Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it just me 19:35 - Oct 24 with 3044 viewsclive_baker

Or are there significantly less coppers in lay-bys with speed guns than there used to be? A consequence of reduced police numbers perhaps? Or maybe just that most of my driving tends to be very early of late at night nowadays.

I’m sure I’m tempting fate in some way but I genuinely can’t remember the last time I saw a speed camera van or copper with a speed gun.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Is it just me on 19:38 - Oct 24 with 2757 viewsSwansea_Blue

It’s been donkey’s years since I’ve seen a copper in a lay-bye with a speed gun. Maybe that technology and approach has been phased out? I’ve seen far fewer vans lately though; also the very few I have seen have been about 12 years old and looking like an unsuccessful sole trader painter’s van.

Probably all the cuts.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Is it just me on 19:53 - Oct 24 with 2736 viewsbritbiker

I've noticed that this coincides with the opening of Costa Coffee shops everywhere. If you want to see a police car, sit outside a petrol station which has a Costa next to it.
Is it just me on 19:56 - Oct 24 with 2735 viewsfooters

Does anyone know the answer to this...

Today at work, two blokes were arguing about their respective speeding fines. One geez was caught by a gun and alleges that the 10% doesn't apply (he was going 31 in a 30); of course geez 2 was caught out with a normal camera where that rule does apply.

Are they different? The argument was around the accuracy of the gun being taken into account more than the possible deficiencies of the normal 'un.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Is it just me on 19:59 - Oct 24 with 2721 viewsSwansea_Blue

Is it just me on 19:56 - Oct 24 by footers

Today at work, two blokes were arguing about their respective speeding fines. One geez was caught by a gun and alleges that the 10% doesn't apply (he was going 31 in a 30); of course geez 2 was caught out with a normal camera where that rule does apply.

Are they different? The argument was around the accuracy of the gun being taken into account more than the possible deficiencies of the normal 'un.

31 in a 30! World’s gone mad.

(Or forces and councils are looking to alternative means of supplementing income as a result of crippling cuts to core service budgets).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Is it just me on 20:02 - Oct 24 with 2707 viewsfooters

Is it just me on 19:59 - Oct 24 by Swansea_Blue

(Or forces and councils are looking to alternative means of supplementing income as a result of crippling cuts to core service budgets).

As a non-driver I have no clue about this malarkey, m8. Do different rules apply in different boroughs/counties? If, for example, it was a 20 zone outside a skool wiv all the precious saucepan lids I could well see a need for harsher limits.

This one was in central London, the other 10% bloke was in Cornwall, so could make sense...

Is it just me on 20:10 - Oct 24 with 2682 viewsfactual_blue

There is no rule or law about any leeway. Police officers (or indeed whole forces) may apply it at their discretion. In part using discretion takes some pressure out of the judicial system, but the law is clear: if you're exceeding the limit then you're committing an offence.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Is it just me on 20:13 - Oct 24 with 2674 viewsKentish_Tractor

Last one I saw was about 3 weeks ago - mobile van outside Holiday Inn just past Copdock Tesco on road into town. Prime place for them there - dual carriageway but a 40mph limit and small speed signs.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2019 20:15]

Poll: How often are you refreshing TWTD today?

Is it just me on 20:21 - Oct 24 with 2651 viewsfooters

Is it just me on 20:10 - Oct 24 by factual_blue

There is no rule or law about any leeway. Police officers (or indeed whole forces) may apply it at their discretion. In part using discretion takes some pressure out of the judicial system, but the law is clear: if you're exceeding the limit then you're committing an offence.

An excellent answer. Thank you.

Login to get fewer ads

Is it just me on 20:30 - Oct 24 with 2635 viewsGeoffSentence

Is it just me on 20:13 - Oct 24 by Kentish_Tractor

Last one I saw was about 3 weeks ago - mobile van outside Holiday Inn just past Copdock Tesco on road into town. Prime place for them there - dual carriageway but a 40mph limit and small speed signs.

A prime place indeed given the number of c0ckwits who dont think that the limit there applies to them.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Is it just me on 20:34 - Oct 24 with 2623 viewsbluelagos

Acpo guidelines are 10% +2 (minimum) for prosecution. Have never heard of anyone being prosecuted below that, though as Factors points out, they can do you if they want.

Recently I saw a Norfolk traffic copper state they dont prosecute under 80mph in a 70.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Is it just me on 20:35 - Oct 24 with 2617 viewsfactual_blue

There will be a large sign at the start of the 40mph zone, and then the smaller 'reminder' signs at intervals of between 100 and 900 yards depending on the layout of the road.

There are clear rules about all this sort of thing.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Is it just me on 20:38 - Oct 24 with 2608 viewsRyorry

I got caught by a gun (in 2015 iirc) - 34 in a 30 & got 3 points, as I'd done a speed awareness course 2 or 3 years previously :(

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Is it just me on 20:41 - Oct 24 with 2603 viewsbluelagos

The proliferation of speed cameras, average speed cameras mean speeders are policed anyway. Hence why coppers in hedges are less common these days.

This week I rode via A12 and M25 and saw 7 marked cars within 5 miles dealing with a crash (A12) and enjoying a cuppa (A12/M25 garage) then another 3 at the Dartford crossing.

You may also see Suffolk police vans in laybys with mobile cameras, regularly see one on the A137 in Brantham.

Is it just me on 21:18 - Oct 24 with 2550 viewsMJallday

i hope so. new car day tommorow.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Is it just me on 21:27 - Oct 24 with 2530 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Frequently speed camera vans on the A 140, Stonham and Coddenham being particular favourites of theirs.
Passed one this Tuesday morning coming out of Stowmarket towards Bacton.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Is it just me on 23:21 - Oct 24 with 2447 viewsGuthrum

Is it just me on 21:18 - Oct 24 by MJallday

i hope so. new car day tommorow.

Jag?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Is it just me on 07:23 - Oct 25 with 2369 viewsjjblue84

They’re all on twitter now policing people’s speech!!
Is it just me on 08:07 - Oct 25 with 2334 viewsBloomBlue

I didnt think there was any difference. There are a few misconceptions on those fixed roadside cameras ie some people think they cannot trigger them if your driving towards them.
My neighbour thought that and when he attended his speed awareness course 6 other people on the course had been caught by the same camera all driving towards it and all thought the same 'the cameras dont trigger if your driving towards them'
He said the course instructors first question was 'hands up those who think fixed speed cameras dont capture you when driving towards them and only capture when you drive past?'
Is it just me on 08:11 - Oct 25 with 2331 viewsitfcjoe

Over the last 6 weeks I reckon I've seen one nearly every day - before that I'd have agreed with you.

Bucklesham Road is a particular favourite at the moment if anyone uses it

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Is it just me on 08:12 - Oct 25 with 2327 viewsitfcjoe

I got caught there just as Richard Wright saved a Ross McCormack penalty in Roy Keane's first game in charge at Cardiff, clearly wasn't concentrating!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Is it just me on 08:29 - Oct 25 with 2318 viewsbluelagos

Is it just me on 08:07 - Oct 25 by BloomBlue

I didnt think there was any difference. There are a few misconceptions on those fixed roadside cameras ie some people think they cannot trigger them if your driving towards them.
My neighbour thought that and when he attended his speed awareness course 6 other people on the course had been caught by the same camera all driving towards it and all thought the same 'the cameras dont trigger if your driving towards them'
He said the course instructors first question was 'hands up those who think fixed speed cameras dont capture you when driving towards them and only capture when you drive past?'

Always wondered how front facers would work at night, given vehicles have headlights on.

Is it just me on 12:18 - Oct 25 with 2239 viewsWD19

Saw my first ones on the way to work for years this morning. I blame you.

Fortunately I was having a lazy morning and in no rush to get anywhere.....and they were far to busy dealing with a battered old BMW with tinted windows.
Is it just me on 13:29 - Oct 25 with 2194 viewsJimmyJazz

Is it just me on 20:02 - Oct 24 by footers

As a non-driver I have no clue about this malarkey, m8. Do different rules apply in different boroughs/counties? If, for example, it was a 20 zone outside a skool wiv all the precious saucepan lids I could well see a need for harsher limits.

This one was in central London, the other 10% bloke was in Cornwall, so could make sense...

One thing that that does differ from county to county is the cost of the speed awareness course. Asked to attend a course and compared Suffolk to Essex location, Essex was about £10-£20 more expensive

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Is it just me on 13:37 - Oct 25 with 2187 viewsColchesterBlue1985

Is it just me on 19:59 - Oct 24 by Swansea_Blue

Having done a speed awareness course recently I can confirm half the people there was doing under 10% and two of the people were doing just 1mph over.
Is it just me on 13:40 - Oct 25 with 2185 viewsSikamikanico

Is it just me on 08:07 - Oct 25 by BloomBlue

These courses nearly always have one old boy in his 60s who wants to argue about why he shouldn't have been prosecuted. Unconfirmed if they always drive Audis.

(Based on the experience of myself, spouse, dad and a couple of friends)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024