Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First memory of catching the football ‘bug’? 13:50 - Oct 27 with 4215 viewsSwailsey

Having already gone for a year or 2 from ‘96 onwards, I vividly remember a night game against Sunderland around ‘98 when we won 2:0 and seeing some away fans being kicked out and the stadium coming alive, I would only have been 10 or so.

Anyone else?
[Post edited 27 Oct 2019 14:03]

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

First memory of catching the football ‘bug’? on 14:13 - Oct 27 with 3473 viewsgainsboroughblue

1982 World Cup for me probably, despite having been to Portman Road a few times before that.

Admiral kit.
Lots of Town players on show.
The 'disgrace of Goujon'
Schumacher totaling Battiston.
El Salvador losing 10-1
Bloody Keegan's header.
Tardelli's celebration in the final.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

First memory of catching the football ‘bug’? on 14:14 - Oct 27 with 3468 viewsBlue_badge

Night match, Mar 1967 - my first game was the FA Cup replay against Man City ("we was robbed" a few days earlier at Maine Road when ref ruled out a Joe Broadfoot winner - a header believe it or not). Lost 3-0, Mike Summerbee scoring 2.
A very fortunate time to start following The Town.
PS my interest was ignited by the 66 World Cup win, that gripped everybody (apart from my Dad who didn't want me to go to watch football matches)
[Post edited 27 Oct 2019 14:16]
First memory of catching the football ‘bug’? on 14:26 - Oct 27 with 3444 viewsbluelagos

Watching some team in blue (on the box) win some silverware in 1978.

First live match saw them beat some yellow n green muppets 2-0 a few years later. Watched from the west stand as the fans set fire to a Naaridge scarf in the north. Loved it.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

First memory of catching the football ‘bug’? on 14:39 - Oct 27 with 3435 viewsPJH

My first actual football related memory is from 1954 or 1955 when as a 3 or 4 year old I saw Jack Parry play in goal for ITFC against Plymouth Argyle-don't know if it was a first team game or reserves because it could have been either.

I remember being at F.A. Cup games at home to Luton in 1959 and Peterborough in 1960 and the official switching on of the floodlights against Arsenal in 1960.

I remember us as good as clinching promotion to the top division against Sunderland in 1961.

I remember watching 1958 and 1959 F.A. Cup Finals on (different) friends TV sets and the 1960 Final on our TV set which we had acquired since the 1959 Final.

That brings me to season 1961/62....
First memory of catching the football ‘bug’? on 14:40 - Oct 27 with 3432 viewsGlasgowBlue

Seeing us beat West Brom 7-0 at Portman Road. It was a winter game so the floodlights were on in the second half which made it an unforgettable atmosphere.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

First memory of catching the football ‘bug’? on 14:43 - Oct 27 with 3413 viewsPJH

First memory of catching the football ‘bug’? on 14:40 - Oct 27 by GlasgowBlue

Seeing us beat West Brom 7-0 at Portman Road. It was a winter game so the floodlights were on in the second half which made it an unforgettable atmosphere.

Paul Mariner's home debut.

Three of the goals were really special-one of Whymark's four,The Beats and PM's.
First memory of catching the football ‘bug’? on 14:48 - Oct 27 with 3400 viewsPendejo

Love at first sight!

Jan 77, but probably wasn't the football so much as the sound of the crowd. Though the success of the team probably helped.

Then again as a player in 86 when I joined my first Sunday league team. Would class myself as below average as a player but really enjoyed playing.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

First memory of catching the football ‘bug’? on 14:52 - Oct 27 with 3394 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

My first memory of catching the football was in about 1972...Man U v Spurs ....behind a fence and having the weight of realising that when I through the ball back was going to affect the final result! (1-1) The burden of accepting responsibility
for actions and consequences has not lifted since!
[Post edited 27 Oct 2019 14:55]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Login to get fewer ads

First memory of catching the football ‘bug’? on 14:58 - Oct 27 with 3370 viewsFunge

Probably 2nd or 3rd game I went to in 86.

Seeing the little dudes jump around on the scoreboard when we scored was, to my 7 year old brain, the greatest.
First memory of catching the football ‘bug’? on 14:59 - Oct 27 with 3362 viewsm14_blue

Italia 90.

I still haven’t got over it.
First memory of catching the football ‘bug’? on 17:30 - Oct 27 with 3288 viewsfactual_blue

Can't remember why...

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

First memory of catching the football ‘bug’? on 17:54 - Oct 27 with 3256 viewscbower

Liverpool versus Stromgodset in European game at Anfield in 74 (i think). Final score 11(Eleven) - 0. Some first game to witness I guess.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2019 17:56]

bluescouser

First memory of catching the football ‘bug’? on 17:57 - Oct 27 with 3247 viewsRyorry

Being at college & living in Ipswich 1972-74. Asked out to a game in that period but declined as wasn't yet bitten by bug - that only really happened just after I left (approx June '74) & I realised what I'd missed out on! with the team going such great guns under BR. Could often recite the teamsheet before it was even announced!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

First memory of catching the football ‘bug’? on 18:52 - Oct 27 with 3204 viewsReuser_is_God

The smell of the Churchmans.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

First memory of catching the football ‘bug’? on 19:26 - Oct 27 with 3193 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

First memory of catching the football ‘bug’? on 14:13 - Oct 27 by gainsboroughblue

1982 World Cup for me probably, despite having been to Portman Road a few times before that.

Admiral kit.
Lots of Town players on show.
The 'disgrace of Goujon'
Schumacher totaling Battiston.
El Salvador losing 10-1
Bloody Keegan's header.
Tardelli's celebration in the final.

Cycling home from school double quick and just in time to see Butcher flicking it on for Robson to score. Fell in love with that Brazil team and Paolo Rossi broke my heart. When Keegan got beaten up in a lay-by years later he said he didn’t think they recognised him. Can’t remember which one but saw a comedian saying, no Kev they knew, it was for the header in 82.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

First memory of catching the football ‘bug’? on 19:34 - Oct 27 with 3173 viewsGlasgowBlue

First memory of catching the football ‘bug’? on 14:43 - Oct 27 by PJH

Paul Mariner's home debut.

Three of the goals were really special-one of Whymark's four,The Beats and PM's.

Just re watched that on youtube. Players don't blow kisses to the crowd when they score these days do they?

Iron Lion Zion

First memory of catching the football ‘bug’? on 19:39 - Oct 27 with 3167 viewsPJH

First memory of catching the football ‘bug’? on 19:34 - Oct 27 by GlasgowBlue

Just re watched that on youtube. Players don't blow kisses to the crowd when they score these days do they?

I watch that on youtube from time to time although it has been linked to threads on here a few times.

We were on fire that game weren't we?
First memory of catching the football ‘bug’? on 19:45 - Oct 27 with 3158 viewsDubtractor

1986 Mexico world cup for me, aged 10.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

First memory of catching the football ‘bug’? on 19:46 - Oct 27 with 3153 viewsGlasgowBlue

First memory of catching the football ‘bug’? on 19:39 - Oct 27 by PJH

I watch that on youtube from time to time although it has been linked to threads on here a few times.

We were on fire that game weren't we?

Yep. That was a good team. More direct than the 79-82 boys but still fantastic to watch and should have had at least one title and another FA Cup win.

Iron Lion Zion

First memory of catching the football ‘bug’? on 20:56 - Oct 27 with 3102 viewsnorfsufblue

My first memory was my Dad and his brother taking me yo watch Palace where some guy fell backwards onto the retracing and smashed his head open, blood everywhere!.... but might first real game was Spurs at home to Chelsea circa '67.... watched their hoolies chasing each other round the ground from the safety of a seat in an upper their.... watched the 69 cup final on telly and is the first game I can remember an actual goal being scored but my love affair with Town began 22nd Sept 1973 v Burnley( the Saturday after the Real Madrid game) which was a beautiful sunny day , a great game, we won 3-2 and Kevin Beattie instantly became my new hero despite Bryan Hamilton getting 2 of the goals.
First memory of catching the football ‘bug’? on 21:43 - Oct 27 with 3082 viewsOldsmoker

It was the 1966 World Cup.
My pull-out fixture Chart had me filling in each result as we advanced to the final. If England had lost it would have destroyed me as I had this belief that as Group A winners playing Group B winners Germany we would win.
The winners of each group were in order A= 1st,B=2nd,C=3rd,D=4th and that is how it turned out.
I was sent to collect the Green'un every saturday night so I knew about Town. Just like Blue_Badge the Man City 3-0 game was my first - Me and a friend sqeezing in the Adult Turnstile and paying 2 shilling as a 2 for 1. The youth turnstile was 1 shilling but it was swamped. We sat on the edge of the pitch by the Chicken run/North stand corner flag. I got home at 11pm and my mother was about to go to the police station to report me missing. I was supposed to be home at 6 for tea.
I'd crossed a line, but my parents were happier knowing that I was going to the football every saturday from now on rather than hanging out with mods and rockers.
They weren't so happy later when they realised I'd turned into a hairy.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

First memory of catching the football ‘bug’? on 23:17 - Oct 27 with 3034 viewsgainsboroughblue

First memory of catching the football ‘bug’? on 19:26 - Oct 27 by WestStanderLaLaLa

Cycling home from school double quick and just in time to see Butcher flicking it on for Robson to score. Fell in love with that Brazil team and Paolo Rossi broke my heart. When Keegan got beaten up in a lay-by years later he said he didn’t think they recognised him. Can’t remember which one but saw a comedian saying, no Kev they knew, it was for the header in 82.

Rob Newman in the Mary Whitehouse Experience I think.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

First memory of catching the football ‘bug’? on 01:31 - Oct 28 with 2998 viewsfloridablue

Although I'd been going along to home games with mates since before the mid 60s and the odd away, Man City Maine road 5th rd FA cup 67 was probably one of my first, the boys saturday morning team, (Maidenhall Wanderers who became the Smock) I played for arranged an end of season treat to Upton Park for the first division title decider between West Ham and Man Utd 67/68 A party of probably 20 of us all crammed onto the terraces of the west stand (amazing we all stayed together), gates locked with thousands still outside and Man Utd go on to win 6-1, mass pitch invasion, fights everywhere as they celebrate winning the title. Didn't play for the team next season as I was now hooked into going to away games the year Town went on to win the old 2 nd division.............well and truly bitten!
[Post edited 28 Oct 2019 1:33]
First memory of catching the football ‘bug’? on 01:33 - Oct 28 with 2995 viewsjeera

I once had a dodgy tummy after eating some burger at Highbury.
[Post edited 28 Oct 2019 1:34]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

First memory of catching the football ‘bug’? on 07:34 - Oct 28 with 2932 viewswkj

Always followed town as a youth, but the first time I was bitten big time was when I saw Bobby Petta play. I know he isn't probably the top of many ITFC lists, but watching him on the wing was bloody entertaining. What I would give to have him fit and in form for us in today's game.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024