Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone watched Minimalism on Netflix? 15:53 - Oct 23 with 1006 viewsmonytowbray

Was quite interesting I just so happened to stumble upon it lastnight after my rant about capitalism and being down about where I fit in.

Very good watch and felt like it had a lot of answers on how to escape it all, alas some went to more extremes than others.

The bloke who was basically loaded and was remote working from various hotels whilst travelling the world whilst technically homeless and with 51 items to his name was a bit "rich hippy" w@nky, dare I say most of it was as all these people came from having money at some point and changing their ways.

They weren't wrong though. I feel like when I first started climbing the career ladder it bought short term joy but now I've hit that plateau where no advances really do much to change my life or bring me joy. I'd rather have my spare time back if I'm honest. Deffo also thinking about sacking off loads of clothes and furniture I don't need.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Anyone watched Minimalism on Netflix? on 16:20 - Oct 23 with 982 viewsJ2BLUE

I can't stop watching Life Below Zero/The Last Frontier on DMAX. Seems such a simple and pure way to live. Based in Alaska, they catch their own food, gather their own firewood, do everything for themselves, build their own homes and cabins out of logs etc etc.

Loads of fresh air, wild caught/gathered food, hard but fun looking work. No bullsh1t, no traditional jobs, no internet, no tv, nothing but family and freedom.

Makes me jealous watching it.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Anyone watched Minimalism on Netflix? on 16:30 - Oct 23 with 967 viewsmonytowbray

Anyone watched Minimalism on Netflix? on 16:20 - Oct 23 by J2BLUE

I can't stop watching Life Below Zero/The Last Frontier on DMAX. Seems such a simple and pure way to live. Based in Alaska, they catch their own food, gather their own firewood, do everything for themselves, build their own homes and cabins out of logs etc etc.

Loads of fresh air, wild caught/gathered food, hard but fun looking work. No bullsh1t, no traditional jobs, no internet, no tv, nothing but family and freedom.

Makes me jealous watching it.

Yeah this doc might be for you. These people are far from being off grid, mainly just rejecting typical consumer social status rubbish like having a nice car, big house, pointless rubbish, etc in favour of owning only bare necessities and stuff that truly makes them happy.

One concept I liked was the challenge of only having 33 items in your wardrobe at any one time.

https://bemorewithless.com/project-333/

Started out as a 3 month challenge but it seems many now do it full time to limit what they own. Honestly, I must own close to 100 t-shirts when you add my Ipswich shirts to it. I'd say I wear maybe 15 of them regularly at a push. I have multiple pairs of jeans for different reasons (stretchy for skating, casual, smart) when really I need one of each. Really made me think I'm hoarding a lot of unneeded crap clothing wise for no reason other than one day I *might* wear that.

It's main message was go as far as you're logically comfortable with using common sense. If you have a french press do you really need an electric coffee machine? Do you really need the latest phone at all given times? Does that random canvas and lamp you got in Ikea really show your personality or is it just pointless crap to make your home look acceptable to visitors?

TWTD never forgets…

Anyone watched Minimalism on Netflix? on 16:34 - Oct 23 with 962 viewsJ2BLUE

Anyone watched Minimalism on Netflix? on 16:30 - Oct 23 by monytowbray

Yeah this doc might be for you. These people are far from being off grid, mainly just rejecting typical consumer social status rubbish like having a nice car, big house, pointless rubbish, etc in favour of owning only bare necessities and stuff that truly makes them happy.

One concept I liked was the challenge of only having 33 items in your wardrobe at any one time.

https://bemorewithless.com/project-333/

Started out as a 3 month challenge but it seems many now do it full time to limit what they own. Honestly, I must own close to 100 t-shirts when you add my Ipswich shirts to it. I'd say I wear maybe 15 of them regularly at a push. I have multiple pairs of jeans for different reasons (stretchy for skating, casual, smart) when really I need one of each. Really made me think I'm hoarding a lot of unneeded crap clothing wise for no reason other than one day I *might* wear that.

It's main message was go as far as you're logically comfortable with using common sense. If you have a french press do you really need an electric coffee machine? Do you really need the latest phone at all given times? Does that random canvas and lamp you got in Ikea really show your personality or is it just pointless crap to make your home look acceptable to visitors?

Thankfully phones, clothes and cars are not things i'm interested in. I have little interest in material possessions.

I'll have a look at it, thanks.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Anyone watched Minimalism on Netflix? on 16:37 - Oct 23 with 963 viewsfooters

Commodity fetishism is a dark, shallow road. Anyone who measures their self-worth by the objects they own needs their head checking. Unfortunately, that's quite a few people. Just go to any golf club for proof positive of this.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Anyone watched Minimalism on Netflix? on 16:45 - Oct 23 with 951 viewsmonytowbray

Anyone watched Minimalism on Netflix? on 16:37 - Oct 23 by footers

Commodity fetishism is a dark, shallow road. Anyone who measures their self-worth by the objects they own needs their head checking. Unfortunately, that's quite a few people. Just go to any golf club for proof positive of this.

I have encountered a few bosses like that in my time and they are genuinely baffled when I tell them money doesn't motivate me and I have no material goals. They then look at you like you're an alien as they have no idea what they need to do to get you performing at your best and make you "happy".

I've also learned later in life to run a f*cking mile from working under that type of person, it usually ends in them treating you like dirt and draining you of all will to live because they believe they've done enough just by dangling the fish in front of you. And the whole time you're chasing that fish you can be damn sure you won't get it until they've extracted as much value, free labour and money for their own pockets as they can.

Had an old boss who promised us all £1,000 bonuses if we hit a business financial target that was obviously unrealistic (which was an odd thing considering none of us were in sales and had little ability to influence it). His motivation was he wanted a Porche and he made us all do a board with sticky notes about what we'd spend our bonuses on. Unsurprisingly it got sacked off after 2 months. A year later though the business must have hit some level of target because he seemed more than happy to roll up into work in his new Porche and show it off, but none of us ever saw that bonus. I think these are the exact people I encounter far too much and they're the reason I want to go live like a hermit in the woods.

TWTD never forgets…

Anyone watched Minimalism on Netflix? on 16:48 - Oct 23 with 945 viewsStokieBlue

Anyone watched Minimalism on Netflix? on 16:37 - Oct 23 by footers

What if it's a gold plated bust of Arnold Rimmer?

Don't tell me you wouldn't perceive an increase in your self-worth if you owned one.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Anyone watched Minimalism on Netflix? on 16:54 - Oct 23 with 924 viewsfooters

Anyone watched Minimalism on Netflix? on 16:48 - Oct 23 by StokieBlue

What if it's a gold plated bust of Arnold Rimmer?

Don't tell me you wouldn't perceive an increase in your self-worth if you owned one.

SB

Only gold-plated? You lack ambition. Stokie.

But to your point, I am immensely proud of my 24 karat Trotsky. That sounded more euphemistic than was intended.

Anyone watched Minimalism on Netflix? on 16:56 - Oct 23 with 910 viewsfooters

Anyone watched Minimalism on Netflix? on 16:45 - Oct 23 by monytowbray

I have encountered a few bosses like that in my time and they are genuinely baffled when I tell them money doesn't motivate me and I have no material goals. They then look at you like you're an alien as they have no idea what they need to do to get you performing at your best and make you "happy".

I've also learned later in life to run a f*cking mile from working under that type of person, it usually ends in them treating you like dirt and draining you of all will to live because they believe they've done enough just by dangling the fish in front of you. And the whole time you're chasing that fish you can be damn sure you won't get it until they've extracted as much value, free labour and money for their own pockets as they can.

Had an old boss who promised us all £1,000 bonuses if we hit a business financial target that was obviously unrealistic (which was an odd thing considering none of us were in sales and had little ability to influence it). His motivation was he wanted a Porche and he made us all do a board with sticky notes about what we'd spend our bonuses on. Unsurprisingly it got sacked off after 2 months. A year later though the business must have hit some level of target because he seemed more than happy to roll up into work in his new Porche and show it off, but none of us ever saw that bonus. I think these are the exact people I encounter far too much and they're the reason I want to go live like a hermit in the woods.

Dangling a fish in front of a vegan was never going to work.

Speaking of expensive cars, turning up to work one day to find the keys didn't fit to the office and my boss' Maserati had been clamped ahead of repossession was quite funny. None of us had jobs anymore but we had a year's fill of schadenfreude that day.

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone watched Minimalism on Netflix? on 17:03 - Oct 23 with 890 viewsmonytowbray

Anyone watched Minimalism on Netflix? on 16:56 - Oct 23 by footers

Dangling a fish in front of a vegan was never going to work.

Speaking of expensive cars, turning up to work one day to find the keys didn't fit to the office and my boss' Maserati had been clamped ahead of repossession was quite funny. None of us had jobs anymore but we had a year's fill of schadenfreude that day.

I had a boss very early on in my career for 3 months who spunked an investment from a loan shark up the wall on a poor product idea with minimal market research/strategy. He spent most of it being Billy Big Balls on materialistic status stuff (At one point he bought a £37 pen and insisted he needed it when the office asked why). Anyway, the money vanished and he had nothing to show for it, and asked us all to switch to sales roles getting people into his salon/spa (which was his main business outside of his poor entrepreneur attempts) and we all walked out. There was only 4 of us but he tried playing the guilt card and acting as if it was our fault his choices and spending hadn't went to plan.

I later found out he'd been bankrupt once before working for him and has since gone bankrupt again.

TWTD never forgets…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024