Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Mariner 13:04 - Oct 10 with 7961 viewsSchancheITFC

Inside info, he’s moved back to the uk and will be living local to me. Expect we will see him at games now.
Paul Mariner on 13:13 - Oct 10 with 5286 viewsChurchman

He was a smashing player. Knew where the goal was, quick, great positional sense, knew when to play others in and when to be greedy. Good in the air and on the ground, he could also handle himself. Mariner was one of those players who was better live than he appeared on tv. He made many a centre half’s day an absolute misery - not least Willie Young’s just about every time he played him including a certain day in May 1978.

It was a privilege to see him play.
Paul Mariner on 14:16 - Oct 10 with 5104 viewsbilllm

Pretty boy but as hard as nails,
Paul Mariner on 14:20 - Oct 10 with 5083 viewssolemio

Equal best striker ever at our club.
Paul Mariner on 14:32 - Oct 10 with 5042 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Paul Mariner on 14:20 - Oct 10 by solemio

Equal with Crawford ?? Brazil and Phillips just behind I imagine.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Paul Mariner on 15:03 - Oct 10 with 4949 viewsWickets

Paul Mariner on 14:16 - Oct 10 by billlm

Pretty boy but as hard as nails,

Yes he was a hard man ,smiled a lot but knew how to look after himself .
Paul Mariner on 15:19 - Oct 10 with 4890 viewsChurchman

Paul Mariner on 14:32 - Oct 10 by TRUE_BLUE123

Equal with Crawford ?? Brazil and Phillips just behind I imagine.

I saw Ray Crawford towards the end of his career in his second spell at ITFC, but I was too young to comment on him. My dad, who saw them both, reckoned that while RC was a better goal scorer, PM was a better player and both were better than Ted Phillips and Alan Brazil. Again, AB had a ‘couldn’t miss’ lethal spell to his career and was terrific, but PM was a better, more crucial player and did it consistently over a 6 or 7 year period.

Mariner was a tough so and so. I don’t know how true it is but I heard a story about the game away in Cologne where in the tunnel PM promised the German centre half that he’d ‘do him’. 5 mins in, 1st corner, the German centre half had his nose broken by guess who.
Paul Mariner on 15:39 - Oct 10 with 4820 viewsPJH

Paul Mariner on 14:20 - Oct 10 by solemio

PM was a great striker for us but I put him in second place, just.
Paul Mariner on 15:50 - Oct 10 with 4804 viewsfactual_blue

Paul Mariner on 15:19 - Oct 10 by Churchman

I saw Ray Crawford towards the end of his career in his second spell at ITFC, but I was too young to comment on him. My dad, who saw them both, reckoned that while RC was a better goal scorer, PM was a better player and both were better than Ted Phillips and Alan Brazil. Again, AB had a ‘couldn’t miss’ lethal spell to his career and was terrific, but PM was a better, more crucial player and did it consistently over a 6 or 7 year period.

Mariner was a tough so and so. I don’t know how true it is but I heard a story about the game away in Cologne where in the tunnel PM promised the German centre half that he’d ‘do him’. 5 mins in, 1st corner, the German centre half had his nose broken by guess who.

An Arsenal-supporting friend of mine told me how pleased he was when the Arsenal signed him.

Some years before that, before even we'd signed him, his school had gone to watch some game or other (presumably involving Plymouth Argyle), and one of the teachers had told them all to watch Mariner, as they'd get a masterclass in how to play as a striker.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Paul Mariner on 17:12 - Oct 10 with 4651 viewssolemio

Paul Mariner on 15:39 - Oct 10 by PJH

PM was a great striker for us but I put him in second place, just.

Yes, if you twisted my arm I'd just favour Crawford.
Paul Mariner on 17:24 - Oct 10 with 4608 viewsWickets

Alan Brazil tells that broken nose story but to be honest i cant remember it !
Paul Mariner on 17:28 - Oct 10 with 4600 viewsPJH

Paul Mariner on 17:12 - Oct 10 by solemio

Yes, if you twisted my arm I'd just favour Crawford.

Those that saw Paul Mariner play for us but did not see Ray Crawford will know how highly I rate Crawford to say that I see Ray as just being the better of the two.
Paul Mariner on 18:22 - Oct 10 with 4468 viewsChurchman

Paul Mariner on 17:28 - Oct 10 by PJH

Those that saw Paul Mariner play for us but did not see Ray Crawford will know how highly I rate Crawford to say that I see Ray as just being the better of the two.

Well, if the two people on here who who saw Ray play in his prime reckon he shades it, that’ll do for me.
Paul Mariner on 18:54 - Oct 10 with 4395 viewsronnyd

Paul Mariner on 18:22 - Oct 10 by Churchman

Well, if the two people on here who who saw Ray play in his prime reckon he shades it, that’ll do for me.

Always difficult to compare players of different era,s to be fair. Didn,t see RC but i did PM. Pure class.
Paul Mariner on 19:00 - Oct 10 with 4385 viewshochiblue

Slightly different players. PM had power and strength that Ray never had. But... Ray was a nailed on goalscorer, knew where he needed to be and did what was necessary. Even in his second visit when his pace had gone, ke knew too much for most people. Somebody interviewed Roy MacFarland the year Derby got promoted and asked him who his most difficult opponent had been. He said: RC, talked him out of the game. I also recall the game against Norwich at Carrion Road, 3-1 down at half time. Ray just wound up their centre half, Laurie “Topper” Brown , and took him for a walk, Viljoen got his hat-trick . Best match I ever saw, Colchester Utd versus Leeds Utd. Extraordinary crowd reaction, but Ray scored one with his head, one from a seated position and should have had a hat-trick (legs gone). Ray was like Jimmy Greaves - once he was in the final third with the ball.....
Both lovely players to have on your side, those really were the days.
Paul Mariner on 19:08 - Oct 10 with 4356 viewsPJH

Paul Mariner on 18:54 - Oct 10 by ronnyd

Always difficult to compare players of different era,s to be fair. Didn,t see RC but i did PM. Pure class.

Very true and the only way I try to do it is by trying to remember each of them as I saw them at their ITFC peak and deciding which of the two you would put in your all time team.

If you could only have one of them it would be Ray Crawford for me.
Paul Mariner on 19:48 - Oct 10 with 4246 viewsChurchman

Paul Mariner on 19:08 - Oct 10 by PJH

Very true and the only way I try to do it is by trying to remember each of them as I saw them at their ITFC peak and deciding which of the two you would put in your all time team.

If you could only have one of them it would be Ray Crawford for me.

Before Paul Mariner, David Johnson ‘the first’ played for us. He was a very good player too (pacy, skilful with good control) and I was absolutely gutted when he went to Liverpool. Little did I realise that PM had everything Johnson did and more besides. Throughout that period, we had Trevor Whymark. He is sort of forgotten now, but he was excellent. Renowned for his exceptional heading ability he was actually very good on the ground. Four goals against Lazio wasn’t half bad and he scored goals against just about any team worth naming.

Talk about a golden era.
Paul Mariner on 20:03 - Oct 10 with 4208 viewssolemio

Paul Mariner on 19:48 - Oct 10 by Churchman

Before Paul Mariner, David Johnson ‘the first’ played for us. He was a very good player too (pacy, skilful with good control) and I was absolutely gutted when he went to Liverpool. Little did I realise that PM had everything Johnson did and more besides. Throughout that period, we had Trevor Whymark. He is sort of forgotten now, but he was excellent. Renowned for his exceptional heading ability he was actually very good on the ground. Four goals against Lazio wasn’t half bad and he scored goals against just about any team worth naming.

Talk about a golden era.

Yes, Whymark was very good, especially in the air. If I recall correctly he was only 5' 9", but commentators would call him 'the big striker' because he got up so high for headers they assumed he was tall.
Paul Mariner on 20:21 - Oct 10 with 4166 viewsPJH

Paul Mariner on 20:03 - Oct 10 by solemio

Yes, Whymark was very good, especially in the air. If I recall correctly he was only 5' 9", but commentators would call him 'the big striker' because he got up so high for headers they assumed he was tall.

According to the official Wembley '78 brochure £1 "The Ipswich Town Players proudly present their F.A. Cup Final brochure" that I have in front of me at this very moment Trevor Whymark was five feet ten and a half inches tall.

He was great in the air and the best target man that I have ever seen for us.
Paul Mariner on 20:34 - Oct 10 with 4131 viewsChurchman

Paul Mariner on 20:21 - Oct 10 by PJH

According to the official Wembley '78 brochure £1 "The Ipswich Town Players proudly present their F.A. Cup Final brochure" that I have in front of me at this very moment Trevor Whymark was five feet ten and a half inches tall.

He was great in the air and the best target man that I have ever seen for us.

‘England Football Online’ say he was 5ft 10ins. Memory plays terrible tricks, but I’m sure he was taller than 5ft 9. Regardless, he was a damn good player.
Paul Mariner on 20:44 - Oct 10 with 4103 viewsPJH

Paul Mariner on 20:34 - Oct 10 by Churchman

‘England Football Online’ say he was 5ft 10ins. Memory plays terrible tricks, but I’m sure he was taller than 5ft 9. Regardless, he was a damn good player.

Maybe he became half an inch taller between his one England cap in 1977 and the production of the brochure in April 1978.

He was a hell of a player.
Paul Mariner on 20:47 - Oct 10 with 4097 viewsBlueForYou

Once played against him in a charity match. Was quite shocked how big & physical he was close up, but crikey he had such electric pace. Lifetimes ahead of my meagre ability. Great player for us.
Paul Mariner on 21:04 - Oct 10 with 4049 viewsChurchman

Paul Mariner on 20:44 - Oct 10 by PJH

Maybe he became half an inch taller between his one England cap in 1977 and the production of the brochure in April 1978.

He was a hell of a player.

Haha, maybe they factored in the big perm he went for late in his time at the club.

I was always saddened that he never got to play in the Cup Final. Like Colin Viljoen (he was half decent too), he came so close in 1975.

You are right, one hell of a player.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2019 21:05]
Paul Mariner on 21:06 - Oct 10 with 4039 viewspablovian

Paul Mariner on 19:48 - Oct 10 by Churchman

Talk about a golden era.

My sentiments precisely! As a teenager, I idolized Ray Crawford (and never thought that Ted Phillips was in the same class). As a young adult, I thought that David Johnson was a magician (hence my avatar) and that Trevor Whymark was excellent. I was heart broken when Johnson went to Liverpool, but quickly realized that Bobby Robson knew exactly what he was doing ...

For me, Ray Crawford in his pomp was the more exciting player to watch, but Paul Mariner made broader contributions during a longer period of sustained success. Paul Mariner gets my vote ...
Paul Mariner on 21:15 - Oct 10 with 4012 viewsChurchman

Paul Mariner on 21:06 - Oct 10 by pablovian

My sentiments precisely! As a teenager, I idolized Ray Crawford (and never thought that Ted Phillips was in the same class). As a young adult, I thought that David Johnson was a magician (hence my avatar) and that Trevor Whymark was excellent. I was heart broken when Johnson went to Liverpool, but quickly realized that Bobby Robson knew exactly what he was doing ...

For me, Ray Crawford in his pomp was the more exciting player to watch, but Paul Mariner made broader contributions during a longer period of sustained success. Paul Mariner gets my vote ...

That makes it 2-1 Crawford amongst those who saw him in his prime!!

Like the avatar! Mine of course has PM, albeit in tiny form, on a certain day in April 1978. I’d love to say that I am also in the frame, but I think I’m just to the left out of shot. Hey ho.
Paul Mariner on 21:16 - Oct 10 with 4008 viewsPJH

Paul Mariner on 21:04 - Oct 10 by Churchman

Haha, maybe they factored in the big perm he went for late in his time at the club.

I was always saddened that he never got to play in the Cup Final. Like Colin Viljoen (he was half decent too), he came so close in 1975.

You are right, one hell of a player.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2019 21:05]

Trevor Whymark and Colin Viljoen both deserved an F.A. Cup Final appearance but if Whymark had been in the side on 6th May 1978 it would have been interesting to see what tactics Bobby Robson used because I do not imagine Whymark would have been played wide right as David Geddis was.

For those that are less than about 50 years old Geddis who was in the side because Whymark had been injured for big chunks of 1977/78 was played wide right in part to stop Arsenal's left back Sammy Nelson bombing forward.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024