Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
London commuters.... 08:32 - Oct 17 with 22450 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

.....stressy lot aren't they?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/extinction-rebellion-tube-disruption-l

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

London commuters.... on 09:46 - Oct 17 with 1741 viewsBiGDonnie

A commuters life is a stressful one!

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

London commuters.... on 09:47 - Oct 17 with 1742 viewsSwansea_Blue

London commuters.... on 09:42 - Oct 17 by BanksterDebtSlave

As I said ....stressy lot aren't they.

Just a bit. I get a bit miffed when some bozo holds up the queue in the canteen because he's forgotten his wallet, but I don't pile in and start kicking him in the head.

We're being wound up into a seething mass of hatred. It's so obvious, yet people don't have the brains to resist.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

London commuters.... on 09:48 - Oct 17 with 1739 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

London commuters.... on 09:35 - Oct 17 by footers

Sure. Creating disruption creates headlines. Political change is only forced through the media. Sad but true. The longer something is kept on the news agenda the more likely it is to change.

Happy to help.

There are literally endless ways to cause disruption though - so doing so to something that the protestors should be encouraging is monumentally stupid

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

London commuters.... on 09:48 - Oct 17 with 1734 viewsBent_double

London commuters.... on 08:44 - Oct 17 by StokieBlue

It's just an idiotic move. If you're trying to garner public support is probably best not to stop people getting into work.

It also seems to be a lot of older people doing the most disruptive protests. There is no doubt they have a valid point but it's an easy one to make when you've spent the previous 50 years flying around the globe or racking up a carbon footprint of your own.

SB

Maybe I'm missing the point of XR, but surely they want to disrupt/annoy/anger people going about their everyday tasks? They're trying to make a point that unless ordinary people do more now, then these 'normal, everyday tasks' won't be possible in 20/30/40 years time as climate change has made it impossible.

I sit at home watching their actions, and how angry people get with them, with a sense of amusement - because it hasn't affected me personally, even though what's happening to the planet will eventually affect me/my children/grandchildren.

If an XR group were to stand outside my home & business and prevent me from earning money, then sure I'd get angry, but maybe I'd be more inclined to do something rather than just sitting on my backside.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

London commuters.... on 09:50 - Oct 17 with 1726 viewsfooters

London commuters.... on 09:44 - Oct 17 by giant_stow

Punching down isn't a great way to win over the masses. Or is this just another exercise in self-fulfillment, rather than actually achieving change?

You don't need to get everyone 'onside'. Unless the man on the street is a politician or CEO, then trying to appease everyone is pointless. Creating awareness is what matters.

A tiny % of London commuters were affected, me included. Attacking the protestors is more backwards than whatever actions they're taking, imo.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

London commuters.... on 09:51 - Oct 17 with 1712 viewsfooters

London commuters.... on 09:48 - Oct 17 by Bent_double

Maybe I'm missing the point of XR, but surely they want to disrupt/annoy/anger people going about their everyday tasks? They're trying to make a point that unless ordinary people do more now, then these 'normal, everyday tasks' won't be possible in 20/30/40 years time as climate change has made it impossible.

I sit at home watching their actions, and how angry people get with them, with a sense of amusement - because it hasn't affected me personally, even though what's happening to the planet will eventually affect me/my children/grandchildren.

If an XR group were to stand outside my home & business and prevent me from earning money, then sure I'd get angry, but maybe I'd be more inclined to do something rather than just sitting on my backside.

Which is an irony of this thread. Most here presumably are all unaffected by the protest and are upset on behalf of imagined people they don't know. I assume most commuted into work by car this morning and will never be disrupted. They just want to give the protestors a kicking.

London commuters.... on 09:52 - Oct 17 with 1702 viewsartsbossbeard

London commuters.... on 09:50 - Oct 17 by footers

You don't need to get everyone 'onside'. Unless the man on the street is a politician or CEO, then trying to appease everyone is pointless. Creating awareness is what matters.

A tiny % of London commuters were affected, me included. Attacking the protestors is more backwards than whatever actions they're taking, imo.

The problem being here is that everyone (bar Trump) is actually onside.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

London commuters.... on 09:53 - Oct 17 with 1691 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

London commuters.... on 09:52 - Oct 17 by artsbossbeard

The problem being here is that everyone (bar Trump) is actually onside.

You think....seriously?

Login to get fewer ads

London commuters.... on 09:55 - Oct 17 with 1679 viewsStokieBlue

London commuters.... on 09:53 - Oct 17 by BanksterDebtSlave

You think....seriously?

What do you consider being onside Bankster?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

London commuters.... on 09:58 - Oct 17 with 1668 viewsSwansea_Blue

London commuters.... on 09:48 - Oct 17 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

There are literally endless ways to cause disruption though - so doing so to something that the protestors should be encouraging is monumentally stupid

It does seem counterintuitive, although there are a lot of assumption about what XR are trying to do. Their only aim is to affect change at government level, not win over the public (they do state they want to mobilise 3.5% of the public in carrying out action, but that's as far as it goes).

General disruption will get the attention of the government. It won't win them friends, but then I suspect the ones wanting to kick the crap out of them would never be sympathetic to their cause anyway.

London commuters.... on 09:59 - Oct 17 with 1665 viewsBackToRussia

If only there were other ways to get around London other than the dlr and the jubilee line. But there aren't. Not a single one.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

London commuters.... on 09:59 - Oct 17 with 1662 viewsfactual_blue

London commuters.... on 09:27 - Oct 17 by giant_stow

Oops hadn't read your post, sorry for the duplication.

Why attack the tube? It's a symbol of getting something right.

The tube - or the 'magic underground devil horse carriage' as you norfukkers call it.

London Underground fact of the day. People travelled on the London underground to witness the last public execution in the UK.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

London commuters.... on 10:00 - Oct 17 with 1663 viewsfooters

London commuters.... on 09:58 - Oct 17 by Swansea_Blue

It does seem counterintuitive, although there are a lot of assumption about what XR are trying to do. Their only aim is to affect change at government level, not win over the public (they do state they want to mobilise 3.5% of the public in carrying out action, but that's as far as it goes).

General disruption will get the attention of the government. It won't win them friends, but then I suspect the ones wanting to kick the crap out of them would never be sympathetic to their cause anyway.

Exactly, buh.

And just as an aside, here's an article my doctor mate wrote about her involvement with XR... Far from being the 'crusties' portrayed by the tabloids, many are serious professionals who want nothing more than to help avert a crisis. Worth a read.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/extinction-rebellion-protests-london-doctor

London commuters.... on 10:03 - Oct 17 with 1649 viewsStokieBlue

London commuters.... on 09:59 - Oct 17 by BackToRussia

If only there were other ways to get around London other than the dlr and the jubilee line. But there aren't. Not a single one.

I cycle and I love it, although I have bought a new bike so I can use the towpath after being hit by a car down in Whitechapel.

I'm not sure exactly how but if they could improve the cycling infrastructure further I have no doubt that many more people would use it. Unfortunately certain areas (Whitechapel being one) are just awful to cycle though and pretty dangerous.

There needs to be some joined up thinking at government level on this.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

London commuters.... on 10:06 - Oct 17 with 1630 viewsallezlesbleus

London commuters.... on 09:39 - Oct 17 by footers

What about the poor people who work in those offices, eh? Or the people who have to clean it up?

That is the whole point. It affects the people working in the building that makes or has an impact in making the decisions that people are protesting about. The cleaners "work to rule", so continue to clean the offices (once they have gained access), but refuse to clean up the manure outside as this isn't in their job description.
London commuters.... on 10:06 - Oct 17 with 1630 viewsSarge

London commuters.... on 09:51 - Oct 17 by footers

Which is an irony of this thread. Most here presumably are all unaffected by the protest and are upset on behalf of imagined people they don't know. I assume most commuted into work by car this morning and will never be disrupted. They just want to give the protestors a kicking.

So what you’re saying is, if something doesn’t affect you then you shouldn’t be bothered by the effect it has on other people. That’s the problem at the heart of climate change, people (incorrectly) don’t think they’ll be affected and therefore don’t care.
London commuters.... on 10:06 - Oct 17 with 1630 viewsgiant_stow

London commuters.... on 09:50 - Oct 17 by footers

Seeing those protestors attacked like that was actually quite disturbing. Shows where we're at as a country, but if I was a leader of this rebellion, I'd be doubly troubled - I'd be wonderring how we were losing this campaign so badly.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

London commuters.... on 10:07 - Oct 17 with 1625 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

London commuters.... on 09:55 - Oct 17 by StokieBlue

What do you consider being onside Bankster?

SB

Yoga and mindfulness once a day at a bare minimum.

London commuters.... on 10:07 - Oct 17 with 1626 viewsfactual_blue

London commuters.... on 08:34 - Oct 17 by artsbossbeard

I'm all for demonstrations on such matters, however, if ER wants us out of cars and onto cleaner transport, isn't (a much improved) tube travel the better option here?

They should concentrate on shooting drivers of 4x4s.

London commuters.... on 10:07 - Oct 17 with 1623 viewsSwansea_Blue

London commuters.... on 10:00 - Oct 17 by footers

Exactly, buh.

And just as an aside, here's an article my doctor mate wrote about her involvement with XR... Far from being the 'crusties' portrayed by the tabloids, many are serious professionals who want nothing more than to help avert a crisis. Worth a read.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/extinction-rebellion-protests-london-doctor

Yes, well worth a read that. We see the same here - plenty of academics are supporting the protests, and we have a group going down to London this weekend. It's certainly not all “nose-ringed crusties”.

London commuters.... on 10:09 - Oct 17 with 1613 viewsSwansea_Blue

London commuters.... on 10:03 - Oct 17 by StokieBlue

I cycle and I love it, although I have bought a new bike so I can use the towpath after being hit by a car down in Whitechapel.

I'm not sure exactly how but if they could improve the cycling infrastructure further I have no doubt that many more people would use it. Unfortunately certain areas (Whitechapel being one) are just awful to cycle though and pretty dangerous.

There needs to be some joined up thinking at government level on this.

SB

"There needs to be some joined up thinking at government level on this.'

Which is exactly why XR are causing a nuisance of themselves.

London commuters.... on 10:09 - Oct 17 with 1611 viewsfactual_blue

London commuters.... on 09:47 - Oct 17 by Swansea_Blue

Just a bit. I get a bit miffed when some bozo holds up the queue in the canteen because he's forgotten his wallet, but I don't pile in and start kicking him in the head.

We're being wound up into a seething mass of hatred. It's so obvious, yet people don't have the brains to resist.

Yeah - sorry about that.

London commuters.... on 10:10 - Oct 17 with 1604 viewsfooters

London commuters.... on 10:06 - Oct 17 by Sarge

So what you’re saying is, if something doesn’t affect you then you shouldn’t be bothered by the effect it has on other people. That’s the problem at the heart of climate change, people (incorrectly) don’t think they’ll be affected and therefore don’t care.

I wonder what effect global warming will have on everyone? Hmm. Really makes ya fink.

Funny to read the Lowestoft Journal news comments attacking the local XR protest. For a seaside town damaged more and more by flooding each year, you'd have thought they'd be a bit more understanding of the problem!

London commuters.... on 10:11 - Oct 17 with 1599 viewsfactual_blue

London commuters.... on 09:19 - Oct 17 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

No ones really argued about the planet point in this thread though, just pointed out that stopping people using public transport to get to work is somewhat self-defeating, not to mention unlikely to get anyone onside

Thought you’d have been able to see that fairly easily given the view you must have up there on your 20ft high horse

The key thing I learnt about work is that 100% of people in 99.9% of jobs are doing stuff that is of no significance or importance whatsoever.

London commuters.... on 10:12 - Oct 17 with 1599 viewsgiant_stow

London commuters.... on 09:51 - Oct 17 by footers

I walked 20mins each way to school and have just started work at my desk at home. Does that mean I can't feel solidarity with people affected? And their crime against the planet? To use public transport!!

Bizarre.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024