Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lambda (oxygen) sensor on a car 16:23 - Oct 11 with 1161 viewsBent_double

Anyone mechanically minded ever changed one of these?

The engine management light on the dash came on the other week, I was booked in for an MOT anyway, they told me it was this sensor, but had taken it out and put it back, and the light had gone out, but if it came back on again the sensor would need replacing, £130.

Seems a bit steep, I've searched for the part, looks like you need a special socket tool to remove it too, but £40-£50 would probably cover it, and there's a youtube video showing how easy it is to do.

I hate getting ripped off by garages for simple jobs I could probably do myself, but I suppose there's always the chance I could mess up and then have to pay them to fix it!

Anyone done one of these themselves?

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Lambda (oxygen) sensor on a car on 18:21 - Oct 11 with 1103 viewsChondzoresk

Depends on make of car. The other day I saw a guy with an Aston Martin get quoted £1000 for a sensor. Some would be £50 all in. They will probably put it on their laptop to clear any codes too. £130 isn’t over the top, but never ever go to a main dealership unless absolutely necessary. I am sure if you are a regular with your chosen garage, then there shouldn’t be any issues.
Lambda (oxygen) sensor on a car on 19:30 - Oct 11 with 1072 viewsronnyd

If you do get one, get a genuine manufacturers one, as cheap e-bay and after market ones tend to stop working quite quickly. Sometimes you strike lucky but it,s a chance you take.
Lambda (oxygen) sensor on a car on 20:05 - Oct 11 with 1055 viewsSarge

Lambda (oxygen) sensor on a car on 19:30 - Oct 11 by ronnyd

If you do get one, get a genuine manufacturers one, as cheap e-bay and after market ones tend to stop working quite quickly. Sometimes you strike lucky but it,s a chance you take.

I second this.

Had a recurring problem with lambda sensors, wasn’t fixed until I got the dealer to stump up for a genuine manufacturer part.
Lambda (oxygen) sensor on a car on 20:42 - Oct 11 with 1024 viewsBent_double

Thanks for the replies, people. As I understand it, it's not an 'essential' thing - other than for passing the MOT! - but sounds like it might be a bit risky getting the right parts myself, so might just shop around for a better price.

Lambda (oxygen) sensor on a car on 22:25 - Oct 11 with 981 viewsSarge

Lambda (oxygen) sensor on a car on 20:42 - Oct 11 by Bent_double

Thanks for the replies, people. As I understand it, it's not an 'essential' thing - other than for passing the MOT! - but sounds like it might be a bit risky getting the right parts myself, so might just shop around for a better price.

Your car may run rough and with poor fuel efficiency with a faulty sensor so I would definitely look at getting it sorted when possible. There’s usually two, the fault code should identify which one needs replacing and they’re easy to replace yourself providing you can get to them. I had the dealer sort mine because it was still under warranty and the genuine manufacturer part was a lot more expensive that the generic one, otherwise I probably would have jacked the car up and done it myself.

Edit: also invest in a code reader and software. Then you can diagnose your own faults easily and determine whether you need a garage to sort the issue. I’ve replaced 3 or 4 different sensors on my crappy car thanks to the code reader.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2019 22:27]
Lambda (oxygen) sensor on a car on 22:28 - Oct 11 with 974 viewsjeera

Can't you just open the window a bit mate?

I have stopped looking up the codes that keep appearing on the dash on mine but suppose I'll have to face them sometime.

I know one is just suggesting an oil change but heck knows what the others are.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2019 2:30]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Lambda (oxygen) sensor on a car on 22:55 - Oct 11 with 954 viewsNewcyBlue

Lambda (oxygen) sensor on a car on 20:42 - Oct 11 by Bent_double

What year is the car.

Depending on age you may have 2 lambda sensors. An upstream and a downstream one.

Also bear in mind that this will also effect how the engine management runs the air fuel mixture, it’s not really just for the MOT.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Lambda (oxygen) sensor on a car on 09:55 - Oct 12 with 857 viewsBent_double

Lambda (oxygen) sensor on a car on 22:55 - Oct 11 by NewcyBlue

What year is the car.

Depending on age you may have 2 lambda sensors. An upstream and a downstream one.

Also bear in mind that this will also effect how the engine management runs the air fuel mixture, it’s not really just for the MOT.

It's pretty old, 2007. Looks like I'm out of my depth here, probably best to pay the professionals to do it! Cheers.

Login to get fewer ads

Lambda (oxygen) sensor on a car on 11:45 - Oct 12 with 835 viewsNewcyBlue

Lambda (oxygen) sensor on a car on 09:55 - Oct 12 by Bent_double

It's pretty old, 2007. Looks like I'm out of my depth here, probably best to pay the professionals to do it! Cheers.

2007 will definitely be Euro 4.

You will have upstream and downstream. Normally the one after the cat is just a check and it’s more common for the ones before the cat to go.

But still. Without seeing the fault codes and having my code manual to hand I wouldn’t be able to say for certain.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024