Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Farage on the attack? 13:03 - Nov 1 with 4265 viewsDarth_Koont

According to him Boris's deal would apparently be "the end of Brexit"!?? And they'll put up candidates in every seat on the UK mainland !??

Must admit I thought the Brexit Party wouldn't go against the Tories and certainly not weaken their vote in any marginals. By splitting the vote, this would also seem to signal the end of any serious pro-Brexit force in the HoC making Brexit even more unlikely.

Is this the opening shot in a negotiation or is it for real? Of course, the more he goes for it, the better it is for his own personal brand and maybe he likes that more than any remote chance of power where he could be found out and blamed in any case.

Pronouns: He/Him

Farage on the attack? on 13:08 - Nov 1 with 3348 viewsNotSure

Got to agree with Mr Rifkind on this ...

Farage on the attack? on 13:11 - Nov 1 with 3328 viewsDarth_Koont

Farage on the attack? on 13:08 - Nov 1 by NotSure

Indeed. Him and the ERG anyway.

It's almost as if a Brexit that isn't on their own disaster capitalist terms isn't Brexit after all.

Farage on the attack? on 13:17 - Nov 1 with 3294 viewsNotSure

Farage on the attack? on 13:11 - Nov 1 by Darth_Koont

Indeed. Him and the ERG anyway.

It's almost as if a Brexit that isn't on their own disaster capitalist terms isn't Brexit after all.

Once we voted for Brexit in 2016 Farage realised that he was basically redundant.
So despite talking up Norway and Switzerland during the campaign he then comes back and says only a hard Brexit is acceptable.

I honestly believe he doesn't want Brexit to happen
Farage on the attack? on 13:21 - Nov 1 with 3269 viewsFootballpete

Farage on the attack? on 13:17 - Nov 1 by NotSure

Once we voted for Brexit in 2016 Farage realised that he was basically redundant.
So despite talking up Norway and Switzerland during the campaign he then comes back and says only a hard Brexit is acceptable.

Brexit not happening keeps him in the spotlight, which let's be honest is all he actually cares about.

Poll: Which Top Gear presenter is the biggest dickhead?

Farage on the attack? on 13:21 - Nov 1 with 3265 viewsDarth_Koont

Farage on the attack? on 13:17 - Nov 1 by NotSure

Agreed.

It's almost as if his job is just to disrupt the UK to feed his own populism and career. And possibly give his backers a frisson of power and profile for a lot less money than buying a Premier League club.

Farage on the attack? on 13:52 - Nov 1 with 3191 viewsDarth_Koont

Update:

So seems like it's more of the opening salvo in a negotiation after all. But if it is about building an electoral pact with the Brexit Party then that seems a good way of convincing wavering Conservative voters towards the middle to jump ship.

And certainly shows the Remainers what they're up against and why there must be some unity. It's not just about Brexit — the right will take us and them ever further into this neoliberal, populist sh!tshow.

A Conservative government with the stank of the Brexit Party over it must be avoided at all costs. Even petty party political ones.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2019 13:54]

Farage on the attack? on 13:55 - Nov 1 with 3168 viewsMullet

Farage on the attack? on 13:52 - Nov 1 by Darth_Koont

Update:

So seems like it's more of the opening salvo in a negotiation after all. But if it is about building an electoral pact with the Brexit Party then that seems a good way of convincing wavering Conservative voters towards the middle to jump ship.

And certainly shows the Remainers what they're up against and why there must be some unity. It's not just about Brexit — the right will take us and them ever further into this neoliberal, populist sh!tshow.

A Conservative government with the stank of the Brexit Party over it must be avoided at all costs. Even petty party political ones.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2019 13:54]

I said similar earlier in the week.

He's got a big bill coming and has seen that the DUP were paid off and he will deem himself deserving of even more cash. As his "party" is essentially another front for him, it'll go into his pocket before anywhere else.

All he's making sure of is however much he loses publicly, he gains more elsewhere in spades.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Farage on the attack? on 13:57 - Nov 1 with 3144 viewsHerbivore

He knows a formal pact is impossible, if he weakens his red lines and WTO Brexit position then he loses his only point of difference from Johnson. Johnson knows he can't abandon his deal and go down Farage's path. What will happen is the Brexit Party will field candidates but without much support or enthusiasm in Tory voting areas and they'll focus their efforts on Labour seats. It'll be an informal attempt to help the Tories rather than a formal alliance. They're at around 10% and falling in the polls anyway, Farage is just desperately trying to stay relevant.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2019 14:22]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Farage on the attack? on 14:00 - Nov 1 with 3127 viewshomer_123

Not that polls are anything that can, nowadays, be relied upon.

But it's mightily scary that places that have been traditional Labour heartlands (Middlesboro for example) are seeing large numbers of people voting Conservative for the first time.

Genuinely worrying that we could end up with BoJo in place with a majority. I'd argue him continuing as PM is even worse than any Brexit.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Farage on the attack? on 14:01 - Nov 1 with 3118 viewschicoazul

Farage on the attack? on 13:08 - Nov 1 by NotSure

You need to remember that Nigel has no reason to exist once Brexit happens and makes a very nice living out of agitating about it. It's not in his interests for it to happen.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Farage on the attack? on 14:06 - Nov 1 with 3096 viewsJ2BLUE

I'm not convinced he even wants Brexit now. If he could make it all go away while looking like he was fighting for the people I think he'd happily take it. He could then go to America, attend Trump rallies, go on Fox and make his living being mates with the president.

Brexit probably doesn't feel as exciting now.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Farage on the attack? on 14:26 - Nov 1 with 3051 viewsEireannach_gorm

Farage on the attack? on 14:06 - Nov 1 by J2BLUE

I'm not convinced he even wants Brexit now. If he could make it all go away while looking like he was fighting for the people I think he'd happily take it. He could then go to America, attend Trump rallies, go on Fox and make his living being mates with the president.

Brexit probably doesn't feel as exciting now.

He's done the interview for it already.

Farage on the attack? on 14:31 - Nov 1 with 3043 viewsvilanovablue

Farage on the attack? on 14:00 - Nov 1 by homer_123

Not that polls are anything that can, nowadays, be relied upon.

But it's mightily scary that places that have been traditional Labour heartlands (Middlesboro for example) are seeing large numbers of people voting Conservative for the first time.

Genuinely worrying that we could end up with BoJo in place with a majority. I'd argue him continuing as PM is even worse than any Brexit.

"People seem to be forgetting there are a lot less Labour Leave votes in Labour Leave seats now than in 2016 because a lot of them switched to Cons in 2017. So BXP candidates in Lab Leave seats will usually take more votes from Cons (mostly Leave) than Lab (mostly Remain)" quote from Rob Ford who has written on the subject previously of UKIP and similar logic I suspect applies to the Brexit Party now...
Farage on the attack? on 14:34 - Nov 1 with 3031 viewsgiant_stow

Nice to see Brexiters arguing amongst themselves for a change - apparently Fafckface called it a 'surrender deal' - arf!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Farage on the attack? on 14:36 - Nov 1 with 3027 viewsitfcjoe

Farage on the attack? on 14:31 - Nov 1 by vilanovablue

"People seem to be forgetting there are a lot less Labour Leave votes in Labour Leave seats now than in 2016 because a lot of them switched to Cons in 2017. So BXP candidates in Lab Leave seats will usually take more votes from Cons (mostly Leave) than Lab (mostly Remain)" quote from Rob Ford who has written on the subject previously of UKIP and similar logic I suspect applies to the Brexit Party now...

Anecdotally a lot of Labour MPs say when they are on the doorstep that these rabid Leavers haven't been voting for them in last couple of elections anyway - it's just whether that view has gone more mainstream.

I'd love the Tories to fall flat on their faces, I just don't see where their majority comes from when you take into account they (before the Whip removed etc) didn't have a majority, have potentially lost the DUP, and will likely lose 20 seats across Scotland and remain areas.

Where are the 50(?) gains they need going to come from?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Farage on the attack? on 14:42 - Nov 1 with 2992 viewsNotSure

Farage on the attack? on 14:36 - Nov 1 by itfcjoe

Anecdotally a lot of Labour MPs say when they are on the doorstep that these rabid Leavers haven't been voting for them in last couple of elections anyway - it's just whether that view has gone more mainstream.

I'd love the Tories to fall flat on their faces, I just don't see where their majority comes from when you take into account they (before the Whip removed etc) didn't have a majority, have potentially lost the DUP, and will likely lose 20 seats across Scotland and remain areas.

Where are the 50(?) gains they need going to come from?

The gains will come from the Lib Dems taking votes from Labour.
Remember in 2017 Labour were seen as the remain party and got 40% of the vote.

It really is time for some form of proportional representation.
Farage on the attack? on 14:44 - Nov 1 with 2984 viewsitfcjoe

Farage on the attack? on 14:42 - Nov 1 by NotSure

But 40-50 seats? I just don't see there being loads of constituencies where the Tories get in with 30-40% of the vote because Labour and LDs have split the other 60%

I think when push comes to shove, people will vote tactically to remove the Tories

Farage on the attack? on 14:46 - Nov 1 with 2970 viewshomer_123

Farage on the attack? on 14:44 - Nov 1 by itfcjoe

But 40-50 seats? I just don't see there being loads of constituencies where the Tories get in with 30-40% of the vote because Labour and LDs have split the other 60%

I think when push comes to shove, people will vote tactically to remove the Tories

You'd hope so Joe but in this day and age, I'm not so sure.

Quite a few people appear to also be thinking of not voting at all - turnout could be very low.

Farage on the attack? on 14:49 - Nov 1 with 2960 viewsitfcjoe

Farage on the attack? on 14:46 - Nov 1 by homer_123

You'd hope so Joe but in this day and age, I'm not so sure.

Quite a few people appear to also be thinking of not voting at all - turnout could be very low.

Isn't that likely to effect all parties relatively equally?

But the 2 main parties are good at getting bodies on the ground and getting people out to vote when it matters

Farage on the attack? on 14:50 - Nov 1 with 2958 viewsStokieBlue

Farage on the attack? on 14:44 - Nov 1 by itfcjoe

I think there is a decent percentage of the population who won't vote tactically either because they have always voted a certain way or because they don't have the means or the will to investigate the possibility.

I don't believe this forum is representative on the point of tactical voting. It will happen in some cases but I am not sure it's going to be a nationwide campaign.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Farage on the attack? on 14:54 - Nov 1 with 2934 viewshomer_123

Farage on the attack? on 14:49 - Nov 1 by itfcjoe

Isn't that likely to effect all parties relatively equally?

But the 2 main parties are good at getting bodies on the ground and getting people out to vote when it matters

Potentially not - it appears those that have traditionally voted Labour in a GE but have voted to leave the EU are possibly going to vote for the Tories or not vote in the GE at all, they appear quite dejected with Corbyn and/ or Labours lack of stance on how it would pitch leaving the EU if they had a 2nd ref.

Farage on the attack? on 15:04 - Nov 1 with 2885 viewsAndrew4445

It's almost as if there are lots of variations of 'Brexit' and even those in favour of Brexit cannot agree what it means. If only there were some way of checking with 'the people' exactly what their will was when they voted. Hey ho, just have to crash on I suppose.
Farage on the attack? on 15:11 - Nov 1 with 2856 viewshomer_123

Farage on the attack? on 15:04 - Nov 1 by Andrew4445

It's almost as if there are lots of variations of 'Brexit' and even those in favour of Brexit cannot agree what it means. If only there were some way of checking with 'the people' exactly what their will was when they voted. Hey ho, just have to crash on I suppose.

Labour is the only party, as I understand it, offering a 2nd ref.

Lib Dems plan to revoke Article 50 entirely and the Tories are carrying on regardless.

Farage on the attack? on 15:12 - Nov 1 with 2852 viewsKievthegreat

Farage on the attack? on 14:42 - Nov 1 by NotSure

Lab voters going Lib Dems still hurts the Tories. The reason they did so well in 2015 was 2010 Lib Dem voters going labour and letting in Tories. 2019 could see a reversal in many places.
Farage on the attack? on 15:13 - Nov 1 with 2848 viewsDarth_Koont

Farage on the attack? on 14:54 - Nov 1 by homer_123

Potentially not - it appears those that have traditionally voted Labour in a GE but have voted to leave the EU are possibly going to vote for the Tories or not vote in the GE at all, they appear quite dejected with Corbyn and/ or Labours lack of stance on how it would pitch leaving the EU if they had a 2nd ref.

Don't we have to see what a non-Tory government and non-Hard Brexit looks like first? They've been playing to their own MPs, members and hardcore loons so much that we've not even seen a reasonable and practical Brexit deal yet.

Kenneth Clarke's customs union deal would have been a consensus deal that might even have a chance of healing this silly binary and extreme positions people have got themselves into. Ignoring the divisions or rather taking one of these extremes isn't going to solve anything. A second referendum between a more workable, sensible Brexit and remain seems as good a way as any back from the political brink and the catastrophic Brexit we were being told was the only one in town.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024