Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Agog 09:55 - Nov 1 with 3822 viewsartsbossbeard

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/30/food-banks-childrens-books

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Agog on 10:01 - Nov 1 with 2932 viewschicoazul

Friends I meant to say, your local Trussell Trust foodbank will accept loose sweets, candies, chocolate, crisps etc as long as they are wrapped and untouched. So if your kids have bundles of sweets and stuff after last night, do a good thing and take them to your local Trussell Trust (I dont know if other foodbanks take them but they definitely do).

https://www.trusselltrust.org/

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Agog on 10:04 - Nov 1 with 2928 viewsartsbossbeard

Agog on 10:01 - Nov 1 by chicoazul

Friends I meant to say, your local Trussell Trust foodbank will accept loose sweets, candies, chocolate, crisps etc as long as they are wrapped and untouched. So if your kids have bundles of sweets and stuff after last night, do a good thing and take them to your local Trussell Trust (I dont know if other foodbanks take them but they definitely do).

https://www.trusselltrust.org/

Quick plug also for my new favourite band who have released a new single with all profits going to 2 x Manchester based homeless charities.

http://www.godisinthetvzine.co.uk/2019/10/30/news-w-h-lung-release-new-single-sy

Homelessness up 170%
Food bank usage up 1000%

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Agog on 10:10 - Nov 1 with 2898 viewsitfcjoe

It's so sad to read, but plenty will put their head in the sand and deny there is an issue.

It's everywhere if you want to look for it

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Agog on 10:11 - Nov 1 with 2887 viewsfooters

Johnson: "Food banks are fantastic."

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Agog on 10:11 - Nov 1 with 2884 viewschicoazul

Agog on 10:04 - Nov 1 by artsbossbeard

Quick plug also for my new favourite band who have released a new single with all profits going to 2 x Manchester based homeless charities.

http://www.godisinthetvzine.co.uk/2019/10/30/news-w-h-lung-release-new-single-sy

Homelessness up 170%
Food bank usage up 1000%

Dreadful statistics. A vote for 2019 Toryism is a vote for foodbanks austerity and homelessness, and I am no fan of the Maximum Leader & would worry about who came after him but he is vastly preferable.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2019 10:12]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Agog on 10:26 - Nov 1 with 2843 viewsHerbivore

This is the reason that nobody with a semblance of social conscience can possibly vote Tory in the upcoming election.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Agog on 10:26 - Nov 1 with 2842 viewsartsbossbeard

Agog on 10:26 - Nov 1 by Herbivore

This is the reason that nobody with a semblance of social conscience can possibly vote Tory in the upcoming election.

See also, this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MidYorkshireNHS/status/1189490439482679296

Agog on 10:26 - Nov 1 with 2843 viewsNotSure

Homelessness up 170%
Food bank usage up 1000%

Homelessness up 170%
Food bank usage up 1000%

Can you explain these statistics please. They are meaningless without a timeframe. Not doubting them, I just want to understand them.
Login to get fewer ads

Agog on 10:27 - Nov 1 with 2833 viewsartsbossbeard

Agog on 10:26 - Nov 1 by NotSure

Homelessness up 170%
Food bank usage up 1000%

Can you explain these statistics please. They are meaningless without a timeframe. Not doubting them, I just want to understand them.

in the 9yrs of tory governing.

Agog on 10:34 - Nov 1 with 2798 viewsHerbivore

Agog on 10:26 - Nov 1 by artsbossbeard

See also, this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MidYorkshireNHS/status/1189490439482679296

Brexit is only going to make things worse in terms of the NHS. We don't train enough nurses, midwives, docs etc. to meet demand.

Agog on 10:36 - Nov 1 with 2794 viewsNotSure

Agog on 10:27 - Nov 1 by artsbossbeard

in the 9yrs of tory governing.

Thanks and now could you let me know the source.
The ONS reports a rise in rough sleeping of 94% from 2010.
Also what is your definition of homelessness? Does temporary accommodation count?

What I'm getting at is your statistics (which I'm sure will be all over social media in the next 6 weeks) are meaningless without timeframes, sources and definitions.
Agog on 10:38 - Nov 1 with 2781 viewsFixed_It

So very, very sad that this is what our society has been allowed to become. If nothing else makes people think twice about voting in the Tories for a further term then this should.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Agog on 10:41 - Nov 1 with 2765 viewsFixed_It

Agog on 10:34 - Nov 1 by Herbivore

Brexit is only going to make things worse in terms of the NHS. We don't train enough nurses, midwives, docs etc. to meet demand.

'They come over here taking our jobs...'

Or something like that.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2019 10:41]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Agog on 10:41 - Nov 1 with 2768 viewsitfcjoe

The midwife who we were with for both our children was retiring after our 2nd, the job has changed so much according to her.

This is all anecdotal but she said how they would be deliberately understaffed at hospitals as the community ones were on call for 'emergencies', but every time you were on call there was an emergency because there was just normally one in at the hospital. So they always had to go in.

And when they went in, they earned something like £30 to cover a night shift, and were still expected to do all their normal duties and jobs the next day.

I'm currently reading This Is Going To Hurt, how we have got to a position where our Dr's Nurse's etc are being blamed for things is beyond me - it is the most selfless profession and generally done by very capable people who could be earning much more elsewhere to also illustrate their selflessness

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Agog on 10:45 - Nov 1 with 2748 viewsartsbossbeard

Agog on 10:36 - Nov 1 by NotSure

Thanks and now could you let me know the source.
The ONS reports a rise in rough sleeping of 94% from 2010.
Also what is your definition of homelessness? Does temporary accommodation count?

What I'm getting at is your statistics (which I'm sure will be all over social media in the next 6 weeks) are meaningless without timeframes, sources and definitions.

Christ on a bike.

My source would be a communication from Labour HQ, which I'll gladly accept will look to highlight matters in the worst possible light and I'll further accept that the % figures are therefore subject to interpretation. Nature of the political beast.

I've no idea how homeless/temporary accommodation stacks up.

In regard to food bank usage, there's been an additional 70% surge in the last 5 yrs which tallies with the introduction of austerity measures & universal credits. I'm sorry but I don't know the % of who wanted breakfast cereal or jam.

Edit: A quick google search brings up this and notes that there are many, many independent food banks in operation, so the % increase is difficult to gauge but if you read the story, I'm guessing we can go for "a lot".

https://www.thecanary.co/uk/news/2019/04/25/latest-trussell-trust-figures-show-u

Shameful stuff from a developed nation.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2019 10:54]

Agog on 10:54 - Nov 1 with 2695 viewsNotSure

Agog on 10:45 - Nov 1 by artsbossbeard

Christ on a bike.

My source would be a communication from Labour HQ, which I'll gladly accept will look to highlight matters in the worst possible light and I'll further accept that the % figures are therefore subject to interpretation. Nature of the political beast.

I've no idea how homeless/temporary accommodation stacks up.

In regard to food bank usage, there's been an additional 70% surge in the last 5 yrs which tallies with the introduction of austerity measures & universal credits. I'm sorry but I don't know the % of who wanted breakfast cereal or jam.

Edit: A quick google search brings up this and notes that there are many, many independent food banks in operation, so the % increase is difficult to gauge but if you read the story, I'm guessing we can go for "a lot".

https://www.thecanary.co/uk/news/2019/04/25/latest-trussell-trust-figures-show-u

Shameful stuff from a developed nation.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2019 10:54]

No worries, I'm a statistics geek and it's going to wind me up the nonsense numbers that all parties will use to fit their argument.

£350m, 40 new hospitals, continuously announcing money that's already been announced! I hate it!

The problem I have with your above 2 numbers is that they are undoubtedly both high and embarrassing for this government. So nail them down, do some research and get them right.
Agog on 11:19 - Nov 1 with 2643 viewsHerbivore

Agog on 10:54 - Nov 1 by NotSure

No worries, I'm a statistics geek and it's going to wind me up the nonsense numbers that all parties will use to fit their argument.

£350m, 40 new hospitals, continuously announcing money that's already been announced! I hate it!

The problem I have with your above 2 numbers is that they are undoubtedly both high and embarrassing for this government. So nail them down, do some research and get them right.

What you're doing is deliberately obfuscating rather than addressing the issue of substance, which is a massive rise in child poverty, food bank usage, and homelessness under the past 9 years of Tory government. If being a pedant about whether things have got worse by 90% or 170% or whatever helps you feel better about it then good for you, but I worry for your conscience.

Agog on 11:30 - Nov 1 with 2626 viewsDubtractor

Homelessness up 170%
Food bank usage up 1000%

Without clicking on the link I know that's wh lung. Played it on the radio last night and gave a plug to the charity benefits.

Re the theme of the thread, it is a disgusting state of affairs for this country.

Following the theme if that other thread, I for one will gladly pay a bit more tax to ensure that fewer people are left behind.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Agog on 11:32 - Nov 1 with 2621 viewsNotSure

Agog on 11:19 - Nov 1 by Herbivore

What you're doing is deliberately obfuscating rather than addressing the issue of substance, which is a massive rise in child poverty, food bank usage, and homelessness under the past 9 years of Tory government. If being a pedant about whether things have got worse by 90% or 170% or whatever helps you feel better about it then good for you, but I worry for your conscience.

It's got nothing to do with conscience and everything to do with getting facts correct.
Obviously universal credit is having a massive impact on food bank use.
But just just because you know something is terrible, it doesn't mean you can quote statistics that are absolutely meaningless.
Agog on 12:05 - Nov 1 with 2549 viewsHerbivore

Agog on 11:32 - Nov 1 by NotSure

It's got nothing to do with conscience and everything to do with getting facts correct.
Obviously universal credit is having a massive impact on food bank use.
But just just because you know something is terrible, it doesn't mean you can quote statistics that are absolutely meaningless.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Agog on 13:29 - Nov 1 with 2487 viewsfactual_blue

Agog on 10:26 - Nov 1 by Herbivore

..or indeed any election.

Still, it's good of them to remind people what life at the time of Victorian values was.

TB, cholera or dysentery anybody?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Agog on 16:15 - Nov 1 with 2418 viewsjeera

Agog on 10:38 - Nov 1 by Fixed_It

So very, very sad that this is what our society has been allowed to become. If nothing else makes people think twice about voting in the Tories for a further term then this should.

I have spent time today making several calls to dentists trying to locate one that deals with NHS patients but alas, have found none.

One advised me if you don't like the situation, do everyone a favour and do not vote Conservative.

Not like I was about to, but nonetheless.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Agog on 21:05 - Nov 1 with 2314 viewsBlueBadger

It's already happening. Recruitment of EU nurses is essentially at zero(and has been since 2017) and applications to study nursing in this country are dropping.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2019 22:19]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Agog on 21:24 - Nov 1 with 2284 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Agog on 10:10 - Nov 1 by itfcjoe

It's so sad to read, but plenty will put their head in the sand and deny there is an issue.

It's everywhere if you want to look for it

Not even if you want to look for it.

You would have to actively deliberately avoid seeing it unless you never go out even to relatively small towns.

How can such a large proportion of the electorate think it is OK or unavoidable?

It reminds me of the thread sleepwalking into Fascism. Something I have been thinking for some considerable time. I know plenty of decent people who are Tory voters because they just don't see what is right in front of their face. Not deliberately putting their heads in the sand as much as falling for the media line that these people don't help themselves.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Agog on 21:43 - Nov 1 with 2265 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Agog on 21:05 - Nov 1 by BlueBadger

It's already happening. Recruitment of EU nurses is essentially at zero(and has been since 2017) and applications to study nursing in this country are dropping.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2019 22:19]

A friend recently in for an op said that the standard of staffing since he was in about 10 years ago had deteriorated massively which he put down to wards being staffed by health care professionals on zero hour contracts. Is this accurate?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024