Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boris sending the letter but not signing it 22:19 - Oct 19 with 9366 viewsElderGrizzly

He is a pathetic little man child. And stupid too, as plenty of QCs have said he has broken the law.

Back in court Monday

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 22:24 - Oct 19 with 3975 viewsfactual_blue

The implications of Padfield should always be considered.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 22:26 - Oct 19 with 3969 viewsSwansea_Blue

My Lord, I have a cunning plan...
If we have to send a letter, but don't want to send the letter, wy don't we send two letters asking for differnt things simultaneously.

[Eyeroll] Genius Baldrick.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 22:42 - Oct 19 with 3886 viewsZedRodgers

Ridiculous facade. Please don’t focus on him not signing it. It’s meaningless.

By sending the letter in this form, he’s acting like he’s not abided by the Benn Act. For ages now he’s said he wouldn’t request an extension. That’s exactly what he’s just done, however he tries to spin it.

Will be clowns out there thinking he’s found some kind of clever loophole though.

No, not at the moment

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 22:45 - Oct 19 with 3862 viewsRyorry

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 22:42 - Oct 19 by ZedRodgers

By sending the letter in this form, he’s acting like he’s not abided by the Benn Act. For ages now he’s said he wouldn’t request an extension. That’s exactly what he’s just done, however he tries to spin it.

Will be clowns out there thinking he’s found some kind of clever loophole though.

I actually feel really, really sorry for the EU officials - what the hell are they supposed to do?! Must be like being asked to act in loco parentis for a group of 650 3-year olds arguing about whether to keep their sweets or eat them!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 23:06 - Oct 19 with 3804 viewsElderGrizzly

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 22:42 - Oct 19 by ZedRodgers

Oh I agree, the signature makes no difference. However it plays to the galleries who will believe it does.

The desperate pleas to the EU leaders to tell MPs what to do is rather ironic
Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 23:17 - Oct 19 with 3754 viewsOldsmoker

The leader of the country at a pivotal point in our history pulls a jolly jape.
Why should anyone treat him with respect after this. I won't.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 23:23 - Oct 19 with 3737 viewssparks

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 23:17 - Oct 19 by Oldsmoker

The leader of the country at a pivotal point in our history pulls a jolly jape.
Why should anyone treat him with respect after this. I won't.

There is no way that someone who shows such disdain for process and law should ever hold any office in this country.

Anyone supporting this dishonest, void of integrity, charlatan has not a shred of decency or patriotism within them.

Id like to think that there is not a twtdr who would disagree.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 23:26 - Oct 19 with 3728 viewsGuthrum

He's just done precisely what he told a Scottish court he wasn't going to do (i.e. not send the letter properly, send a covering letter asking for it to be rejected). Is that perjury or contempt of court?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 23:28 - Oct 19 with 3709 viewsZedRodgers

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 23:06 - Oct 19 by ElderGrizzly

Oh I agree, the signature makes no difference. However it plays to the galleries who will believe it does.

The desperate pleas to the EU leaders to tell MPs what to do is rather ironic

Exactly.

Designed so it’s reported like this in The Telegraph, rather than “Boris Johnson requests extension despite saying he’d rather be dead in a ditch”.

No, not at the moment

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 23:36 - Oct 19 with 3659 viewsfactual_blue

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 23:26 - Oct 19 by Guthrum

He's just done precisely what he told a Scottish court he wasn't going to do (i.e. not send the letter properly, send a covering letter asking for it to be rejected). Is that perjury or contempt of court?

Treason.

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 23:39 - Oct 19 with 3648 viewslowhouseblue

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 23:28 - Oct 19 by ZedRodgers

Exactly.

Designed so it’s reported like this in The Telegraph, rather than “Boris Johnson requests extension despite saying he’d rather be dead in a ditch”.

it's political theatre. court cases and rage will play in boris's favour. it will reinforce the view that boris is standing out against efforts to block brexit - that's the story he wants.

in the end the request for an extension has been sent to the eu and how it's printed out isn't going to alter what they decide. they know what the act says, they know what boris thinks, they know what is going on in parliament - the type face and the colour of the envelope won't affect what they decide.

how boris sends the letter is contentless theatre and we'd be better talking about the deal than being side tracked by this trivia.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 23:49 - Oct 19 with 3623 viewslowhouseblue

do you have a link to where the government told the scottish court that the pm wasn't going to "not send the letter properly, send a covering letter asking for it to be rejected". all i have seen is that the government said it would comply with the benn act. (obviously the question then is whether it has done that - but the government's argument is of course that it has).

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 00:01 - Oct 20 with 3589 viewsSWGF

The strategic genius of "Classic" Dom and the legal advice of Geoffrey Cox have his back.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 00:03 - Oct 20 with 3577 viewsfactual_blue

Exactly.

There will, nonetheless, be mad people on fakebook arguing that an obscure provision of the Statute of Marlborough means that his letter has no legal standing because it is unsigned.

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 00:12 - Oct 20 with 3551 viewsGuthrum

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 23:49 - Oct 19 by lowhouseblue

do you have a link to where the government told the scottish court that the pm wasn't going to "not send the letter properly, send a covering letter asking for it to be rejected". all i have seen is that the government said it would comply with the benn act. (obviously the question then is whether it has done that - but the government's argument is of course that it has).

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/07/court-rejects-latest-request-to

'The UK government’s lawyers told the court on Friday Johnson would write that letter if required and argued that a legally binding order was therefore not needed. The government also promised not to thwart the act’s provisions by lobbying EU member states to reject calls for an extension to article 50.' - which is why the court ruled it was not necessary to put into place an order binding the Government at that stage.

The Act does not merely say he has to write a letter. It states: '1 (4) The Prime Minister must seek to obtain from the European Council an extension of the period under Article 50(3) of the Treaty on European Union ending at 11.00pm on 31 October 2019 by sending to the President of the European Council a letter in the form set out in the Schedule to this Act ...' (my boldening). By not writing the letter properly, by not signing it and by attempting to undermine its purpose, Johnson is not fulfilling the relevant Act, in letter or spirit.

Besides which, he's a fool. He could have requested the extension and used the time to get his deal through Parliament, legislation and all. Most commentators believed he stood a very good chance today, before the Letwin spanner was thrown into the works. Now he's just cooked himself up another fight.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2019 0:23]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 00:21 - Oct 20 with 3524 viewssparks

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 23:39 - Oct 19 by lowhouseblue

it's political theatre. court cases and rage will play in boris's favour. it will reinforce the view that boris is standing out against efforts to block brexit - that's the story he wants.

in the end the request for an extension has been sent to the eu and how it's printed out isn't going to alter what they decide. they know what the act says, they know what boris thinks, they know what is going on in parliament - the type face and the colour of the envelope won't affect what they decide.

how boris sends the letter is contentless theatre and we'd be better talking about the deal than being side tracked by this trivia.

No. Its important. 20 years ago, ministerial responsibillity meant something. Now, we are following the Trump model of "deny and carry on no matter how dishonest".

How our system and democracy deals with this utterly dishonest tw@ttery MATTERS.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 00:57 - Oct 20 with 3465 viewsjeera

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 22:24 - Oct 19 by factual_blue

The implications of Padfield should always be considered.

As a big rice fan, I have to agree.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 02:00 - Oct 20 with 3412 viewsBlueBadger

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 23:23 - Oct 19 by sparks

There is no way that someone who shows such disdain for process and law should ever hold any office in this country.

Anyone supporting this dishonest, void of integrity, charlatan has not a shred of decency or patriotism within them.

Id like to think that there is not a twtdr who would disagree.

You're not not new to this forum Sparks and it's fair to say we'v had our disagreements over the years but I rather fear your last sentence is misplaced optimism at best.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 02:04 - Oct 20 with 3410 viewsBlueBadger

Exactly.

Boris Johnson is basically a right-wing Jeremy Corbyn. A total incompetent who appeals to the grassroots on the basis that he's 'reflecting are views' but is essentially a talent vacuum who prefers fostering a cult to actually providing competent leadership and ultimately betrays those who put into power in the first place.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2019 2:21]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 02:06 - Oct 20 with 3404 viewsBlueBadger

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 00:21 - Oct 20 by sparks

No. Its important. 20 years ago, ministerial responsibillity meant something. Now, we are following the Trump model of "deny and carry on no matter how dishonest".

How our system and democracy deals with this utterly dishonest tw@ttery MATTERS.

Bullers, it's fair to say we don't agree on a lot(other than some old blues stuff) but I'm down with this.

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 06:40 - Oct 20 with 3279 viewscrunchie1978

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 00:03 - Oct 20 by factual_blue

There will, nonetheless, be mad people on fakebook arguing that an obscure provision of the Statute of Marlborough means that his letter has no legal standing because it is unsigned.

Maybe parliament needs to reconvene today to have a meaningful vote on whether letters need to be signed or not.
Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 07:01 - Oct 20 with 3252 viewsgordon

The fact that the letter wasn't signed is completely irrelevant - this was a cheap stunt to take the headlines away from the fact that he has had to request the extension.

If anyone tries to take this to court they are idiots - the request has been received in good faith by the EU, and the other letters are legally irrelevant - he wasn't required to 'want' an extension, just to request one.

The fact that people get so worked up at this sort of stunt is exactly why no. 10 does it - it plays perfectly to Brexit party types. Now the papers will be full of guff about Boris being taken to court by the remainer parliament, fighting to deliver brexit, outsmarting them by not signing a letter etc.

But actually, all that's happened is he's requested an extension to Article 50.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2019 7:02]
Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 07:22 - Oct 20 with 3218 viewsBlueBoots

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 00:12 - Oct 20 by Guthrum

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/07/court-rejects-latest-request-to

'The UK government’s lawyers told the court on Friday Johnson would write that letter if required and argued that a legally binding order was therefore not needed. The government also promised not to thwart the act’s provisions by lobbying EU member states to reject calls for an extension to article 50.' - which is why the court ruled it was not necessary to put into place an order binding the Government at that stage.

The Act does not merely say he has to write a letter. It states: '1 (4) The Prime Minister must seek to obtain from the European Council an extension of the period under Article 50(3) of the Treaty on European Union ending at 11.00pm on 31 October 2019 by sending to the President of the European Council a letter in the form set out in the Schedule to this Act ...' (my boldening). By not writing the letter properly, by not signing it and by attempting to undermine its purpose, Johnson is not fulfilling the relevant Act, in letter or spirit.

Besides which, he's a fool. He could have requested the extension and used the time to get his deal through Parliament, legislation and all. Most commentators believed he stood a very good chance today, before the Letwin spanner was thrown into the works. Now he's just cooked himself up another fight.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2019 0:23]

"Seek to obtain" is important here. Tusk will be discussing the extension with ambassadors from the EU27 this morning - it will only take one country to veto. Boris may have a Trump card up his sleeve - we know that the government has held "private" talks with officials from at least one of these countries (Hungary) in recent weeks...

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 07:49 - Oct 20 with 3167 viewsSuperfrans

This has been odds on for several days.

The good news is that the likes of Joanna Cherry, Gina Miller, Jo Maugham etc (who have been steering all the legal challenges against this Government) are far smarter than the thickoes in Number 10 atm and will have a plan. Reading this morning that the clear signal from the EU is that they will extend, as requested by our Parliament.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 08:21 - Oct 20 with 3110 viewsZedRodgers

Boris sending the letter but not signing it on 02:04 - Oct 20 by BlueBadger

Boris Johnson is basically a right-wing Jeremy Corbyn. A total incompetent who appeals to the grassroots on the basis that he's 'reflecting are views' but is essentially a talent vacuum who prefers fostering a cult to actually providing competent leadership and ultimately betrays those who put into power in the first place.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2019 2:21]

Making a comparison to Corbyn on this particular point shows your lack of understanding (and your obsession). Very cheap ‘holier than thou’ political analysis to say leaders of parties/groups you disagree with are presiding over cults.

Q. Which people has Corbyn betrayed since he’s been in “power”?

No, not at the moment

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024