Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VAR wtf? 17:32 - Oct 20 with 2670 viewssohamblue74

Two bizarre decisions at old trafford. Is the VAR referee Paddy Crerand or Alex Ferguson. Ffs.
VAR wtf? on 17:34 - Oct 20 with 2655 viewsm14_blue

The handball for Liverpool’s goal was fairly obvious tbf
VAR wtf? on 17:38 - Oct 20 with 2649 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I agreed with the first decision.

Second was a bit harsh.

No real complaints though.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

VAR wtf? on 17:41 - Oct 20 with 2629 viewsm14_blue

VAR wtf? on 17:38 - Oct 20 by Marshalls_Mullet

I agreed with the first decision.

Second was a bit harsh.

No real complaints though.

The new rules on handball mean the Liverpool ‘goal’ being disallowed was 100% the right decision.

Not saying I agree with the rule but there you go.
VAR wtf? on 17:42 - Oct 20 with 2621 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

VAR wtf? on 17:41 - Oct 20 by m14_blue

The new rules on handball mean the Liverpool ‘goal’ being disallowed was 100% the right decision.

Not saying I agree with the rule but there you go.

Fair enough. I think VAR probably got both right tbf.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

VAR wtf? on 17:43 - Oct 20 with 2619 viewsNthsuffolkblue

VAR wtf? on 17:34 - Oct 20 by m14_blue

The handball for Liverpool’s goal was fairly obvious tbf

Yes, I thought the first probably should not have stood but therein is the issue, it wasn't an absolutely definite, clear foul. The handball was indisputable. I thought the first one could have been over-ruled but wasn't. The second there was no doubt.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

VAR wtf? on 17:46 - Oct 20 with 2605 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

VAR wtf? on 17:43 - Oct 20 by Nthsuffolkblue

Yes, I thought the first probably should not have stood but therein is the issue, it wasn't an absolutely definite, clear foul. The handball was indisputable. I thought the first one could have been over-ruled but wasn't. The second there was no doubt.

That's why I think VAR got it right, not a clear and obvious error, so shouldn't be over ruled.

Also, Liverpool have themselves to blame. They still had chance to prevent the goal.

VAR wtf? on 17:46 - Oct 20 with 2607 viewsFtnfwest

VAR wtf? on 17:43 - Oct 20 by Nthsuffolkblue

With the first one it’s not really something that should go to VAR to be honest, the ref was 5 yards away so surely he’s best positioned there whatever VAR suggest. If it’s a clear foul then basically we’d have to say there’s no contact allowed in football full stop. Second one handball, end of etc
VAR wtf? on 17:58 - Oct 20 with 2558 viewscrunchie1978

Football for the supporter is dead with VAR.
Take away the joy of your team scoring a goal and what are you left with.....looking up at a pending decision on a big screen.....great!
Login to get fewer ads

VAR wtf? on 18:01 - Oct 20 with 2547 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

VAR wtf? on 17:58 - Oct 20 by crunchie1978

Take away the joy of your team scoring a goal and what are you left with.....looking up at a pending decision on a big screen.....great!

I would have switched off if the Utd goal was disallowed... and I'm watching as a neutral.

Punditry has become pendantry.

VAR wtf? on 18:06 - Oct 20 with 2533 viewsitfcjoe

VAR wtf? on 17:46 - Oct 20 by Ftnfwest

With the first one it’s not really something that should go to VAR to be honest, the ref was 5 yards away so surely he’s best positioned there whatever VAR suggest. If it’s a clear foul then basically we’d have to say there’s no contact allowed in football full stop. Second one handball, end of etc

Spot on. Ref 5 yards away and looking straight at it, if overruling him on that then Game is gone

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

VAR wtf? on 18:36 - Oct 20 with 2490 viewsTrequartista

The Rashford goal was a perfect example of why VAR doesn't work with subjective decisions.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

VAR wtf? on 18:41 - Oct 20 with 2471 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

VAR wtf? on 18:36 - Oct 20 by Trequartista

The Rashford goal was a perfect example of why VAR doesn't work with subjective decisions.

Was the correct decision.

VAR wtf? on 18:42 - Oct 20 with 2467 viewsDennyx4

VAR wtf? on 18:06 - Oct 20 by itfcjoe

Spot on. Ref 5 yards away and looking straight at it, if overruling him on that then Game is gone

Ref got it completely wrong - cant blame VAR -poor ref decision.
VAR wtf? on 18:43 - Oct 20 with 2467 viewslongtimefan

VAR wtf? on 18:06 - Oct 20 by itfcjoe

I wonder if the ref made allowance for the over dramatic fall for the first one? There is contact but it’s on the non standing leg, which somehow causes the standing leg fo leap into the air
VAR wtf? on 18:45 - Oct 20 with 2462 viewsTrequartista

VAR wtf? on 18:41 - Oct 20 by Marshalls_Mullet

It was arguable either way. That's the problem. VAR should not be used on those type of decisions.

VAR wtf? on 18:48 - Oct 20 with 2455 viewsTrequartista

VAR wtf? on 17:46 - Oct 20 by Marshalls_Mullet

That's why I think VAR got it right, not a clear and obvious error, so shouldn't be over ruled.

Also, Liverpool have themselves to blame. They still had chance to prevent the goal.

Who defines clear and obvious? The notion of "clear and obvious" is a nonsense. A subjective decision will have an area of the spectrum of fouls where people disagree with each other over a decision. Adding the words "clear and obvious" simply shifts the area of disagreement along the spectrum a bit.

VAR wtf? on 18:48 - Oct 20 with 2453 viewsallezlesbleus

VAR wtf? on 17:58 - Oct 20 by crunchie1978

I've just watched last night's MOTD and VAR was the main talking point in most games. The Spurs goal is a classic example of what you are against.
VAR wtf? on 18:52 - Oct 20 with 2447 viewsDennyx4

Personally dont think it was, but Ref at fault not VAR.
VAR wtf? on 18:56 - Oct 20 with 2445 viewsSwansea_Blue

VAR wtf? on 18:48 - Oct 20 by Trequartista

Who defines clear and obvious? The notion of "clear and obvious" is a nonsense. A subjective decision will have an area of the spectrum of fouls where people disagree with each other over a decision. Adding the words "clear and obvious" simply shifts the area of disagreement along the spectrum a bit.

THat’s the problem with VAR; not the technology itself, but the room for subjective judgement in many football rules.

It’s not foolproof in other sports either. Wales got away with what looked like a forward pass in the buildup to their winning try today. I actually quite liked how they dealt with it though - video ref wasn’t 100% sure, so conceded to the ref’s original decision. Maybe we need a bit more of that in our VAR - if it’s isn’t 100% clear and unanimous, the original decision stands.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

VAR wtf? on 19:04 - Oct 20 with 2435 viewsYallop

VAR wtf? on 18:52 - Oct 20 by Dennyx4

Personally dont think it was, but Ref at fault not VAR.

How far back does the decision go? What about if there was a foul on pass 1 of a 30 pass move?
VAR wtf? on 19:08 - Oct 20 with 2427 viewsDennyx4

VAR wtf? on 19:04 - Oct 20 by Yallop

How far back does the decision go? What about if there was a foul on pass 1 of a 30 pass move?

On this occasion only two passes after the foul though.
VAR wtf? on 19:10 - Oct 20 with 2422 viewsDennyx4

VAR wtf? on 19:04 - Oct 20 by Yallop

Agree not VAR's role as such - poor decision by the ref, who was only 10 yards away.
VAR wtf? on 19:45 - Oct 20 with 2378 viewsYallop

VAR wtf? on 19:08 - Oct 20 by Dennyx4

On this occasion only two passes after the foul though.

I know but my question stands. I don't know what the guidance is?
VAR wtf? on 19:53 - Oct 20 with 2364 viewsitfcjoe

VAR wtf? on 18:43 - Oct 20 by longtimefan

I wonder if the ref made allowance for the over dramatic fall for the first one? There is contact but it’s on the non standing leg, which somehow causes the standing leg fo leap into the air

He’s lost the ball too, heavy touch, minimal contact and over dramatic fall.

The way those involved with Liverpool went on about it you’d think he’d two footed him in the knees, not barely touched his calf. Seems people are making the mistake that any contact equals a foul

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

VAR wtf? on 19:54 - Oct 20 with 2361 viewsWickets

As you say both where right ,thought it could have been given as a foul in build up to the first goal but the Ref thought otherwise so play on . But i must say i am beigining to dislike VAR , imagine having to wait to celebrate Jim Magiltons goal in the last minute against Bolton in the play off semi !!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024