Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Music thread 08:40 - Oct 9 with 1202 viewsJohnny_Boy

(and Suffolk connection)

Always been a fan of Eno. Here Come The Warm Jets (1973) & Taking Tiger Mountain (1974) are my main acknowledgements of his best solo work. But someone recently told me to check-out Before & After Science (1977)....apart from Kings Lead Hat, I'd been a bit oblivious to the LP.

Any other recommendations of his vast collection of work I need to dip into?

Music thread on 08:46 - Oct 9 with 1183 viewsGuthrum

Another Green World, to complete the set of his early solo stuff. If you like really gentle, ambient stuff, then Music For Airports.

Old friend of mine is a massive fan of his early/middle period stuff, so has played me a lot of it. Not so familiar with Eno's work in more recent decades.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Music thread on 08:54 - Oct 9 with 1176 viewsJohnny_Boy

Music thread on 08:46 - Oct 9 by Guthrum

Another Green World, to complete the set of his early solo stuff. If you like really gentle, ambient stuff, then Music For Airports.

Old friend of mine is a massive fan of his early/middle period stuff, so has played me a lot of it. Not so familiar with Eno's work in more recent decades.

Duly noted. *thumbs up*
His ambient stuff....and my God.....there is a LOT of it, personally speaking, is a bit hit & miss. I do think there is a fine line he often steps over.

Somebody also tried to get me into 801, but it just wasn't happening.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2019 8:54]
Music thread on 09:04 - Oct 9 with 1157 viewsGuthrum

Music thread on 08:54 - Oct 9 by Johnny_Boy

Duly noted. *thumbs up*
His ambient stuff....and my God.....there is a LOT of it, personally speaking, is a bit hit & miss. I do think there is a fine line he often steps over.

Somebody also tried to get me into 801, but it just wasn't happening.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2019 8:54]

I think it's quite easy to make a LOT of ambient stuff. After all, it has no natural stopping point, unlike structured songs and it's quite easy to use up 45 minutes developing a concept.

That's why I find a lot of Soft Machine pretty unlistenable, despite being very into Prog.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Music thread on 13:37 - Oct 9 with 1106 viewsvilanovablue

Apollo: Atmospheres and soundtracks is great on the ambient side of things... An Ending (ascent) is wondrous.
Music thread on 14:31 - Oct 9 with 1089 viewsFenboyBlue

I'd agree with all the albums mentioned so far. I bought several a few years ago when I saw them all going for £3.99 each in an HMV sale. I'd also add his collaboration with David Byrne "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts". And I got his 2 albums with Underworld's Karl Hyde a few years ago which were a lot better than I thought they'd be.
I was gonna suggest these two (n/t) on 14:32 - Oct 9 with 1088 viewsDyland

Music thread on 08:46 - Oct 9 by Guthrum

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Music thread on 16:29 - Oct 9 with 1051 viewsbluewein

As mentioned, Before and After Science.

Also, a massive fan of his Album with Harmonia Tracks and Traces. A combination of his early Ambient work and Harmonias krautrock sound...

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Music thread on 16:32 - Oct 9 with 1047 viewsfooters

Eno also features on a few Slowdive tracks too. Can never have enough Slowdive.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024