Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick's pragmatism 11:20 - Oct 13 with 9258 viewsKeaneish

Did he shoot himself in the foot yesterday accepting a draw at Georgia? They now need a win from either of their last two games. Don't fancy them away at Switzerland and a draw isn't much use which could see it go to the final game against Denmark.

Georgia were poor yesterday as we're ROI but there was little in the Irish performance to say Mick went for the 3 points to all but guarantee a place in the Euros. It was another "nowt bad as an away point" display but is it enough?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Mick's pragmatism on 20:02 - Oct 13 with 2927 viewsclive_baker

Mick's pragmatism on 18:37 - Oct 13 by Herbivore

We're not scoring that many goals really, Tranmere and Bolton games aside. We've had four 1-0 wins in our opening 11 games and five of our 8 wins have come by a margin of one goal. The football has only been good in patches if we're honest. It's actually been quite Mick-like at times, just a division lower and with the best squad in the league. What the good feeling shows is that people like winning football matches first and foremost.

I'm sorry but that's absolute BS. If you think our performances are in any way similar to those under MM in his last year then you're clueless. But coming from the one who said we could replace Lambert with a brick and win L1 it doesn't surprise me, you've proven yourself to talk utter nonsense time and time again when it comes to football.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2019 20:09]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Mick's pragmatism on 20:08 - Oct 13 with 2895 viewsHerbivore

Mick's pragmatism on 20:02 - Oct 13 by clive_baker

I'm sorry but that's absolute BS. If you think our performances are in any way similar to those under MM in his last year then you're clueless. But coming from the one who said we could replace Lambert with a brick and win L1 it doesn't surprise me, you've proven yourself to talk utter nonsense time and time again when it comes to football.

Someone's grumpy. Not able to really counter any of my points mind you. It seems if you don't fully worship in the church of St Paul some people get quite upset.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2019 20:15]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Mick's pragmatism on 20:16 - Oct 13 with 2890 viewsclive_baker

Mick's pragmatism on 20:08 - Oct 13 by Herbivore

Someone's grumpy. Not able to really counter any of my points mind you. It seems if you don't fully worship in the church of St Paul some people get quite upset.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2019 20:15]

Why would anyone bother engaging and countering the points of someone who petulantly replies to people as 'dear' or 'grumpy' or 'Mrs Hurst', or whatever other pathetic replies you come out with. You're so blinkered that you're not capable of entertaining any view that isn't aligned with your (typically nonsense) opinions. I saw a post from you just today that was something along the lines of 'I'll agree to disagree but...you're wrong'. You're utterly insufferable.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2019 20:19]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Mick's pragmatism on 20:26 - Oct 13 with 2866 viewsHerbivore

Mick's pragmatism on 20:16 - Oct 13 by clive_baker

Why would anyone bother engaging and countering the points of someone who petulantly replies to people as 'dear' or 'grumpy' or 'Mrs Hurst', or whatever other pathetic replies you come out with. You're so blinkered that you're not capable of entertaining any view that isn't aligned with your (typically nonsense) opinions. I saw a post from you just today that was something along the lines of 'I'll agree to disagree but...you're wrong'. You're utterly insufferable.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2019 20:19]

Well, you could bother engaging because that's the point of a forum. Instead you're just being insulting. I could reciprocate but it's rather beneath me. I think it's rather telling that you've not really tried to refute my perfectly reasonable observations regarding our performances this season, frankly. But I'll duck out here so you guys can create a safe echo chamber with no dissenting points of view.

Mick's pragmatism on 20:42 - Oct 13 with 2863 viewsKeaneish

Mick's pragmatism on 19:49 - Oct 13 by Herbivore

I don't crave attention, dear. My response was to the thread in general as opposed to your OP. I do find the number of threads started about Mick rather odd though. He left 18 months ago and we've been through two managers and a relegation since then.

You find it odd talking about a controversial previous manager on a football forum? What exactly are you on here for other than to agitate? Our club's status is irrelevant in the context of this conversation. You're trying to fashion your own argument out of something that's irrelevant to be relevant.

Mick's pragmatism on 20:49 - Oct 13 with 2857 viewsjaykay

Mick's pragmatism on 19:40 - Oct 13 by Keaneish

Here he is, bang on cue to troll another civil post and discussion - predictably waiting in the wings to provoke an argument out of nothing. Boring, as ever.

The tone of my post would imply there's no bitterness or malice; it's just a discussion about the game yesterday and whether Mick's approach will be his undoing after a lot of good work.

Why do you crave attention so much?

you must not assume that herb is a he.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Mick's pragmatism on 20:53 - Oct 13 with 2841 viewsHerbivore

Mick's pragmatism on 20:42 - Oct 13 by Keaneish

You find it odd talking about a controversial previous manager on a football forum? What exactly are you on here for other than to agitate? Our club's status is irrelevant in the context of this conversation. You're trying to fashion your own argument out of something that's irrelevant to be relevant.

It's a bit odd the amount he's discussed I would say. I'm on here to discuss things ITFC related and other topics of interest. What are you on here for?

Mick's pragmatism on 20:54 - Oct 13 with 2838 viewsHerbivore

Mick's pragmatism on 20:49 - Oct 13 by jaykay

you must not assume that herb is a he.

I can confirm I'm a he.

Login to get fewer ads

Mick's pragmatism on 13:00 - Oct 14 with 2734 viewshaynes_toe1

Mick's pragmatism on 20:02 - Oct 13 by clive_baker

MM in his last year kept us up. PL last season didn't even give us a fighting chance.
Mick's pragmatism on 13:05 - Oct 14 with 2735 viewsitfcjoe

It seems a tough gig there, they just have no goals in the squad.

When they changed it up and bought Connolly on he looked lively but fluffed his chance, but what do you expect from someone with 1 senior start for Brighton and 1 goal in 9 U21s previously, there is just an absolute dearth of goals in the squad/country.

They might as well play Robbie Keane from the bench.

I did laugh when a midfielder went off for a CB in injury time though!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Mick's pragmatism on 13:54 - Oct 14 with 2700 viewsBiGDonnie

Mick's pragmatism on 18:32 - Oct 13 by haynes_toe1

This comparison between PL and MM is all very conveniently missing a slight difference.

PL has a squad which should easily be top 2 in League One. Shocker, we're winning games and scoring goals.

Most of PL games last season were absolutely dreadful. Just as boring as MM football but without the bonus of actually winning some games.

Can't help but feel that MM would have us scoring goals and winning games in the third tier of English football...

Do you think Mick would have us sitting top and unbeaten? Genuine question. I'm not sure he would have.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Mick's pragmatism on 13:59 - Oct 14 with 2691 viewsblueislander

Mick's pragmatism on 13:54 - Oct 14 by BiGDonnie

Do you think Mick would have us sitting top and unbeaten? Genuine question. I'm not sure he would have.

I wouldn’t be sure of that, but I would bet that attendances at Portman Road would not be at their current levels.
Mick's pragmatism on 14:00 - Oct 14 with 2685 viewsfooters

A point's a point, no matter what league you're in.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Mick's pragmatism on 14:11 - Oct 14 with 2672 viewsjaykay

Mick's pragmatism on 20:54 - Oct 13 by Herbivore

I can confirm I'm a he.

well wasn't sure as most hes say barbers not hair dresses, dear, baby, hun is usually used by the fairer sex, all these used by you. then females use the word masturbation where as w@nk is normanally the term of men.
also you never get upset if keane, jewell names are brought up you never say they long gone get over it.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Mick's pragmatism on 14:14 - Oct 14 with 2659 viewsHerbivore

Mick's pragmatism on 14:11 - Oct 14 by jaykay

well wasn't sure as most hes say barbers not hair dresses, dear, baby, hun is usually used by the fairer sex, all these used by you. then females use the word masturbation where as w@nk is normanally the term of men.
also you never get upset if keane, jewell names are brought up you never say they long gone get over it.

The 20th century wants its gender stereotypes back, babe.

And stop bringing up Keane and Jewell, they left years ago. Enjoy the here and now.

Mick's pragmatism on 14:29 - Oct 14 with 2638 viewsPJH

It is quite unlikely that with Mick we would have ever needed to find out if we could be top of the third division and unbeaten.
Mick's pragmatism on 14:53 - Oct 14 with 2619 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Me neither, as we’d almost certainly still be in the Championship

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Mick's pragmatism on 15:18 - Oct 14 with 2590 viewssundaze

Mick's pragmatism on 14:53 - Oct 14 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Me neither, as we’d almost certainly still be in the Championship

And so the never ending cycle continues.
Mick's pragmatism on 09:34 - Oct 15 with 2514 viewsKeaneish

Mick's pragmatism on 14:00 - Oct 14 by footers

A point's a point, no matter what league you're in.

True that, only a draw isn't good enough to qualify. Mick's press conference ahead of tonight....

"Would you be happy with a draw Mick?"

"Yes."

"The Swiss boss was in here earlier saying he was treating this match like a cup final. Will you be doing the same?"

"No."

Mick's pragmatism on 09:42 - Oct 15 with 2506 viewsPositivelyPortman

Who gives a toss about him?

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Mick's pragmatism on 10:27 - Oct 15 with 2474 viewshaynes_toe1

Yes, with this squad in this league. Mick was able to make a lacklustre championship squad that didn't have enough quality for the division, stay in the division comfortably. With an equally lacklustre squad Lambert took us down without any marginal fight or competitiveness.

Like others have said, I don't think it would ever have been a situation as I don't see MM would have been taking us down to League One - we'd still be in the Championship right now.

Although thats clearly not what fans wanted as plenty seem much happier winning matches in a lower league playing lower league style football. Can't help but feel there's an irony when MM was criticised for not having the 'ambition' or gumption to go for wins in games in the championship yet our fanbase is generally happy to accept mediocrity and be playing 3rd tier football. Somewhere, the two don't quite add up.
Mick's pragmatism on 16:33 - Oct 15 with 2430 viewsPositivelyPortman

Mick's pragmatism on 19:50 - Oct 13 by Herbivore

Ooh, Mrs Hurst is in the house.

Indeed I am - you waste of space.
You’re a stupid old woman.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Mick's pragmatism on 16:39 - Oct 15 with 2411 viewsRadlett_blue

Mick's pragmatism on 10:27 - Oct 15 by haynes_toe1

Yes, with this squad in this league. Mick was able to make a lacklustre championship squad that didn't have enough quality for the division, stay in the division comfortably. With an equally lacklustre squad Lambert took us down without any marginal fight or competitiveness.

Like others have said, I don't think it would ever have been a situation as I don't see MM would have been taking us down to League One - we'd still be in the Championship right now.

Although thats clearly not what fans wanted as plenty seem much happier winning matches in a lower league playing lower league style football. Can't help but feel there's an irony when MM was criticised for not having the 'ambition' or gumption to go for wins in games in the championship yet our fanbase is generally happy to accept mediocrity and be playing 3rd tier football. Somewhere, the two don't quite add up.

If Mick had stayed, I reckon we'd have survived in the 2nd tier but crowds would have been down to <15,000. The real problem was that Hurst allowed Mick's reasonable Championship squad to be dismantled & bought sub-standard lower league players. Webster and/or Waghorn may well have still been sold if Mick had stayed, but I bet he'd have reinvested some of the proceeds more wisely.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024