Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
NI only backstop 18:21 - Oct 15 with 4366 viewsitfcjoe

Does this not make NI the beat of both worlds, in the EU and in the UK?

A good place to do business and invest?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

NI only backstop on 18:26 - Oct 15 with 2902 viewsFunge

You'd think so, wouldn't you?
NI only backstop on 18:27 - Oct 15 with 2894 viewsitfcjoe

NI only backstop on 18:26 - Oct 15 by Funge

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

I’d better sort a reconnaissance mission out

NI only backstop on 18:30 - Oct 15 with 2881 viewsFunge

NI only backstop on 18:27 - Oct 15 by itfcjoe

Belfast is a well good city; only had the one night out there but it was cracking.
NI only backstop on 18:31 - Oct 15 with 2879 viewschicoazul

That is what Gove thinks, who came up with this idea.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

NI only backstop on 18:33 - Oct 15 with 2866 viewsDarth_Koont

Yep. Surprised the DUP have gone with it but maybe Boris has promised them they can legally march around Catholics' gardens in their sash.

This is a big statement for Scotland though. It'll adversely affect the investment Scotland are trying to attract and as the region already most in favour of staying in the single market and customs union then I think it'll push them even further towards a referendum if not independence itself.

Pronouns: He/Him

NI only backstop on 18:37 - Oct 15 with 2837 viewsitfcjoe

NI only backstop on 18:33 - Oct 15 by Darth_Koont

Yep. Surprised the DUP have gone with it but maybe Boris has promised them they can legally march around Catholics' gardens in their sash.

This is a big statement for Scotland though. It'll adversely affect the investment Scotland are trying to attract and as the region already most in favour of staying in the single market and customs union then I think it'll push them even further towards a referendum if not independence itself.

SNP aren’t going to go into coalition with anyone without promise of another Independence Referendum, and is be amazed if Tories can get a majority, and no one else can with the electoral maths

NI only backstop on 18:39 - Oct 15 with 2827 viewschicoazul

Let's hope so.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

NI only backstop on 18:40 - Oct 15 with 2823 viewsDarth_Koont

NI only backstop on 18:37 - Oct 15 by itfcjoe

SNP aren’t going to go into coalition with anyone without promise of another Independence Referendum, and is be amazed if Tories can get a majority, and no one else can with the electoral maths

Agreed. But getting the rump end of Brexit - not that Northern Ireland should have got it either - will no doubt push many waverers and perhaps even some soft unionist Remainers further towards independence.

Login to get fewer ads

NI only backstop on 18:40 - Oct 15 with 2823 viewsSwansea_Blue

Not quite. NI wouldn't be in the EU; it would only be in the same customs territory. Other benefits of being in the EU wouldn't apply, as I understand it.

It's the EU's original suggestion from Feb 2018 as they understood the nature of the problem whilst we were shouting slogans at each other - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43224785

Still got to get it past the DUP and Parliament though. Obviously the DUP will be dead set against.

But sure, if frictionless entry into the EU without customs delays was your thing, it sounds like it might make sense to relocate to NI if you could.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

NI only backstop on 18:41 - Oct 15 with 2814 viewsDarth_Koont

NI only backstop on 18:39 - Oct 15 by chicoazul

Let's hope so.

Yes. They're going to decriminalise drugs and outlaw trolling.

NI only backstop on 18:46 - Oct 15 with 2769 viewsSwansea_Blue

Is there any evidence the DUP have gone for it? My understanding is that whatever is agreed (if anything) in the talks with the EU today still has to be run by parliament. i.e. Boris is doing exactly the same thing May did and wil have the same problems getting it through Parliament - it won't be Brexity enough for the headbangers and the DUP will be against divergence from the UK.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2019 18:48]

NI only backstop on 18:48 - Oct 15 with 2744 viewschicoazul

NI only backstop on 18:41 - Oct 15 by Darth_Koont

Yes. They're going to decriminalise drugs and outlaw trolling.

How will that work though? What if the people who troll take stimulants?

NI only backstop on 18:50 - Oct 15 with 2739 viewsDarth_Koont

NI only backstop on 18:46 - Oct 15 by Swansea_Blue

Is there any evidence the DUP have gone for it? My understanding is that whatever is agreed (if anything) in the talks with the EU today still has to be run by parliament. i.e. Boris is doing exactly the same thing May did and wil have the same problems getting it through Parliament - it won't be Brexity enough for the headbangers and the DUP will be against divergence from the UK.

I assumed that it must have been talked about with the DUP. But, yeah, who knows?

May herself and the DUP were totally against it when it was the EU's idea.

NI only backstop on 18:52 - Oct 15 with 2734 viewsDarth_Koont

NI only backstop on 18:48 - Oct 15 by chicoazul

Decriminalising drugs is about tackling the drugs problem rather than pushing it underground or under bridges.

NI only backstop on 18:52 - Oct 15 with 2737 viewschicoazul

NI only backstop on 18:46 - Oct 15 by Swansea_Blue

Someone has explained to them what Joe alludes to; if they manage it right NI will have a host of advantages nowhere else in Europe will enjoy in quite the same way. No wonder the French are agitating.

NI only backstop on 18:53 - Oct 15 with 2729 viewsHerbivore

NI only backstop on 18:48 - Oct 15 by chicoazul

Think about that for just a couple of seconds. Decriminalising drugs doesn't mean drug takers are immune from prosecution for other crimes unrelated to drugs.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

NI only backstop on 18:54 - Oct 15 with 2724 viewsDarth_Koont

NI only backstop on 18:52 - Oct 15 by chicoazul

Someone has explained to them what Joe alludes to; if they manage it right NI will have a host of advantages nowhere else in Europe will enjoy in quite the same way. No wonder the French are agitating.

Apart from Switzerland, Norway and Iceland. Northern Cyprus too I believe.

NI only backstop on 18:55 - Oct 15 with 2721 viewsNthQldITFC

NI only backstop on 18:27 - Oct 15 by itfcjoe

I wouldn't wear a balaclava, were I you.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

NI only backstop on 18:55 - Oct 15 with 2715 viewschicoazul

NI only backstop on 18:54 - Oct 15 by Darth_Koont

Apart from Switzerland, Norway and Iceland. Northern Cyprus too I believe.

Beg pardon, I meant within the EU.

NI only backstop on 18:56 - Oct 15 with 2710 viewsnoggin

A bit like living near an underground station that's in both zones 1 and 2.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

NI only backstop on 18:57 - Oct 15 with 2705 viewsDarth_Koont

NI only backstop on 18:55 - Oct 15 by chicoazul

Beg pardon, I meant within the EU.

But NI wouldn't be within the EU.

NI only backstop on 18:57 - Oct 15 with 2702 viewschicoazul

NI only backstop on 18:52 - Oct 15 by Darth_Koont

Decriminalising drugs is about tackling the drugs problem rather than pushing it underground or under bridges.

Seeing such a grand social experiment in Scotland, a land known worldwide for sobriety and asceticism, is only further adding to my desire for Independent Scotland.

NI only backstop on 18:59 - Oct 15 with 2689 viewsSwansea_Blue

But when this same plan was presented to them previously, they pretty much said over their dead bodies. I haven't seen anything public to suggest they'll support this and they are not part of the negotiations (as far as I'm aware).

But who knows.

The 'benefits' aren't that great (less than an EU member state has) as we're only talking about customs alignment. We'll see, but I'll be surprised if theuy support.

Although it probably doesn't matter. Even with their support the government still doesn't have a majority. Even if all the previous 34 tory rebels support it, Boris still needs to win over the DUP and another 27/28 MPs to get a majority. In May's last 'meaningful vote' they won over 9 MPs from other parties. And this is a harder Brexit.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2019 19:07]

NI only backstop on 19:07 - Oct 15 with 2654 viewsDarth_Koont

NI only backstop on 18:57 - Oct 15 by chicoazul

Seeing such a grand social experiment in Scotland, a land known worldwide for sobriety and asceticism, is only further adding to my desire for Independent Scotland.

Scotland has a massive drugs problem. Whereas you think keeping doing the same thing but expecting a different result is the answer.

Thanks for calling. You're listening to Talk Radio and the time is 7:07.

NI only backstop on 19:32 - Oct 15 with 2559 viewsxrayspecs

NI only backstop on 18:59 - Oct 15 by Swansea_Blue

But when this same plan was presented to them previously, they pretty much said over their dead bodies. I haven't seen anything public to suggest they'll support this and they are not part of the negotiations (as far as I'm aware).

But who knows.

The 'benefits' aren't that great (less than an EU member state has) as we're only talking about customs alignment. We'll see, but I'll be surprised if theuy support.

Although it probably doesn't matter. Even with their support the government still doesn't have a majority. Even if all the previous 34 tory rebels support it, Boris still needs to win over the DUP and another 27/28 MPs to get a majority. In May's last 'meaningful vote' they won over 9 MPs from other parties. And this is a harder Brexit.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2019 19:07]

DUP are in daily talks with No10 so will know what is on the table. Boris would not be agreeing to this option without knowing he has DUP support. DUP will have either warmed to the idea or have secured a settlement with No10 for their co-operation.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024