Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
London commuters.... 08:32 - Oct 17 with 22342 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

.....stressy lot aren't they?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/extinction-rebellion-tube-disruption-l

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

London commuters.... on 08:28 - Oct 18 with 1998 viewsgiant_stow

London commuters.... on 08:27 - Oct 18 by BanksterDebtSlave

Not a lot to disagree with there.....in fact the woolly middle class nature of XR is one I have made on here many times....people didn't like it!

Definitely seems to be something they nerd to think about

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

London commuters.... on 08:28 - Oct 18 with 2001 viewsbluelagos

London commuters.... on 08:23 - Oct 18 by BanksterDebtSlave

The comment about the city relates to the DLR.....the more general point was about stressy commuters.....maybe some on here find their actions acceptable, this countryside potterer does not.

Attacking protesters is a violent act, and I struggle to see that as justified. But the video shows the guy on the train aim a kick at the head of a commuter...what did he think would be the reaction to that?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

London commuters.... on 08:36 - Oct 18 with 1991 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

London commuters.... on 07:39 - Oct 18 by StokieBlue

This is a pretty good summary of yesterday's events and the reasons for some of the anger and confrontations. Might be worth considering some of them Debtster rather than dismissing it with a hand wave as just some unconvinced city types.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/17/extinction-rebellion-canni

SB

There is a lot to agree with in there and the woolly middle class appearance of XR is why I have not participated (Ulla .) But do me a favour....flowery Guardian bull at its finest...
 "But if you’re on a zero-hours contract, knowing that being even a few minutes late means your shift will be cancelled today, then it doesn’t really matter what political point is being made by the guy stopping your train leaving or your bus getting across the bridge. What matters is that you’re scared."

....no, just thugs!

London commuters.... on 08:37 - Oct 18 with 1985 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

London commuters.... on 08:28 - Oct 18 by bluelagos

Attacking protesters is a violent act, and I struggle to see that as justified. But the video shows the guy on the train aim a kick at the head of a commuter...what did he think would be the reaction to that?

Yep....big mistake!

London commuters.... on 08:40 - Oct 18 with 1977 viewsChurchman

London commuters.... on 08:36 - Oct 17 by StokieBlue

What do you expect to happen when people can't get into work? What if that has knock on issues?

How about I come park in your drive and you lose all your income for the day?

SB

The great news is that it is not illegal to park on his drive. And if he damages your vehicle you can have him arrested for criminal damage.
London commuters.... on 08:40 - Oct 18 with 1979 viewsm14_blue

London commuters.... on 08:28 - Oct 18 by bluelagos

Although it was a commuter at the head of an angry mob trying to drag him off the roof.

I think targeting public transport is a mistake, and actually think that much of their protests are counter productive, but the glee in that mob violence is the very worst of humanity. Being made late for work doesn’t give you an excuse to act like that
London commuters.... on 09:04 - Oct 18 with 1947 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

The comment about the city relates to the DLR.....the more general point was about stressy commuters.....maybe some on here find their actions acceptable, this countryside potterer does not.

You do realise the DLR has a lot more stops than Canary Wharf right?

I don’t think anyone has said that their actions were acceptable, but just because the protestors were on the receiving end or violence doesn’t make their protest any less stupid or misguided

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

London commuters.... on 09:08 - Oct 18 with 1941 viewsbluelagos

London commuters.... on 08:40 - Oct 18 by m14_blue

Although it was a commuter at the head of an angry mob trying to drag him off the roof.

I think targeting public transport is a mistake, and actually think that much of their protests are counter productive, but the glee in that mob violence is the very worst of humanity. Being made late for work doesn’t give you an excuse to act like that

Fair comment, the guy aiming the kick was clearly scared but it was a pretty stupid action that got repaid with interest.

Login to get fewer ads

London commuters.... on 09:08 - Oct 18 with 1940 viewsStokieBlue

I agree it's not acceptable to beat someone up.

However the countryside potterer seems to think it's OK to stop people getting to jobs where they won't get paid if they aren't on time and won't be able to provide for their families.

It was a silly generalisation without any nuance in order to have a dig at people you don't agree with.

SB
[Post edited 18 Oct 2019 9:13]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

London commuters.... on 09:13 - Oct 18 with 1926 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

London commuters.... on 09:08 - Oct 18 by StokieBlue

However the countryside potterer seems to think it's OK to stop people getting to jobs where they won't get paid if they aren't on time and won't be able to provide for their families.

It was a silly generalisation without any nuance in order to have a dig at people you don't agree with.

SB

Maybe it is their terms and conditions that need addressing.

London commuters.... on 09:15 - Oct 18 with 1921 viewsbluelagos

London commuters.... on 09:08 - Oct 18 by StokieBlue

SB

What does Bankster's location and/or job have to do with it?

The argument is that we are facing a climate emergency. Peaceful direct action was met with violent reaction. Of course commuters were p*sssd off, but that is a job for the police not the public to address.

For what it's worth, I am with the Xr protesters who felt targeting an environmentally form of transport is counter productive. If you want to target the ciry (or say BP) target them driectly, not via a tube that is heading to Canary Warfe.

London commuters.... on 09:15 - Oct 18 with 1920 viewsStokieBlue

London commuters.... on 09:13 - Oct 18 by BanksterDebtSlave

That's a different subject and worthy of discussion.

One however has to live in the moment and to many to looks quite high and mighty to sit in the countryside without anything affecting you and laud it down on people being affected in the city from an incredibly high horse.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

London commuters.... on 09:18 - Oct 18 with 1911 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

London commuters.... on 09:15 - Oct 18 by StokieBlue

One however has to live in the moment and to many to looks quite high and mighty to sit in the countryside without anything affecting you and laud it down on people being affected in the city from an incredibly high horse.

SB

You can have my address if you like to make parking on my drive easier....I promise I definitely won't punch you and will happily take the day off in solidarity with your cause.

London commuters.... on 09:18 - Oct 18 with 1910 viewsHerbivore

London commuters.... on 09:15 - Oct 18 by StokieBlue

SB

You're wasting your time trying to get BDS to shift from his ideological purity to actually engaging with the realities of people's lives.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

London commuters.... on 09:21 - Oct 18 with 1906 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

London commuters.... on 09:15 - Oct 18 by bluelagos

What does Bankster's location and/or job have to do with it?

The argument is that we are facing a climate emergency. Peaceful direct action was met with violent reaction. Of course commuters were p*sssd off, but that is a job for the police not the public to address.

For what it's worth, I am with the Xr protesters who felt targeting an environmentally form of transport is counter productive. If you want to target the ciry (or say BP) target them driectly, not via a tube that is heading to Canary Warfe.

....only Section 14 was and is preventing this option....maybe 2 people on a carriage is all that was left.

London commuters.... on 09:22 - Oct 18 with 1904 viewsfooters

London commuters.... on 09:13 - Oct 18 by BanksterDebtSlave

Ah no, silly sausage! Cameron and the 'Party of the workers' insist people love the flexibility of zero hours contracts!

In any case, they won't have jobs to go to should things keep going the way they are. But as ever, let's focus on the personal, the individual and the protestors themselves.

What would be a preferred method of effective non-disruptive protest? Post-it notes?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

London commuters.... on 09:25 - Oct 18 with 1896 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

London commuters.... on 09:18 - Oct 18 by Herbivore

You're wasting your time trying to get BDS to shift from his ideological purity to actually engaging with the realities of people's lives.

Ok so Herbs thinks it is ok to kick people's heads in if you are late for work....at least that is cleared up..... taking the Guardian line that..."it is because they are scared!"

London commuters.... on 09:26 - Oct 18 with 1893 viewsbluelagos

London commuters.... on 09:21 - Oct 18 by BanksterDebtSlave

....only Section 14 was and is preventing this option....maybe 2 people on a carriage is all that was left.

I thought the section 14 used to clear Trafalgar Sq was incredibly short sighted. I know it was judicially reviewed yesterday, do you know the outcome?

London commuters.... on 09:27 - Oct 18 with 1884 viewsgiant_stow

London commuters.... on 09:22 - Oct 18 by footers

Ah no, silly sausage! Cameron and the 'Party of the workers' insist people love the flexibility of zero hours contracts!

In any case, they won't have jobs to go to should things keep going the way they are. But as ever, let's focus on the personal, the individual and the protestors themselves.

What would be a preferred method of effective non-disruptive protest? Post-it notes?

Not attacking the working classes (as per the canary article) and instead going for the polluters, maybe.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

London commuters.... on 09:29 - Oct 18 with 1875 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

London commuters.... on 09:26 - Oct 18 by bluelagos

I thought the section 14 used to clear Trafalgar Sq was incredibly short sighted. I know it was judicially reviewed yesterday, do you know the outcome?

No but it was used to clear more than Trafalgar Square and prevent misguided stickering! I will take a wild guess that the courts backed the police.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2019 9:33]

London commuters.... on 09:32 - Oct 18 with 1865 viewsfooters

London commuters.... on 09:27 - Oct 18 by giant_stow

Not attacking the working classes (as per the canary article) and instead going for the polluters, maybe.

We've been trying that for decades and still here we are. Maybe 'the working class' should also realise that global warming and pollution hits them hardest, in terms of air quality, etc? Again, people getting really het up over people being slightly inconvenienced for ONE DAY.

And if you say that being late costs people money etc then maybe you should be more angry at the terms of those contracts and their employers rather than XR. What if there were leaves on the track that made them late? Would you be angry at the leaves too?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

London commuters.... on 09:32 - Oct 18 with 1862 viewsHerbivore

London commuters.... on 09:25 - Oct 18 by BanksterDebtSlave

Ok so Herbs thinks it is ok to kick people's heads in if you are late for work....at least that is cleared up..... taking the Guardian line that..."it is because they are scared!"

That's a really weird thing to take from my post. You are so detached from reality it's like talking to a brick that's been bathed in pure LSD.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

London commuters.... on 09:34 - Oct 18 with 1857 viewsbluelagos

London commuters.... on 09:29 - Oct 18 by BanksterDebtSlave

No but it was used to clear more than Trafalgar Square and prevent misguided stickering! I will take a wild guess that the courts backed the police.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2019 9:33]

They spend all week moving on many and telling them if they want to protest legally and avoid arrest to go to Trafalgar Sq, then they S14 there, ffs.

Am not as cynical as you ref the court ruling. That nothing has been reported suggests they are still deliberating. Of course it's a bot academic now as the protests finish today.

London commuters.... on 09:35 - Oct 18 with 1855 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

London commuters.... on 09:32 - Oct 18 by Herbivore

That's a really weird thing to take from my post. You are so detached from reality it's like talking to a brick that's been bathed in pure LSD.

What did you down vote about my guardian comment then?

London commuters.... on 09:35 - Oct 18 with 1852 viewsgiant_stow

London commuters.... on 09:32 - Oct 18 by footers

We've been trying that for decades and still here we are. Maybe 'the working class' should also realise that global warming and pollution hits them hardest, in terms of air quality, etc? Again, people getting really het up over people being slightly inconvenienced for ONE DAY.

And if you say that being late costs people money etc then maybe you should be more angry at the terms of those contracts and their employers rather than XR. What if there were leaves on the track that made them late? Would you be angry at the leaves too?

To me, your mockery at the end there shows you know you're wrong.

As I said yesterday, they punched down. I know you say that doesn't matter because you don't need or want consent of the people in this battle, but that supercilious attitude will be the campaigns undoing if its not careful

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024