

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

EU audit €4.3B misspent last year on 21:03 - Oct 8 with 1321 viewsitfc_bucks

Clearly, you didn't read the article, as it explicitly says that only in the most severe cases does misspent amount to fraud.
EU audit €4.3B misspent last year on 21:12 - Oct 8 with 1284 viewsSwansea_Blue

You guess wrong. It even tells you in the article - “Last year, the EU anti-fraud office OLAF recommended the recovery of 371 million euros of EU funds because of criminal abuses“.

Why do some people lack the ability to understand or acknowledge the most basic facts, even when pointed out in black and white?

If there are irregularities they need to be found (they have been via the auditors) and if suspected illegal activities have taken place they need to be referred for further investigation/action (again, that’s happened). What more do you want? Any wrong doing is taking place in member states without the knowledge of the secretariat. That’s what the auditors are for. Or would you rather they don’t check to see money is being spent as it should be?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

EU audit €4.3B misspent last year on 21:17 - Oct 8 with 1240 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

EU audit €4.3B misspent last year on 21:12 - Oct 8 by Swansea_Blue

You guess wrong. It even tells you in the article - “Last year, the EU anti-fraud office OLAF recommended the recovery of 371 million euros of EU funds because of criminal abuses“.

Why do some people lack the ability to understand or acknowledge the most basic facts, even when pointed out in black and white?

If there are irregularities they need to be found (they have been via the auditors) and if suspected illegal activities have taken place they need to be referred for further investigation/action (again, that’s happened). What more do you want? Any wrong doing is taking place in member states without the knowledge of the secretariat. That’s what the auditors are for. Or would you rather they don’t check to see money is being spent as it should be?

And no doubt we’ve misspent some of the 2.6% again, https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-britain-paid-650m-i

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

EU audit €4.3B misspent last year on 21:25 - Oct 8 with 1202 viewsflimflam

Nice

"The irregularities detected are likely to represent a fraction of all errors in EU spending because of the limited resources available to auditors to conduct checks."
[Post edited 8 Oct 2019 21:29]

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

EU audit €4.3B misspent last year on 21:31 - Oct 8 with 1172 viewsm14_blue

EU audit €4.3B misspent last year on 21:25 - Oct 8 by flimflam

Nice

"The irregularities detected are likely to represent a fraction of all errors in EU spending because of the limited resources available to auditors to conduct checks."

How many errors do you think there are in UK government spending?
EU audit €4.3B misspent last year on 21:37 - Oct 8 with 1147 viewsfactual_blue

EU audit €4.3B misspent last year on 21:12 - Oct 8 by Swansea_Blue

Having been on the receiving end of EU audits, they are exceptionally thorough.

The EU audit is one of the many false tropes about the EU that the gullible fall for.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

EU audit €4.3B misspent last year on 21:38 - Oct 8 with 1138 viewsSwansea_Blue

EU audit €4.3B misspent last year on 21:17 - Oct 8 by WestStanderLaLaLa

And no doubt we’ve misspent some of the 2.6% again, https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-britain-paid-650m-i

Probably. The EU rules can be ridiculously restrictive and highly demanding in audit requirements. The issues normally lie where funds have been allocated to Member State Governments to manage, rather than funding direct from the Commission. The Welsh Government has a nighmare with it and really struggle to interret and apply the rules in a clear manner (legitimately, not through any attempts at wrong-doing). Clawback is normal, but we do well normally - well under 1% annually on a protfolio of tens of millions.

It's a minefield (it's my job).

EU audit €4.3B misspent last year on 21:38 - Oct 8 with 1136 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Without reading the article …

I wonder how that as a percentage compares to a similarly calculated figure for the UK.

I wonder how much of the "misspending" went to Farage and his mates too.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

EU audit €4.3B misspent last year on 21:48 - Oct 8 with 1093 viewsSwansea_Blue

EU audit €4.3B misspent last year on 21:25 - Oct 8 by flimflam

Nice

Don't you believe it - one of the most lucrative jobs involved in EU funding is being an auditor. Expenditure is routinely audited for each claim to ensure compiance (First Level Control, often 100% audits), then can be spot audited again (by the specific fund manager, be it the Secretariat of an EU programme or a national state auditor if the programme funds have been devloved) and then in some cases again (Second Level Control, via a Group for Auditors from various states).

That's the one big bug bear of mine. Some projects cost over 15% in audit, which is nuts and well over what you'd normally allocate to Project Maangent. That money could be better spent, but then if you have people not complying you need the checks.

EU audit €4.3B misspent last year on 21:49 - Oct 8 with 1085 viewsSwansea_Blue

EU audit €4.3B misspent last year on 21:38 - Oct 8 by Nthsuffolkblue

Without reading the article …

I wonder how that as a percentage compares to a similarly calculated figure for the UK.

I wonder how much of the "misspending" went to Farage and his mates too.

The UK is a lot more relaxed at assessing compliance of spending of public funds, im my experience. I've no idea what the figure would be and whether IT lessons with a pole dancer are eligible spend though.

EU audit €4.3B misspent last year on 21:51 - Oct 8 with 1080 viewsTractorWood

This is standard audit extrapolation. Checking a sample of 1,000 payments and then extrapolating any errors across an entire population is a judgmental finding not a factual finding. It should be treated with respect as a valid finding conceptually and an area of control weakness but saying €4.3bn was misspent is not certain really true.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

EU audit €4.3B misspent last year on 22:14 - Oct 8 with 1034 viewsClapham_Junction

EU audit €4.3B misspent last year on 21:37 - Oct 8 by factual_blue

Having been on the receiving end of EU audits, they are exceptionally thorough.

The EU audit is one of the many false tropes about the EU that the gullible fall for.

Seconded. EU projects have far higher controls than domestic projects. Some EU funding streams in my field are quite unpopular because of the onerous reporting requirements compared to UK grants.

Also, I would imagine some of the "irregularities" are just genuine mistakes that have been made due to the complexity of the grant rules and unclear instructions written in Euro English. I had a few weeks of back and forth with an auditor over one project's costs and never really got to the bottom of what the problem with our claim (which was fully backed up with invoices and timesheets) was.
EU audit €4.3B misspent last year on 09:49 - Oct 9 with 864 viewshampstead_blue

The report effectively says it's a 'rounding error' due to, in part, complex reporting methods.

Fraud is everywhere, you can't stop it.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024