Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline 12:44 - Oct 29 with 14943 viewsfooters

Last night I attended a music recital. At one point a young chap (transfixed on his phone, of course) bumped into me, spilling half my pint. He apologised and walked away quickly. Now, is it just me or should he have at least offered a replacement? That's the way I was brought up anyhow.

That got me thinking and must say I've noticed a sharp increase in people ignoring the traditional pub queue as well, just ordering whenever the bar staff ask, instead of correctly pointing out the people who were there before.

Another incident was a mate of mine putting a 50p on a pool table to reserve our spot a while ago. Isn't that normal? The chaps playing didn't seem to think so and told him to remove it before things got physical. We played darts instead.

Are these noble British traditions still in practice elsewhere, or have I merely been unlucky? Whatever the case, it's certainly worrying.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 15:06 - Oct 29 with 3701 viewsDebsyAngel

Had the same Saturday night at the Cock and Pye. Clumsy stupid girl dancing whammed into our table and knocked my husband's full pint of lager all over him. I was absolutely seething as she just laughed and carried on dancing - did not even apologise or buy him a replacement. I would have been the opposite - apologetic and certainly buying a new pint. I suppose that's the way it is now which saddens me.
Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 15:08 - Oct 29 with 3686 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 15:06 - Oct 29 by SpruceMoose

Regarding number 5. I think old people are in part to blame for abusing this privilege.

Absolutely. By treating all young people the same.

I should have clarified in my earlier post that most kids (well 16-25 let's say) are generally decent and respectful towards 16 but as they get older, towards 25, half of them seem to abandon said manners.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 15:18 - Oct 29 with 3671 viewsGeoffSentence

As I recall the correct etiquette always used to be to grunt 'oi, you spilled my pint' and to the tw@t the tosser.

But I dunno, things might have changed now.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 15:35 - Oct 29 with 3640 viewsfooters

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 15:18 - Oct 29 by GeoffSentence

As I recall the correct etiquette always used to be to grunt 'oi, you spilled my pint' and to the tw@t the tosser.

But I dunno, things might have changed now.

I can't have a body on my record... yet. Things to do, old bean!

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 15:41 - Oct 29 with 3625 viewsMeadowlark

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 12:55 - Oct 29 by StokieBlue

It's just a general thing now.

Transport is especially bad - nobody respects the queues for the bus and people now seem to try and push onto vehicles before people have gotten off which is ridiculous.

SB

...and as for people using "gotten" instead of "got!"
Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 18:11 - Oct 29 with 3571 viewssuffolkpoker

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:11 - Oct 29 by SpruceMoose

Doesn't seem very British to have to engage a stranger in public like that though. I think that ruling applies more to groups of friends vying for a place on the table.

Nobody wants to spend fifteen awkward minutes competing and conversing with a stranger. No, the done thing is to sneak a 50p on the table and slink away to a respectful distance to keep watch on your claim, like a suspicious prospector.

I think it depends on the type off bar. If its a country bar and you want to play with your child. Then yea let them play togther.

If its a town bar and lads around the table, i would fully expect to win the table before playing my mate. I dont think its awkward playing others, i actually quite enjoy it. If i win 3 on the spin etc, i would happily retire undefeated.

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 18:18 - Oct 29 with 3561 viewsHerbivore

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 18:11 - Oct 29 by suffolkpoker

I think it depends on the type off bar. If its a country bar and you want to play with your child. Then yea let them play togther.

If its a town bar and lads around the table, i would fully expect to win the table before playing my mate. I dont think its awkward playing others, i actually quite enjoy it. If i win 3 on the spin etc, i would happily retire undefeated.

Why would I pay for some random to have a game of pool with me? If I put money down it's because I want to play with someone I've come to the pub with.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 18:36 - Oct 29 with 3544 viewsbrogansnose

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 13:09 - Oct 29 by BanksterDebtSlave

Which brings us to people who leave their bags on train seats while people look for somewhere to sit.

That really pops my gaskets.

Whenever I get on a train and there's isn't an obvious seat availible I then make a point of making a schmuck like that move their bag so I can sit down.

As for the pub thing, I always make a mental note of who may be before me up the bar and point that out if I get asked to be served before them. I detest bad social manners.
Login to get fewer ads

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 18:42 - Oct 29 with 3532 viewsbrogansnose

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:44 - Oct 29 by bluewein

Not sure if I've been whoosed or not now.

But I agree, civility is dying a bit. I was at Ally Pally on Saturday night watching Hot Chip and one of my biggest peevs is people who barge their way down to the front half way through a gig pretending they're "enjoying the moment" when really they being pricks who want to get to the front because they couldn't be bothered to drag themselves away from the bar to see the gig.

Arseheads...
[Post edited 29 Oct 2019 14:44]

Whooo, I did Hot Chip Saturday night.

As I'm now getting older, what does me in is the amount of people carrying pints through to the front and gushing beer over all and sundry whilst smiling, oh, and the girl with the chuffin' back pack who kept banging into me and giving me dirty looks like it was my fault.

Anyway, they was very good.
Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 18:44 - Oct 29 with 3532 viewsNthQldITFC

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 13:02 - Oct 29 by WD19

I am increasingly of the view that the world would be a better place if c.5bn people just disappeared.

Unfortunately I haven't yet got around to making the list of exactly who, so its not going to happen anytime soon.

That's a bit conservative for my taste.

PS. Please keep my name off your list.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 19:35 - Oct 29 with 3504 viewsTrequartista

"traditional pub queue"? I have never seen an orderly queue in a pub in my life. I concur with your other gripes though.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 20:39 - Oct 29 with 3472 viewssolemio

The only folk who ever offer this old person a seat on train or underground are young Muslims of both genders.
Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 20:40 - Oct 29 with 3473 viewsfooters

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 19:35 - Oct 29 by Trequartista

"traditional pub queue"? I have never seen an orderly queue in a pub in my life. I concur with your other gripes though.

It's a queue in the sense that you know other people were before or after you, not a physical queue.

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 20:42 - Oct 29 with 3466 viewsfooters

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 20:39 - Oct 29 by solemio

The only folk who ever offer this old person a seat on train or underground are young Muslims of both genders.

If you're ever on the same train or Tube as this upstanding citizen I will not only offer you my seat but my neighbour's too, for your Louis Vuitton bag.

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 20:45 - Oct 29 with 3460 viewssolemio

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 20:42 - Oct 29 by footers

If you're ever on the same train or Tube as this upstanding citizen I will not only offer you my seat but my neighbour's too, for your Louis Vuitton bag.

Who is Louis Vuitton? If I knew him I wouldn't dream of stealing his bag.
Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 20:48 - Oct 29 with 3457 viewsfooters

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 20:45 - Oct 29 by solemio

Who is Louis Vuitton? If I knew him I wouldn't dream of stealing his bag.

But you don't know him, so it's fine.

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 21:04 - Oct 29 with 3448 viewsjaykay

the etiquette in one of the pubs i used as young teenager in the 60s was you never ever swore in front of women in the pub. one or two people found that out to their cost.
now the women are most likely to be doing the swearing
this was one of the pubs i used but as my grandfather, father and uncles drunk in there i always had be on best behaviour.
https://flashbak.com/an-afternoon-at-the-engineers-arms-pub-leiston-suffolk-1966
the 7th pic down would have been a sunday dinner time.
no women in the bar,
well you only saw women in the pub on a sat night. different times

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 21:05 - Oct 29 with 3441 viewsHerbivore

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 21:04 - Oct 29 by jaykay

the etiquette in one of the pubs i used as young teenager in the 60s was you never ever swore in front of women in the pub. one or two people found that out to their cost.
now the women are most likely to be doing the swearing
this was one of the pubs i used but as my grandfather, father and uncles drunk in there i always had be on best behaviour.
https://flashbak.com/an-afternoon-at-the-engineers-arms-pub-leiston-suffolk-1966
the 7th pic down would have been a sunday dinner time.
no women in the bar,
well you only saw women in the pub on a sat night. different times

Sounds sh!t.

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 22:15 - Oct 29 with 3407 viewsjaykay

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 21:05 - Oct 29 by Herbivore

Sounds sh!t.

so you are a lucky little girl to be born in enlighten times

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 22:25 - Oct 29 with 3403 viewssparks

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 15:06 - Oct 29 by SpruceMoose

Regarding number 5. I think old people are in part to blame for abusing this privilege.

Things have changed. People have a sense of entitlement which is beyond obnoxious.

I'm on Fuerteventura currently. Someone pulled our in front of me on a roundabout, I sounded the horn and got an apologetic wave.

I cannot recall the last time that happened in the UK. you simply get the finger regardless of merit.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 22:27 - Oct 29 with 3396 viewsHerbivore

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 22:15 - Oct 29 by jaykay

so you are a lucky little girl to be born in enlighten times

I'm not sure why you continue to insinuate that I'm female when I've confirmed to you that I'm not. Is it meant to be insulting?

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 23:36 - Oct 29 with 3349 viewsstonojnr

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 13:33 - Oct 29 by Pinewoodblue

Spot on decent bar staff are hard to find. Knowing who was next to be served used to be an important part of the job as did not needing a till to total the bill.

quite right, this pointing out who is next is an acceptance the bar staff have failed in a primary part of their job, ie customer service, the decent ones rarely need prompting, its not always their fault they dont get trained properly in alot of cases.

but it does annoy me when they revert to the just serve whoever happens to turn up in front of them and leave entire sections of the bar waiting,
Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 00:03 - Oct 30 with 3344 viewsmonytowbray

Pubs have always been awful places. I don’t think there are any bars I feel the need to visit because it’s a good place, people and music make it for me.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 08:07 - Oct 30 with 3259 viewsartsbossbeard

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 00:03 - Oct 30 by monytowbray

Pubs have always been awful places. I don’t think there are any bars I feel the need to visit because it’s a good place, people and music make it for me.

Yeah, we get it.

You're just sooooo edgy.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 08:11 - Oct 30 with 3255 viewsfooters

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 00:03 - Oct 30 by monytowbray

One of the worst takes in TWTD history. Pubs are second homes :)

P.s. people and music can often be found in pubs.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024