Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. 20:15 - Oct 14 with 12744 viewsnoggin

Absolute scum.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 21:45 - Oct 14 with 3012 viewsWeWereZombies

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 21:40 - Oct 14 by footers

And to think my Bulgarian housemate still doesn't know who Bontcho is and here we are wittering away in Bulgarian. Disgusting if you think about it.

A Bulgarian woman approached me in Buchanan Street bus station (Glasgow) a couple of months ago seemingly because she just wanted someone to talk to before she got on a nus to Aberdeen. For some reason I went off on the 'do you know the only two democracies to ever declare war on one another' subject. She gave me most of a bar of Bulgarian chocolate and went off to catch her coach.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 21:45 - Oct 14 with 3014 viewsSwansea_Blue

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 21:41 - Oct 14 by Dyland

It works.

There are plenty of racist planks in the UK and it would be hypocritical to suggest Bulgaria is more backwards. The difference is we have legislated so that clubs and the FA can't afford to let it continue, and slowly by surely it's been buried, at least in stadiums. Not eradicated, note. And obviously still pernicious in society at large, in pretty much every country.

Although on the rise in grounds according to last season’s crime stats. There’s an element of reporting bias in that, but still. Crazy we’re even having these conversations after decades of awareness.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 21:49 - Oct 14 with 2995 viewsfooters

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 21:45 - Oct 14 by WeWereZombies

A Bulgarian woman approached me in Buchanan Street bus station (Glasgow) a couple of months ago seemingly because she just wanted someone to talk to before she got on a nus to Aberdeen. For some reason I went off on the 'do you know the only two democracies to ever declare war on one another' subject. She gave me most of a bar of Bulgarian chocolate and went off to catch her coach.

Only two? Do tell, sensei... I promise I won't wander off.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 21:50 - Oct 14 with 2992 viewsDyland

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 21:43 - Oct 14 by sparks

No. Bulgaria IS more backwards.

They have not had the same multiculturalism we have had over a prolonged period. Social attitudes on this appear to be closer to the 1980s.

I agree with you in part, but it's not actually so dissimilar here, except as I say, you can't get away with it in quite the same way because we've been legislating for quite a while now.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 21:53 - Oct 14 with 2977 viewssparks

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 21:50 - Oct 14 by Dyland

I agree with you in part, but it's not actually so dissimilar here, except as I say, you can't get away with it in quite the same way because we've been legislating for quite a while now.

Its massively dissimilar. I have been going to football for 30 years. AFC Bournemouth, Ipswich, Bath City, Yeovil, Paulton Rovers, Diss Town- so various levels.

I have never heard significant racist chanting.

Occasional snide comments- maybe. I recall an asian linesman get the odd comment at PR. But that is literally it. I dont doubt that there are some individual pockets of issues- and the odd idiot. But any sort of open, vocal or grouped abuse is so socially unacceptable that it is incredibly rare.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 21:54 - Oct 14 with 2968 viewsWeWereZombies

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 21:49 - Oct 14 by footers

Only two? Do tell, sensei... I promise I won't wander off.

A history teacher I used to know would have said Athens and Sparta but I insist you cannot consider them due to slavery. During the Second World War the United Kingdom declared was on Finland, solely because the Finns had allied themselves with Nazi Germany in order to resist the Soviet Union. I don't think we actually attacked Finland, we had enough on our plate at the time...and as the Finns were making a very decent fist of keeping Russia at bay it might have been a bit strength sapping to have had a go at them.

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 21:55 - Oct 14 with 2963 viewsDyland

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 21:45 - Oct 14 by Swansea_Blue

Although on the rise in grounds according to last season’s crime stats. There’s an element of reporting bias in that, but still. Crazy we’re even having these conversations after decades of awareness.

Aye, but it's still a different level.

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 21:56 - Oct 14 with 2953 viewsfooters

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 21:54 - Oct 14 by WeWereZombies

A history teacher I used to know would have said Athens and Sparta but I insist you cannot consider them due to slavery. During the Second World War the United Kingdom declared was on Finland, solely because the Finns had allied themselves with Nazi Germany in order to resist the Soviet Union. I don't think we actually attacked Finland, we had enough on our plate at the time...and as the Finns were making a very decent fist of keeping Russia at bay it might have been a bit strength sapping to have had a go at them.

Especially with this nutter on their side!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aimo_Koivunen

Imagine taking so much speed you could eat a raw sparrow. Puts Ozzy's antics to shame.

Thank you for learnin' me something new, mister.

Login to get fewer ads

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 21:57 - Oct 14 with 2952 viewsHipsterectomy

I went to Sofia last year and the amount of swastika graffiti was pretty eye-opening

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 22:00 - Oct 14 with 2932 viewsDyland

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 21:53 - Oct 14 by sparks

Its massively dissimilar. I have been going to football for 30 years. AFC Bournemouth, Ipswich, Bath City, Yeovil, Paulton Rovers, Diss Town- so various levels.

I have never heard significant racist chanting.

Occasional snide comments- maybe. I recall an asian linesman get the odd comment at PR. But that is literally it. I dont doubt that there are some individual pockets of issues- and the odd idiot. But any sort of open, vocal or grouped abuse is so socially unacceptable that it is incredibly rare.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Its general absence in the UK, especially football (notwithstanding Swanners' point about recent examples), is in no small part because we've legislated and enacted on those laws relatively (to other nations) seriously. It doesn't mean the UK isn't full of backward racist melts, because it is, I hear them all the time. Just not at televised public events.

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 22:02 - Oct 14 with 2924 viewsDyland

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 21:57 - Oct 14 by Hipsterectomy

I went to Sofia last year and the amount of swastika graffiti was pretty eye-opening

As has been commented on... they were an Axis nation!

I know a couple of Bulgarians and they are in denial about racism. Which is why you see sh1t like tonight, imo.

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 22:03 - Oct 14 with 2916 viewssparks

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 22:00 - Oct 14 by Dyland

That's exactly what I'm saying. Its general absence in the UK, especially football (notwithstanding Swanners' point about recent examples), is in no small part because we've legislated and enacted on those laws relatively (to other nations) seriously. It doesn't mean the UK isn't full of backward racist melts, because it is, I hear them all the time. Just not at televised public events.

I think its far more than legislation. Its socially unacceptable- and thats a big issue. There are some idiots, but they are increasingly a minority and older generations for the most part.

greg Clarke- is a twot. Ian Wright spot on in that regard. He actually said that Uefa take it very seriously which is simply pathetic sycophancy.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 22:04 - Oct 14 with 2905 viewsWeWereZombies

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 21:56 - Oct 14 by footers

Especially with this nutter on their side!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aimo_Koivunen

Imagine taking so much speed you could eat a raw sparrow. Puts Ozzy's antics to shame.

Thank you for learnin' me something new, mister.

I am sort of concerned that the first thing you do when I discuss democracies declaring war with much regret is go off and Google 'Speed freak wildlife destroyers'...

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 22:06 - Oct 14 with 2899 viewsDyland

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 22:03 - Oct 14 by sparks

I think its far more than legislation. Its socially unacceptable- and thats a big issue. There are some idiots, but they are increasingly a minority and older generations for the most part.

greg Clarke- is a twot. Ian Wright spot on in that regard. He actually said that Uefa take it very seriously which is simply pathetic sycophancy.

Agree with your last paragraph.

I put it to you it's become more and more socially unacceptable in no small part BECAUSE we've been legislating for quite a while now. Of course, we're talking about what you can get away with, and where.

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 22:08 - Oct 14 with 2888 viewsfooters

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 22:04 - Oct 14 by WeWereZombies

I am sort of concerned that the first thing you do when I discuss democracies declaring war with much regret is go off and Google 'Speed freak wildlife destroyers'...

He's a man after my own heart, which, coincidentally, is beating at 200 bpm.

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 22:08 - Oct 14 with 2891 viewsGuthrum

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 21:54 - Oct 14 by WeWereZombies

When the Finns were first fighting the Soviets (1939-40), we were supplying them with materiel and even made plans to intervene on behalf of the former. Of course, at that point Nazi Germany and the USSR had a non-agression pact.

It wasn't until the second phase, in 1941, that the Finns piggy-backed on the German attack towards Leningrad to reverse the verdict of the Winter War, with the result that Britain (reluctantly) declared war.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 22:08 - Oct 14 with 2887 viewssparks

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 22:06 - Oct 14 by Dyland

Agree with your last paragraph.

I put it to you it's become more and more socially unacceptable in no small part BECAUSE we've been legislating for quite a while now. Of course, we're talking about what you can get away with, and where.

I think the two things go hand in hand.

My kids are utterly baffled by racism. It has never ocurred to them. Big social compnent.

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 22:08 - Oct 14 with 2884 viewsPinewoodblue

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 21:43 - Oct 14 by sparks

No. Bulgaria IS more backwards.

They have not had the same multiculturalism we have had over a prolonged period. Social attitudes on this appear to be closer to the 1980s.

So right. This isn't just a football problem. Not sure who should take responsibility for tackling this issue on a European wide scale.

The EU are determined to protect the four freedoms, which is admirable, but it has to apply to everyone regardless of the colour of their skin.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 22:25 - Oct 14 with 2821 viewsBent_double

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 22:08 - Oct 14 by sparks

I think the two things go hand in hand.

My kids are utterly baffled by racism. It has never ocurred to them. Big social compnent.

I'm in my late-40's and I'm baffled by it too!

It's all about upbringing/education, I guess.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 22:27 - Oct 14 with 2818 viewssparks

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 22:25 - Oct 14 by Bent_double

I'm in my late-40's and I'm baffled by it too!

It's all about upbringing/education, I guess.

Difference being, it wasnt abnormal when I was at school- nor was it absent from the telly at that time.

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 22:31 - Oct 14 with 2811 viewsronnyd

I thought that Tyrone gave a very mature and balanced interview post match.
I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 22:36 - Oct 14 with 2795 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 22:31 - Oct 14 by ronnyd

I thought that Tyrone gave a very mature and balanced interview post match.

Yep.

Mings 1 Racists 0

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 23:40 - Oct 14 with 2739 viewsChurchman

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 22:00 - Oct 14 by Dyland

Sorry I have to disagree with that. The UK isn’t ‘full of backward racist melts’ and I certainly don’t ‘hear them all the time’. There are plenty of ignorant bigoted people - racist, sexist, ageist, just about every ‘ist’ you can dream up, but as an open society it is changing. It has changed beyond all recognition in my lifetime and will continue to do so - and that includes football matches.

Compared to just about every country I can think of this country’s record of tolerance and adapting to change is pretty good in my view. For the record, I didn’t hear or see the game tonight but my hope before it was that at the first hearing of monkey chants or whatever the team would leave the field. Had I been the Captain, it’s what I’d have done. UEFA and FIFA don’t care any more than the Olympic bods care about drugs. They just care about ‘image’ and money in my opinion.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2019 8:00]
I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 23:45 - Oct 14 with 2736 viewsronnyd

Bulgarian manager interview just shown on ITV states he didn,t hear chanting and then blamed England fans for chants. Deluded
I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 02:42 - Oct 15 with 2687 viewsHullblue

I hope England walk off if the abuse continues. on 21:10 - Oct 14 by itfcjoe

No, would be heading straight back to the hotel bar if I was there!

Exactly what we did. Didn’t see any trouble all day though to be fair. Until the game obviously...

Was very satisfying beating them - singing ‘you’re just a sh!t racist Scotland’ was probably the highlight.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024