Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people 14:48 - Oct 30 with 8522 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

I've got to be honest and say 3 years ago I was perplexed by people that wanted to leave the EU because we had nowhere near enough information to make that decision in my view, but on the basis we didn't know either way what would happen, I fully respected that people had their own opinion based on this and that they were entitled to it.

What I have found the most depressing about Brexit at the moment is just how much damage it's done to my relationships with people and those of others I know. There are people I worked with for years, people I was good friends with and you only go so deep into their minds, chatting about football, TV shows, partners and so on, until this came along.

There are people now I literally avoid. I have lost all respect for them. I cannot fathom how they work. What I thought were decent people that believe without irony that we should be allowed to move to Spain but that a Romanian guy can't come over here for a better life. People that think Boris Johnson is a legend because he tells it like it is and will champion him for promising to put 30,000 police officers on the street if he's already taken 100,000 away and so on.

Anyone else had this? There are people that have proven to be so deluded, biggotted, racist or utterly clueless than have as much say as the rest of us and it's so depressing. Even people in my own family that I am just about civil with now because they have such mental views.

I don't care if someone has a different opinion and they may well know better than me if they've properly considered the same but so many people I deemed normal have come out of the last three years as completely horrible people.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:00 - Oct 30 with 3666 viewsitfcjoe

This is what the Tory party have done to this country over the last few years - this is just one of their legacies left.

The people that launched this divide strategy, and pitted people against other people as part of the Brexit debate (VoteLeave) are now our PM's strategy win.

Getting the Tories out in the upcoming election is so important for the country

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:04 - Oct 30 with 3657 viewsUB9Blue

It is fair to say that the whole Brexit situation has been very divisive and is a subject best avoided when talking to friends with different views.

What troubles me is the petty name calling and accusations made by both sides.

I voted leave on the basis that the EU has not signed off accounts for circa 26 years whereas my business is fined if I miss a deadline by an hour. My vote had nothing to do with immigration but on the financial mismanagement of funds and the absurd amount of money wasted on having two parliaments, guaranteed expenses without receipts etc etc.

Whether my view or anyone else's are made rationally or not is open to debate as we can only make assumptions on the information we have been given.

Should we have no a vote....probably not as the carnage that has ensued has turned friends and family against each other. The fact remains Cameron put the idea forward and both Labour and Lib Dem's agreed it should happen. Sadly for most politicians they didn't get the response they were expecting.
The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:11 - Oct 30 with 3622 viewsJ2BLUE

Can you not just talk about the subjects you used to talk about? While the Spain/Romania point is silly it's hardly so sickening that you can never talk to them again.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:14 - Oct 30 with 3606 viewsSpruceMoose

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:11 - Oct 30 by J2BLUE

Can you not just talk about the subjects you used to talk about? While the Spain/Romania point is silly it's hardly so sickening that you can never talk to them again.

That doesn't really help if the issue is that you now have a complete and utter lack of respect for their fundamental character.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:14 - Oct 30 with 3606 viewsNotSure

No I haven't found this at all.
As a "soft brexiteer" I can talk to hard brexiteers and avid remainers and still get on well with them.
I think the problem might be with you.
The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:17 - Oct 30 with 3589 viewsJ2BLUE

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:14 - Oct 30 by NotSure

No I haven't found this at all.
As a "soft brexiteer" I can talk to hard brexiteers and avid remainers and still get on well with them.
I think the problem might be with you.

I find the same as a soft remainer.

Truly impaired.

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:17 - Oct 30 with 3595 viewsClapham_Junction

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:04 - Oct 30 by UB9Blue

It is fair to say that the whole Brexit situation has been very divisive and is a subject best avoided when talking to friends with different views.

What troubles me is the petty name calling and accusations made by both sides.

I voted leave on the basis that the EU has not signed off accounts for circa 26 years whereas my business is fined if I miss a deadline by an hour. My vote had nothing to do with immigration but on the financial mismanagement of funds and the absurd amount of money wasted on having two parliaments, guaranteed expenses without receipts etc etc.

Whether my view or anyone else's are made rationally or not is open to debate as we can only make assumptions on the information we have been given.

Should we have no a vote....probably not as the carnage that has ensued has turned friends and family against each other. The fact remains Cameron put the idea forward and both Labour and Lib Dem's agreed it should happen. Sadly for most politicians they didn't get the response they were expecting.

The EU has had its accounts signed off every year since 2007.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36276175

You did not make your decision based on the information given, as this information was available at the time of the vote.
The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:19 - Oct 30 with 3582 viewsDarth_Koont

There's certainly a sort of insanity. Sort of tribal as if politics has become like football rivalries rather than about real stuff.

There also seems to be a desire to hold onto stories and beliefs rather than investigate and deal in facts.

Our politics and media need a reboot.

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:19 - Oct 30 with 3584 viewslowhouseblue

i can't think of another issue that has created such an emotion driven response on both sides. it has played to really deep concepts of how people see themselves. emotions have led and justifications have then followed. it plays to such gut instincts, on both sides, that dialogue has broken down and we've just ended up with name calling and contempt for anyone who disagrees.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:20 - Oct 30 with 3568 viewsSpruceMoose

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:19 - Oct 30 by lowhouseblue

i can't think of another issue that has created such an emotion driven response on both sides. it has played to really deep concepts of how people see themselves. emotions have led and justifications have then followed. it plays to such gut instincts, on both sides, that dialogue has broken down and we've just ended up with name calling and contempt for anyone who disagrees.

Indeed.

Votes at 16? by lowhouseblue 29 Oct 2019 18:08
you are a pompous twerp. you could get yourself a little whistle and red and yellow cards to wave as you sit at your desk. but i'm sure you'd have more fun if you try to provoke someone who'll rise to your shtick. [wave]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:24 - Oct 30 with 3545 viewslowhouseblue

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:20 - Oct 30 by SpruceMoose

Indeed.

Votes at 16? by lowhouseblue 29 Oct 2019 18:08
you are a pompous twerp. you could get yourself a little whistle and red and yellow cards to wave as you sit at your desk. but i'm sure you'd have more fun if you try to provoke someone who'll rise to your shtick. [wave]

i'm not sure you've quite got the idea of 'div listing' someone. i think you've muddled it up with 'stalking' someone. you promised to put me on ignore but you were only teasing

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:26 - Oct 30 with 3526 viewsJ2BLUE

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:19 - Oct 30 by lowhouseblue

You insufferable w@nker

Truly impaired.

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:27 - Oct 30 with 3525 viewsSpruceMoose

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:24 - Oct 30 by lowhouseblue

i'm not sure you've quite got the idea of 'div listing' someone. i think you've muddled it up with 'stalking' someone. you promised to put me on ignore but you were only teasing

I said I was considering it. I decided to give you another chance. I still have faith in you Lowie!

Anyway, back to your original point. You're right. Nobody can take the moral high ground here really. Maybe it was always there and Brexit has really brought it out, but everyone all round shows contempt for one another. Some of it is deserved, some of it isn't. No idea how it'll get fixed. I certainly view people, and am viewed by people, as fundamentally changed.

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:27 - Oct 30 with 3521 viewsSpruceMoose

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:26 - Oct 30 by J2BLUE

You insufferable w@nker

That's pretty mild these days.

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:30 - Oct 30 with 3492 viewslowhouseblue

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:26 - Oct 30 by J2BLUE

You insufferable w@nker

I can see where you're coming from of course, but that's not very nice.

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:33 - Oct 30 with 3481 viewshomer_123

The bigger issue is not that people have differing opinions or opinions and views others cannot see/ fathom.

People have lost the ability/ art of both listening, discussing and debating. Listening in particular is something people no longer do well. They are happy to share (shout) their views and fight for the right to share their views but are diametrically opposed to even listening (regardless of whether they agree or not) with anyone else.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:35 - Oct 30 with 3459 viewsJ2BLUE

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:30 - Oct 30 by lowhouseblue

I can see where you're coming from of course, but that's not very nice.

Truly impaired.

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:37 - Oct 30 with 3449 viewslowhouseblue

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:27 - Oct 30 by SpruceMoose

I said I was considering it. I decided to give you another chance. I still have faith in you Lowie!

Anyway, back to your original point. You're right. Nobody can take the moral high ground here really. Maybe it was always there and Brexit has really brought it out, but everyone all round shows contempt for one another. Some of it is deserved, some of it isn't. No idea how it'll get fixed. I certainly view people, and am viewed by people, as fundamentally changed.

the combination of the brexit debate and farce that has beset the labour party has completely changed my view of the political process (note the process not the outcomes i would like to see). i now see dishonesty, weasel words and agenda driven spin everywhere I look. i've stopped believing anything that has been confirmed by at least 2 sources who hold diametrically opposed views . it's all very depressing at present.

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:50 - Oct 30 with 3402 viewsDarth_Koont

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:37 - Oct 30 by lowhouseblue

the combination of the brexit debate and farce that has beset the labour party has completely changed my view of the political process (note the process not the outcomes i would like to see). i now see dishonesty, weasel words and agenda driven spin everywhere I look. i've stopped believing anything that has been confirmed by at least 2 sources who hold diametrically opposed views . it's all very depressing at present.

Wow!

So now you see the light after being the worst sort of shallow political spinner who ushered in this game-playing nonsense and has been spinning it for the past 4 or 5 years. Or is this just your next level of posturing?

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:59 - Oct 30 with 3375 viewsN2_Blue

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:00 - Oct 30 by itfcjoe

This is what the Tory party have done to this country over the last few years - this is just one of their legacies left.

The people that launched this divide strategy, and pitted people against other people as part of the Brexit debate (VoteLeave) are now our PM's strategy win.

It staggers me how many low income people who complain about services, pay etc continually vote conservative. (i'm basing this on people i know or who i come across in day to day life that tell me what their political persuasion is).
I understand the middle and upper classes that vote from a more selfish point of view and vote tory, and that is their prerogative and i have nothing against that although i don't agree as i would rather pay more taxes if i can afford it. But for those that don't seem to understand what they are doing by voting conservative, especially current Tory governments and how austerity hurts them more than the average man on the street I just don't get it.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 16:11 - Oct 30 with 3330 viewslowhouseblue

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:50 - Oct 30 by Darth_Koont

Wow!

So now you see the light after being the worst sort of shallow political spinner who ushered in this game-playing nonsense and has been spinning it for the past 4 or 5 years. Or is this just your next level of posturing?

oh, do go away. there must be some extremist nutter somewhere that you could be excusing.

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 16:15 - Oct 30 with 3307 viewsDarth_Koont

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 16:11 - Oct 30 by lowhouseblue

oh, do go away. there must be some extremist nutter somewhere that you could be excusing.

Well, Glassers isn't my cup of tea. And neither are your Brexiteer nutjobs.

But apart from that, I don't excuse extremism.

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 16:18 - Oct 30 with 3298 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:14 - Oct 30 by SpruceMoose

That doesn't really help if the issue is that you now have a complete and utter lack of respect for their fundamental character.

And it’s that exact attitude that is causing said divide

All that said I think social media is the bigger cause rather than just Brexit or a particular political party, the foundations were already in place long before the referendum was even a thing

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 16:20 - Oct 30 with 3287 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:00 - Oct 30 by itfcjoe

They’ve played on it without doubt but removing the Tories from power won’t change things - other parties are just as bad (see Labour ‘red Tories’ or all Tories are evil type comments) and social media will continue to fuel the cycle, unfortunately

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 16:21 - Oct 30 with 3283 viewsitfcjoe

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:59 - Oct 30 by N2_Blue

It staggers me how many low income people who complain about services, pay etc continually vote conservative. (i'm basing this on people i know or who i come across in day to day life that tell me what their political persuasion is).
I understand the middle and upper classes that vote from a more selfish point of view and vote tory, and that is their prerogative and i have nothing against that although i don't agree as i would rather pay more taxes if i can afford it. But for those that don't seem to understand what they are doing by voting conservative, especially current Tory governments and how austerity hurts them more than the average man on the street I just don't get it.

I was reading some Twitter comments the other day and it was about how Jeff Bezos has so much money, that had you been given $5k a day since dinosaurs walked on the earth you still wouldn't have as much as him etc - but yet Amazon has terrible working conditions (someone had died in a warehouse, amongst a whole host of other issues) and pay next to no tax.

People were even defending that, saying that he deserves it as a wealth creator, and that they'd rather him have it than they Government as all the Govt would do would be to waste it etc whereas he can give more people jobs etc.

It's mental, you get it here with the class system - so many people are so enthralled by the upper class that they get trodden on.

My Father in Law probably votes Tory, is a simple gardner, will work until he drops dead and rates that are too low for his skill level and experience but doesn't dare put up his prices so works every hour he can and sleeps all day Sunday......but he worships his clients who in some cases are multi, multi-millionaires and just talks about them all the time like they are his friends rather than his customers. One did leave him £20k in their will in fairness, but now he won't spend it because it is her money and it will sit there forever because he is so in awe of anyone with a bit of money.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024