Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Driving to the Alps 16:14 - Oct 17 with 2661 viewshomer_123

Collective TWTD wisdom needed.

Have a choice to Fly or Drive to the Alps in January. Part of me is thinking weather and time wise flying will be easier and quicker but....I kinda like the idea of driving but it looks like it's going to be 15 to 18 hours.

Anyone driven to around the Blanc/ Velan area at all during that time of year? Any advice, suggestions, stop offs etc etc etc

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Driving to the Alps on 16:30 - Oct 17 with 2626 viewsSWGF

Not in that direction but a similar length/duration, I've driven through France for hols for the past three years and it's a piece of cake/gateaux.

Jump on the toll roads and stick cruise control on. I'd assume the motorways are the same going south east as they are going due south; loads of services, etc.

Obviously that's in August and blazing sunshine...

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Driving to the Alps on 16:32 - Oct 17 with 2619 viewsGuthrum

Personally, I love that kind of road trip. You actually get to see the coutryside and places en route.

But it is a lot slower and, once you factor in fuel and ferry/tunnel costs, probably not any cheaper. Plus you won't be able to drive that far in one stint.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Driving to the Alps on 16:33 - Oct 17 with 2617 viewsWD19

If you absolutely love driving and have a comfortable car, go for it, as others have said the roads will be fine.

If you don't adore driving don't bother. Its a chore. Jump on a flight and enjoy your break.
Driving to the Alps on 16:36 - Oct 17 with 2612 viewsMullet

Driving to the Alps on 16:32 - Oct 17 by Guthrum

Personally, I love that kind of road trip. You actually get to see the coutryside and places en route.

But it is a lot slower and, once you factor in fuel and ferry/tunnel costs, probably not any cheaper. Plus you won't be able to drive that far in one stint.

Having driven through Mont Blanc, it was very expensive, boring and not as fun as saying you've driven through the tunnel sounds to people.

Personally I'd not bother driving at that time of year, just for risk of bad weather and poor driving conditions in an area and on a side of the road I'm not used to. But generally speaking I loved driving through the Alps. Coming down the Julian Alps into Slovenia in a rickety old Transit was hairy though even in summer.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Driving to the Alps on 16:56 - Oct 17 with 2578 viewshomer_123

Driving to the Alps on 16:36 - Oct 17 by Mullet

Having driven through Mont Blanc, it was very expensive, boring and not as fun as saying you've driven through the tunnel sounds to people.

Personally I'd not bother driving at that time of year, just for risk of bad weather and poor driving conditions in an area and on a side of the road I'm not used to. But generally speaking I loved driving through the Alps. Coming down the Julian Alps into Slovenia in a rickety old Transit was hairy though even in summer.

Having not driven that time of year there, how bad are the roads? I'm assuming the main roads are clear - I've been told even the mountain roads will be fine as they are kept clear?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Driving to the Alps on 17:34 - Oct 17 with 2541 viewsCaptainAhab

Driving to the Alps on 16:56 - Oct 17 by homer_123

Having not driven that time of year there, how bad are the roads? I'm assuming the main roads are clear - I've been told even the mountain roads will be fine as they are kept clear?

I've driven a couple of times to Morzine and to Les Arcs and Tignes. The roads through France are impeccable, and you can make good time on them, only problem is they're pretty boring, just blasting through the middle of the country, no sights to see. Oh and you do pay a fair whack in tolls.
I've stopped off in Reims to do a bit of champagne quaffing, but that does lweave you a long trek the next day with a sore head. I've also stayed around Geneva and Dijon, plenty of cheap hotels like Formula 1 if you just want somewhere to break up the journey.
Roads as you get closer to the mountains do get very busy on a Saturday. so avoid travelling then if poss, or hit them as early as possible.
Mountain roads are normally fine, but you never know, make sure you have chains in the car, or even better snow socks, much easier to put on!
Driving to the Alps on 17:51 - Oct 17 with 2513 viewsDurovigutum

We did this many moons ago. We took our heap over the channel on the ferry and hired a car from Calais. There were four of us and two of us took in in turn to drive. Being a French plated car old bill ignored us too, so some speed limits might have been exceeded.... We did it in one go, and our resort was very Westerly, while both the weather and traffic was kind.
Driving to the Alps on 18:00 - Oct 17 with 2493 viewsbluelagos

If you use the peage autoroutes, be aware that as you approach the toll booths, the speed limits drop from 130, 110, 80 then 50 kph. Each one has cameras and at the toll boothes are often waiting officials who will fine you on the spot for any speeding. So be careful to stick to the limits when approaching these.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Login to get fewer ads

Driving to the Alps on 18:32 - Oct 17 with 2468 viewsTractorWood

Go to Austria would be my advice.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Driving to the Alps on 18:53 - Oct 17 with 2441 viewsSwansea_Blue

We’re thinking of getting the train to the Alps this winter. Not sure if that’s an option for you, depending on connections at the other end.

Between flying and driving, I’d drive. But then there are 4 of us so flying is prohibitively expensive for short haul (and the missus is trying to reduce her air miles). But you will need to be prepared for winter driving in the mountains. I still prefer it to flying though.
[Post edited 17 Oct 2019 18:54]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Driving to the Alps on 23:16 - Oct 17 with 2323 viewsallezlesbleus

Factor in the tolls........likely to be in excess of 50 euros each way and potentially quite a bit more depending on the route you take.

Peak weekend dates over Christmas and New Year often see big jams in and around the Alps, but January shouldn't be as bad, especially if you have an overnight stop so arrive / leave resorts outside peak hours.
Driving to the Alps on 23:32 - Oct 17 with 2321 viewsFreddies_Ears

I drive to the Trois Vallees near Mont Blanc for ski hols first week of Feb (the week before half term). It is 9 hours, roughly, from Eurotunnel to resort.

Recently, I've stopped overnight at the cheap and good Premier Inn by Eurotunnel for a quick, early departure Fri morning (There are a few very decent pubs in Folkestone). Then a further overnight stop in Albertville, an hour shy of resort. It's then an early Sat departure, and you can be on the slopes mid-morning. You need to pack snow chains or (easier) snow socks in case the last bit is snowy. If your car is diesel, then arrive empty at the Albertville area and fill up with higher-grade fuel - it'll be treated to mountain winter temperatures, so you'll be ok after the car has sat out for a week!

It is well worth getting a French toll tag (you can buy online) - that way you can cruise past the queues in a very self-satisfied way!

Other overnight options? Reims, for champagne. Beaune, for great Burgundian wines. Lyon, for a decent pub scene.
Driving to the Alps on 23:36 - Oct 17 with 2317 viewsFreddies_Ears

Driving to the Alps on 18:53 - Oct 17 by Swansea_Blue

We’re thinking of getting the train to the Alps this winter. Not sure if that’s an option for you, depending on connections at the other end.

Between flying and driving, I’d drive. But then there are 4 of us so flying is prohibitively expensive for short haul (and the missus is trying to reduce her air miles). But you will need to be prepared for winter driving in the mountains. I still prefer it to flying though.
[Post edited 17 Oct 2019 18:54]

There are direct Eurostar services to the Alps but the overnight one is alcohol free now due to too many people like us being disruptive. I don't know about the daytime one.

A different rail option is Eurostar to Paris, overnight (there are so many great bars there these days), then morning TGV to the mountains. You can book buses from rail station to resort online, I think. I love this route - maximum beer consumption and no airport hassle.
Driving to the Alps on 00:02 - Oct 18 with 2299 viewsfactual_blue

Kayak and pedalo.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Driving to the Alps on 07:45 - Oct 18 with 2169 viewsSuperblue95

Driving to the Alps on 00:02 - Oct 18 by factual_blue

Kayak and pedalo.

#doingafergal

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024