Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up 16:39 - Oct 22 with 2982 viewsMullet

https://oddschanger.com/football-news/market-movers-league-one-promotion-race-ti

Not really sure how he comes to the conclusion that it was 4 years of gradual decline given we dropped all of 1 position then 9, then went up again to 12th before an absolute collapse. That's about the definitive opposite of gradual.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 17:11 - Oct 22 with 2115 viewsBrixtonBlue

Depends if you only judge it on final league placings.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 17:15 - Oct 22 with 2108 viewsHerbivore

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 17:11 - Oct 22 by BrixtonBlue

What else would you judge it on?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 17:18 - Oct 22 with 2088 viewsPJH

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 17:11 - Oct 22 by BrixtonBlue

Bit difficult to see how getting five more points and moving up four places can be called a decline.
A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 17:38 - Oct 22 with 2007 viewsGlasgowBlue

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 17:18 - Oct 22 by PJH

Bit difficult to see how getting five more points and moving up four places can be called a decline.

I’d say the club is was in a decline even if results and placing didn’t suggest that. The relationship between fans and manager had irreconcilably broken down in the final two years of Mick’s time here although his ability to pick up a good player for peanuts and ability to grind out results when needed probably papered over the cracks.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2019 19:03]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 17:48 - Oct 22 with 2011 viewsPJH

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 17:38 - Oct 22 by GlasgowBlue

I’d say the club is was in a decline even if results and placing didn’t suggest that. The relationship between fans and manager had irreconcilably broken down in the final two years of Mick’s time here although his ability to pick up a good player for peanuts and ability to grind out results when needed probably papered over the cracks.

Yes, off the pitch things were not good but the article in the OP would suggest to me that they were only thinking in terms of results/league positions-I might be wrong.
A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 18:14 - Oct 22 with 1957 viewspablovian

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 17:18 - Oct 22 by PJH

That season started off with an anomalous 12 points from the first four games. The rest of the season was poor (48 points from 42 games, i.e. relegation battling form); and a period of six weeks or so in March and April was dire.
A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 18:30 - Oct 22 with 1921 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 17:15 - Oct 22 by Herbivore

What else would you judge it on?

A fan base getting smaller and smaller with every passing week of the McCarthy era; attendances dwindling into all time lows and the new generation of fans almost definitely turning to other teams as even the hardcore were often left ‘bored’?

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 18:34 - Oct 22 with 1909 viewsDubtractor

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 17:38 - Oct 22 by GlasgowBlue

Yeah, I think there is a strong case to say that the was a steady decline in the club and the team over that 4 years.

Separate debate over whether Mick stopped it being a more dramatic decline.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Login to get fewer ads

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 18:34 - Oct 22 with 1909 viewsSpruceMoose

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 18:30 - Oct 22 by The_Romford_Blue

A fan base getting smaller and smaller with every passing week of the McCarthy era; attendances dwindling into all time lows and the new generation of fans almost definitely turning to other teams as even the hardcore were often left ‘bored’?

Do you think League One football and the promise of becoming a yo-yo club is what this 'new generation of fans' is crying out for?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 18:35 - Oct 22 with 1902 viewsHerbivore

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 18:30 - Oct 22 by The_Romford_Blue

All time low attendances? Football didn't start in 2000, Rommers. And none of that has anything to do with football, and I'm assuming the article is referring to football rather than the people watching it.

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 18:38 - Oct 22 with 1886 viewsSpruceMoose

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 18:35 - Oct 22 by Herbivore

All time low attendances? Football didn't start in 2000, Rommers. And none of that has anything to do with football, and I'm assuming the article is referring to football rather than the people watching it.

That's got me thinking. What would be the best period of football fans in their early 20s would have seen us playing in, at an age where they would be old enough to really appreciate it?
[Post edited 22 Oct 2019 18:43]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 18:40 - Oct 22 with 1874 viewsHerbivore

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 18:38 - Oct 22 by SpruceMoose

That's got me thinking. What would be the best period of football fans in their early 20s would have seen us playing in, at an age where they would be old enough to really appreciate it?
[Post edited 22 Oct 2019 18:43]

Playoff season under Royle maybe? Even then they'd have been pretty young. Depressing for the yoof.

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 18:45 - Oct 22 with 1860 viewsSpruceMoose

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 18:40 - Oct 22 by Herbivore

Playoff season under Royle maybe? Even then they'd have been pretty young. Depressing for the yoof.

Say you were born in 1998. in 2003-04 we finished 5th, then in 2004-05 we finished 3rd. But they would have been 5 or 6 years old. Pretty young.

In 2007-08 we finished 8th, 2008-09 we finished 9th. Other than that we had a three season run finishing 9th, 6th, and 7th from 2013 - 2016. That's it.

So, you could say, to a fan in their early 20's, McCarthy served up the most competitive seasons they've seen, at an age when they were old enough to appreciate it.

Depressing indeed. I don't see League One football changing any of that really.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2019 18:47]

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 18:50 - Oct 22 with 1826 viewsDubtractor

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 18:45 - Oct 22 by SpruceMoose

Say you were born in 1998. in 2003-04 we finished 5th, then in 2004-05 we finished 3rd. But they would have been 5 or 6 years old. Pretty young.

In 2007-08 we finished 8th, 2008-09 we finished 9th. Other than that we had a three season run finishing 9th, 6th, and 7th from 2013 - 2016. That's it.

So, you could say, to a fan in their early 20's, McCarthy served up the most competitive seasons they've seen, at an age when they were old enough to appreciate it.

By contrast, I would have been 5 in 81 and have no recollection whatsoever of it. I was 10 or 11 before really absorbing football.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 18:52 - Oct 22 with 1816 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 18:45 - Oct 22 by SpruceMoose

This season is the best season as a town fan I’ve had (because of how the playoff season ended) and I was born in 98.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 18:52 - Oct 22 with 1813 viewsSpruceMoose

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 18:50 - Oct 22 by Dubtractor

By contrast, I would have been 5 in 81 and have no recollection whatsoever of it. I was 10 or 11 before really absorbing football.

Yet you don't look a day over 65

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 18:53 - Oct 22 with 1809 viewsSpruceMoose

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 18:52 - Oct 22 by The_Romford_Blue

This season is the best season as a town fan I’ve had (because of how the playoff season ended) and I was born in 98.

Man, when you look at it like that, it's been a dry 21 years!

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 18:54 - Oct 22 with 1808 viewsPJH

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 18:50 - Oct 22 by Dubtractor

Did I ever tell you that when I was 11 ITFC were Champions Of England?
A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 18:55 - Oct 22 with 1803 viewsSpruceMoose

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 18:54 - Oct 22 by PJH

You should have told 12th_Man, as he didn't know that happened at all.

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 18:56 - Oct 22 with 1796 viewsDubtractor

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 18:54 - Oct 22 by PJH

You may have mentioned it. Just the once maybe?

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 19:02 - Oct 22 with 1781 viewsHerbivore

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 18:52 - Oct 22 by The_Romford_Blue

Jesus wept.

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 19:03 - Oct 22 with 1775 viewsHerbivore

Fair point. Overachieving under Mick is the best they've ever known.

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 19:03 - Oct 22 with 1774 viewsDubtractor

Worth bearing in mind that this season is only 12 games old and could just as easily turn to crap as end in triumph.

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 19:04 - Oct 22 with 1772 viewstractorboy1978

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 18:34 - Oct 22 by SpruceMoose

Do you think League One football and the promise of becoming a yo-yo club is what this 'new generation of fans' is crying out for?

Well attendances this season and general feeling for and around the club tells its own story - people are clearly enjoying this season more than the last few.
A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 19:07 - Oct 22 with 1764 viewsSpruceMoose

A neat summary on the top six and why they might (not) go up on 19:04 - Oct 22 by tractorboy1978

Well attendances this season and general feeling for and around the club tells its own story - people are clearly enjoying this season more than the last few.

Quite. But it's been 12 games. Let's not get carried away and pretend this is the best football we've seen for 20 years. Because it isn't.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024