Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The player we missed most yesterday 13:18 - Oct 21 with 2566 viewsGuthrum

was Flynn Downes in the midfield. Breaking up attacks, taking control of the ball and distributing.

Not to fault Skuse, who was excellent, but he was being asked to do too much on his own against a tough attack (especially with the defensively weaker Edwards out on the right). Dozzell is a fine passer, but certainly not one to put in strong challenges.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The player we missed most yesterday on 13:20 - Oct 21 with 2549 viewsColchesterBlue1985

I thought we missed KVY Wilson Downes and Norwood equally. KVY plays and for that guy doesn’t push him off the ball as easy as Edwards was for the first. Wilson plays and Toto doesn’t concede that ridiculous penalty. Downes and Norwood play I think we would have created far more and the ball retained in their half far more and we would have won the game.
The player we missed most yesterday on 13:26 - Oct 21 with 2520 viewsGarv

Yep. I think with Downes, KVY and Norwood we win that game. Coleman said almost as much after the game.

Maybe proof our strength in depth isn't as good as we thought? It definitely isn't in full back areas.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2019 13:28]

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

The player we missed most yesterday on 13:31 - Oct 21 with 2493 viewsGlasgowBlue

It probably caused a knock on effect as Lambert has been putting Skuse in a back 3 when Wilson/Chambers/Wolf hasn't been available but with Downes missing he probably didn't wan't Skuse out of the midfield at the same time.

Norwood was a massive loss yesterday as Jackson looked like he did last year without his normal strike partner.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The player we missed most yesterday on 13:32 - Oct 21 with 2490 viewsDarth_Koont

The player we missed most yesterday on 13:20 - Oct 21 by ColchesterBlue1985

I thought we missed KVY Wilson Downes and Norwood equally. KVY plays and for that guy doesn’t push him off the ball as easy as Edwards was for the first. Wilson plays and Toto doesn’t concede that ridiculous penalty. Downes and Norwood play I think we would have created far more and the ball retained in their half far more and we would have won the game.

I thought Edwards was unfairly blamed for the first goal yesterday. No way with three CBs he should have had two men to cover at the back post. Whichever one he took the other would have a free run on the ball. In hindsight he should probably have forgotten about marking attackers and jumped for the ball instead.

The individual errors were poor but, the defence was all a bit of a collective mess in the first half and just didn't work.

Pronouns: He/Him

The player we missed most yesterday on 13:37 - Oct 21 with 2457 viewsGuthrum

The player we missed most yesterday on 13:32 - Oct 21 by Darth_Koont

I thought Edwards was unfairly blamed for the first goal yesterday. No way with three CBs he should have had two men to cover at the back post. Whichever one he took the other would have a free run on the ball. In hindsight he should probably have forgotten about marking attackers and jumped for the ball instead.

The individual errors were poor but, the defence was all a bit of a collective mess in the first half and just didn't work.

I don't blame Edwards for that at all. Two-on-one he didn't really stand a chance. However, he isn't really a defender at all.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The player we missed most yesterday on 13:43 - Oct 21 with 2432 viewsOldsmoker

That's how I see it.
This was the first league game that Downes had not played.
I think that is quite significant.
With Wilson and KVY out as well, the replacements for all 3 were never going to match their qualities in those positions.
Toto is still in recovery mode, trying to get match fit, so any expectations that he could replicate the performances of Wilson was stretching it.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

The player we missed most yesterday on 13:46 - Oct 21 with 2415 viewsChocorange

The player we missed most yesterday on 13:37 - Oct 21 by Guthrum

I don't blame Edwards for that at all. Two-on-one he didn't really stand a chance. However, he isn't really a defender at all.

Agree, I think Wolf should have been more aware and more help on the first goal.

With Downes out and Norwood missing from the front , they had time to play and create more chances.

One up front has failed over and over again for us, especially when the 1 up front is Jackson.
He cannot hold the ball up and it comes straight back again. Makes the decision not to being Keane on even stranger... If he wasn't fit, Roberts should have been on the bench.

As many others have said Judge and Fozz were again infective.

A straight 442 which would have matched them , with Huws and Skuse in the middle, 2 up front and 2 wingers from the off and we would have had a better chance of winning. Our players versus there's in the same formation would surely have told ...
The player we missed most yesterday on 13:48 - Oct 21 with 2419 viewsitfcjoe

It was a striker that could act as a focal point for me, as it always is when Jackson is effectively up top on his own

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

The player we missed most yesterday on 13:53 - Oct 21 with 2393 viewsblueislander

Indeed Edwards is not a defender. I question Lambert’s judgement in playing him there.
The player we missed most yesterday on 14:03 - Oct 21 with 2349 viewsColchesterBlue1985

I should have clarified I didn’t necessarily blame Edwards either as you say and others have alluded to it’s not his game. However had KVY been fit in my opinion that goal doesn’t happen. The first thing I said was why didn’t our right sided of three centre backs say that’s mine!!!
The player we missed most yesterday on 14:32 - Oct 21 with 2278 viewsBlueRaider

Agreed, his presence would have allowed Skuse to drop into the back 3 and save us from Toto

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

The player we missed most yesterday on 14:33 - Oct 21 with 2278 viewsGarv

The player we missed most yesterday on 13:48 - Oct 21 by itfcjoe

It was a striker that could act as a focal point for me, as it always is when Jackson is effectively up top on his own

Still think we missed out on this kind of player in the summer. Neither Norwood or Keane really fit the bill, despite being very useful in their own ways.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

The player we missed most yesterday on 14:33 - Oct 21 with 2274 viewsBlueRaider

He was fouled too, we should have had a free kick there

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

The player we missed most yesterday on 14:34 - Oct 21 with 2274 viewsChateauWines

We missed Flynn`s energy and bite in midfield. Yet another game passed Dozzel and Judge by.

Poll: CRUMPETS- What to put on?

The player we missed most yesterday on 14:44 - Oct 21 with 2231 viewslongtimefan

The player we missed most yesterday on 14:34 - Oct 21 by ChateauWines

We missed Flynn`s energy and bite in midfield. Yet another game passed Dozzel and Judge by.

I think we definitely missed Norwood the most, but I think the selection of replacements and formation worsened that loss. Playing a lone striker didn't work last year and hasn't this. It turns Jackson from a reasonably dangerous striker to one who can be easily marked out of the game. I know PL thinks Keane and Huws can't do 90 minutes at the moment but why not start them in our best formation, hopefully get the game won, and then withdraw.
The player we missed most yesterday on 14:45 - Oct 21 with 2221 viewsMrTown

I think we missed Wilson so much as well.

To be honest, we missed all four of the absentees, but with our squad, the performance was so poor.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

The player we missed most yesterday on 14:47 - Oct 21 with 2211 viewsWickets

The player we missed most yesterday on 13:26 - Oct 21 by Garv

Yep. I think with Downes, KVY and Norwood we win that game. Coleman said almost as much after the game.

Maybe proof our strength in depth isn't as good as we thought? It definitely isn't in full back areas.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2019 13:28]

As a full/wing back Edwards looked a bit lightweight but should never have been left with two at the far post for the first goal .
The player we missed most yesterday on 15:53 - Oct 21 with 2130 viewscbower

Agree re Edwards but why is there no criticism of our 6 feet 9" goalkeeper who has remained stuck to his line for a looping cross with no pace on it that was headed in from inside his six yard box? A cross like that should have been greeted by a massive shout of "keepers" which meant get out the way defenders (and strikers too) , big Tomas is coming and if you get it my way, it's your own damn fault!

bluescouser

The player we missed most yesterday on 16:25 - Oct 21 with 2094 viewsSWGF

The player we missed most yesterday on 13:48 - Oct 21 by itfcjoe

Or a bit of both...!

That's why Norwood and Downes are such important players in L1 by SWGF 20 Oct 2019 14:02
Give us a presence up front and in the middle of the pitch. Get stuck in, barges, niggles, let opponents know we're up for this...all the dirty stuff that needs to be done to get grips in matches (see Fleetwood).

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

The player we missed most yesterday on 17:04 - Oct 21 with 2031 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Personally I think we missed Downes most as described in the OP. After that, Norwood, Keane and Sears as any one would have given us some presence up front.

Beyond that KVY and Wilson as we would not have had such a weak defence and the former would have helped us create something too.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

The player we missed most yesterday on 19:25 - Oct 21 with 1873 viewspointofblue

The player we missed most yesterday on 14:44 - Oct 21 by longtimefan

I think we definitely missed Norwood the most, but I think the selection of replacements and formation worsened that loss. Playing a lone striker didn't work last year and hasn't this. It turns Jackson from a reasonably dangerous striker to one who can be easily marked out of the game. I know PL thinks Keane and Huws can't do 90 minutes at the moment but why not start them in our best formation, hopefully get the game won, and then withdraw.

Or why not start Roberts and at least give Jackson someone alongside him? OK, he's no Norwood but at least he'd be a second body up there.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024