Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dolly Ponders 13:40 - Oct 17 with 12520 viewsBrixtonBlue

I've been pondering again.

Religious folk believe that God created the universe. Fine. Those of you who are atheists, therefore, must surely believe the possibility that there are (or have been) lots of universes?

My thinking is this - we know a universe can come into being from, essentially, nothing. Because we're in one. And within that universe there is never just one of something. There are at least 2,500 species of moth in the UK alone, for example.

So it seems unlikely that only one universe would have developed. If it can happen as easily as it seems to have - and with no outside influence as you atheists believe - then it should have happened countless times? And presumably evolution would have happened in a similar way in all of these times?

I know the multi-verse theory isn't particularly new, but would you agree that if you don't believe God created one universe then it's highly like there are many, many universes (we just can't see/get to them because we're in this one)? When compared to all other events that are able to happen due to the laws of nature/physics etc. it's surely very very unlikely a universe would only come about just one time ever?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Dolly Ponders on 22:00 - Oct 17 with 1516 viewsStokieBlue

Dolly Ponders on 21:52 - Oct 17 by Herbivore

Me.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Dolly Ponders on 22:10 - Oct 17 with 1504 viewsBrixtonBlue

Dolly Ponders on 21:52 - Oct 17 by Herbivore

Me.

No, you're a human. Loads of 'em.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Dolly Ponders on 22:19 - Oct 17 with 1499 viewseireblue

Dolly Ponders on 21:29 - Oct 17 by BrixtonBlue

Can you name one thing that there is only one of?

Zero.

That is to say that is zero is common to integers, real and imaginary numbers but has unique properties.

I suspect that you may take any answer and place it in a set or category.

In which case the set must consist of a defined list of attributes, that more than one thing can be said to have that list of attributes.

So you can simply just make the list of attributes sufficiently large, to have more than one member. But that is pointless.

What is more likely is that you want a set of distinct attributes, that can only have one member, and that would be true for zero.

Of course, there are plenty of firsts and lasts of things. If first = last, then it would have been a single thing. Over the 13 billion years or so of the universe, how sure are you that a single thing hasn’t existed?
Dolly Ponders on 22:25 - Oct 17 with 1489 viewsHerbivore

Dolly Ponders on 22:10 - Oct 17 by BrixtonBlue

How do you know?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Dolly Ponders on 22:29 - Oct 17 with 1484 viewsBrixtonBlue

Dolly Ponders on 22:19 - Oct 17 by eireblue

Zero.

That is to say that is zero is common to integers, real and imaginary numbers but has unique properties.

I suspect that you may take any answer and place it in a set or category.

In which case the set must consist of a defined list of attributes, that more than one thing can be said to have that list of attributes.

So you can simply just make the list of attributes sufficiently large, to have more than one member. But that is pointless.

What is more likely is that you want a set of distinct attributes, that can only have one member, and that would be true for zero.

Of course, there are plenty of firsts and lasts of things. If first = last, then it would have been a single thing. Over the 13 billion years or so of the universe, how sure are you that a single thing hasn’t existed?

I'm not 100%, but so far no-one has been able to come up with one of something.

It's a fun game though!

Zero, BTW, isn't really a thing. It's a man-made concept. And in any case, there are two zeros at the start of this thread. So zero doesn't count in any regard.

Dolly Ponders on 22:29 - Oct 17 with 1483 viewsBrixtonBlue

Dolly Ponders on 22:25 - Oct 17 by Herbivore

How do you know?

You're going down the route of The Matrix are you?

Dolly Ponders on 22:40 - Oct 17 with 1480 viewseireblue

Dolly Ponders on 22:29 - Oct 17 by BrixtonBlue

It's a fun game though!

Zero, BTW, isn't really a thing. It's a man-made concept. And in any case, there are two zeros at the start of this thread. So zero doesn't count in any regard.

It isn’t man made.

Mathematics and the fundamental building blocks of the universe exist even if humans don’t.

And you are doing, that thing I thought you would do. That is creating unspecific criteria, in-order to create non-single items.

Everything, including physical rules exist in the universe, without needing a human to observe it.

Intelligent life forms that play board games.

In the known universe, there is only on type of life form that does that.

Again you may say that there are lots of humans, but then you are just discussing definitions, and not meaningful discussions.
Dolly Ponders on 22:58 - Oct 17 with 1472 viewsWeWereZombies

Dolly Ponders on 21:45 - Oct 17 by BrixtonBlue

But there are lots of humans. 'Humans' is a thing there are plenty of. NEXT!

Very wrong, only someone who has never read 'A Pagan Place' would make the mistake you have just made.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Login to get fewer ads

Dolly Ponders on 00:35 - Oct 18 with 1457 viewsWeWereZombies

Dolly Ponders on 22:10 - Oct 17 by BrixtonBlue

Each one of which is unique, digest this and come up with an evaluation that supports or destroys your position:

http://biometrics.cse.msu.edu/Presentations/AnilJain_UniquenessOfFingerprints_NA

Dolly Ponders on 07:31 - Oct 18 with 1416 viewsStokieBlue

It's a fun game though!

Are you looking for something unique quick is biological? Technically everything is unique of you go by their genetics or even the particles they are made from.

Perhaps strangely there is a non-zero theoretical probability of an identical copy of Dolly being created as a result of quantum energy fluctuations in the vacuum.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Dolly Ponders on 08:01 - Oct 18 with 1407 viewsgordon

It's a fun game though!

There are rare minerals on Earth that have only formed in 1 location - e.g. Fingerite is only found at one volcano in El Salvador, doesn't exist anywhere else on Earth.
Dolly Ponders on 08:14 - Oct 18 with 1394 viewsjjblue84

We only have evidence of one universe, despite desperate desires to find another...
Dolly Ponders on 08:19 - Oct 18 with 1392 viewsHerbivore

Dolly Ponders on 08:14 - Oct 18 by jjblue84

We only have evidence of one universe, despite desperate desires to find another...

Were you dropped on your head as a child?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Dolly Ponders on 08:41 - Oct 18 with 1381 viewsWeWereZombies

Dolly Ponders on 08:14 - Oct 18 by jjblue84

That's true but it also begs the question of how we could gather evidence for other universes (and even if we did find the evidence could we prove that they were unconnected to our own i.e. part of it).

Dolly Ponders on 09:02 - Oct 18 with 1364 viewsjjblue84

Dolly Ponders on 08:41 - Oct 18 by WeWereZombies

That's true but it also begs the question of how we could gather evidence for other universes (and even if we did find the evidence could we prove that they were unconnected to our own i.e. part of it).

What other universes ??
Dolly Ponders on 09:14 - Oct 18 with 1355 viewsBrixtonBlue

Dolly Ponders on 22:40 - Oct 17 by eireblue

It isn’t man made.

Mathematics and the fundamental building blocks of the universe exist even if humans don’t.

And you are doing, that thing I thought you would do. That is creating unspecific criteria, in-order to create non-single items.

Everything, including physical rules exist in the universe, without needing a human to observe it.

Intelligent life forms that play board games.

In the known universe, there is only on type of life form that does that.

Again you may say that there are lots of humans, but then you are just discussing definitions, and not meaningful discussions.

The concept of zero is man made. How would zero be used if human's didn't exist? Obviously the fundamental building blocks of the universe would exist even if humans don’t, but that's not the same as saying "zero" would exist as a concept.

However, I will concede that humans are unique. Therefore the universe could be unique.

Dolly Ponders on 09:20 - Oct 18 with 1348 viewsWeWereZombies

Dolly Ponders on 09:02 - Oct 18 by jjblue84

What other universes ??

The ones we have no evidence for...

Dolly Ponders on 09:22 - Oct 18 with 1339 viewsjjblue84

Dolly Ponders on 09:20 - Oct 18 by WeWereZombies

The ones we have no evidence for...

Exactly, why would people *desire* something with zero evidence, that’s the question!!
Dolly Ponders on 09:42 - Oct 18 with 1330 viewsWeWereZombies

Dolly Ponders on 09:22 - Oct 18 by jjblue84

Exactly, why would people *desire* something with zero evidence, that’s the question!!

The ancient Greeks suspected something that we now know as electricity. Later scientists firmed up observations about static produced by amber rubbed against fur or phenomena such as lightning with theory. Electricity itself got analysed further as a flow of electrons, Sir John Joseph Thomson is credited with discovery and identification and also with the quote 'The electron: may it never be of any use to anybody!'.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024