Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Junker rules out extension. 14:31 - Oct 17 with 15573 viewshampstead_blue

Looks like it's Boris's deal or No Deal.

That should focus their minds tomorrow.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Junker rules out extension. on 14:33 - Oct 17 with 5687 viewsIPS_wich

Or parliament rejects the deal and Johnson is forced to revoke Article 50.

But that’s just wishful thinking...
Junker rules out extension. on 14:33 - Oct 17 with 5682 viewsElderGrizzly

He was speaking without the authority of the 27 apparently.

There will be an extension, as No Deal screws Ireland badly. The EU won’t do that to them
Junker rules out extension. on 14:34 - Oct 17 with 5681 viewsElderGrizzly

There will be an extension, as No Deal screws Ireland badly. The EU won’t do that to them.
Junker rules out extension. on 14:34 - Oct 17 with 5666 viewshomer_123

Junker rules out extension. on 14:34 - Oct 17 by ElderGrizzly

There will be an extension, as No Deal screws Ireland badly. The EU won’t do that to them.

Greece?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Junker rules out extension. on 14:35 - Oct 17 with 5657 viewsGlasgowBlue

Junker rules out extension. on 14:33 - Oct 17 by ElderGrizzly

There will be an extension, as No Deal screws Ireland badly. The EU won’t do that to them

“ as No Deal screws Ireland badly.”

So taking it off the table was a poor strategy.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Junker rules out extension. on 14:37 - Oct 17 with 5637 viewsElderGrizzly

Junker rules out extension. on 14:35 - Oct 17 by GlasgowBlue

Not really as the EU would never let it happen
Junker rules out extension. on 14:38 - Oct 17 with 5635 viewsGuthrum

Junker rules out extension. on 14:34 - Oct 17 by homer_123

Greece?

Entirely different situation. The Greeks were seeking a bailout for their largely self-inflicted disastrous financial situation, the Irish are blameless victims if Brexit goes wrong.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Junker rules out extension. on 14:40 - Oct 17 with 5621 viewsGuthrum

Junker rules out extension. on 14:35 - Oct 17 by GlasgowBlue

A deal seems to have been secured even with it off the table. It's questionable whether anything better was available (without further compromise on the UK side).

Login to get fewer ads

Junker rules out extension. on 14:41 - Oct 17 with 5612 viewsOldsmoker

Junker rules out extension. on 14:34 - Oct 17 by ElderGrizzly

When has Britain ever screwed Ireland?
Oh, wait.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Junker rules out extension. on 14:42 - Oct 17 with 5612 viewsZedRodgers

He didn't "rule out" an extension.

He said "This deal means there is no need for any kind of prolongation". Quite different.

He's famous for his rogue comments and it's not his decision, as others have pointed out.

No, not at the moment

Junker rules out extension. on 14:45 - Oct 17 with 5594 viewsFtnfwest

the bulgarian representative 'didn't hear him say that' apparently
Junker rules out extension. on 14:46 - Oct 17 with 5586 viewshampstead_blue

Junker rules out extension. on 14:38 - Oct 17 by Guthrum

Entirely different situation. The Greeks were seeking a bailout for their largely self-inflicted disastrous financial situation, the Irish are blameless victims if Brexit goes wrong.

Have you read 'The weak suffer what they must' by Yanis Verofakis

He's very opinionated on the subject but makes some very good points about Greece's financial melt down.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.

Junker rules out extension. on 14:46 - Oct 17 with 5579 viewshampstead_blue

Junker rules out extension. on 14:42 - Oct 17 by ZedRodgers

He said "This deal means there is no need for any kind of prolongation". Quite different.

He's famous for his rogue comments and it's not his decision, as others have pointed out.

and it was after lunch, and we know he likes a tipple.

Junker rules out extension. on 14:52 - Oct 17 with 5560 viewsGuthrum

Junker rules out extension. on 14:46 - Oct 17 by hampstead_blue

Have you read 'The weak suffer what they must' by Yanis Verofakis

He's very opinionated on the subject but makes some very good points about Greece's financial melt down.

I haven't and must admit I'm not a big fan of his. Too much of the idealistic theorist, not enough pragmatism.

With Greece, the biggest issue was consistent (for several decades) government overspending - including on social welfare - without a sufficiently adequate taxation system or other sources of income to service their debts (let alone reducing them). Terribly hard on the ordinary populace when it went wrong.

That's one thing which really concerns me about our own politicians simultaneously promising big spending and tax cuts.

Junker rules out extension. on 14:55 - Oct 17 with 5550 viewsStokieBlue

Others are coming out and backing up the sentiment though.

He's added a huge element of risk. If MPs vote down the deal now and the extension is rejected they will be seen as having facilitated Brexit.

France especially aren't keen on any more extensions and haven't been for a while.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Junker rules out extension. on 14:56 - Oct 17 with 5548 viewshomer_123

Junker rules out extension. on 14:38 - Oct 17 by Guthrum

I'd have to disagree. Everything I've read and understood on the Greek financial situation is that, whilst Greece did indeed cause themselves a significant issue, the EU were awful in their heavy handed/ draconian approach - leaving Greece in a situation that it may never recover from.

Junker rules out extension. on 14:56 - Oct 17 with 5540 viewsGuthrum

Indeed, when specifically asked if he would rule out an extension, Junker carefully did not say that he would, just that a 'prolongation' is no longer necessary.

Junker rules out extension. on 14:59 - Oct 17 with 5508 viewsGuthrum

Junker rules out extension. on 14:56 - Oct 17 by homer_123

I'd have to disagree. Everything I've read and understood on the Greek financial situation is that, whilst Greece did indeed cause themselves a significant issue, the EU were awful in their heavy handed/ draconian approach - leaving Greece in a situation that it may never recover from.

I don't disagree that the EU came down very hard on Greece. But it was - unlike Ireland and Brexit - not a situation being inflicted on them by an outside country.

Junker rules out extension. on 15:00 - Oct 17 with 5502 viewshampstead_blue

Junker rules out extension. on 14:56 - Oct 17 by Guthrum

Indeed, when specifically asked if he would rule out an extension, Junker carefully did not say that he would, just that a 'prolongation' is no longer necessary.

What are we going to talk about on Nov 1st?
Cricket season is over.

Football?

Junker rules out extension. on 15:01 - Oct 17 with 5495 viewsblueislander

Junker rules out extension. on 14:56 - Oct 17 by Guthrum

He could have added “as long as the British parliament approves the deal”
Junker rules out extension. on 15:03 - Oct 17 with 5474 viewsGuthrum

Junker rules out extension. on 15:01 - Oct 17 by blueislander

He could have added “as long as the British parliament approves the deal”

I think he wants to keep up the pressure to make sure that happens.

Junker rules out extension. on 15:04 - Oct 17 with 5479 viewsStokieBlue

Junker rules out extension. on 14:56 - Oct 17 by homer_123

Greece didn't have to accept the terms. They could have left, converted their debt to Dracma, devalued and paid it off.

Far from ideal but certainly possible. The EUR has historically been too strong for their economy.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Junker rules out extension. on 15:05 - Oct 17 with 5468 viewsGuthrum

Junker rules out extension. on 15:00 - Oct 17 by hampstead_blue

What are we going to talk about on Nov 1st?
Cricket season is over.

Football?

General Election after this - Johnson still has no majority in the House (especially if he's ditched the DUP).

Junker rules out extension. on 15:21 - Oct 17 with 5417 viewsZedRodgers

Junker rules out extension. on 14:55 - Oct 17 by StokieBlue

Others are coming out and backing up the sentiment though.

He's added a huge element of risk. If MPs vote down the deal now and the extension is rejected they will be seen as having facilitated Brexit.

France especially aren't keen on any more extensions and haven't been for a while.

SB

It will be perceived and reported as Junker doing Johnson a favour but it should be obvious that the EU will do what they can to persuade the UK that this deal (that they are content with) should be passed.

I don't buy in to this now being the win/win situation for Johnson that some have suggested though. I agree that this kind of pressure from the EU increases the risk of the worst possible outcome but if the deal is voted down and an extension is rejected, our majority-remain parliament will be faced with accepting no deal or attempting to revoke Article 50.

I can't see the likes of Benn and Cherry admitting defeat at that point, or that they'll consider attempting to revoke Article 50 to be off-limits. It's difficult to say whether revoke will have legs at that point but who knows what could happen when we're staring down the barrel.

No, not at the moment

Junker rules out extension. on 15:32 - Oct 17 with 5372 viewshomer_123

Junker rules out extension. on 15:04 - Oct 17 by StokieBlue

Greece didn't have to accept the terms. They could have left, converted their debt to Dracma, devalued and paid it off.

Far from ideal but certainly possible. The EUR has historically been too strong for their economy.

SB

Look how easy it is to leave the EU.....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024