Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been 07:45 - Oct 27 with 5181 viewsitfc_bucks

That we've had Aaron Cresswell and now Tyrone Mings leave us and find their way to the England squad, Adam Webster being hyped up as the next one to make that leap, Didz go and play well and regularly in the prem, Connor Hourihane do the same.

Genuinely seething at the sheer scale of the talent squandered at PR over the past 10 years or so. I really hope we've stopped the rot now, as I can easily see Flynn and Woolfy being at that level in the next few years, whether with us or not.
It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 07:51 - Oct 27 with 3776 viewsMVBlue

Athough thats always been the case for us in my supporting days.
Darren Bent, Richard Wright, Kieron Dyer all went on to have roles for England after leaving us to those ‘bigger’ clubs playing at the top level.

Although I do remember Kieron Dyers TWTD piece where he wrote of his first call up for England with us, talking about asking for Baby Spices number of a team mate.

We just need to always reinvest wisely.

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 07:51 - Oct 27 with 3771 viewsMattinLondon

No. Cresswell and Mingus both went to PL clubs and you can’t really stop players from wanting to play at a higher level. Think Webster just wanted out.

Hourianne - never saw him play for the U23s so can’t comment.

McGoldrick - it was just his time to go. A fantastic player but his heart wasn’t with him staying here.
It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 07:53 - Oct 27 with 3766 viewsGuthrum

Except that having one or two decent international-class players doesn't mean the team as a whole is good enough to get promoted. Also, those players had several years of development after leaving us before they made the England squad.

You can't expect us to have kept hold of them in the face of big transfer offers. Plus it would have reduced their chances of selection for the national team.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 07:54 - Oct 27 with 3752 viewsartsbossbeard

"seething".

Your argument would have some gravitas if we were Manchester United or Barcelona and sold these players to a title chasing rival.

There's better examples of mismanagement at the club than our selling of decent players for a decent wedge.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 08:01 - Oct 27 with 3696 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Ipswich is not the team for you. Maybe try Real Madrid for a while and see how that goes.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 08:01 - Oct 27 with 3686 viewsBarneycurley

Yeah like that poorly run club Chelsea fancy lettimg Salah and Debruyne leave for a song

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 08:06 - Oct 27 with 3637 viewsGlasgowBlue

Not really. The Premier league clubs were buying “potential”, not the finished article. Look at how hyped Connor Wickham was. In hindsight we did well to get £8million or him.

Premier league teams take punts on young players from lower league clubs. For most clubs like us, those sales help keep them afloat.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 08:07 - Oct 27 with 3622 viewsBluefish

I assume you are quite new to football?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Login to get fewer ads

It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 08:08 - Oct 27 with 3623 viewsTractorWood

It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 07:54 - Oct 27 by artsbossbeard

"seething".

Your argument would have some gravitas if we were Manchester United or Barcelona and sold these players to a title chasing rival.

There's better examples of mismanagement at the club than our selling of decent players for a decent wedge.

We got robbed on Cresswell.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2019 8:08]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 08:11 - Oct 27 with 3590 viewsartsbossbeard

It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 08:08 - Oct 27 by TractorWood

We got robbed on Cresswell.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2019 8:08]

We robbed rangers for waghorn and garner. Swings and roundabouts..x

Edit: no idea how an "x" appeared but I'll keep it anyway.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2019 8:16]

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 08:22 - Oct 27 with 3508 viewsHerbivore

We sold Cresswell, Mings and Webster for good money when sides came in for them and they wanted to move to further their career. Hourihane is an odd one as he seemed miles from the first team when he was here before going on to have a very good career but that kind of thing happens. Mings was let go by Southampton, for example. Didz was at the end of the road here, I think everyone knew that. Your anger is massively misplaced, save it for stuff that's genuinely bad.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 08:27 - Oct 27 with 3476 viewsGlasgowBlue

It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 08:22 - Oct 27 by Herbivore

We sold Cresswell, Mings and Webster for good money when sides came in for them and they wanted to move to further their career. Hourihane is an odd one as he seemed miles from the first team when he was here before going on to have a very good career but that kind of thing happens. Mings was let go by Southampton, for example. Didz was at the end of the road here, I think everyone knew that. Your anger is massively misplaced, save it for stuff that's genuinely bad.

The only disappointing sale was Webster to Bristol City, who were in the same league as us.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 08:39 - Oct 27 with 3381 viewsMullet

Seems a very odd reaction of the last few years. If not for them we'd be here now quicker, and possibly even closer to Sunderland or Bolton in terms of where we are at.

That doesn't make it right, but Mings allowed Mick to operate for at least a season or two whilst we also built a team of frees who ran down their contracts such as Berra and Skuse etc.

Hourihane has said it wasn't right for him here and Jewell had much bigger problems, but he's a far bigger miss than someone like Marriott or Rhodes it seems. I suspect we will sell Downes next unless Evans changes his approach, if we go up this season and settle for being in a relegation scrap he'll want the money.

It's possible someone will give us money for Andre in January and if that happens, how much we take will tell us a lot.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 08:52 - Oct 27 with 3308 viewsChurchman

The moves for Mings, Cresswell, Bent and Dyer were perfectly logical. They wanted to make the step up to the Premier League. McGoldrick had been with us a long time and it was in both parties interests that he moved on.

Less logical was the timing of Richard Wright’s move. I get the ambition to play for a bigger club and earn more money but to do so after one good season in the PL just to shine his rear end on a bench seemed daft at the time and still does to me - but it was his choice

Totally daft was getting rid of Jordan Rhodes. Seemed idiotic at the time and so it proved. Hourihane? Never saw him play but hindsight says it wasn’t the smartest. Against this is the many players we’ve rightly shipped out who disappeared.
It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 09:17 - Oct 27 with 3215 viewsOxford_Blue

Those players would have left anyway, because they were too good for the division. They would have left for more money and better prospects anyway. If we had refused to allow them to leave, it would have been very bad for morale in the team and they would have hardly given their all. They would have left anyway at the the end of their contracts for nothing. Better to cash in on them.
It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 09:24 - Oct 27 with 3176 viewsPinewoodblue

It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 08:52 - Oct 27 by Churchman

The moves for Mings, Cresswell, Bent and Dyer were perfectly logical. They wanted to make the step up to the Premier League. McGoldrick had been with us a long time and it was in both parties interests that he moved on.

Less logical was the timing of Richard Wright’s move. I get the ambition to play for a bigger club and earn more money but to do so after one good season in the PL just to shine his rear end on a bench seemed daft at the time and still does to me - but it was his choice

Totally daft was getting rid of Jordan Rhodes. Seemed idiotic at the time and so it proved. Hourihane? Never saw him play but hindsight says it wasn’t the smartest. Against this is the many players we’ve rightly shipped out who disappeared.

Muhren , Brazil, Talbot !!!

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 09:24 - Oct 27 with 3176 viewsStokieBlue

That post is virtually without context.

You've just just listed players who played at different times who wanted to play in the PL and who left for good money in general.

I can only imagine you've not enjoyed MOTD over your morning coffee.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 09:46 - Oct 27 with 3076 viewsstrikalite

As said you'll never stop players moving on, for whatever reason, the only thing that has always frustrated me is the sell on clause percentage, 10% is normal I understand, but with such massive fees being asked now for a player(Mings for example)who turns out to be a diamond, I really think we should be then getting a bigger slice of the cake like 25%..

If they had sold Mings for £50m, lets say, they'd have made £42m out of Mings, yes £4.2m would have been great but that just seems hugely unbalanced, I think sell on percentages might change given the way the market is going, I hope it does and smaller Clubs really stand their ground on this..
It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 09:46 - Oct 27 with 3078 viewsitfc_bucks

It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 07:54 - Oct 27 by artsbossbeard

"seething".

You're missing the point. We sold Mings and Cressy for decent money. Same for Webster. Allowing Didz to run down his contract seema madness.

We never properly reinvested into quality, but rather dogsheet and journeymen.

It's galling, the sheer level of waste.
It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 09:53 - Oct 27 with 3032 viewsartsbossbeard

It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 09:46 - Oct 27 by itfc_bucks

You're missing the point. We sold Mings and Cressy for decent money. Same for Webster. Allowing Didz to run down his contract seema madness.

That would be the point that you didn't actually make in your op then?

It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 10:02 - Oct 27 with 2988 viewsTractorWood

It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 08:11 - Oct 27 by artsbossbeard

We robbed rangers for waghorn and garner. Swings and roundabouts..x

Edit: no idea how an "x" appeared but I'll keep it anyway.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2019 8:16]

Yeah fair rebuttal.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 10:04 - Oct 27 with 2977 viewsitfc_bucks

It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 09:53 - Oct 27 by artsbossbeard

That would be the point that you didn't actually make in your op then?

I felt it was implied.

Plus I've been up since 4 with a pukey 4 year old, learn to read my mind and decipher what I mean.
It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 10:06 - Oct 27 with 2972 viewsHerbivore

It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 09:46 - Oct 27 by itfc_bucks

Didz was our highest earner and we struggled to get 20 games a season from him, you're using an awful lot of hindsight to see him leaving as 'madness'.

The money was spent on the squad as a whole in terms of making a number of signings and paying their wages.

It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 10:09 - Oct 27 with 2962 viewsBluefish

The alternative was to sell didz earlier, no sure we can grumble because everyone would have been livid if he had been sold when Leicester came for him.

You couldn't have mings without selling cresswell, you could have Webster without transfer fees received elsewhere. Some players were bought as investments and didn't add value. If it was straight forward then every club would do it.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 10:14 - Oct 27 with 2944 viewsHerbivore

It really is a sign of how mismanaged we've been on 10:09 - Oct 27 by Bluefish

The alternative was to sell didz earlier, no sure we can grumble because everyone would have been livid if he had been sold when Leicester came for him.

You couldn't have mings without selling cresswell, you could have Webster without transfer fees received elsewhere. Some players were bought as investments and didn't add value. If it was straight forward then every club would do it.

We did have Mings before selling Cresswell in fairness.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024