Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Votes at 16? 15:03 - Oct 29 with 10223 viewsSpruceMoose

Seems alright to me. If you're old enough to:

Drink beer, cider or a glass of wine with a meal in a restaurant.
Buy a National Lottery ticket.
Buy Premium Bonds.
Fly a glider.
Order your own passport.
Ride a moped with a maximum engine power of 50cc (and a provisional licence), drive an invalid vehicle (with a licence) and a mowing machine or small tractor.
Drive a car if receiving mobility allowance.
Claim benefits and get a National Insurance number.
Join the army with parental consent.
Earn the minimum wage.
Claim child tax credit if responsible for at least one child.
Invest in a cash ISA.
Give consent to medical, dental and surgical treatment.
Choose your own doctor.
Pay prescription charges.
Legally have sex.
Leave home.
Apply to the local authority for your own home.
Apply for legal aid.

...then they're probably old enough to vote.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2019 15:14]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Votes at 16? on 15:05 - Oct 29 with 3224 viewsJ2BLUE

I can't argue against it. I don't think most 16 year olds know enough to have the vote but I voted for Brexit so pot, kettle, black etc.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Votes at 16? on 15:06 - Oct 29 with 3219 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Am I still correct in thinking that under the law, as a 16 year old, you can legally have sex with a girl in every position the karma sutra has ever referenced (even get her pregnant, become a father, move into a house and raise that child), but you have to wait 2 years (after you've potentially had 730 days of consensual, legal sex) before you can see a lady naked in a top shelf magazine?

Those two laws against each other are utterly ridiculous.

Likewise, that you can become a father and raise a child, but you can't have a small say on who your local MP is!

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Votes at 16? on 15:06 - Oct 29 with 3217 viewsvilanovablue

Also seems fair for EU nationals to vote given they already vote in local elections. Broadening the franchise is a sensible idea and also terrible for Johnson and the Tories.
Votes at 16? on 15:07 - Oct 29 with 3219 viewsitfcjoe

Votes at 16? on 15:05 - Oct 29 by J2BLUE

I can't argue against it. I don't think most 16 year olds know enough to have the vote but I voted for Brexit so pot, kettle, black etc.

Voting age should be age 16-65, they are the workforce and the engine of the country - once you've passed 65 you've had your chance.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Votes at 16? on 15:08 - Oct 29 with 3204 viewsSpruceMoose

Votes at 16? on 15:05 - Oct 29 by J2BLUE

You're probably right, but I don't think most 40 years know enough either.

I don't think it's about knowledge personally anyway. I think it's about rights, responsibilities and obligations. At 16 you can do certain things, and certain things are expected of you. I think a say in how the country is governed should go alongside that.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Votes at 16? on 15:08 - Oct 29 with 3201 viewshampstead_blue

seems a pretty long list.

You can add the Royal Navy, Royal Marines, and Royal Air Force but why you'd join them over the Army is beyond sense!

You can't go to an active combat zone. That's one thing you can't do.

Vote at 16? Why not, seems progressive and sensible.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Votes at 16? on 15:09 - Oct 29 with 3193 viewsSpruceMoose

Votes at 16? on 15:07 - Oct 29 by itfcjoe

Voting age should be age 16-65, they are the workforce and the engine of the country - once you've passed 65 you've had your chance.

I don't have an issue with old folks voting. I wouldn't fancy living for 20-30 years and not have a say in how the country is run. I'd just like to extend the same rights to 16 year olds.

Votes at 16? on 15:09 - Oct 29 with 3185 viewsJ2BLUE

Pensioners would then be screwed over. Why should someone with life expectancy of 80 not be allowed to vote at 65?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Votes at 16? on 15:10 - Oct 29 with 3170 viewsitfcjoe

Votes at 16? on 15:09 - Oct 29 by J2BLUE

Pensioners would then be screwed over. Why should someone with life expectancy of 80 not be allowed to vote at 65?

They've had it easy for far too long - by the time it comes in I'd be a pensioner anyway so would have to live and die by my view!

Votes at 16? on 15:11 - Oct 29 with 3157 viewslongtimefan

You do realise that State Pension age is going to far exceed 65 for many don't you? Much of the workforce will comprise over 65s in the future!
Votes at 16? on 15:11 - Oct 29 with 3156 viewsSpruceMoose

Votes at 16? on 15:08 - Oct 29 by hampstead_blue

seems a pretty long list.

You can add the Royal Navy, Royal Marines, and Royal Air Force but why you'd join them over the Army is beyond sense!

You can't go to an active combat zone. That's one thing you can't do.

Vote at 16? Why not, seems progressive and sensible.

They already have legal gliding experience so maybe the Air Force appeals!

Votes at 16? on 15:11 - Oct 29 with 3142 viewsitfcjoe

Votes at 16? on 15:09 - Oct 29 by SpruceMoose

I don't have an issue with old folks voting. I wouldn't fancy living for 20-30 years and not have a say in how the country is run. I'd just like to extend the same rights to 16 year olds.

It's more a tongue in cheek discussion point than anything, I dont have a strong view on it.

But anyone of that age who doesn't think 16 year olds should get it should have their vote taken away

Votes at 16? on 15:11 - Oct 29 with 3137 viewsfactual_blue

Votes at 16? on 15:10 - Oct 29 by itfcjoe

They've had it easy for far too long - by the time it comes in I'd be a pensioner anyway so would have to live and die by my view!

Sorry to disappoint, but your age group will never retire and draw a pension.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Votes at 16? on 15:12 - Oct 29 with 3136 viewsbluelagos

I'd also support EU nationals getting the vote. Many have the right to remain, pay taxes, yet are not allowed a say in how the country is run.

Seems very unfair to me.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Votes at 16? on 15:12 - Oct 29 with 3132 viewsSpruceMoose

Votes at 16? on 15:10 - Oct 29 by itfcjoe

Ain't nobody on here in their 30s getting to be a pensioner unless climate crisis is averted anyway!

Votes at 16? on 15:12 - Oct 29 with 3117 viewsSpruceMoose

Votes at 16? on 15:12 - Oct 29 by bluelagos

I'd also support EU nationals getting the vote. Many have the right to remain, pay taxes, yet are not allowed a say in how the country is run.

Seems very unfair to me.

No taxation without representation!

I must have been here too long...

Votes at 16? on 15:14 - Oct 29 with 3082 viewsGeoffSentence

Point of order.

67 not 65, I think, it could have gone up further by now. I can't keep up.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Votes at 16? on 15:14 - Oct 29 with 3079 viewshampstead_blue

Votes at 16? on 15:12 - Oct 29 by bluelagos

Seems very unfair to me.

too far for me.

a nope.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Votes at 16? on 15:16 - Oct 29 with 3053 viewsSpruceMoose

Votes at 16? on 15:14 - Oct 29 by hampstead_blue

too far for me.

a nope.

Why's that then? They already get a vote in local elections, and I'm sure you're aware that British, Irish and qualifying Commonwealth citizens already get a vote in General Elections.

If they can't vote, shouldn't expect them to pay tax either. A vote seems a fair trade for the tax they pay.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2019 15:17]

Votes at 16? on 15:17 - Oct 29 with 3034 viewsfooters

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Votes at 16? on 15:18 - Oct 29 with 3029 viewslowhouseblue

but it's just a game isn't it.
yesterday opposition refuses to vote for an election.
today they say they're up for one.
then they add amendments to the bill that they know the government won't support so that the government will pull the bill.
and we're back to where we were yesterday.

changing the franchise is big thing - it ought to be discussed properly and seriously. this is just yet more games playing.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Votes at 16? on 15:20 - Oct 29 with 3015 viewsSpruceMoose

Votes at 16? on 15:18 - Oct 29 by lowhouseblue

then they add amendments to the bill that they know the government won't support so that the government will pull the bill.

changing the franchise is big thing - it ought to be discussed properly and seriously. this is just yet more games playing.

Of course they aren't going to allow it. I was more interested in discussing it in principle. It would be the Conservatives worst nightmare. They want fewer young people voting, not more.

Votes at 16? on 15:22 - Oct 29 with 2987 viewsfooters

Votes at 16? on 15:18 - Oct 29 by lowhouseblue

Maybe it would help counteract the Tories' redrawing of boundaries in their favour?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Votes at 16? on 15:22 - Oct 29 with 2984 viewsPinewoodblue

Presumably you would also say no one over 65 should stand for election to parliament, or sit in the House of Lords. Why stop there take away the right to work beyond pensionable age and also the right to drive.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Votes at 16? on 15:23 - Oct 29 with 2979 viewsSpruceMoose

Votes at 16? on 15:22 - Oct 29 by footers

Maybe it would help counteract the Tories' redrawing of boundaries in their favour?

Silly Footers. You can't have minority votes being considered equal to gammony votes!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024