Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? 17:51 - Oct 28 with 20006 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

With Winter fast approaching, I was just wondering what the coldest football game you have ever been to is and how you dealt with it?

I want to give a shoutout to someone back in 2015 vs Wolves at home who was doing laps of the concourse at half time to "warm his feet up". True story.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 17:57 - Oct 28 with 8976 viewstiptreeblue

Bristol Rovers away in the FA cup in the 77/78 season, how that game got played i really don`t know
Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 17:58 - Oct 28 with 8971 viewsgeg1992

Middlesbrough at home, minus 13.

Got called off as the pitch froze half way through

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 18:01 - Oct 28 with 8963 viewsBeattie78

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 17:57 - Oct 28 by tiptreeblue

Bristol Rovers away in the FA cup in the 77/78 season, how that game got played i really don`t know

Another vote for Bristol Rovers away in 1978. Forgot to take my gloves

LexdenBlue62

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 18:01 - Oct 28 with 8965 viewsSitfcB

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1253277/Scunthorpe-United-1-I

Could see the pitch freezing up as the game went on

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 18:02 - Oct 28 with 8953 viewsPJH

Yes, it was a bit chilly that day wasn't it?

If my memory is correct they held our special train at Ipswich station until the result of the pitch inspection was known.

Not sure how the referee decided it was playable.
Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 18:04 - Oct 28 with 8939 viewsSuffolktractor

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 18:01 - Oct 28 by Beattie78

Another vote for Bristol Rovers away in 1978. Forgot to take my gloves

Agreed, definitely the coldest for me. Then the lights fused on the train on the way home from memory, and it was bloody cold on the train too.
Still amazed we got away with a draw that day.
Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 18:07 - Oct 28 with 8925 viewsronnyd

Villa park FA cup semi, the Clive Thomas one in 76, was bitter cold. Also got snowed in on the way home too.
Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 18:10 - Oct 28 with 8906 viewsfactual_blue

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 18:07 - Oct 28 by ronnyd

Villa park FA cup semi, the Clive Thomas one in 76, was bitter cold. Also got snowed in on the way home too.

Wasn't that 1975?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 18:11 - Oct 28 with 8901 viewsMullet

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 18:02 - Oct 28 by PJH

Yes, it was a bit chilly that day wasn't it?

If my memory is correct they held our special train at Ipswich station until the result of the pitch inspection was known.

Not sure how the referee decided it was playable.

Must be something about the Gas as the game in the 90's with horizontal hale whipping in would be mine.

That and Coventry away when we won in the last minute and the M6 was a death trap heading north.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 18:11 - Oct 28 with 8903 viewsrobdaful

Not sure about coldest but the home game against Leicester in 2010 must be up there all I can remember is loads of snow and people saying the game would have been abandoned if it hadn't been on sky
Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 18:13 - Oct 28 with 8885 viewsronnyd

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 18:10 - Oct 28 by factual_blue

Wasn't that 1975?

I know that it was a long time ago.
Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 18:14 - Oct 28 with 8879 viewsdavblue

A Wycombe game over Christmas, ive never felt so cold ever.

A warning to fans going to the game on NYD, wrap up warm it's in a valley and it gets very cold.
[Post edited 28 Oct 2019 18:15]
Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 18:15 - Oct 28 with 8872 viewsfactual_blue

Yes - a bit nippy, but there were thirteen of us in twelve seats, so we were pretty snug.

And then Uncle Factual (RIP) won a pub raffle in Baldock on the way home. He needed the loo, asked the landlord if it was OK to do so without buying a drink. 'So long as you buy a raffle ticket', said the landlord, 'we're just about to draw it'.

UF picked his prize up on the way out, and was asked never to return.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 18:19 - Oct 28 with 8847 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Oldham v Millwall back in the 90s. Was up there on a pre season cricket tour. Our match was abandoned when the sight screen flipped over, so I decided to take in some footie. Never experienced cold like it. Still the only game I’ve been to where the wind took a keepers kick and blew it back over his head for a corner

Poll: On 14th April 2020, will we be

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 18:23 - Oct 28 with 8812 viewsGlasgowBlue

Quarter final of the league cup at home to WBA in 2010.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 18:28 - Oct 28 with 8793 viewsPJH

Another one that I remember as being very cold was the 2-1 win away to Twente Enschede in December 1973.

We flew from Southend to Amsterdam I think with the travel agency run by Jim Easter.
Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 18:29 - Oct 28 with 8792 viewsjeera

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 17:58 - Oct 28 by geg1992

Another vote for this.

I was over-dressed in the sense I could barely breathe, but hell, when that wind blew into the Churchmans/Sir Alf, it cut straight through.

It's the first time I've not been sorry to know a game to be cut short.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 18:34 - Oct 28 with 8774 viewsFPL_Tractor

Charlton away, possibly New Year’s Day. 90s or 00s, not sure. Frozen. Anyone else remember it?

For more ITFC chat and some fantasy football mutterings follow me on twitter @fpl_tractor.

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 18:34 - Oct 28 with 8773 viewsHerbivore

That was a cold one. I seem to remember a home game with Stockport in the late 90s that was freezing, chilled me to my bones.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 18:38 - Oct 28 with 8760 viewsBent_double

Was that the one 4 or 5 years ago?

Forgot my coat, had to pop into the shop and buy an extra top. Was sooo glad when they called it off!

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 18:44 - Oct 28 with 8744 viewsGuthrum

Not sure it was that cold, but the snow during (and, particularly, on the way home from) the Coventry away game in 2012 - when Chopra scored a last-minute winner - was rather memorable. Took me about three hours to do a journey which should have taken one.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 18:53 - Oct 28 with 8713 viewsEastTownBlue

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 18:34 - Oct 28 by FPL_Tractor

Charlton away, possibly New Year’s Day. 90s or 00s, not sure. Frozen. Anyone else remember it?

Two actually. If it was in the Premier League it was 2002. Also had a cold New Year's day match there in 1997.
Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 19:02 - Oct 28 with 8672 viewslongtimefan

England v Cameroon at Wembley 1991, it was absolutely freezing. Travelled in a friend’s car , via Cambridge to pick up his mate on route, and stayed there overnight. Next morning got up early to travel back to work, to be met with snow. We only got as far as Stow-cum-Quy before his car stopped. The idiot didn’t have anti freeze in the engine and it had frozen, making it over heat. Waited 4 hours for breakdown services that never arrived before abandoning the car and hitch hiking home. Finally got back to Ipswich at 7pm, 12 hours after leaving Cambridge and having missed a days work!
Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 19:04 - Oct 28 with 8664 viewsGarv

That Wigan 0-0 a few years ago was pretty grim, but that could have been the football on show.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 19:08 - Oct 28 with 8652 viewsParisBlue

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 18:53 - Oct 28 by EastTownBlue

Two actually. If it was in the Premier League it was 2002. Also had a cold New Year's day match there in 1997.

The 1997 game gets my vote. Woke up New Years Day morning and was gutted the game was still on - one of only a few. The ref shortened half time as the pitch was freezing. Never been so cold.

On a similar theme the wetest I've ever been was Sunderland in 1992. A couple of weeks from promotion but stuffed by a Sunderland team not far from being relegated but in front of a full house due to promotions for cup final tickets. It started raining just before the game started and threw it down all game...

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024