Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If offered... 15:21 - Oct 24 with 3867 viewshoppy

After last season, that 13 games in, I could have 8 wins, to be 2nd in the table merely on goal difference, and only 2 defeats with a game in hand on many around us....

On Saturday we face a Southend side in disarray, in a game that despite having a new manager, SHOULD yield another 3 points... I think I’d have taken that!

COYB

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

If offered... on 15:32 - Oct 24 with 3193 viewstextbackup

I said after 10 games id have been happy with W 4 D 4 L 2.... we massively exceeded my expectations. so the position we are in is great.

However, it must be said, I could accept the defeat sunday by thinking "its how we now bounce back" - and its a worry that we didn't bounce back in the slightest

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

If offered... on 15:33 - Oct 24 with 3195 viewsBackToRussia

The thing is we're not playing very well despite the results. Hence the worry despite our position. I believe it is a well founded worry.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

If offered... on 15:51 - Oct 24 with 3143 viewshaynes_toe1

I'd have taken it but would also have been my expectation. We have a much better and bigger squad than the strong majority of this league.
Everyone would have taken it..... on 16:01 - Oct 24 with 3130 viewsBloots

....but it's not as simple as just looking at the results.

We'd been fairly unconvincing in 4 or 5 of the first 11 matches, our results have really flattered us.

I wouldn't be so sure about Saturday.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Everyone would have taken it..... on 16:09 - Oct 24 with 3114 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Everyone would have taken it..... on 16:01 - Oct 24 by Bloots

We'd been fairly unconvincing in 4 or 5 of the first 11 matches, our results have really flattered us.

If you look at it purely from performances

Burton - Good
Sunderland - Very good
Peterborough - Okay
Wimbledon - Poor
Bolton - Okay
Shrewsbury - Okay
Doncaster - Poor
MK Dons - Good
Gillingham - Okay
Tranmere - Good
Fleetwood - Okay
Accrington - Abysmal
Rotherham - Poor

That's just my assessment of how we have played in those matches. Excellent 60 minutes against Sunderland, good 45 against Tranmere, great 45 against MK Dons and that's really about it.

As you say we have been unconvincing in many of the matches and yes, I know it's about the points, but it was only a ridiculous defensive record that had us anywhere near the top. The defence now seems shaky and Norwood is woefully out of form and Keane looks miles off it.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if we were only just in the playoff places after 5-6 more games and that's based purely on us not having strung together any kind of back to back good performances, merely back to back good results, which have now turned.

Look at the three teams we've played best against. Sunderland who came here to play football. Burton who knock it about. MK Dons who do the same. We have played very well against the footballing sides, but we've been poor against every other side that's tried to stifle us, something we will face for 90% of the matches this season.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2019 16:16]

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Everyone would have taken it..... on 18:02 - Oct 24 with 3043 viewsGuthrum

However, last season people were mocked for praising better performances while results remained poor. Which is it to be?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Everyone would have taken it..... on 18:07 - Oct 24 with 3034 viewshaynes_toe1

Everyone would have taken it..... on 18:02 - Oct 24 by Guthrum

However, last season people were mocked for praising better performances while results remained poor. Which is it to be?

That's because the performances didnt really improve though. All that changed was we kept it on the floor a bit more. We were no better in defending or attacking. If anything we were slightly worse. that's why, in my opinion, people didn't take those who were waxing lyrical about Lambert and our performances too seriously.

That and we were relegated without putting up anything even close to a fight.
Everyone would have taken it..... on 18:54 - Oct 24 with 2996 views44_not_out

Everyone would have taken it..... on 16:09 - Oct 24 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Burton - Good
Sunderland - Very good
Peterborough - Okay
Wimbledon - Poor
Bolton - Okay
Shrewsbury - Okay
Doncaster - Poor
MK Dons - Good
Gillingham - Okay
Tranmere - Good
Fleetwood - Okay
Accrington - Abysmal
Rotherham - Poor

That's just my assessment of how we have played in those matches. Excellent 60 minutes against Sunderland, good 45 against Tranmere, great 45 against MK Dons and that's really about it.

As you say we have been unconvincing in many of the matches and yes, I know it's about the points, but it was only a ridiculous defensive record that had us anywhere near the top. The defence now seems shaky and Norwood is woefully out of form and Keane looks miles off it.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if we were only just in the playoff places after 5-6 more games and that's based purely on us not having strung together any kind of back to back good performances, merely back to back good results, which have now turned.

Look at the three teams we've played best against. Sunderland who came here to play football. Burton who knock it about. MK Dons who do the same. We have played very well against the footballing sides, but we've been poor against every other side that's tried to stifle us, something we will face for 90% of the matches this season.

So if your list had read mainly ‘very good’ and ‘good’ but we’d been on the end of some bad decisions and found ourselves 11th, would you be happy? This forum would be in total meltdown.

Guys, it’s two games..... have a bit of positivity. The league is scrappy, end of! We’re never going to see a Man City v Barcelona type match of pretty football.

If by May, we’re in the top 2 (ideally top) having dogged it out for most matches, I’d be more than happy.

Modern day football fans, always moaning.... give be strength
Login to get fewer ads

If offered... on 19:24 - Oct 24 with 2964 viewsOxford_Blue

Yes but the point is our form and confidence has nose dived
If offered... on 19:33 - Oct 24 with 2948 viewsTheBoyBlue

Agree.

However, I have been saying for a while that the real test of what we're made of was how we reacted to our first defeat and we failed that miserably last night. I am also still worried - as I was before - at just how many chances we need to actually score. I can't understand why shooting should be so hard for people who are paid disproportionate amounts of money for being able to kick a football more accurately than the rest of us, even at this level.

The only saving grace is that so far just about every team's been dreadful so if we play anywhere near our best for a large enough periods of most of our games, we ought to scrape up. But we need to start realising that we need to work our socks off to ensure that we go up and therefore aren't stuck in this blinking division for years. Enough of the mass team-changes and more particularly system changes. Get winning and stick to what and who works.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

If offered... on 19:35 - Oct 24 with 2942 viewshoppy

If offered... on 19:24 - Oct 24 by Oxford_Blue

Yes but the point is our form and confidence has nose dived

Nose dived? 2 (two) games? And you don’t think that’s a bit soon to be panicking?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

If offered... on 19:40 - Oct 24 with 2932 viewsSwansea_Blue

That’s the trouble with the yoof today. No standards and no ambition.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Everyone would have taken it..... on 19:47 - Oct 24 with 2916 viewsBrixtonBlue

Everyone would have taken it..... on 18:07 - Oct 24 by haynes_toe1

That's because the performances didnt really improve though. All that changed was we kept it on the floor a bit more. We were no better in defending or attacking. If anything we were slightly worse. that's why, in my opinion, people didn't take those who were waxing lyrical about Lambert and our performances too seriously.

That and we were relegated without putting up anything even close to a fight.

Who was waxing lyrical about Lambert? Got a link?

I only remember people (sensibly) saying give him time.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Everyone would have taken it..... on 19:56 - Oct 24 with 2889 viewstextbackup

i was consistently told this game is only a results business when I pulled up an ex manager for his failings.....

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Everyone would have taken it..... on 20:22 - Oct 24 with 2866 viewshaynes_toe1

Everyone would have taken it..... on 19:47 - Oct 24 by BrixtonBlue

Who was waxing lyrical about Lambert? Got a link?

I only remember people (sensibly) saying give him time.

Really? You need a link?
Everyone would have taken it..... on 20:23 - Oct 24 with 2859 viewsBrixtonBlue

Everyone would have taken it..... on 20:22 - Oct 24 by haynes_toe1

Really? You need a link?

Yes please...

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Everyone would have taken it..... on 20:42 - Oct 24 with 2815 viewshaynes_toe1

Everyone would have taken it..... on 20:23 - Oct 24 by BrixtonBlue

Yes please...

Cant be bothered to look properly for something you could easily do yourself but simply shoving Lambert into the search box the first couple pages include

Open letter from Lambert to fans. by Reuser_is_God 17 Jan 2019 7:10
https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town-manager-paul-lambert-open-letter-1-5854682

Superb.

I'd give Lambert 5 years. by ActionMan 11 Oct 2019 15:43
That may sound radical to some.....

We need some stability, some long term planning and he's clearly putting a lot right off the field as well as ensuring so far that we're not going to be in this league for long. He seems to be able to get the best out of younger players, he seems to improve players while they are here . He's improving our football as best he can at this level too. He's a good influence on Evans and keeps his penny pinching in check too.

I am not expecting us to play in the Premiership in that time, I am hopefully Lambert can turn us back into a top 10 division two outfit that can compete with some of the money clubs at that level without breaking the bank within that 5 years.

For his critics I will say this.. who else of any stature is going to take this job now? We tried young and exciting, it doesn't work.

Everyone would have taken it..... on 20:47 - Oct 24 with 2805 viewsBrixtonBlue

Everyone would have taken it..... on 20:42 - Oct 24 by haynes_toe1

Cant be bothered to look properly for something you could easily do yourself but simply shoving Lambert into the search box the first couple pages include

Open letter from Lambert to fans. by Reuser_is_God 17 Jan 2019 7:10
https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town-manager-paul-lambert-open-letter-1-5854682

Superb.

I'd give Lambert 5 years. by ActionMan 11 Oct 2019 15:43
That may sound radical to some.....

We need some stability, some long term planning and he's clearly putting a lot right off the field as well as ensuring so far that we're not going to be in this league for long. He seems to be able to get the best out of younger players, he seems to improve players while they are here . He's improving our football as best he can at this level too. He's a good influence on Evans and keeps his penny pinching in check too.

I am not expecting us to play in the Premiership in that time, I am hopefully Lambert can turn us back into a top 10 division two outfit that can compete with some of the money clubs at that level without breaking the bank within that 5 years.

For his critics I will say this.. who else of any stature is going to take this job now? We tried young and exciting, it doesn't work.

The first one is a thread praising his letter to the fans (so PR, nothing to do with performances) and the second is one person saying, "He's improving our football as best he can."

If that's "waxing lyrical" you must lose your sh!t at Daily Mail headlines!

Everyone would have taken it..... on 20:53 - Oct 24 with 2788 viewshaynes_toe1

Everyone would have taken it..... on 20:47 - Oct 24 by BrixtonBlue

The first one is a thread praising his letter to the fans (so PR, nothing to do with performances) and the second is one person saying, "He's improving our football as best he can."

If that's "waxing lyrical" you must lose your sh!t at Daily Mail headlines!

The first one says hes the best thing to happen to the club alongside other way ott compliments. If people are going overboard on PR stuff and ignoring the football side, that's not my fault. It's still waxing lyrical.

The second wants Lambert here for a guaranteed 5 years, seemingly regardless.

I've seen so many posters call you hard work.

I can see why.

(P.s you can happily search for plenty more examples should you still be interested)
If offered... on 21:12 - Oct 24 with 2771 viewsjas0999

No excusing the last two performances. But nonetheless a good start.
If offered... on 21:16 - Oct 24 with 2765 viewsMJallday

i think my biggest gripe is that after being 7 points clear and having 2 games in hand or so, we now find ourselves level on points and second.

just a bit deflating after such promise. as you say, id have been happy at this position at the start of the season

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Everyone would have taken it..... on 21:41 - Oct 24 with 2744 viewsBrixtonBlue

Everyone would have taken it..... on 20:53 - Oct 24 by haynes_toe1

The first one says hes the best thing to happen to the club alongside other way ott compliments. If people are going overboard on PR stuff and ignoring the football side, that's not my fault. It's still waxing lyrical.

The second wants Lambert here for a guaranteed 5 years, seemingly regardless.

I've seen so many posters call you hard work.

I can see why.

(P.s you can happily search for plenty more examples should you still be interested)

I'm not hard work haynesy-baby... not for people who tell the truth.

What you did was classic TWTD - building a straw man to knock down. No-one has "waxed-lyrical" about the performances under Lambert. People have said the football's better than Mick's, but that's about the extent of it. No-one's been describing us like Barcelona.

"If people are going overboard on PR stuff... it's still waxing lyrical." Except you were talking about performances, not PR stuff.

Your second example was one person asking for stability. He didn't say he wants Lambert here for 5 years because the football's so great.

I'm not going to search for examples when I know they don't exist. It's up to you to prove your point anyway, not me. If you can find some genuine posts where people are waxing lyrical about the performances I'll apologise and admit I was wrong...

Everyone would have taken it..... on 21:44 - Oct 24 with 2738 viewshaynes_toe1

Everyone would have taken it..... on 21:41 - Oct 24 by BrixtonBlue

I'm not hard work haynesy-baby... not for people who tell the truth.

What you did was classic TWTD - building a straw man to knock down. No-one has "waxed-lyrical" about the performances under Lambert. People have said the football's better than Mick's, but that's about the extent of it. No-one's been describing us like Barcelona.

"If people are going overboard on PR stuff... it's still waxing lyrical." Except you were talking about performances, not PR stuff.

Your second example was one person asking for stability. He didn't say he wants Lambert here for 5 years because the football's so great.

I'm not going to search for examples when I know they don't exist. It's up to you to prove your point anyway, not me. If you can find some genuine posts where people are waxing lyrical about the performances I'll apologise and admit I was wrong...

I disagree, you're hard work because you're unable or unwilling to read.

I said waxing lyrical about Lambert AND our performances.

You asked me where people were waxing lyrical about LAMBERT. I gave you a thread which does that in abundance.

If you then want some on performances on top of that then I'm not going to waste my time if you cant even acknowledge the above..
Everyone would have taken it..... on 21:49 - Oct 24 with 2730 viewsBrixtonBlue

Everyone would have taken it..... on 21:44 - Oct 24 by haynes_toe1

I disagree, you're hard work because you're unable or unwilling to read.

I said waxing lyrical about Lambert AND our performances.

You asked me where people were waxing lyrical about LAMBERT. I gave you a thread which does that in abundance.

If you then want some on performances on top of that then I'm not going to waste my time if you cant even acknowledge the above..

Haha, nice try. I read very well thanks.

You were replying to Guthers who said, "However, last season people were mocked for praising better performances while results remained poor. Which is it to be?"

And your response:
"That's because the performances didnt really improve though. All that changed was we kept it on the floor a bit more. We were no better in defending or attacking. If anything we were slightly worse. that's why, in my opinion, people didn't take those who were waxing lyrical about Lambert and our performances too seriously."

Don't kid a kidder. You were talking about the PERFORMANCES under Lambert. None of this was about his PR skills.

Everyone would have taken it..... on 21:54 - Oct 24 with 2716 viewsGlasgowBlue

Everyone would have taken it..... on 16:09 - Oct 24 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Burton - Good
Sunderland - Very good
Peterborough - Okay
Wimbledon - Poor
Bolton - Okay
Shrewsbury - Okay
Doncaster - Poor
MK Dons - Good
Gillingham - Okay
Tranmere - Good
Fleetwood - Okay
Accrington - Abysmal
Rotherham - Poor

I thought we were well on top against Fleetwood. The result never looked in doubt until the final few minutes after the penalty miss.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024