Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) 13:04 - Oct 9 with 7315 viewsAlan_Essex

BardfieldBlue
Poll: VAR - or no VAR in League One

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 13:21 - Oct 9 with 4393 viewsEly_Blue

You might want to re word your thread title! Makes it sound like Sir Bobby was our worst ever manager!

I’d suggest the lot of them between them weren’t fit to lace his shoes

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 13:25 - Oct 9 with 4369 viewsHipsterectomy

lol who voted for Mick

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 13:25 - Oct 9 with 4363 viewsBrixtonBlue

I feel like your question is a rather leading one given the options, Alan.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 13:28 - Oct 9 with 4347 viewsSitfcB

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 13:25 - Oct 9 by Hipsterectomy

lol who voted for Mick

Footers I reckon, the arsehole.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Why isn't Paul Lambert on the list? (n/t) on 13:31 - Oct 9 with 4326 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 13:34 - Oct 9 with 4319 viewsAlan_Essex

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 13:25 - Oct 9 by BrixtonBlue

I feel like your question is a rather leading one given the options, Alan.

Actually not meant to be, but couldn't help the rhyme... John Duncan ran a close second

And apologies to all for the title wording - note to self - read before you post...

BardfieldBlue
Poll: VAR - or no VAR in League One

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 14:16 - Oct 9 with 4243 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Best:

Burley
Royle
Mick
Jim
Jewell
Keane

Hurst

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 14:18 - Oct 9 with 4235 viewsBlueyandCrazy

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 13:34 - Oct 9 by Alan_Essex

Actually not meant to be, but couldn't help the rhyme... John Duncan ran a close second

And apologies to all for the title wording - note to self - read before you post...

McGiven missing from there - he was pretty bad also

Poll: Worst ever ITFC manager

Login to get fewer ads

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 14:22 - Oct 9 with 4225 viewsSwansea_Blue

Opinion - Roy Keane. For where we were at the time and the new optimism and platform he had to build on For pissing away our then finanacial advantage.And for being a thoroughly unpleasant and badly matched individual.

Hurst was absolutely rubbish of course, but much of the damage had been done by then and we were only hanging on by the grace of Mick's ability to slog out a result now and then.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 14:23 - Oct 9 with 4216 viewsBrixtonBlue

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 14:22 - Oct 9 by Swansea_Blue

Opinion - Roy Keane. For where we were at the time and the new optimism and platform he had to build on For pissing away our then finanacial advantage.And for being a thoroughly unpleasant and badly matched individual.

Hurst was absolutely rubbish of course, but much of the damage had been done by then and we were only hanging on by the grace of Mick's ability to slog out a result now and then.

This.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 14:23 - Oct 9 with 4222 viewsPositivelyPortman

What a brilliant idea this is.
It’s not half term yet is it?

That’s my uncle that you lot are maligning by the way.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 14:26 - Oct 9 with 4208 viewsBlueBadger

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 14:22 - Oct 9 by Swansea_Blue

Spot on. Keane singlehandedly decimated ME's trust in managers to the extent that he's never really backed them in the transfer market since, either used badly or sold off a large chunk of a promising youth team, alienated a number of quality senior professionals who could have genuinely contributed and mired us in a turgid style of play.
In a very real way, Keane is responsible for us finding our way into the third division.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2019 14:46]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Mick has more votes than Jewell..... on 14:42 - Oct 9 with 4154 viewsBloots

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 13:25 - Oct 9 by Hipsterectomy

lol who voted for Mick

.....I feel now is an appropriate time to point out that tomorrow is "World Mental Health day".

Take care of yourselves.

Take the time to talk.

Look after each other.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 14:47 - Oct 9 with 4126 viewsPJH

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 14:18 - Oct 9 by BlueyandCrazy

McGiven missing from there - he was pretty bad also

McGiven had control of first team when John Lyall moved himself "upstairs" but McGiven was never club manager-first team manager perhaps.
Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 14:50 - Oct 9 with 4114 viewsChurchman

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 14:16 - Oct 9 by TRUE_BLUE123

Best:

Burley
Royle
Mick
Jim
Jewell
Keane

Hurst

In order:
Burley
Lyall
Royle

McCarthy
Magilton
Ferguson

Duncan
McGiven
Jewell
Hurst
Keane

The last five each had their own spectacular inadequacies. God, they were awful.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2019 15:07]
Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 14:57 - Oct 9 with 4083 viewsSuperblue95

lol who voted for Mick

Even worse, who voted for Burley?!

Jewell is doing well to only have 2 votes

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Mick has more votes than Jewell..... on 15:06 - Oct 9 with 4054 viewsSwansea_Blue

Mick has more votes than Jewell..... on 14:42 - Oct 9 by Bloots

.....I feel now is an appropriate time to point out that tomorrow is "World Mental Health day".

Take care of yourselves.

Take the time to talk.

Look after each other.

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 15:09 - Oct 9 with 4041 viewsKieran_Knows

Whilst I tend to agree on the whole, your last bit about Hurst and the damage being done I'm not quite sure I agree with. Whilst Mick's time had run its course, he did leave behind a capable squad to stay in the Championship, to which Hurst ripped apart to just about sign every bang average League 1 and 2 player there was (Nolan aside) for some utterly absurd fees.

Hurst definitely gets my vote.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2019 15:11]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 15:09 - Oct 9 with 4035 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 13:21 - Oct 9 by Ely_Blue

You might want to re word your thread title! Makes it sound like Sir Bobby was our worst ever manager!

I’d suggest the lot of them between them weren’t fit to lace his shoes

Haha, I thought the same when I read it!

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Mick has more votes than Jewell..... on 15:11 - Oct 9 with 4029 viewsChurchman

Mick has more votes than Jewell..... on 15:06 - Oct 9 by Swansea_Blue

I detested McCarthy in so many ways, but surely he has to be better than Jewell and quite a few other clueless horrors in that list!

Jewell always reminded me of a bloke who’d been dragged out of a boozer to be told he’d won a ‘be a manager for the day’ prize.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2019 15:13]
Mick has more votes than Jewell..... on 15:13 - Oct 9 with 4012 viewswkj

Mick has more votes than Jewell..... on 15:11 - Oct 9 by Churchman

I detested McCarthy in so many ways, but surely he has to be better than Jewell and quite a few other clueless horrors in that list!

Jewell always reminded me of a bloke who’d been dragged out of a boozer to be told he’d won a ‘be a manager for the day’ prize.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2019 15:13]

Jewell's DVD won him some points

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 15:14 - Oct 9 with 4013 viewsSwansea_Blue

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 15:09 - Oct 9 by Kieran_Knows

Whilst I tend to agree on the whole, your last bit about Hurst and the damage being done I'm not quite sure I agree with. Whilst Mick's time had run its course, he did leave behind a capable squad to stay in the Championship, to which Hurst ripped apart to just about sign every bang average League 1 and 2 player there was (Nolan aside) for some utterly absurd fees.

Hurst definitely gets my vote.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2019 15:11]

Good point and I did think about that, and yep Hurst rippped the team apart. But the money he spent was tiny by league standards. I just think that initial spaffing up the wall by Keane when we were one of the bigger spenders set the tone. A hair's width between them though (especially in terms of unsuitability - neither really understood us or looked like they wanted to).

What choice's eh?

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 15:53 - Oct 9 with 3944 viewsActionMan

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 14:57 - Oct 9 by Superblue95

Even worse, who voted for Burley?!

Jewell is doing well to only have 2 votes

As much as I didn't rate Keane, I don't understand how anyone can rate Paul Jewell above him. He brought the club to the absolute brink and had Mick not been brought in we'd have been in the third division in 2013 without any doubt and he did that in just a year or so. He signed wasters who cost a fortune, we were the toilet of the Championship in terms of players such as Loach, Chopra, Bullard, Bowyer, Emmanuel-Thomas, Ellington, Drury, Stevenson, Sonko, Ingimarsson, Taylor, Orr... and the football... Well...

The spending also went out of control under his watch as well. Paul Jewell to me is our second worst manager ever behind Hurst, and many Derby and Sheffield Wednesday fans rate him as their worst ever manager and he's arguably the worst ever manager of a side in the Premiership (Derby) and should NEVER have been given another job but Marcus Evans isn't known for his decision making here.
Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 16:04 - Oct 9 with 3905 viewsBrixtonBlue

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 15:53 - Oct 9 by ActionMan

As much as I didn't rate Keane, I don't understand how anyone can rate Paul Jewell above him. He brought the club to the absolute brink and had Mick not been brought in we'd have been in the third division in 2013 without any doubt and he did that in just a year or so. He signed wasters who cost a fortune, we were the toilet of the Championship in terms of players such as Loach, Chopra, Bullard, Bowyer, Emmanuel-Thomas, Ellington, Drury, Stevenson, Sonko, Ingimarsson, Taylor, Orr... and the football... Well...

The spending also went out of control under his watch as well. Paul Jewell to me is our second worst manager ever behind Hurst, and many Derby and Sheffield Wednesday fans rate him as their worst ever manager and he's arguably the worst ever manager of a side in the Premiership (Derby) and should NEVER have been given another job but Marcus Evans isn't known for his decision making here.

It's because he came after Keane. However bad he was, he was trying to clear up Keane's mess. Keane inherited a much better squad.

I also dispute the statement, "The spending also went out of control under his watch as well." Keane spent a bit more and equally wasted it.

Plus if you're talking style in terms of "and the football", Keane's was far less easy on the eye.

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 16:08 - Oct 9 with 3893 viewsSuperblue95

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 16:04 - Oct 9 by BrixtonBlue

It's because he came after Keane. However bad he was, he was trying to clear up Keane's mess. Keane inherited a much better squad.

I also dispute the statement, "The spending also went out of control under his watch as well." Keane spent a bit more and equally wasted it.

Plus if you're talking style in terms of "and the football", Keane's was far less easy on the eye.

Both were dreadful managers. We were incredibly lucky not to get relegated in the 3 years the two of them were in charge. To this day I can’t fathom some of their decisions

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024