Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lawerence and Bennett avoided jail 13:12 - Oct 15 with 7098 viewsElderGrizzly

Because probation officers said they worried they would struggle in jail. Diddums.

Woefully weak from the judge

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/oct/15/derby-tom-lawrence-mason-bennet
Lawerence and Bennett avoided jail on 16:02 - Oct 15 with 1577 viewsfactual_blue

Lawerence and Bennett avoided jail on 16:00 - Oct 15 by heavyweight

Don't think that figure is per week - maybe a bit more than that per year

Yes - my bad, as we youngsters say. The £30k is an average annual cost, which varies from prison to prison. I think the prisons run by the Highly Efficient Private Sector are almost double that, telling you all you need to know about the contracts.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2019 16:21]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Lawerence and Bennett avoided jail on 16:05 - Oct 15 with 1568 viewsEireannach_gorm

Tony Adams was obviously made of sterner stuff.
Lawerence and Bennett avoided jail on 16:11 - Oct 15 with 1556 viewsHerbivore

Lawerence and Bennett avoided jail on 15:56 - Oct 15 by WarkTheWarkITFC

There are literally hundreds of examples going back years. You think that every person that stabs someone to death has picked up a knife for the first time?

There are countless examples of people that should be in prison or a mental hospital being deemed fit to be back in society and then carrying out violent crimes again.

Unless you are advocating locking every criminal up for life I'd be interested to know what any of that has to do with prison not being very effective at rehabilitation or as a deterrent given the high rate of reoffending in the prison community. I'd like to see your evidence that custodial sentences are an effective means of preventing further offending.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Lawerence and Bennett avoided jail on 16:13 - Oct 15 with 1538 viewsRyorry

Lawerence and Bennett avoided jail on 15:54 - Oct 15 by WarkTheWarkITFC

You appear to understand very little.

A work colleague of mine didn't turn up on a Monday once because she'd been killed by a drink driver whilst she was walking home that weekend.

There is a massive line between recklessness and intent. No drink driving is acceptable. But there is a big difference between hurting someone through being reckless and hurting someone through intending to hurt them.

You're telling me that running someone over when distracted by your phone going off is not a world away from deliberately targeting that person and running them down?

Nobody got killed and it is luck. But that luck has a massive part to play in sentencing. It's why Luke McCormack, who was twice over the limit, went to prison for years for killing two children, when somebody six times over the limit who hits a brick wall can walk away with community service.

It's wrong that luck is so heavily involved, but that's how these things work. People have gone to prison for 5 years for killing someone with one punch, when other people have not gone to jail when they've repeatedly punched someone, just because of the way the two victims fell. In that case recklessness and intent can literally be reversed rather than close.

It's not "luck" that drivers get into cars whilst drunk and drive away though - those are deliberate choices, and knowingly illegal acts, which every driver is aware carries the risk of killing or causing life-changing injuries. If they're not aware of that, they shouldn't be driving.

Haven't read the background to the story - could their friends/those around them on the night have done more to stop them?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Lawerence and Bennett avoided jail on 16:15 - Oct 15 with 1532 viewsthatdamgood89

Bonkers decision. Absolutely bonkers.

They won't BUT I'd love the EFL to ban them for bringing the game into disrepute. We must start standing up for integrity and the fact these people are role models to young and at-risk people.

Put players on the spot. Behave follow the law of the land, don't bet on games OR BE KICKED OUT and be forced to work at ...insert retail shop.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2019 16:16]

Hey :) Please check out my Ipswich Town F.C podcast 'Talk Of The Town' https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPhPy_79sSvPSugh32vN8qg?view_as=subscriber Available every Wednesday on; YouTube Spotify Buzzsrpout Google Podcasts Itune Podcasts

Lawerence and Bennett avoided jail on 16:17 - Oct 15 with 1520 viewsfactual_blue

Lawerence and Bennett avoided jail on 15:40 - Oct 15 by BlueBadger

In all fairness, they'll probably do society more good by getting out into the community, learning some humility and helping out someone rather than sitting in a cell needing close watching because they're 'celebrities' and some lag wants to boost his nick-cred by duffing them up.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2019 15:41]

Our nephew has the right idea. He's a fireman, and says the best punishment for drink-drivers is for them to spend a week on nights with a fire crew who spend most of their time scraping those killed by drunk drivers off a motorway.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Lawerence and Bennett avoided jail on 16:51 - Oct 15 with 1486 viewsElderGrizzly

Lawerence and Bennett avoided jail on 13:18 - Oct 15 by Herbivore

It's not the norm to get jail time for drink driving when it's a first offence.

They left the scene of the accident too. That is the difference
Lawerence and Bennett avoided jail on 16:57 - Oct 15 with 1476 viewsBlueBadger

Lawerence and Bennett avoided jail on 16:13 - Oct 15 by Ryorry

It's not "luck" that drivers get into cars whilst drunk and drive away though - those are deliberate choices, and knowingly illegal acts, which every driver is aware carries the risk of killing or causing life-changing injuries. If they're not aware of that, they shouldn't be driving.

Haven't read the background to the story - could their friends/those around them on the night have done more to stop them?

Didn't DCFC offer them drivers as well?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Lawerence and Bennett avoided jail on 17:01 - Oct 15 with 1476 viewsBlueBadger

Lawerence and Bennett avoided jail on 16:17 - Oct 15 by factual_blue

Our nephew has the right idea. He's a fireman, and says the best punishment for drink-drivers is for them to spend a week on nights with a fire crew who spend most of their time scraping those killed by drunk drivers off a motorway.

In a similar vein, I've often thought that I'd quite like to have Matt Hancock shadow me on a night shift, just so's that he can see how bloody finicky and time-consuming all his bloody apps are.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Lawerence and Bennett avoided jail on 17:02 - Oct 15 with 1471 viewsGaryCooper

Lawerence and Bennett avoided jail on 16:15 - Oct 15 by thatdamgood89

Bonkers decision. Absolutely bonkers.

They won't BUT I'd love the EFL to ban them for bringing the game into disrepute. We must start standing up for integrity and the fact these people are role models to young and at-risk people.

Put players on the spot. Behave follow the law of the land, don't bet on games OR BE KICKED OUT and be forced to work at ...insert retail shop.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2019 16:16]

Lawrence was selected for the Welsh squad immediately after the incident, no shame, no shame at all.
Lawerence and Bennett avoided jail on 17:04 - Oct 15 with 1469 viewsHerbivore

Lawerence and Bennett avoided jail on 16:51 - Oct 15 by ElderGrizzly

They left the scene of the accident too. That is the difference

Although leaving the scene wouldn't usually result in a custodial sentence for a first offence either. I don't see anything unusual in the sentencing here.

Lawerence and Bennett avoided jail on 17:08 - Oct 15 with 1464 viewsSwansea_Blue

Lawerence and Bennett avoided jail on 16:13 - Oct 15 by Ryorry

Broadly agree. Although it's well known that alcohol impairs judgement. So we're not talking about people making rational choices. Not that that excuses them of course.

I'm not sure who else was present - it all looked pretty messy from the few pics I've seen. And they were indeed offered cars by the club earlier - how things could have been different.

Still, the sentencing seems about right. There is an argument for whether the clubs/EFL should do anything else. I'd say there's a very strong case for further sanctions due to them being role models, etc. Club threw them straight into the team/bench the following Saturday though, as it's all about results at any cost.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Lawerence and Bennett avoided jail on 17:10 - Oct 15 with 1454 viewsHerbivore

Lawerence and Bennett avoided jail on 17:08 - Oct 15 by Swansea_Blue

Broadly agree. Although it's well known that alcohol impairs judgement. So we're not talking about people making rational choices. Not that that excuses them of course.

I'm not sure who else was present - it all looked pretty messy from the few pics I've seen. And they were indeed offered cars by the club earlier - how things could have been different.

Still, the sentencing seems about right. There is an argument for whether the clubs/EFL should do anything else. I'd say there's a very strong case for further sanctions due to them being role models, etc. Club threw them straight into the team/bench the following Saturday though, as it's all about results at any cost.

Didn't we once have Gary Croft playing with an electronic tag?

Lawerence and Bennett avoided jail on 17:11 - Oct 15 with 1454 viewsthatdamgood89

Lawerence and Bennett avoided jail on 17:02 - Oct 15 by GaryCooper

Lawrence was selected for the Welsh squad immediately after the incident, no shame, no shame at all.

seems most on forum agree with wales and derby as my post currently sits at -1.

All tv adverts have you

Arrested
Jailed
Prison
Sacked from Job

Just not if your a multimillionaire player who could have afforded any number of uber's and or even had a driver for the night.

Hey :) Please check out my Ipswich Town F.C podcast 'Talk Of The Town' https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPhPy_79sSvPSugh32vN8qg?view_as=subscriber Available every Wednesday on; YouTube Spotify Buzzsrpout Google Podcasts Itune Podcasts

Lawerence and Bennett avoided jail on 17:49 - Oct 15 with 1420 viewsitfcjoe

Lawerence and Bennett avoided jail on 16:57 - Oct 15 by BlueBadger

Didn't DCFC offer them drivers as well?

That sounded like Derby covering their arses, they prob have accounts with local taxi forms they told them to use or something. Their statement made out they had drivers sitting there waiting that were sent home

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Lawerence and Bennett avoided jail on 17:54 - Oct 15 with 1409 viewsRadlett_blue

Lawerence and Bennett avoided jail on 17:10 - Oct 15 by Herbivore

Didn't we once have Gary Croft playing with an electronic tag?

Yes. Croft played for Town when tagged after leaving prison. He had served a month in jail of a 4 month sentence for driving when disqualified & perverting the course of justice (lying about it). Alcohol was not involved as far as I am aware.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024