Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 39 Chinese migrants 08:11 - Oct 25 with 5210 viewsuefacup81

Does anyone else find it somewhat distasteful that pretty much every media outlet is now publishing the driver's name and photograph?

I'd imagine that he had no idea what was in the container, given he merely picked it up from Purfleet. Likewise, I'm sure that the murder investigation is what would happen with something like this, no matter what the circumstances?

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

The 39 Chinese migrants on 08:24 - Oct 25 with 4527 viewsPinewoodblue

Wait until the full story appears. Clue.....who called for an ambulance for starters?

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

The 39 Chinese migrants on 08:35 - Oct 25 with 4501 viewsuefacup81

The 39 Chinese migrants on 08:24 - Oct 25 by Pinewoodblue

Wait until the full story appears. Clue.....who called for an ambulance for starters?

Rather than being all cryptic and nose-tappy about it, why not just state what you know? Otherwise it just comes across like some morbid game of 'I know more than you'.

The 39 Chinese migrants on 08:37 - Oct 25 with 4487 viewsOldsmoker

Our Tabloid media have never let their lack of morals and basic decency get in the way of a good story.
The driver might ony be guilty of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
The latest I've read suggests that the refrigerated trailer was boarded, then sealed and sat for at least 10 hours on the Belgian side. The temperatures would have been -25 during that time so they died in Belgium.
Was the NI driver complicit? Hiring a driver and his cab to drive to Purfleet from NI seems odd. There must have been more local drivers to hire.
We should wait for the police to finish their investigations.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

The 39 Chinese migrants on 08:39 - Oct 25 with 4481 viewsSitfcB

I assumed the driver but haven’t seen it reported anywhere?

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

The 39 Chinese migrants on 08:42 - Oct 25 with 4473 viewsPinewoodblue

The 39 Chinese migrants on 08:39 - Oct 25 by SitfcB

I assumed the driver but haven’t seen it reported anywhere?

So you think he knew what his cargo was

2023 year of destiny

The 39 Chinese migrants on 08:51 - Oct 25 with 4442 viewsuefacup81

The 39 Chinese migrants on 08:37 - Oct 25 by Oldsmoker

Our Tabloid media have never let their lack of morals and basic decency get in the way of a good story.
The driver might ony be guilty of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
The latest I've read suggests that the refrigerated trailer was boarded, then sealed and sat for at least 10 hours on the Belgian side. The temperatures would have been -25 during that time so they died in Belgium.
Was the NI driver complicit? Hiring a driver and his cab to drive to Purfleet from NI seems odd. There must have been more local drivers to hire.
We should wait for the police to finish their investigations.

You folks may know more than me - it sounds like some of you have done a fair bit of reading around the subject.

I'd imagine that the driver being used could well have been a case of him having been in the area as part of his schedule - there's probably a good chance that he'd previously delivered something to one of the Essex docks.

Others suggesting that the fact that the driver called the police immediately screams 'shenanigans' are desperately trying to find any reason for this to be anything other than a tragic accident, I fear. It's most likely the case that the driver opened the container to check the load, at which point 39 people were supposed to jump out, except they didn't. That's a sight he'll be haunted by for the rest of his life, and it's shameful that he's already being flagged as a murderer by most of this country's press.

The 39 Chinese migrants on 09:06 - Oct 25 with 4413 viewsNo9

& info was released from N.I. last night that the Essex police had still not requested the vehicle trackers
The 39 Chinese migrants on 09:10 - Oct 25 with 4393 viewsSitfcB

The 39 Chinese migrants on 08:42 - Oct 25 by Pinewoodblue

Nope.

COYB

Login to get fewer ads

The 39 Chinese migrants on 09:31 - Oct 25 with 4336 viewsOldsmoker

I'm sure the paperwork didn't say the load was 39 immigrants.
Any driver would assume that a refrigerated trailer would either be empty or have goods requiring refrigeration inside.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

The 39 Chinese migrants on 09:35 - Oct 25 with 4322 viewsGeoffSentence

Aye, seems unlikely that he was responsible for their deaths as he only picked the trailer up and drove it a few miles.

Whether he was involved in any other way will come out in the investigation I am sure.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

The 39 Chinese migrants on 09:44 - Oct 25 with 4306 viewsGuthrum

Why did he park up on an industrial estate to check the cargo, not in the port area or using an ordinary layby?

Shouldn't really speculate, but there are lots of questions pertaining to this. Latest reports this morning that the police are investigating a people-smuggling gang based in the Northern Irish border area, with alleged links to political dissidents (tho of which side, not specified).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The 39 Chinese migrants on 09:46 - Oct 25 with 4293 viewsSitfcB

The 39 Chinese migrants on 09:44 - Oct 25 by Guthrum

Why did he park up on an industrial estate to check the cargo, not in the port area or using an ordinary layby?

Shouldn't really speculate, but there are lots of questions pertaining to this. Latest reports this morning that the police are investigating a people-smuggling gang based in the Northern Irish border area, with alleged links to political dissidents (tho of which side, not specified).

I imagine he was going to park up for some sleep?

Maybe he went to open the back door, as some drivers do overnight to prevent theft, and then saw the bodies.

COYB

The 39 Chinese migrants on 09:48 - Oct 25 with 4288 viewsSwansea_Blue

You're right in you first sentence. Trial by media/public is too common. Who knows what he knew and what his role has been in this; that'll eventually come out I imagine.

I wonder why they were immediately reported as being Bulgarians, and where that came from.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2019 9:50]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The 39 Chinese migrants on 09:51 - Oct 25 with 4280 viewsGuthrum

The 39 Chinese migrants on 09:46 - Oct 25 by SitfcB

Maybe he went to open the back door, as some drivers do overnight to prevent theft, and then saw the bodies.

But you can't leave the door open overnight on a refrigerated unit*. The (presumably perishable) goods inside would get warm. Plus you'd want them to get to the destination as fast as possible, so you'd think he'd take his break before picking up.

* Or any lorry that wasn't empty, for that matter, as that would just be an invitation to pinch from within.

The 39 Chinese migrants on 10:02 - Oct 25 with 4256 viewsNthsuffolkblue

There are a few things here as I see it.

He has been arrested on suspicion of murder and therefore under our law his name is able to be in the media.

It seems bizarre the charge on the basis he had only just picked up the trailer and they were likely dead for some time before that.

The fact he has been arrested on the charge means nothing about guilt or innocence. Unfortunately too many members of the public fail to understand that.

If the driver was complicit and he discovered them, why would he have reported it? Was it actually him who called it in and if not, how were they discovered? Would he not have contacted the gang in order to arrange disposal of the evidence?

Too many of the things in the media don't seem to add up. Was the unit ever on? If so, anyone who knew they were in there and knew it was on knew they were going to be dead - presumably that does not work well for the traffickers' business.

Sitters' suggestion that he thought he had an empty load and opened the doors when he parked up seems to have some logic behind it but also suggests the refrigeration would have been off and he anticipated an empty trailer.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

The 39 Chinese migrants on 10:08 - Oct 25 with 4225 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The 39 Chinese migrants on 09:51 - Oct 25 by Guthrum

But you can't leave the door open overnight on a refrigerated unit*. The (presumably perishable) goods inside would get warm. Plus you'd want them to get to the destination as fast as possible, so you'd think he'd take his break before picking up.

* Or any lorry that wasn't empty, for that matter, as that would just be an invitation to pinch from within.

Indeed, so if that was why he opened it up he expected an empty trailer and the refrigeration to be off.

If he opened it expecting the migrants on board one assumes he expected the refrigeration to be off.

There are too many missing details here to know what the truth is which is why the police will investigate and try to prove what they need to.

Either the driver is entirely innocent and his name in the media is harsh or he is complicit. Time will almost certainly tell. If all charges against him are dropped I don't think his name having been in the media will do him any harm - I hope not anyway.

The 39 Chinese migrants on 10:14 - Oct 25 with 4208 viewsGuthrum

The 39 Chinese migrants on 10:08 - Oct 25 by Nthsuffolkblue

Indeed, so if that was why he opened it up he expected an empty trailer and the refrigeration to be off.

If he opened it expecting the migrants on board one assumes he expected the refrigeration to be off.

There are too many missing details here to know what the truth is which is why the police will investigate and try to prove what they need to.

Either the driver is entirely innocent and his name in the media is harsh or he is complicit. Time will almost certainly tell. If all charges against him are dropped I don't think his name having been in the media will do him any harm - I hope not anyway.

He also might have parked up to get a burger from a particularly good late-night van on the estate before heading off. He probably checked the back because drivers are responsible for there being no illegal migrants aboard nowadays.

There are entrely innocent explanations for much of this, too.

The 39 Chinese migrants on 10:20 - Oct 25 with 4193 viewsGuthrum

The 39 Chinese migrants on 10:02 - Oct 25 by Nthsuffolkblue

There are a few things here as I see it.

He has been arrested on suspicion of murder and therefore under our law his name is able to be in the media.

It seems bizarre the charge on the basis he had only just picked up the trailer and they were likely dead for some time before that.

The fact he has been arrested on the charge means nothing about guilt or innocence. Unfortunately too many members of the public fail to understand that.

If the driver was complicit and he discovered them, why would he have reported it? Was it actually him who called it in and if not, how were they discovered? Would he not have contacted the gang in order to arrange disposal of the evidence?

Too many of the things in the media don't seem to add up. Was the unit ever on? If so, anyone who knew they were in there and knew it was on knew they were going to be dead - presumably that does not work well for the traffickers' business.

Sitters' suggestion that he thought he had an empty load and opened the doors when he parked up seems to have some logic behind it but also suggests the refrigeration would have been off and he anticipated an empty trailer.

In which case, why was an empty and off trailer sealed going through the port in Belgium (as the authorities have stated). Also, it doesn't make commercial sense to drive an empty trailer all the way from Bulgaria to Northern Ireland - large fuel cost for no financial return - when you could almost certainly hire one in the UK.

The 39 Chinese migrants on 10:43 - Oct 25 with 4148 viewslinhdi

The 39 Chinese migrants on 09:46 - Oct 25 by SitfcB

It was a sealed refrigerated unit. You don't open those "to check".
The 39 Chinese migrants on 11:06 - Oct 25 with 4086 viewsStokieBlue

I find the Chinese media take on it rather distasteful. They are using it to criticise the UK's "social governance" whilst they go about systematically destroying a culture and imprisoning millions based purely on ethnicity.

It's staggeringly hypocritical at a time when everyone should be focusing on what actually happened and ensuring it doesn't happen again.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/25/essex-lorry-deaths-uk-must-bear-re

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The 39 Chinese migrants on 11:16 - Oct 25 with 4059 viewsGuthrum

The 39 Chinese migrants on 10:20 - Oct 25 by Guthrum

In which case, why was an empty and off trailer sealed going through the port in Belgium (as the authorities have stated). Also, it doesn't make commercial sense to drive an empty trailer all the way from Bulgaria to Northern Ireland - large fuel cost for no financial return - when you could almost certainly hire one in the UK.

To that last part - apparently it didn't. Had been all over the place in the last week or so.

The 39 Chinese migrants on 12:48 - Oct 25 with 3938 viewsPinewoodblue

The 39 Chinese migrants on 11:16 - Oct 25 by Guthrum

To that last part - apparently it didn't. Had been all over the place in the last week or so.

The trailer unit was hired, or leased, from an Irish company. The cab unit crossed Irißh Sea and was seen parked up on the industrial estate, curtàins drawn, the morning before a container unit was collected.

Two further arrests in Cheshire on suspicion of manslaughter.

2023 year of destiny

The 39 Chinese migrants on 12:54 - Oct 25 with 3927 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The 39 Chinese migrants on 11:06 - Oct 25 by StokieBlue

I find the Chinese media take on it rather distasteful. They are using it to criticise the UK's "social governance" whilst they go about systematically destroying a culture and imprisoning millions based purely on ethnicity.

It's staggeringly hypocritical at a time when everyone should be focusing on what actually happened and ensuring it doesn't happen again.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/25/essex-lorry-deaths-uk-must-bear-re

SB

It's their state-run media but it does ignore the glaringly obvious question - why are they so desperate to leave?

The 39 Chinese migrants on 13:43 - Oct 25 with 3831 viewsnorth_stand77

I found it distasteful that the media referred to them last night as ' The Essex 39', which I found very disrespectable and a way of trying to sensationalise what is already a terrible situation. I hope that phrase is not going go continue
The 39 Chinese migrants on 16:49 - Oct 25 with 3684 viewsMullet

Really fascinating debate.

I've also found the screenshots from various groups on social media, full of bile and hate towards the people in the back utterly depressing. The lack of compassion or care for that scenario, or thought what might have led people to be so desperate is very telling.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024