Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough 11:58 - Oct 11 with 4659 viewsActionMan

Just seen this flash up on my newsfeed. His agent is doing a good job to get him a new deal here then!

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-sunderland-and-peterborough-set-sig

Credit to the bloke, a guy nobody fancied just a few months back has three of the top teams in the division about to offer him a contract according to this.
Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 12:03 - Oct 11 with 4164 viewsPJH

It would seem to make sense to me to get him signed here until the end of the season if we can although he is likely to get a longer contract somewhere else in January.

I think he has done all that could have been expected of him and more in his few games for us so far.
Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 12:05 - Oct 11 with 4127 viewsActionMan

Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 12:03 - Oct 11 by PJH

It would seem to make sense to me to get him signed here until the end of the season if we can although he is likely to get a longer contract somewhere else in January.

I think he has done all that could have been expected of him and more in his few games for us so far.

End of season with an option for 1 more would be my decision. We're going to need a decent squad for next season anyway and need depth especially given that Chambers isn't likely to be around much longer playing wise.
Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 12:10 - Oct 11 with 4082 viewsSWGF

Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 12:05 - Oct 11 by ActionMan

End of season with an option for 1 more would be my decision. We're going to need a decent squad for next season anyway and need depth especially given that Chambers isn't likely to be around much longer playing wise.

That may work but is he a Champ standard defender? He's more than adequate enough for L1 but it's a fair difference between this league and the one above, as we've found out.

Understandably, he's going to want security of (potentially) his last decent-sized/length contract.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 12:25 - Oct 11 with 4001 viewsPilgrimblue

I'm fairly relaxed about him and wonder whether he'll keep his place when Toto is fully fit. If PL likes him then happy for him to stay till end of season with option. Trouble is that he may get better terms elsewhere.
Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 12:28 - Oct 11 with 3975 viewsdavblue

Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 12:25 - Oct 11 by Pilgrimblue

I'm fairly relaxed about him and wonder whether he'll keep his place when Toto is fully fit. If PL likes him then happy for him to stay till end of season with option. Trouble is that he may get better terms elsewhere.

Im not convinced Toto is any better. He's certainly rasher and that begs the question who would you rather as a manager a steady consistent player or a player who can be rash and dive in and give penalties/free kicks away.
Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 12:30 - Oct 11 with 3956 viewschicoazul

Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 12:28 - Oct 11 by davblue

Im not convinced Toto is any better. He's certainly rasher and that begs the question who would you rather as a manager a steady consistent player or a player who can be rash and dive in and give penalties/free kicks away.

Wilson got sent off for 2 rash challenges last week.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 12:37 - Oct 11 with 3915 viewshomer_123

He's a no nonsense defender.

He's no good in a back three as he's not at all comfortable playing out from the back. But he does the basics very well. Good positional pay, likes a tackle, decent in the air - tends to work on the if in doubt clear it out than trying to play out - which is fine.

I think we should offer him a deal to the end of the season but I don't think he's Championship material.

To be fair to him, if Sunderland or Pboro offer him a 2 or 3 year deal - he should take it.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 13:15 - Oct 11 with 3801 viewsitfcjoe

It's an awkward one, wouldn't want to offer him much more than an extension until the end of the season, but can see he'll want more - may end up being an 18 month deal.

Realistically if we go up though we will need more than a 35 year old Chambers, Woolfenden, Wilson and Nsiala - and then we end up with 5 senior CBs which doesn't work.

I think he'll end up staying until the end of the season, but wouldn't be too disappointed if he goes as we need to get Toto and Woolfie playing as they are our assets and Chambers is going to be a regular

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 13:16 - Oct 11 with 3783 viewsSouperJim

Are his family settled in Lincoln? If so, a move to Peterborough may appeal.

He's been decent, but it's easier to look decent in a performing side. Whether he'd do so well in the Championship or when we play poorly, remains to be seen.

If he doesn't stay, I'd hope Evans is prepared to replace him with someone better in January with one eye on promotion.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 13:17 - Oct 11 with 3776 viewsReuser_is_God

Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 13:15 - Oct 11 by itfcjoe

It's an awkward one, wouldn't want to offer him much more than an extension until the end of the season, but can see he'll want more - may end up being an 18 month deal.

Realistically if we go up though we will need more than a 35 year old Chambers, Woolfenden, Wilson and Nsiala - and then we end up with 5 senior CBs which doesn't work.

I think he'll end up staying until the end of the season, but wouldn't be too disappointed if he goes as we need to get Toto and Woolfie playing as they are our assets and Chambers is going to be a regular

I'd rather we played Wilson over Nsiala.

All day long.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 13:18 - Oct 11 with 3773 viewsPJH

Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 12:37 - Oct 11 by homer_123

He's a no nonsense defender.

He's no good in a back three as he's not at all comfortable playing out from the back. But he does the basics very well. Good positional pay, likes a tackle, decent in the air - tends to work on the if in doubt clear it out than trying to play out - which is fine.

I think we should offer him a deal to the end of the season but I don't think he's Championship material.

To be fair to him, if Sunderland or Pboro offer him a 2 or 3 year deal - he should take it.

Agree with all that.

He is a poor mans Christophe Berra, a defender who defends-I like that phrase and it is the third or fourth time that I have used it to describe Wilson(I will probably use it again!).

I think we should try to keep him until the end of the season but very understandably he might well want something more long term and that might not be here.
Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 13:19 - Oct 11 with 3759 viewsPJH

Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 13:17 - Oct 11 by Reuser_is_God

All day long.

I certainly have more faith in Wilson than I do in Nsiala.
Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 13:19 - Oct 11 with 3770 viewsitfcjoe

Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 13:17 - Oct 11 by Reuser_is_God

All day long.

Toto has another 2 years left on his deal - it's in our interest to get him playing well.

Whilst Wilson has done well, and Toto was dodgy as at times last year, i do think Wilson's impact is being overplayed - both Chambers and Woolfenden been more impressive than him for me

Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 13:23 - Oct 11 with 3743 viewsSouperJim

Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 13:19 - Oct 11 by itfcjoe

Toto has another 2 years left on his deal - it's in our interest to get him playing well.

Whilst Wilson has done well, and Toto was dodgy as at times last year, i do think Wilson's impact is being overplayed - both Chambers and Woolfenden been more impressive than him for me

He's an old fashioned stopper, which means he looks a bit suspect when the ball is on the floor. He's shanked a few into the stands and while I'd rather that than try and play beyond his ability, it'll serve us poorly against more skilful sides.

I think some of the praise comes from the fact he was released by Lincoln, so people assumed he would be utter pony before seeing him kick a ball.

Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 14:10 - Oct 11 with 3621 viewsActionMan

Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 12:28 - Oct 11 by davblue

Nsiala isn't a great Championship defender as proven much of last season and the fact we paid such a large fee for him is amazing, and I must be honest Wilson looks a far more steady centre half then he does. People may argue that Wilson may not be able to step up to the Championship but thats most of our squad now, Nsiala included, and I don't expect Evans is going to splash out serious money in August to keep us up (he didn't in the November window when we could have still stayed up last season) so if its a straight choice between those two, it's Wilson for me. It's probably an unpopular opinion though.
Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 14:28 - Oct 11 with 3570 viewschicoazul

Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 13:15 - Oct 11 by itfcjoe

Not awkward at all for me. We have 3 excellent centre halves along with Skuse if we are in a pickle. He's done a fine job for us but with Toto back and Woolf going so well we don't need him. If he can get 2 years at Sunderland then he should go

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 14:42 - Oct 11 with 3524 viewsitfcjoe

Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 14:10 - Oct 11 by ActionMan

Nsiala isn't a great Championship defender as proven much of last season and the fact we paid such a large fee for him is amazing, and I must be honest Wilson looks a far more steady centre half then he does. People may argue that Wilson may not be able to step up to the Championship but thats most of our squad now, Nsiala included, and I don't expect Evans is going to splash out serious money in August to keep us up (he didn't in the November window when we could have still stayed up last season) so if its a straight choice between those two, it's Wilson for me. It's probably an unpopular opinion though.

It's not a straight choice though because of their contract situations

Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 16:10 - Oct 11 with 3428 viewsGarv

Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 13:23 - Oct 11 by SouperJim

He's an old fashioned stopper, which means he looks a bit suspect when the ball is on the floor. He's shanked a few into the stands and while I'd rather that than try and play beyond his ability, it'll serve us poorly against more skilful sides.

I think some of the praise comes from the fact he was released by Lincoln, so people assumed he would be utter pony before seeing him kick a ball.

During the Tranmere game there was an awkward high ball sent down the channel, he shanked it into the stand.

10 minutes later there was the same kind of ball sent down the opposite channel, Chambers tried to bring it down, miss controlled, their lad got onto it and a few seconds later they scored.

I quite like Wilson so far. This isn't a Chambo bashing, just pointing out what Wilson gives us.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 16:12 - Oct 11 with 3420 viewsSouperJim

Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 16:10 - Oct 11 by Garv

During the Tranmere game there was an awkward high ball sent down the channel, he shanked it into the stand.

10 minutes later there was the same kind of ball sent down the opposite channel, Chambers tried to bring it down, miss controlled, their lad got onto it and a few seconds later they scored.

I quite like Wilson so far. This isn't a Chambo bashing, just pointing out what Wilson gives us.

I think that's more a case of pointing out what Chambers does wrong to be fair. Surely the best outcome is to successfully bring the ball down and restart play? Yeah I'd rather he shanked it into the stand than did a Chambo, but neither of them are the answer long-term.

Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 16:13 - Oct 11 with 3417 viewsKieran_Knows

Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 16:10 - Oct 11 by Garv

I was just about to reply something similar to one of Joe's earlier posts. Exactly this. I certainly think Wilson is worthy of a deal until the summer.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 16:13 - Oct 11 with 3412 viewsGarv

Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 12:30 - Oct 11 by chicoazul

Wilson got sent off for 2 rash challenges last week.

I wouldn't even call his second booking a challenge.

Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 16:16 - Oct 11 with 3401 viewsGarv

Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 16:12 - Oct 11 by SouperJim

I think that's more a case of pointing out what Chambers does wrong to be fair. Surely the best outcome is to successfully bring the ball down and restart play? Yeah I'd rather he shanked it into the stand than did a Chambo, but neither of them are the answer long-term.

Fair point. Maybe a sign of our standards slipping!

It was nothing Berra wouldn't have done, though.

I used to count how many times Berra and Smith would kick the ball out of play during a game. I often lost that count.

Whilst I agree.... on 16:23 - Oct 11 with 3359 viewsBloots

Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 16:12 - Oct 11 by SouperJim

....it has to be said that a central defender that can bring the ball down in that situation, and then restart play, plus have all the other characteristics that a centre back needs;

1. Wouldn't be playing in the 3rd Division

2. Would be hugely out of our price range

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 16:26 - Oct 11 with 3350 viewsPJH

Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 16:16 - Oct 11 by Garv

Fair point. Maybe a sign of our standards slipping!

It was nothing Berra wouldn't have done, though.

I used to count how many times Berra and Smith would kick the ball out of play during a game. I often lost that count.

It is quite difficult for your opponents to score a goal if the ball is in the stands, I see that as being good defending if the first principle of defending is keeping the ball away from your goal.
Wilson to Sunderland/Peterborough on 16:28 - Oct 11 with 3333 viewsclive_baker

The ideal scenario would be to get him tied down until the end of the season. He's been great so far for me, but he is industrious and a more than a little 'no nonsense'. As far as personnel goes, I don't see any reason to rock the apple cart with any activity in or out in January. The squad is good, get Sears and Bishop back fit, and Nsiala up to match sharpness and we're pretty well set. If it ain't broke etc. IF we go up, then we should probably be in the market to upgrade in that area anyway, and we can re-asses in the summer. Unfortunately I suspect Wilson will rightly want some longer term security, and the offer of a 2 year deal elsewhere might well tempt him, which you absolute couldn't begrudge of a guy at his stage.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024