Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Deal done but no details yet 10:45 - Oct 17 with 4119 viewsStokieBlue

Both Boris and Juncker have announced a deal has been agreed.

Obviously means nothing until we see the details though. DUP still not keen from the looks of it.

SB
[Post edited 17 Oct 2019 10:48]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Deal done but no details yet on 15:32 - Oct 17 with 659 viewsStokieBlue

Deal done but no details yet on 15:20 - Oct 17 by Herbivore

I don't think an extension is off the table so long as it's for a GE or second referendum, which it'd have to be really.

Bit wrong of Juncker to say it if it's not the reality.

How is a GE going to solve anything now? As far as the EU are concerned they have a deal, not sure they are going to be willing to go and start a new deal for the 3rd time.

It's all just a big mess.

SB

Deal done but no details yet on 15:41 - Oct 17 with 648 viewsHerbivore

Deal done but no details yet on 15:32 - Oct 17 by StokieBlue

Bit wrong of Juncker to say it if it's not the reality.

How is a GE going to solve anything now? As far as the EU are concerned they have a deal, not sure they are going to be willing to go and start a new deal for the 3rd time.

It's all just a big mess.

SB

He chose his words carefully so as not to explicitly rule out an extension, he simply said there is no need for one now that there's a deal.

I don't know that a GE fixes anything but it may do and it looks the most likely outcome to me at the moment. The Tories would surely have to run on Johnson's deal and if they win a majority then they can pass the deal fairly straightforwardly. A hung parliament creates issues and isn't out of the question and I'm not sure where that leaves us.

If we had any sense as a country the logical next step is to pass the deal with the proviso that it goes to the pumlkc in a confirmatory referendum versus remain. That's the most sensible way forward but that's why I'm not at all convinced it'll happen.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Deal done but no details yet on 15:44 - Oct 17 with 637 viewsStokieBlue

Deal done but no details yet on 15:41 - Oct 17 by Herbivore

He chose his words carefully so as not to explicitly rule out an extension, he simply said there is no need for one now that there's a deal.

I don't know that a GE fixes anything but it may do and it looks the most likely outcome to me at the moment. The Tories would surely have to run on Johnson's deal and if they win a majority then they can pass the deal fairly straightforwardly. A hung parliament creates issues and isn't out of the question and I'm not sure where that leaves us.

If we had any sense as a country the logical next step is to pass the deal with the proviso that it goes to the pumlkc in a confirmatory referendum versus remain. That's the most sensible way forward but that's why I'm not at all convinced it'll happen.

I guess technically you are right but this is very close to explicitly ruling it out given the exact question asked:

Asked again if he would officially rule out an extension, he replied:

Yes. We have a deal. So why should we have a prolongation?

It's not entirely his call though, the leaders will make the final decision.

I'd be happy with your final paragraph, unfortunately it's prefixed on "If we had any sense as a country" which doesn't seem to be the case at the moment.

SB

Deal done but no details yet on 18:12 - Oct 17 with 596 viewsTrequartista

That's egg on the face of those who said Johnson was pretending to negotiate and wanted to crash out with no deal.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Deal done but no details yet on 18:17 - Oct 17 with 587 viewsHerbivore

Deal done but no details yet on 18:12 - Oct 17 by Trequartista

That's egg on the face of those who said Johnson was pretending to negotiate and wanted to crash out with no deal.

We overestimated him, didn't think he'd lose his arse and climb down so spectacularly.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Deal done but no details yet on 19:40 - Oct 17 with 560 viewsNo9

During the Johnson election didn't the tory membership make it clear that brexit was more important than saving the Union?
Now the DUP can't rule Ireland the only question is when they return to violence
Them V the new IRA another example of turning back the clock = all part of the service
Deal done but no details yet on 19:42 - Oct 17 with 559 viewsNo9

Deal done but no details yet on 12:06 - Oct 17 by ZedRodgers

I would agree that it stands a better chance of passing than it currently does if gov are forced to attach a referendum. However, the prospect of a deal with a referendum could repel ERG-type bods who may then attempt to hold out for no deal.

For every opposition MP that feels they could support Johnson's deal with a referendum, gov may lose numbers on the other side. I would expect them to gain more than they lose though - An assessment No.10 will undoubtedly be able to make. Of course, a referendum being attached to the deal will likely be out of the government's control anyway.

Even if DUP/ERG support this deal (a monumental if at the moment), the numbers are still around 25 short. Difficult to see how they're getting it over the line without further concessions to remain-friendly MPs.

The ERG will support it
Deal done but no details yet on 19:45 - Oct 17 with 557 viewsNo9

Deal done but no details yet on 14:30 - Oct 17 by StokieBlue

Unless my other post is wrong they won't have a choice now will they given Junckers statement.

It's this deal or no deal. No extension.

SB

Junkers is the President he doesn't have the final say
It is down to the other 27 as to whether any request for an extension will be granted
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024