Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What is our preferred style of play and formation? 09:15 - Oct 24 with 2585 viewsitfcjoe

I doubt anyone can tell me at the moment - and we seem to be caught between 2 stools.

Changing shape too often, 3 times in game yesterday and it achieved nothing each time. No discernible style of play from game to game, which ends up with hoof ball as we have nowhere to go.

At the start of the season we looked as though we were playing a high press, and then looking to hit on the counter attack, our pressing hasn't been on display in last 3-4 games.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What is our preferred style of play and formation? on 09:23 - Oct 24 with 2552 viewsGarv

I would argue the lack of press is a lot to do with missing players like Downes and Norwood.

When you have Downes in there you win the ball higher up the pitch, which has often led to chances. Last night we never looked like doing that.

KVY as well, he showed even last night how we’ve missed him. His end product wasn’t really there but a few times he did manage to beat his man and get in good positions. On a different day we create a good chance or score from one of those.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

What is our preferred style of play and formation? on 09:24 - Oct 24 with 2547 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Exactly what I said before the game.

Teams like Peterborough, Wycombe, Doncaster etc, they have set teams, a clear system and formation and get the most out of players in said systems and formations. Which is to be expected as we are 13 games in. We have got by so far, just whacking 11 players on the pitch and them being better players, which will not work all season.

Lambert keeps changing, saying "60 games".. we are not going to play 60 games, pick a team and stick with it. If not we will get left behind.

Admittedly, I am not a Paul Lambert fan. However, I just don't think he knows his best team, system and I find his substitutions poor. Hopefully he proves me wrong, but he has to change something fast or we pick up another losing habit.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

What is our preferred style of play and formation? on 09:27 - Oct 24 with 2526 viewsportmanking

I do feel that half Lambert's problem is that he's trying to keep too many midfielders happy. In doing so, it's affecting any kind of cohesion that we had built up during the first half-dozen games.

Another concern for our midfield is how one-paced it is. We are too reliant on KVY's pace to get up and down. Plus, our lack of wide options is a concern given that both Rowe and Edwards continue to flatter to deceive.

Someone posted earlier that a return to Kenlock at LB and Garbutt at LM would be a sensible approach and I'd tend to agree, especially for the Southend game.
What is our preferred style of play and formation? on 09:30 - Oct 24 with 2508 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yep, I'd say a massive stool sums up last night!

We haven't got a style. We're lucky that we've got a bit more individual quality and depth than other teams, and we're relying on that to drag us though. It'll probably work.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

What is our preferred style of play and formation? on 09:34 - Oct 24 with 2489 viewsLankHenners

Having a very basic 442 with Skuse and Downes sitting was effective even if we weren’t playing great. Not sure if Lambert feels he has to get all the quality CMs in the team but it’s not working shoving them all in the team in a formation we don’t look comfortable in.

A shame as the diamond should in theory suit the players we have but they look like they don’t know how to play it. It’s been said several times now but with these last two performances it’s hard not to think we’re just hoping to get by on having better players more than anything else.

No need for the panic button but it’s a slight concern that we’ve got the midfielders we have and we can’t get that part of the pitch properly firing.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

What is our preferred style of play and formation? on 09:38 - Oct 24 with 2476 viewsDarth_Koont

I think the key is to get some understanding and interplay between the players. Seems to be the major issue that we just don't look on the same wavelength the vast majority of the time.

We need to stick with roughly our best XI and let players build up a better understanding and partnerships around the field. Then we might even be able to be flexible with formations and introduce a few different players from time to time.

Changing everything almost every game and even making major changes during games just doesn't seem a sustainable approach to building a team. Managing a big squad, yes. But probably time to do some trimming especially with a few injured players on their way back too.

Pronouns: He/Him

What is our preferred style of play and formation? on 09:38 - Oct 24 with 2471 viewsHerbivore

Lambert himself said that players win games, not systems. That tells you something about his management. He feels he can pick any XI, get them motivated, and it'll be enough to get us a win. In more or rless every game this season the opposition have looked more organised and cohesive than us, even in games we've won comfortably through having much better players.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

What is our preferred style of play and formation? on 09:41 - Oct 24 with 2453 viewsBigManBlue

What is our preferred style of play and formation? on 09:38 - Oct 24 by Darth_Koont

I think the key is to get some understanding and interplay between the players. Seems to be the major issue that we just don't look on the same wavelength the vast majority of the time.

We need to stick with roughly our best XI and let players build up a better understanding and partnerships around the field. Then we might even be able to be flexible with formations and introduce a few different players from time to time.

Changing everything almost every game and even making major changes during games just doesn't seem a sustainable approach to building a team. Managing a big squad, yes. But probably time to do some trimming especially with a few injured players on their way back too.

Good point, there are a few formations we could use - might be as simple as just picking one, sticking with it, and giving it time to be effective. Decent players in a settled system - any system - should be enough for us this year and gives us something to work with in the longer term, because we'll 100% need a consistent style of play if/when we go up.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Login to get fewer ads

What is our preferred style of play and formation? on 09:42 - Oct 24 with 2449 viewshomer_123

He's going to have to, basically, annoy a few players. He needs a settled XI and that means some players are going to miss out.

He's got some tough decisions to make as rotating isn't doing us any favours.

Rotherham showed last night that pressing at this level is incredibly effective. They gave us no time whatsoever on the ball, notablly they closed Garbutt and KVY down very qucikly and Skuse as well. It worked, we had no answer.

That is what we did first part of the season and it' stopped - not sure why.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

What is our preferred style of play and formation? on 09:43 - Oct 24 with 2442 viewsitfcjoe

What is our preferred style of play and formation? on 09:34 - Oct 24 by LankHenners

Having a very basic 442 with Skuse and Downes sitting was effective even if we weren’t playing great. Not sure if Lambert feels he has to get all the quality CMs in the team but it’s not working shoving them all in the team in a formation we don’t look comfortable in.

A shame as the diamond should in theory suit the players we have but they look like they don’t know how to play it. It’s been said several times now but with these last two performances it’s hard not to think we’re just hoping to get by on having better players more than anything else.

No need for the panic button but it’s a slight concern that we’ve got the midfielders we have and we can’t get that part of the pitch properly firing.

A diamond does suit this squad, but the players need a chance to learn how to play it - we change formation so regularly, and with no obvious style underpinning things there is nothing to fall back on.

Teams that pass and pass and pass can change shapes quite easily because they still know what they should be doing, same with a team who play a more agricultural game

What is our preferred style of play and formation? on 09:44 - Oct 24 with 2428 viewsitfcjoe

What is our preferred style of play and formation? on 09:42 - Oct 24 by homer_123

He's going to have to, basically, annoy a few players. He needs a settled XI and that means some players are going to miss out.

He's got some tough decisions to make as rotating isn't doing us any favours.

Rotherham showed last night that pressing at this level is incredibly effective. They gave us no time whatsoever on the ball, notablly they closed Garbutt and KVY down very qucikly and Skuse as well. It worked, we had no answer.

That is what we did first part of the season and it' stopped - not sure why.

I don't even think it is the rotation of players that is an issue, just the constant changes to style and shapes - rotation is no bad thing if everyone knows the job they are coming in to do.

What is our preferred style of play and formation? on 09:48 - Oct 24 with 2398 viewsHerbivore

What is our preferred style of play and formation? on 09:44 - Oct 24 by itfcjoe

I don't even think it is the rotation of players that is an issue, just the constant changes to style and shapes - rotation is no bad thing if everyone knows the job they are coming in to do.

Some rotation isn't an issue but you need a settled spine. We've been making four or five changes to the side fairly regularly and changing shape often. Taking the league position out of it, it's really a bit of a mess.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

What is our preferred style of play and formation? on 09:51 - Oct 24 with 2384 viewsblueysbackside

We don't have one after 48 (FORTY EIGHT) games under Lambo.
And it's now 30 Ipswich games for Alan Judge, whom this team should have been built around.
Yesterday, Rowe, Huws and Skuse played in the same team FOR THE FIRST TIME, while it was glaringly clear that Jackson and Keane up front have barely played together as a partnership. Excuses certainly, but I for one am worried going forward despite our lofty position.
What is our preferred style of play and formation? on 09:51 - Oct 24 with 2382 viewsDarth_Koont

What is our preferred style of play and formation? on 09:38 - Oct 24 by Herbivore

Lambert himself said that players win games, not systems. That tells you something about his management. He feels he can pick any XI, get them motivated, and it'll be enough to get us a win. In more or rless every game this season the opposition have looked more organised and cohesive than us, even in games we've won comfortably through having much better players.

"Players win games, not systems"

That was also Mick's approach but he kept it simple and kept a majority of the same players in the team. It wasn't always pretty but it was effective even in a higher division and with a less competitive budget.

And it's not even as if we look better in League One, just that it's a lot easier to get results.

I hate to say it, but I'm getting a bit of a Jewell vibe about Lambert where he's not quite sure of his approach and is falling between a few stools. Not perhaps a major issue in this league where you get time to sort it out but I think we need to be a lot stronger as a team if we're a) going to go up automatically and avoid the next financial setback and b) arrive in the Championship in any shape to compete in the top half.

Pronouns: He/Him

What is our preferred style of play and formation? on 09:59 - Oct 24 with 2341 viewsmonty_radio

With the width non-existent last night, and Rotherham's press our lack of strategy was clearly evident in Holy's kicking: high ball after high ball - meat and drink to such as Rotherham defenders and hopeless offerings for forwards who can't win headers. Couldn't somebody tell him.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

You answered your own questoin Joers. We don't have one. (n/t) on 10:05 - Oct 24 with 2310 viewsDyland

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

What is our preferred style of play and formation? on 10:05 - Oct 24 with 2313 viewsSomethingBlue

What is our preferred style of play and formation? on 09:38 - Oct 24 by Herbivore

To be fair I've heard Klopp, Guardiola, all manner of others use pretty much exactly that phrase (albeit perhaps it's for obfuscation in some cases). I do agree with the general point of the thread, though, that we will need some sort of "identity" if we are not to make this season difficult.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

What is our preferred style of play and formation? on 10:07 - Oct 24 with 2293 viewsJakeITFC

What is our preferred style of play and formation? on 09:59 - Oct 24 by monty_radio

With the width non-existent last night, and Rotherham's press our lack of strategy was clearly evident in Holy's kicking: high ball after high ball - meat and drink to such as Rotherham defenders and hopeless offerings for forwards who can't win headers. Couldn't somebody tell him.

His kicking is one of our genuine problems. He is kicking it ~10 yards offline every time, and seeing as that is our primary method of starting attacks atm it’s a big problem (especially against a big side like Rotherham).
What is our preferred style of play and formation? on 10:09 - Oct 24 with 2288 viewsPinewoodblue

What is our preferred style of play and formation? on 09:44 - Oct 24 by itfcjoe

You stàrt by building a squad. Decide on a game plan then pick the best TEAM to achieve your objective. It all about the team not individual players. Rarely do the best eleven players make the best team.

You pick two centre backs that perform best together. Same with central midfield, strikers and finally left and right back/midfield. You don't pick individuals. Maybe no place for Judge

Simples

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

What is our preferred style of play and formation? on 10:10 - Oct 24 with 2286 viewsbackwaywhen

What is our preferred style of play and formation? on 09:59 - Oct 24 by monty_radio

He shouldn’t need telling ... football is a simple game if you have the right leader / tactician directing your pattern of play / tactics !
This relates to my point from an earlier post.... on 10:18 - Oct 24 with 2259 viewsunstableblue

.... I really feel the problem we have had with Marcus' managerial appointments is that they have simply not been progressive technical/tactical managers - and perhaps this is also the case with Lambert?

Over the last decade we have looked technically and tactically inferior to teams with lesser quality players on so many occasions, you frankly lose count. And the bridge between Academy playing style and first team has been broken - I had hoped Lambert was improving in this area.

Last night our press was much weaker than Rotherham's, and several players such as Skuse were out of sorts. But the team did not have a clear system or system options to fall back on - Skuse, Huws and Nolan needed to split apart slightly, move more effectively and then provide space and options. Instead they went headless. This is systematic, technical and tactical training. Keane needed to drop between the lines, and feed Jackson through the channels.

For me Chambers and Wilson are both a bit no nonense, we need to get Wolfenden starting every week as he is better technically on the ball and can come out with the ball so bringing midfield onto them. We should try and build the system around the spine of Wolf, Huws and Norwood. What system brings out the best in their games. Stick to it let other teams worry about it. Get movement and options baked into the team.

Gruff managers who may assemble 'great characters' is just not enough Marcus - its 2019/20.... it all starts with systems, playing ethos, and clear formations that get the best out of our players.

I still hope I'm wrong about Lambert; but this disease of getting out played at home - HAS TO STOP. And it starts with the manager.

I look back very fondly now at some of those Magilton home displays where at least the home set-up and system was working VERY EFFECTIVELY. That is a DECADE since I felt truly confident in the Ipswich Town's playing tactics and system at PR.

Come on Lambert prove the doubters wrong, get the system and selection right and stick with it.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

What is our preferred style of play and formation? on 10:48 - Oct 24 with 2211 viewsITFC_Forever

Still got a nagging doubt that we one a number of the games so far this season just by having better players than the opposition, rather than having a settled team / formation.

We don't know our best eleven / formation and as soon as we look like having one, PL veers off in another direction again.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024