Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brian Ponders 14:45 - Oct 17 with 1428 viewsBrianTablet

I've been pondering again.

Religious folk believe that God created the universe. Fine. Those of you who are atheists, therefore, must surely believe the possibility that there are (or have been) lots of universes?

My thinking is this - we know a universe can come into being from, essentially, nothing. Because we're in one. And within that universe there is never just one of something. There are at least 2,500 species of moth in the UK alone, for example.

So it seems unlikely that only one universe would have developed. If it can happen as easily as it seems to have - and with no outside influence as you atheists believe - then it should have happened countless times? And presumably evolution would have happened in a similar way in all of these times?

I know the multi-verse theory isn't particularly new, but would you agree that if you don't believe God created one universe then it's highly like there are many, many universes (we just can't see/get to them because we're in this one)? When compared to all other events that are able to happen due to the laws of nature/physics etc. it's surely very very unlikely a universe would only come about just one time ever?

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Brian Ponders on 15:00 - Oct 17 with 1395 viewsBlueNomad

We could have a referendum and leave our universe to make trade deals with others!
[Post edited 17 Oct 2019 15:02]
Brian Ponders on 15:04 - Oct 17 with 1375 viewshampstead_blue

I love the idea of the multi-verse.

Religion is the single biggest crime of mankind, even more vile than Branston Pickle.

There are loads of great audio books on the universe and physics, love them.

Hawkings 'Brief answers to big questions'
du Sautoy 'What we cannot know'

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Brian Ponders on 16:22 - Oct 17 with 1311 viewsfactual_blue

I think you need to keep taking the tablets Brian.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Brian Ponders on 16:29 - Oct 17 with 1303 viewsmanchego

Brian Ponders on 15:04 - Oct 17 by hampstead_blue

I love the idea of the multi-verse.

Religion is the single biggest crime of mankind, even more vile than Branston Pickle.

There are loads of great audio books on the universe and physics, love them.

Hawkings 'Brief answers to big questions'
du Sautoy 'What we cannot know'

The multi verse thing is fascinating.
Do you know Lawrence Krauss ? ( a universe out of nothing )

He's got great videos on this. I followed him when he got to 2 or 3 other universes but he skips along to 9 too fast for me.
9 seems to be a consensus.

Obv. he's a massive atheist and very entertaining on the subject.
Brian Ponders on 16:35 - Oct 17 with 1294 viewsWD19

The most likely explanation, logically speaking, is that we are an AI simulation of a universe.

Who, and what, universe created the AI simulation is a different matter altogether.
Brian Ponders on 19:15 - Oct 17 with 1238 viewsBrianTablet

Wooooosh!

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Brian Ponders on 19:38 - Oct 17 with 1216 viewsWeWereZombies

Brian Ponders on 19:15 - Oct 17 by BrianTablet

Wooooosh!

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Brian Ponders on 20:25 - Oct 17 with 1189 viewsBrixtonBlue

How odd. Are you a tribute act?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Login to get fewer ads

Glen Ponder on 20:33 - Oct 17 with 1187 viewsDubtractor

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024