Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit deal is DONE! 11:21 - Oct 17 with 11835 viewsjjblue84

Good to see that there still are patriots in the country who refuse to be beaten by the masses whose interests lie elsewhere!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7582705/DUP-Arlene-Foster-Nigel-Dodds-s
Brexit deal is DONE! on 09:31 - Oct 18 with 713 viewsHerbivore

Brexit deal is DONE! on 09:28 - Oct 18 by WeWereZombies

I don't think a majority of the people want any type of Brexit now so a second referendum is subsidiary to the requirement for a General Election. Which Labour could win. But they do not want to inherit the mess we have got ourselves into so it is all about damage limitation for them and the hope that in two or three years they might look good.

I think a second referendum takes primacy over a general election at this point. There needs to be a resolution on that before we vote for who will take the country forward. I don't think it's a good idea to fight a general election primarily on Brexit, it's going to make things more messy when the Tories get the most votes but remain or second referendum supporting parties win a majority of the public vote. A first past the post GE is a bad way to resolve the Brexit issue.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Brexit deal is DONE! on 09:39 - Oct 18 with 700 viewsGlasgowBlue

Brexit deal is DONE! on 08:37 - Oct 18 by m14_blue

I think it’s a sign of Brexit fatigue, combined with the fact that there doesn’t appear to be any realistic chance of stopping Brexit or getting rid of the tories, which means realistically it probably is this deal or no deal.

Boris can’t lose, if the vote goes against him it plays perfectly into his narrative ahead of an election, he’s pushing Labour off the fence once and for all.

Boris goes into a General election saying he’s got a deal. Swinson goes into a general election saying she’ll cancel Brexit. Corbyn goes into an election saying he’ll negotiate a better deal and then put it to the people where he may or may not campaign for the deal he has negotiated.

Two clear positions and one fudge.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2019 9:40]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Brexit deal is DONE! on 09:45 - Oct 18 with 681 viewslowhouseblue

Brexit deal is DONE! on 09:39 - Oct 18 by GlasgowBlue

Boris goes into a General election saying he’s got a deal. Swinson goes into a general election saying she’ll cancel Brexit. Corbyn goes into an election saying he’ll negotiate a better deal and then put it to the people where he may or may not campaign for the deal he has negotiated.

Two clear positions and one fudge.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2019 9:40]

when you say corbyn will 'campaign' you mean go on holiday for 2 weeks like he did in the 2016 referendum don't you?
[Post edited 18 Oct 2019 9:48]

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Brexit deal is DONE! on 09:46 - Oct 18 with 681 viewsDanTheMan

Fair play to Boris for actually negotiating something even if it appears to be basically the same as May's deal.

But we are also basically back to the point where the DUP don't want it, and a lot of the ERG last time said they couldn't vote for it without DUP support. Including...

If the choice truly is this or no-deal, we should take this.

But how many times have we heard that before?

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Brexit deal is DONE! on 09:50 - Oct 18 with 668 viewsWeWereZombies

Brexit deal is DONE! on 09:31 - Oct 18 by Herbivore

I think a second referendum takes primacy over a general election at this point. There needs to be a resolution on that before we vote for who will take the country forward. I don't think it's a good idea to fight a general election primarily on Brexit, it's going to make things more messy when the Tories get the most votes but remain or second referendum supporting parties win a majority of the public vote. A first past the post GE is a bad way to resolve the Brexit issue.

Good point but wouldn't a referendum that committed a screwed up government (that could be either a Conservative or Labour administration or a coalition in which one or the other was the lead partner) who were looking over their shoulder at Leave voting constituencies produce the same effect?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Brexit deal is DONE! on 09:53 - Oct 18 with 660 viewsHerbivore

Brexit deal is DONE! on 09:46 - Oct 18 by DanTheMan

Fair play to Boris for actually negotiating something even if it appears to be basically the same as May's deal.

But we are also basically back to the point where the DUP don't want it, and a lot of the ERG last time said they couldn't vote for it without DUP support. Including...

If the choice truly is this or no-deal, we should take this.

But how many times have we heard that before?

It's May's deal but with things like worker's rights and environmental protections more or less stripped out, plus a border being put up in the Irish Sea. A loose free trade agreement, which is what is now in the political declaration, will also be tougher and lengthier to negotiate than the close alignment in May's declaration. That's one of the reasons why the ERG are likely to shift in favour as it opens up a deregulated UK with fewer worker's rights and low taxation.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024