Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Squad Burnout 12:46 - Oct 24 with 1431 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Is this just a myth?

Luton romped home last year. They had 6 players who each made over 40 league appearances. Two of these played all 46 matches, one played 45 and another played 44.

They had a further 3 who played over 35 matches.

So thats 9 of the squad who were very consistently in the first XI.

Sounds like a pretty settles side to me...

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Squad Burnout on 13:07 - Oct 24 with 1361 viewsmonytowbray

Sunderland and Portsmouth contradict that idea though, many of their fans blame their cup run to the final of the paint pot trophy for exhausting the side. Same happens in the PL with clubs without the infrastructure to field lots of players getting into Europe.

I'm sure there are reasons why Luton did okay, perhaps luck or the stamina of those players, facilities, training methods and a sh1t ton of sports science. I don't think you can call fatigue a myth just because some teams buck the trend. I know peak physical fitness should be an attribute of all players but I'd imagine personal lives and mental preparation also play a lot into it.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Squad Burnout on 13:15 - Oct 24 with 1336 viewshomer_123

Squad Burnout on 13:07 - Oct 24 by monytowbray

Sunderland and Portsmouth contradict that idea though, many of their fans blame their cup run to the final of the paint pot trophy for exhausting the side. Same happens in the PL with clubs without the infrastructure to field lots of players getting into Europe.

I'm sure there are reasons why Luton did okay, perhaps luck or the stamina of those players, facilities, training methods and a sh1t ton of sports science. I don't think you can call fatigue a myth just because some teams buck the trend. I know peak physical fitness should be an attribute of all players but I'd imagine personal lives and mental preparation also play a lot into it.

High press high tempo football is going to cause problems with potential burnout but really, this is at the top level of football.

Watching play yesterday with little to no tempo - there is no way we suffer from squad burnout unless they are being over trained.

4 league matches last month, 4 league matches this month - if we are getting burnout now then we are doing something seriously wrong.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Squad Burnout on 13:21 - Oct 24 with 1317 viewsmonytowbray

Squad Burnout on 13:15 - Oct 24 by homer_123

High press high tempo football is going to cause problems with potential burnout but really, this is at the top level of football.

Watching play yesterday with little to no tempo - there is no way we suffer from squad burnout unless they are being over trained.

4 league matches last month, 4 league matches this month - if we are getting burnout now then we are doing something seriously wrong.

We lost two games. The reaction of the usual suspects has been laughable and unsurprising. They must have left PR with a lob on lastnight at the idea of going home to angrily bash their keyboards in the morning.

It's also the usual moaner win/win scenario. Get it right and they'll shout I TOLD YOU SO, get it wrong and they'll be no where to be seen saying "I'm glad I was wrong" and celebrating. If we get promoted this year we should have a banned TWTD list for the game that seals it of certain posters, they can sit at home with the radio on and thrive on the misery that seeps through their fingers on this board.

TWTD never forgets…

Squad Burnout on 13:29 - Oct 24 with 1279 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Squad Burnout on 13:07 - Oct 24 by monytowbray

I probably titled it wrongly.

What I meant was is PL over playing the risks.

I do agree that fatigue is an issue, but I think heavy rotation this early in the season is counter productive.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2019 13:30]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Squad Burnout on 13:33 - Oct 24 with 1258 viewsmonytowbray

Squad Burnout on 13:29 - Oct 24 by Marshalls_Mullet

I probably titled it wrongly.

What I meant was is PL over playing the risks.

I do agree that fatigue is an issue, but I think heavy rotation this early in the season is counter productive.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2019 13:30]

I think I couldn't say at this point. Rotation seems to be luck as much as tactical, we ended up rotating due to injury last season and ended up with more injuries.

TWTD never forgets…

Squad Burnout on 13:39 - Oct 24 with 1239 viewsKeaneish

I agree. We have a pretty settled squad of 18 for the league with some solid replacements and options off the bench should we need to change the game. It's pretty simple to me. Play a fixed system. Keep the 18 largely the same bar injuries or exceptional training ground merit and drill everyone so they know how to fit into the system.

At present it's the other way around, its a case of play multiple systems because we have the quality to deal with it - or have we?

Squad is: Holy, Norris, Garbutt, KVY, Georgiou, Edwards, Chambers, Wolfenden, Wilson, Skuse, Nolan, Huws, Judge, Rowe, Downes, Keane, Norwood, Jackson.

Plenty of options to play whatever system we like but that's the squad until Sears, Bishop, Lankest come back from injury. Anyone else plays the cups or goes out on loan.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Squad Burnout on 13:54 - Oct 24 with 1181 viewsActionMan

Squad Burnout on 13:21 - Oct 24 by monytowbray

We lost two games. The reaction of the usual suspects has been laughable and unsurprising. They must have left PR with a lob on lastnight at the idea of going home to angrily bash their keyboards in the morning.

It's also the usual moaner win/win scenario. Get it right and they'll shout I TOLD YOU SO, get it wrong and they'll be no where to be seen saying "I'm glad I was wrong" and celebrating. If we get promoted this year we should have a banned TWTD list for the game that seals it of certain posters, they can sit at home with the radio on and thrive on the misery that seeps through their fingers on this board.

Until we lose more games and all a certain core of people also vanish after proclaiming we were the next Arsenal. It works both ways this.
Squad Burnout on 14:01 - Oct 24 with 1163 viewsmonytowbray

Squad Burnout on 13:54 - Oct 24 by ActionMan

Until we lose more games and all a certain core of people also vanish after proclaiming we were the next Arsenal. It works both ways this.

Who said we were the next Arsenal?

I think it says a lot about you to ridicule your own set of fans for enjoying winning games. Add your political opinions into the mix and it doesn't make for a good poster.

TWTD never forgets…

Login to get fewer ads

Squad Burnout on 14:13 - Oct 24 with 1121 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Squad Burnout on 13:39 - Oct 24 by Keaneish

I agree. We have a pretty settled squad of 18 for the league with some solid replacements and options off the bench should we need to change the game. It's pretty simple to me. Play a fixed system. Keep the 18 largely the same bar injuries or exceptional training ground merit and drill everyone so they know how to fit into the system.

At present it's the other way around, its a case of play multiple systems because we have the quality to deal with it - or have we?

Squad is: Holy, Norris, Garbutt, KVY, Georgiou, Edwards, Chambers, Wolfenden, Wilson, Skuse, Nolan, Huws, Judge, Rowe, Downes, Keane, Norwood, Jackson.

Plenty of options to play whatever system we like but that's the squad until Sears, Bishop, Lankest come back from injury. Anyone else plays the cups or goes out on loan.

ok but with that squad can we name 2 players for every position in 442 or 532 ,352, 4132, 4141 433 who know?

LB and RB are still a problem!
as is a replacement for Norwood

Edwards and Rowe did step up last night.

A lot of our game start through kvy or garbutt and rotherham squeezed them which means a cb needs to able to come forward with the ball. wolfy maybe able to do that? Chambers and wilson aren't that.
Squad Burnout on 15:53 - Oct 24 with 1024 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Squad Burnout on 14:13 - Oct 24 by BtreeBlueBlood

ok but with that squad can we name 2 players for every position in 442 or 532 ,352, 4132, 4141 433 who know?

LB and RB are still a problem!
as is a replacement for Norwood

Edwards and Rowe did step up last night.

A lot of our game start through kvy or garbutt and rotherham squeezed them which means a cb needs to able to come forward with the ball. wolfy maybe able to do that? Chambers and wilson aren't that.

2 players for every position?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024