Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Daylight savings time 22:07 - Oct 28 with 3680 viewsMoriarty

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/newsireland/island-of-ireland-to-have-two-differe

Yay or Nay?

EU to abolish it. UK to keep it. So it seems.

fka omuircheartaigh

Daylight savings time on 10:58 - Oct 29 with 991 viewsBrixtonBlue

Daylight savings time on 10:41 - Oct 29 by NotSure

Have you ever heard of the SNP?

Yep. the point stands for them too!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Daylight savings time on 10:59 - Oct 29 with 989 viewsBrixtonBlue

Daylight savings time on 10:39 - Oct 29 by BrixtonBlue

Are you alright Ryorry?

Ryorry is the best poster on TWTD.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Daylight savings time on 10:59 - Oct 29 with 991 viewsGogs

Daylight savings time on 06:00 - Oct 29 by Ryorry

You've never lived in the N of Scotland then? If current DS were scrapped, it'd be dark there till 11.30am.

I did get in the most reading I've ever done in my life during the 3 winters I lived on Orkney tho - pre-internet days, I used to stay in bed reading till it got light at 10.30am!

Once Brexit is done and dusted, if it ever is, and if the SNP ever become kingmakers in a coalition government they’ll want another independence vote. Should they then vote for independence they’ll then be able to set the time to whatever they like.
But I don’t really get the fuss over it. I’d rather we stayed on BST all year round. I hate it when it starts getting dark at 3:30. The amount of daylight doesn’t change whatever the clock says. Could those in eg northern Scotland not just adjust their work/life patterns accordingly to fit in with when it’s actually daylight? Would it really be that difficult? I’d have thought the likes of farmers do this in any case. What do they do in Iceland (the country not the shop)? Must have less daylight in winter than Scotland, but I’m sure they adapt and cope
Daylight savings time on 11:01 - Oct 29 with 986 viewsjonbull88

Daylight savings time on 09:30 - Oct 29 by itfcjoe

It's utterly pointless now - the farmers just need to adjust their working pattern and maybe start an hour later, not difficult.

It is like this in Australia too, where Queensland and New South Wales spend half a year on different time zones - we stayed at a friends in Queensland and they operated a coffee shop just over border in NSW and that was confusing as anything for us staying there a few days - guess you get used to it!

It was brought in back when we didn’t have the modern tech we now have. Also from the stories I’ve been told over the years, many of the workers went to the pub at lunchtimes and work productivity would decrease in the afternoon. So having extra light in the mornings would counter balance this issue.
Daylight savings time on 11:06 - Oct 29 with 972 viewsJonBlue

Year round DST would be an advantage for the South and East, much less so for the North and West. Plymouth for example wouldn't get light until after 9 for a couple of months of the year. Since the majority on this board are likely to be in the South East it's obvious it will be a popular option but it's worth remembering not all parts of the country will have this view.

I actually like that there is at least one aspect of British life that isn't totally London/South East centric.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2019 11:25]
Daylight savings time on 12:10 - Oct 29 with 920 viewsRyorry

Daylight savings time on 11:06 - Oct 29 by JonBlue

Year round DST would be an advantage for the South and East, much less so for the North and West. Plymouth for example wouldn't get light until after 9 for a couple of months of the year. Since the majority on this board are likely to be in the South East it's obvious it will be a popular option but it's worth remembering not all parts of the country will have this view.

I actually like that there is at least one aspect of British life that isn't totally London/South East centric.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2019 11:25]

Quite. I don't usually have much time for the SNP, but this thread (plus Brexit of course) has helped me understand why they get so angry!

We're supposed to be a *United* Kingdom, with understanding & consideration being given to all regions.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Daylight savings time on 12:28 - Oct 29 with 888 viewsBrixtonBlue

Daylight savings time on 12:10 - Oct 29 by Ryorry

Quite. I don't usually have much time for the SNP, but this thread (plus Brexit of course) has helped me understand why they get so angry!

We're supposed to be a *United* Kingdom, with understanding & consideration being given to all regions.

Yeah but you've still avoided/down-arrowed why the majority should be beholden to a tiny few.

Surely we should do what is of benefit to the majority? I'll happily concede if you can explain why rather than just avoiding the points and/or down-arrowing them.

I (and presumably most of the country) had to go home in the dark last night. Someone has to suffer*, so surely it should be as few as possible?

*To be clear, I didn't suffer. You know what I mean though. Whichever way you slice it, somebody's going to be in the dark.

Daylight savings time on 12:31 - Oct 29 with 885 viewsRyorry

Daylight savings time on 12:28 - Oct 29 by BrixtonBlue

Yeah but you've still avoided/down-arrowed why the majority should be beholden to a tiny few.

Surely we should do what is of benefit to the majority? I'll happily concede if you can explain why rather than just avoiding the points and/or down-arrowing them.

I (and presumably most of the country) had to go home in the dark last night. Someone has to suffer*, so surely it should be as few as possible?

*To be clear, I didn't suffer. You know what I mean though. Whichever way you slice it, somebody's going to be in the dark.

You've completely missed my point throughout.

Maybe others can explain it better.

I'm off outside to continue strimming whilst the lovely weather and daylight last ;/

Login to get fewer ads

Daylight savings time on 12:39 - Oct 29 with 877 viewsnorth_stand77

Daylight savings time on 10:28 - Oct 29 by Ryorry

Yes it does make a huge difference.

Have you ever lived there?

I agree with you Ryorry. I was brought up in Suffolk when it was trialled when i was a child and it was dreadful. Hence why it only lasted a year or so.
Everybody was affected by very dark mornings, particularly children who were going to school in the dark ( not just grey skies but proper dark). Kids were always late to school because their body clocks were telling them to sleep. It was a nightmare for parents.

Also our brains and bodies are much more switched on later in the day to deal with dark (travelling etc)
I definitely wouldn't want it back again!

[Post edited 29 Oct 2019 12:49]
Daylight savings time on 13:01 - Oct 29 with 858 viewsBrixtonBlue

Daylight savings time on 12:31 - Oct 29 by Ryorry

You've completely missed my point throughout.

Maybe others can explain it better.

I'm off outside to continue strimming whilst the lovely weather and daylight last ;/

I don't think I have - it's a bit sh!t for people who live in north Scotland.

Yeah, but they chose to live there!

You've consistently (and are doing it again) avoided the point that we shouldn't be doing something just to benefit a few while inconveniencing everyone else.

Daylight savings time on 17:49 - Oct 29 with 825 viewsRyorry

Daylight savings time on 13:01 - Oct 29 by BrixtonBlue

I don't think I have - it's a bit sh!t for people who live in north Scotland.

Yeah, but they chose to live there!

You've consistently (and are doing it again) avoided the point that we shouldn't be doing something just to benefit a few while inconveniencing everyone else.

I agree I often don't explain things well enough - I often simply don't have the time - but when you write comments such as "Yeah, but they chose to live there! I'm glad I didn't waste my time tbh.

Daylight savings time on 23:26 - Oct 29 with 778 viewsBrixtonBlue

Daylight savings time on 17:49 - Oct 29 by Ryorry

I agree I often don't explain things well enough - I often simply don't have the time - but when you write comments such as "Yeah, but they chose to live there! I'm glad I didn't waste my time tbh.

So still avoiding the points again? You're fast becoming a bigger swerver than Glassers. Have you thought of a career in politics?

Daylight savings time on 23:32 - Oct 29 with 777 viewsRyorry

Daylight savings time on 23:26 - Oct 29 by BrixtonBlue

So still avoiding the points again? You're fast becoming a bigger swerver than Glassers. Have you thought of a career in politics?

Ffs, do you ever actually read what has already been posted? Back on ignore you go.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2019 23:35]

Daylight savings time on 07:13 - Oct 30 with 745 viewsBrixtonBlue

Daylight savings time on 23:32 - Oct 29 by Ryorry

Ffs, do you ever actually read what has already been posted? Back on ignore you go.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2019 23:35]

I've read everything in this thread. You've still swerved answering why the whole country should be beholden to a tiny few.

Getting angry and putting me on ignore because you can't answer is the equivalent of a child sticking her fingers in her ears and going "La La La, I can't hear you".

I'm not the only one who's made the point either.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024