Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interesting social dilemma 09:30 - Oct 9 with 2092 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Personally I am not a fan of the Nsiala song. It plays on a racial stereotype (even if it is intended to be a compliment).

Other teams have sung it and fans have been banned. ITFC have asked fans not to sing it. But the player himself has laughed about it and says he doesn't mind it.

It got me thinking from a moral point of view how society in general can deem something offensive when the person themselves that it is aimed at, has no issue with it.

We have to draw these lines really to govern what is and is not acceptable, which is really weird when you think about it, that people unconnected to it can be offended when the target actually isn't.

Counter that against chants to Steve Evans of 'have you ever seen your d***' Now personally society won't deem making fun of his weight as bad as a racially motivated stereotype, but if Evans was offended by the chant, which is likely given what we know of him, we are in a place in society when a man offended by a chant would be deemed to be less likely to be offended than another man not offended by a chant, that is supposedly deemed worse.

Always found the whole concept of being offended mad given it's subjective after all and that there are laws built around what individuals can claim to be offended by, regardless it seems of the actual content.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Interesting social dilemma on 09:32 - Oct 9 with 2072 viewschicoazul

"we are in a place in society when a man offended by a chant would be deemed to be less likely to be offended than another man not offended by a chant, that is supposedly deemed worse"

What?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Interesting social dilemma on 09:34 - Oct 9 with 2059 viewsLankHenners

Racism is worse than calling someone a porker, yes.

Like far too many people you’re conflating ‘being offended’ with ‘finding something distasteful’.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Interesting social dilemma on 09:34 - Oct 9 with 2056 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Interesting social dilemma on 09:32 - Oct 9 by chicoazul

"we are in a place in society when a man offended by a chant would be deemed to be less likely to be offended than another man not offended by a chant, that is supposedly deemed worse"

What?

What is more offensive? The Nsiala chant or the Evans one?

Pretty sure the club won't be taking action against anyone that chanted at Evans but other clubs have taken action for the exact same chant as Nsiala.

Yet Nsiala has said he finds the chant funny and I am guessing that Evans probably didn't.

So the point is that, assuming Evans found it less than funny, he can be offended by something society seems less offensive than Nsiala was about something society finds more offensive.

But yet we have laws around this very concept.

Interesting social dilemma on 09:46 - Oct 9 with 2008 viewsfooters

Just because one person *says* they're not offended by something racist doesn't mean it isn't racist.

Hope this helps.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Interesting social dilemma on 09:46 - Oct 9 with 2008 viewsGlasgowBlue

The way I see it is that even if one particular black man isn’t offended by the song, it is offensive to the majority as it plays on a racial stereotype.

It’s like when people say “chalky isn’t offended by my wog jokes and he joins in”. Or I pull the leg of my Jewish mate for being tight with money. Perhaps they go along with it but it’s still repeating racist tropes.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Interesting social dilemma on 09:47 - Oct 9 with 1989 viewsHerbivore

Interesting social dilemma on 09:34 - Oct 9 by WarkTheWarkITFC

What is more offensive? The Nsiala chant or the Evans one?

Pretty sure the club won't be taking action against anyone that chanted at Evans but other clubs have taken action for the exact same chant as Nsiala.

Yet Nsiala has said he finds the chant funny and I am guessing that Evans probably didn't.

So the point is that, assuming Evans found it less than funny, he can be offended by something society seems less offensive than Nsiala was about something society finds more offensive.

But yet we have laws around this very concept.

Evans can lose weight. Toto can't do much about being black.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Interesting social dilemma on 09:49 - Oct 9 with 1986 viewsfooters

Interesting social dilemma on 09:47 - Oct 9 by Herbivore

Evans can lose weight. Toto can't do much about being black.

Michael Jackson did.

Interesting social dilemma on 09:56 - Oct 9 with 1958 viewsGlasgowBlue

Interesting social dilemma on 09:49 - Oct 9 by footers

Michael Jackson did.

“Shamone”

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

Interesting social dilemma on 09:58 - Oct 9 with 1953 viewsfooters

Interesting social dilemma on 09:56 - Oct 9 by GlasgowBlue

“Shamone”

He was certainly Bad and Dangerous, but thankfully not Invincible.

Interesting social dilemma on 10:14 - Oct 9 with 1904 viewsslump

Interesting social dilemma on 09:46 - Oct 9 by GlasgowBlue

The way I see it is that even if one particular black man isn’t offended by the song, it is offensive to the majority as it plays on a racial stereotype.

It’s like when people say “chalky isn’t offended by my wog jokes and he joins in”. Or I pull the leg of my Jewish mate for being tight with money. Perhaps they go along with it but it’s still repeating racist tropes.

It's difficult to disagree with the sentiment in this but I think that it relies on "rules" far too much.

Society has not developed for us to not see colour or race and the stereotypes that "we" bandy around are in the main, done in jest.

Personally I think it's about respect. Not alone, but mostly respect.

UTT

Interesting social dilemma on 11:23 - Oct 9 with 1823 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Re your first point, I agree with the sentiment, but of course we don't KNOW that its offensive to the majority.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Interesting social dilemma on 11:25 - Oct 9 with 1809 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

General rule... society deems everything to be offensive.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

This Glassers on 11:27 - Oct 9 with 1793 viewsDyland

though the examples are a bit fallacious, cos they are, well, more offensive than saying someone has a big willy. Arguably :)

It's really simple, and completely irrelevant if Toto is offended or not.

And no, I am not personally offended by this song, obviously. Except by how crap and unoriginal it is.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Interesting social dilemma on 11:28 - Oct 9 with 1788 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Interesting social dilemma on 11:23 - Oct 9 by Marshalls_Mullet

Re your first point, I agree with the sentiment, but of course we don't KNOW that its offensive to the majority.

Which is exactly my point.

Society is deciding that this is offensive (which I happen to agree with as I think it would be deemed offensive to more black people than not, in my own view, somewhat limited in this area) even though the actual black person it is aimed at does not find it offensive.

That's the crux of what I am saying. We collectively can decide what should be offensive to a person who is the direct target of something they didn't take offense at. It's very strange as a concept when you consider everything else.

With crime we have laws which most people agree are sensible, the criminals may disagree, but the victim is never going to argue that the law is stupid for protecting them.

Offensive remarks seem to sit alone in this respect, which is why I always find it very interesting that we (presumably largely made of white, middle aged males) can determine what Toto Nsiala should be offended by.

This Glassers on 11:31 - Oct 9 with 1769 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

This Glassers on 11:27 - Oct 9 by Dyland

though the examples are a bit fallacious, cos they are, well, more offensive than saying someone has a big willy. Arguably :)

It's really simple, and completely irrelevant if Toto is offended or not.

And no, I am not personally offended by this song, obviously. Except by how crap and unoriginal it is.

That's what I find interesting.

You (someone the chant has nothing to do with) saying that it is irrelevant if Toto (the subject of the chant) is offended or not.

I'm not saying I agree with the chant. I think it's terrible. But my entire point is how crazy this aspect of life is. That you can decide, based on a collective that it's irrelevant whether the subject of the chant is offended or not.

It's quite mad as a concept and stands alone from anything else in life.

Interesting social dilemma on 11:32 - Oct 9 with 1764 viewsLankHenners

Interesting social dilemma on 11:28 - Oct 9 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Which is exactly my point.

Society is deciding that this is offensive (which I happen to agree with as I think it would be deemed offensive to more black people than not, in my own view, somewhat limited in this area) even though the actual black person it is aimed at does not find it offensive.

That's the crux of what I am saying. We collectively can decide what should be offensive to a person who is the direct target of something they didn't take offense at. It's very strange as a concept when you consider everything else.

With crime we have laws which most people agree are sensible, the criminals may disagree, but the victim is never going to argue that the law is stupid for protecting them.

Offensive remarks seem to sit alone in this respect, which is why I always find it very interesting that we (presumably largely made of white, middle aged males) can determine what Toto Nsiala should be offended by.

You really don't need to make this more complicated than 'the racist song is bad'.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

It isn't crazy or mad at all on 11:34 - Oct 9 with 1755 viewsDyland

This Glassers on 11:31 - Oct 9 by WarkTheWarkITFC

You (someone the chant has nothing to do with) saying that it is irrelevant if Toto (the subject of the chant) is offended or not.

I'm not saying I agree with the chant. I think it's terrible. But my entire point is how crazy this aspect of life is. That you can decide, based on a collective that it's irrelevant whether the subject of the chant is offended or not.

nft

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

This Glassers on 11:35 - Oct 9 with 1755 viewsfooters

Can I take a wild guess that you're a straight, white man, probably between the ages of 30 and 50 who lives in a mainly rural environment?

If you match most of these descriptions, I can well see why you'd find the idea 'crazy' as it's something you've likely never experienced.

This Glassers on 11:43 - Oct 9 with 1729 viewsHerbivore

It's not mad at all, it's quite simple really. I think you're overthinking it.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Interesting social dilemma on 11:55 - Oct 9 with 1704 viewswkj

Why have you chosen to start a new post instead of replying to the post this clearly relates to?

Only negative about tonight..... by pelles321 8 Oct 2019 23:53
That Toto chant. Are people aware there are similarities between it and the Villa chant which has been widely criticised over the weekend? It has the same final line, which is part of what is being criticised for racial stereotypes.

There were lots of positives about tonight’s game though. Huws was excellent, Dobra looked lively again and glad Keane has got his first of the season.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Interesting social dilemma on 12:00 - Oct 9 with 1688 viewsOxford_Blue

Being criticised for something that you are able to change or control or choose (weight, views, religion) is different to something that you cannot choose - your gender or colour for instance. With one or two exceptions the law recognises this.
Interesting social dilemma on 16:08 - Oct 9 with 1538 viewsActionMan

That's a bit deep.

That's a never ever ending question in that what's truly deemed offensive and in essence thats determined entirely by us as individuals or how we perceive it ourselves.

Would you for example ban TV shows such as South Park or Family Guy who often portray stereotypes in all directions? How far do you go with that? The general rule of thumb in this case the Nsiala song is immature but not based on malice or spite. It's up to your own moral compass whether you deem it to be offensive or not but Nsiala has taken the mature stance and laughed it off which I think is the best approach.

Censorship of any kind is a difficult one because it's all well and good when you are the ones making that decision on what's right or wrong but if the tables get turned those same laws can then apply to what you say/do which they may deem as offensive in their eyes whether they are political or religious and so on and have you banned/arrested or even killed for your views or actions.

In Evans case he quite literally made up stuff about what our manager said or did on the touchline because he didn't win a game of football. He deserves some stick.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024