Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... 23:35 - Oct 29 with 9856 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

.....no thanks.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jul/23/lib-dems-stained-austerity

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 00:06 - Oct 30 with 3708 viewsClapham_Junction

All that should matter at this election is getting the Tories out. Whether that means voting Green, Labour, Lib Dem, Plaid or SNP, none of them could be worse that the sh1tshow we have at present.
Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 02:04 - Oct 30 with 3664 viewsIPS_wich

That's just a worried left wing view of the world.

In the run up to the 2010 election when it was highly likely that neither the Tories or Labour would get a majority, the Lib Dems came out and stated they would seek to form a government with which ever party won the most seats. They clearly thought that was likely to be Labour - hence the several days of procrastinating about forming a coalition with the Tories. But, they stuck to the commitment and formed a government.

As for austerity, well it was a shocking but necessary act. Labour had spunked all of our reserves (including selling the gold) during the hey days of the early 2000s (remember Brown stood up and said they'd ended boom and bust) and left us nothing when the global financial crisis hit. Remember the 'The cupboard is bare' note from the outgoing Labour treasury ministers in 2010. If the government hadn't gone for austerity measures to reduce the deficit we would have fallen back into a deep and long recession. Yes it hurt like hell but in the long run it was necessary.

Just like 2010, I'll be voting Lib Dem again - especially with the two main parties moving further to the left/right wing extremes.
Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 07:22 - Oct 30 with 3534 viewsSteve_M

Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 02:04 - Oct 30 by IPS_wich

In the run up to the 2010 election when it was highly likely that neither the Tories or Labour would get a majority, the Lib Dems came out and stated they would seek to form a government with which ever party won the most seats. They clearly thought that was likely to be Labour - hence the several days of procrastinating about forming a coalition with the Tories. But, they stuck to the commitment and formed a government.

As for austerity, well it was a shocking but necessary act. Labour had spunked all of our reserves (including selling the gold) during the hey days of the early 2000s (remember Brown stood up and said they'd ended boom and bust) and left us nothing when the global financial crisis hit. Remember the 'The cupboard is bare' note from the outgoing Labour treasury ministers in 2010. If the government hadn't gone for austerity measures to reduce the deficit we would have fallen back into a deep and long recession. Yes it hurt like hell but in the long run it was necessary.

Just like 2010, I'll be voting Lib Dem again - especially with the two main parties moving further to the left/right wing extremes.

Osborne and Cameron's 'austerity' was a politically motivated plan to create a much smaller state. The effects of that now show across everything that makes for a functioning state: the police, courts, prisons and probation, the NHS, schools and the military.

Can you tell me how much smaller the deficit is after nine years of Tory rule than in 2010?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 07:43 - Oct 30 with 3483 viewsIPS_wich

Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 07:22 - Oct 30 by Steve_M

Osborne and Cameron's 'austerity' was a politically motivated plan to create a much smaller state. The effects of that now show across everything that makes for a functioning state: the police, courts, prisons and probation, the NHS, schools and the military.

Can you tell me how much smaller the deficit is after nine years of Tory rule than in 2010?

A fair comment about the deficit - it hasn't shrunk, because we still borrow more than we generate - but I think the image below illustrates my point that in 2010 something had to be done to avoid bankrupting the country...

As for your other point - damn right we needed a smaller state - we couldn't afford the one Labour had created!!!

[Post edited 30 Oct 2019 7:44]
Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 07:44 - Oct 30 with 3482 viewsBluefish

Blimey the cult is panicking, they have gone really early with the desperate nasty stuff. I suppose they are facing the reality moment for the brainwashing to be exposed, despite all the talk a GE is the worst possible thing for them.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 07:50 - Oct 30 with 3463 viewsIPS_wich

Let's hope that this time the Lib Dems can form a coalition with Labour and be a moderating influence to the lunatic left.
Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 07:58 - Oct 30 with 3426 viewsGlasgowBlue

Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 07:43 - Oct 30 by IPS_wich

A fair comment about the deficit - it hasn't shrunk, because we still borrow more than we generate - but I think the image below illustrates my point that in 2010 something had to be done to avoid bankrupting the country...

As for your other point - damn right we needed a smaller state - we couldn't afford the one Labour had created!!!

[Post edited 30 Oct 2019 7:44]

You’re confusing deficit with debt. The deficit has shrunk and is now one sixth of its 2010 level.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 08:09 - Oct 30 with 3393 viewsbournemouthblue

Did the cuts need to be as deep?

There has always been a suggestion that the depth of the cuts were for ideological reasons, to shrink state control ultimately

It's quite staggering that Boris is going to run a campaign where they basically admit austerity was a mistake as if they weren't responsible for the last 10 years of pain

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Login to get fewer ads

Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 08:16 - Oct 30 with 3374 viewsSomethingBlue

Just whoever gets the Tories out please. The rest comes later.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 08:19 - Oct 30 with 3361 viewsGlasgowBlue

Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 08:16 - Oct 30 by SomethingBlue

Are you prepared to throw a minority community under the bus and install an antisemite in number 10 in order to get the Tories out? Just asking for a friend.

Iron Lion Zion

Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 08:26 - Oct 30 with 3338 viewsElderGrizzly

Jeremy ‘can’t be trusted on Brexit’ Corbyn

Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 08:27 - Oct 30 with 3331 viewsGlasgowBlue

Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 08:26 - Oct 30 by ElderGrizzly

Jeremy ‘can’t be trusted on Brexit’ Corbyn

Any remainers who are putting their faith in Jezza to stop Brexit are living in a fools paradise.

Iron Lion Zion

Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 08:32 - Oct 30 with 3296 viewsElderGrizzly

Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 08:27 - Oct 30 by GlasgowBlue

Any remainers who are putting their faith in Jezza to stop Brexit are living in a fools paradise.

I’ll give Corbyn the benefit of the doubt, as people can change their minds.

However, it is not his promise to make or keep as the members will make the decision after an election. So to say your policy is remain is slight of hand, as it simply can’t be honoured by Corbyn alone.

If Len gets his people out to vote, remain quickly turns to leave
Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 08:33 - Oct 30 with 3288 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Jackanory, jackanory.....

Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 08:36 - Oct 30 with 3281 viewsm14_blue

I don't think it's possible to overstate the damage this incarnation of the Tory party has done to our country.

They've taken a fringe issue and, for purely party political reasons, turned it into a national obsession, dividing the country possibly irreparably, turning families and friends against each other and poisoning the mood of the nation.

They are willing to damage the economy, and therefore our already hugely overstretched public services, and sacrifice the union just to gain some votes from Farage.

Corbyn is rubbish and I'm not particularly sold on Swinson either but I can't see how anyone could be worse than what we currently have.

If Putin had been war-gaming how to damage the UK's future the most in just 3 years I doubt he could have done better than this shower.
Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 08:37 - Oct 30 with 3276 viewsGaryCooper

Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 08:27 - Oct 30 by GlasgowBlue

There are many similar clips, they are ignored, it is a strange world where people vote for someone so disingenuous and stands for what they hate.

Yes Boris is equally disingenuous.
Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 08:42 - Oct 30 with 3255 viewsSomethingBlue

Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 08:19 - Oct 30 by GlasgowBlue

Are you prepared to throw a minority community under the bus and install an antisemite in number 10 in order to get the Tories out? Just asking for a friend.

It's a tough one, isn't it, given we already have an Islamophobe in number 10. Ideally neither of them, GB, but if you're asking me to choose in such binary terms I'm with what the Labour party offers by a million miles.

Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 08:42 - Oct 30 with 3251 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 08:19 - Oct 30 by GlasgowBlue

.....aaaaaand he's off....

Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 08:45 - Oct 30 with 3233 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Ahem...Grizzly and Glassers this is a Swinson thread.....just in case you missed it!

Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 08:47 - Oct 30 with 3228 viewsGaryCooper

Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 08:42 - Oct 30 by BanksterDebtSlave

.....aaaaaand he's off....

It requires non stop highlighting, the current opposition, the party that the majority on here are supporting is being investigated by the EHRC, the same party has had sitting MP's leave due to the anti-Semitism from the power makers of the party.

It should be raised continuously.
Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 08:48 - Oct 30 with 3224 viewscrunchie1978

Get over it!!! its not 1985 anymore and maggies dead!
Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 08:48 - Oct 30 with 3221 viewsSomethingBlue

Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 08:47 - Oct 30 by GaryCooper

It requires non stop highlighting, the current opposition, the party that the majority on here are supporting is being investigated by the EHRC, the same party has had sitting MP's leave due to the anti-Semitism from the power makers of the party.

It does. And so does the Conservatives' gross and dangerous institutional Islamophobia. Will it be?

Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 08:49 - Oct 30 with 3218 viewsSomethingBlue

Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 08:48 - Oct 30 by crunchie1978

Get over it!!! its not 1985 anymore and maggies dead!

Imagine voting for a party that thinks you are scum! Go for it though.

Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 08:51 - Oct 30 with 3206 viewsDarth_Koont

Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 08:47 - Oct 30 by GaryCooper

That’s the narrative. Top marks.

There is of course an entirely different way of reading it, especially when you address evidence rather than taking accusations as read.

Pronouns: He/Him

Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 08:53 - Oct 30 with 3188 viewsLankHenners

Jo 'Austerity' Swinson.... on 08:48 - Oct 30 by SomethingBlue

It does. And so does the Conservatives' gross and dangerous institutional Islamophobia. Will it be?

Starting to think that time when all the Tory candidates were on stage and agreed to investigate and root out the islamaphobia that runs wild in their party was a dream.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024