Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I do think javid comes accross poorly; 10:29 - Oct 31 with 1510 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Lazy, class stereotyping of Grant, and disregards his concerns;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50246099
[Post edited 31 Oct 2019 10:42]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

I dont think javid comes accross poorly; on 10:38 - Oct 31 with 1484 viewsSomethingBlue

"I wonder if people like Hugh Grant think they are part of the elite and they look down on working class people no matter what station they reach in life."

Clearly nothing to do with Grant's issue but Javid is a player to the gallery par excellence, it's like breathing to him.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

I dont think javid comes accross poorly; on 10:41 - Oct 31 with 1469 viewsfooters

I dont think javid comes accross poorly; on 10:38 - Oct 31 by SomethingBlue

"I wonder if people like Hugh Grant think they are part of the elite and they look down on working class people no matter what station they reach in life."

Clearly nothing to do with Grant's issue but Javid is a player to the gallery par excellence, it's like breathing to him.

I was wondering about that. Is the Chancellor actually referring to himself as working class?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

I do think javid comes accross poorly; on 13:37 - Oct 31 with 1315 viewstractordownsouth

Javid is an utter scumbag for his awful playing to the gallery in the Shamima Begum case.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

I do think javid comes accross poorly; on 13:40 - Oct 31 with 1300 viewsSpruceMoose

I'm glad you edited the title!

Javid is yet another flaccid empty suit. Vote them out people!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

I do think javid comes accross poorly; on 13:46 - Oct 31 with 1288 viewsBlueBadger

I do think javid comes accross poorly; on 13:37 - Oct 31 by tractordownsouth

Javid is an utter scumbag for his awful playing to the gallery in the Shamima Begum case.

And for being a Tory.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I do think javid comes accross poorly; on 13:53 - Oct 31 with 1269 viewsJ2BLUE

Ha. Way to make yourself sound like a right knob Javid.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I do think javid comes accross poorly; on 13:56 - Oct 31 with 1252 viewsfooters

I do think javid comes accross poorly; on 13:53 - Oct 31 by J2BLUE

He probably blames the press that his phone was hacked too. Typical elitist attitude.

I do think javid comes accross poorly; on 14:03 - Oct 31 with 1229 viewsfactual_blue

I do think javid comes accross poorly; on 13:53 - Oct 31 by J2BLUE

He should have said to javid 'I'm not shaking your hand coconut.'

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

I do think javid comes accross poorly; on 14:11 - Oct 31 with 1199 viewsSpruceMoose

I do think javid comes accross poorly; on 13:56 - Oct 31 by footers

He probably blames the press that his phone was hacked too. Typical elitist attitude.

That Milly Dowler was a right snob too.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

I dont think javid comes accross poorly; on 14:41 - Oct 31 with 1165 viewsGuthrum

I dont think javid comes accross poorly; on 10:41 - Oct 31 by footers

I was wondering about that. Is the Chancellor actually referring to himself as working class?

What is "working class" nowadays?

Is it based on your background, your parents' occupation, the area you grew up in? Or your present employment (if so, what, given there are no mines and little large scale heavy industry any more), your level of income, waged/salaried/self-employed? Professional/skilled/unskilled? Education level? Area you live in now? Accent, regional origin? What?

It seems to be more an (often inherited) attitude than anything else. Or a much used political slogan which means whatever is convenient to the speaker at the time. But also a dearly-beloved in-group label for people who feel themselves socially and/or economically disadvantaged (or feel they have been on the way to success).

As with so much of our political terminology, it is outdated, ill-defined and, at best, obsolescent. And it risks masking a lot of issues which ought to be tackled, such as poverty, areas of high unemployment or low wages, social barriers, economic privilege.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I do think javid comes accross poorly; on 14:42 - Oct 31 with 1163 viewsFtnfwest

I do think javid comes accross poorly; on 13:37 - Oct 31 by tractordownsouth

Humbug
I dont think javid comes accross poorly; on 14:47 - Oct 31 with 1158 viewsfooters

I dont think javid comes accross poorly; on 14:41 - Oct 31 by Guthrum

What is "working class" nowadays?

Is it based on your background, your parents' occupation, the area you grew up in? Or your present employment (if so, what, given there are no mines and little large scale heavy industry any more), your level of income, waged/salaried/self-employed? Professional/skilled/unskilled? Education level? Area you live in now? Accent, regional origin? What?

It seems to be more an (often inherited) attitude than anything else. Or a much used political slogan which means whatever is convenient to the speaker at the time. But also a dearly-beloved in-group label for people who feel themselves socially and/or economically disadvantaged (or feel they have been on the way to success).

As with so much of our political terminology, it is outdated, ill-defined and, at best, obsolescent. And it risks masking a lot of issues which ought to be tackled, such as poverty, areas of high unemployment or low wages, social barriers, economic privilege.

I don't think you can count your childhood as evidence of working-classness.

Aren't definitions used (as in the A1, B2, etc model) based on current employment and education?

I suppose working class now would be defined as unskilled labour, secondary education. But of course there are now more nuanced approaches to the subject with studies like this one... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22007058

I grew up in a very working class family and town but wouldn't call myself working class by any stretch now. For the Chancellor to do so just seemed odd.

I dont think javid comes accross poorly; on 15:06 - Oct 31 with 1125 viewsGuthrum

I dont think javid comes accross poorly; on 14:47 - Oct 31 by footers

I don't think you can count your childhood as evidence of working-classness.

Aren't definitions used (as in the A1, B2, etc model) based on current employment and education?

I suppose working class now would be defined as unskilled labour, secondary education. But of course there are now more nuanced approaches to the subject with studies like this one... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22007058

I grew up in a very working class family and town but wouldn't call myself working class by any stretch now. For the Chancellor to do so just seemed odd.

Indeed, altho a lot of people seem to.

I'm not sure that even unskilled workers are a "class" in the way industrial labourers were in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Sectors like shop work are so fragmented that it is virtually impossible to unionise (strike action doesn't work as it might only be a very small employer at the centre of the dispute). It is much less common to have virtually an entire community working for a single employer.

With automation, many industrial workers now have to be skilled, to operate the machinery. A very large portion of the working population do office-based service jobs.

The proper definitions you mention - rather than far too broad terms like "working class" - are much more useful.

I grew up in a middle-class environment, reasonably well educated, do a manual job, but am self-employed. No idea what that makes me!

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I do think javid comes accross poorly; on 15:14 - Oct 31 with 1101 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Par for the Tory course.

Not only did Grant not want to shake the hand of a man who he believes didn't take his role seriously, even suggesting he was almost mocking, in a matter that Grant felt was very important, Grant reportedly said 'I hope you don't mind but I'm not going to shake your hand'.

Grant could have justifiably ignored him or told him to f*** off, but instead he almost apologised for not doing so.

Yet Javid has tried to make out Grant is a horrible person for not shaking his hand.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024