Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning 18:28 - Nov 1 with 5261 viewsIllinoisblue

Spoke to Marcus and he’s been brilliant about it. I think everybody agrees it wasn’t good enough. A lot of work, not just building a team, building a club again. When first came in I went ‘Jesus!’. Was a bomb site, horrendous.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 18:35 - Nov 1 with 4192 viewsHipsterectomy

I've said before, but Roy Keane and Mick McCarthy I always imagined as having high standards. Keane came to us from Sunderland in the Prem, McCarthy had been at Sunderland and Wolves before in the Prem. They can't have been that bad.

Someone needs to go back through all the welcoming new signing interviews and pinpoint when they stop mentioning the training facilities.

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 18:37 - Nov 1 with 4184 viewsjeera

just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 18:35 - Nov 1 by Hipsterectomy

I've said before, but Roy Keane and Mick McCarthy I always imagined as having high standards. Keane came to us from Sunderland in the Prem, McCarthy had been at Sunderland and Wolves before in the Prem. They can't have been that bad.

Someone needs to go back through all the welcoming new signing interviews and pinpoint when they stop mentioning the training facilities.

Although wasn't one o the first things Keane did at the training ground when he arrived was to have a new office built/modified or similar for himself?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 18:48 - Nov 1 with 4129 viewsWD19

In terms of the specifics, the lack of blue paint and club badges seems to have been some of the major things holding back our training performance.
just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 19:09 - Nov 1 with 4089 viewsGarv

Without ever having been to the training ground myself, I can imagine it being a lower standard than a lot of clubs in the Championship.

Mick liked being in charge of plucky litte Ipswich, beating the big boys he was expected to lose against. I doubt he bothered that much in regards to what the training ground was like.

I can imagine Keane was the opposite, and he did make changes when he came in (exactly what I'm sure someone else would know) Hurst, similar to Keane, also said he would change many things at the club if he could. Probably not many people took notice of him when he said that, but they will now Lambert has said it.

Shame on Evans.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 19:34 - Nov 1 with 4029 viewsFixed_It

just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 19:09 - Nov 1 by Garv

Without ever having been to the training ground myself, I can imagine it being a lower standard than a lot of clubs in the Championship.

Mick liked being in charge of plucky litte Ipswich, beating the big boys he was expected to lose against. I doubt he bothered that much in regards to what the training ground was like.

I can imagine Keane was the opposite, and he did make changes when he came in (exactly what I'm sure someone else would know) Hurst, similar to Keane, also said he would change many things at the club if he could. Probably not many people took notice of him when he said that, but they will now Lambert has said it.

Shame on Evans.

I've been several times and they looked ok to me - but then I have nothing to compare them with.

No need for the dig at ME who has obviously responded positively to Lambert's requests, though.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 19:36 - Nov 1 with 4009 viewsGarv

just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 19:34 - Nov 1 by Fixed_It

I've been several times and they looked ok to me - but then I have nothing to compare them with.

No need for the dig at ME who has obviously responded positively to Lambert's requests, though.

Tells a story though doesn't it that the last two incoming managers have been shocked at the state of the club?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 19:36 - Nov 1 with 4007 viewsIllinoisblue

just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 19:34 - Nov 1 by Fixed_It

but the counter argument to that is that Evans should never have let the club get into such a state in the first place.

62 - 78 - 81

just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 19:41 - Nov 1 with 3968 viewsWD19

just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 19:36 - Nov 1 by Garv

Tells a story though doesn't it that the last two incoming managers have been shocked at the state of the club?

Pretty standard I would say. New hire 'realises things we were worse than he thought' and that 'the job was bigger than he realised' once he gets in the door.

In my line of work I always judge the class of a leader by their ability to compliment what went before and seek to build on it rather than point out the shortcomings they have to fix once they arrive in an attempt to paint their subsequent progress in the best possible light.
Login to get fewer ads

just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 19:44 - Nov 1 with 3946 viewsFixed_It

just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 19:36 - Nov 1 by Illinoisblue

but the counter argument to that is that Evans should never have let the club get into such a state in the first place.

As I say, they weren't quite as bad as the image painted by PL - at least to a layman.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 19:47 - Nov 1 with 3936 viewsFunge

just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 19:44 - Nov 1 by Fixed_It

As I say, they weren't quite as bad as the image painted by PL - at least to a layman.

I dunno man, PL has grumbled about the state of the ground (the public face of ITFC) - wouldn't come as a huge surpirse if the training ground facilities had been left in limbo also....

I've whinged plenty about ME in times past; altho am prepared to shut up until at least the end of the season.
just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 19:56 - Nov 1 with 3901 viewsitfcjoe

just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 19:36 - Nov 1 by Illinoisblue

Look at a club like Norwich though, have had all that PL money and still borrowed a further £5m from fans last year to improve facilities. Brighton spent £30m on theirs, Palace just had plans approved for similar.

Where are we going to get that sort of money to make it state of the art? We need more than a few hundred thousand, and we don’t even have that

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 20:03 - Nov 1 with 3875 viewsBLUEBEAT

I find this ‘story’ very hard to believe.

For the last 20 years, EVERY signed player has blabbed on about how impressive the club’s facilities are.

I sense porkypies coming from a manager who wants a new office chair, with castors afixed this time for snazz value.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2019 23:30]

Poll: W or W

just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 20:06 - Nov 1 with 3855 viewsIllinoisblue

just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 19:56 - Nov 1 by itfcjoe

Look at a club like Norwich though, have had all that PL money and still borrowed a further £5m from fans last year to improve facilities. Brighton spent £30m on theirs, Palace just had plans approved for similar.

Where are we going to get that sort of money to make it state of the art? We need more than a few hundred thousand, and we don’t even have that

I don't think anyone is expecting us to have premier league facilities, but Lambert makes it sound like we didn't have much more than a non-league club. Lambert's been at Celtic, Dortmund, Villa, and Stoke so that probably clouds his view of the facilities we have.

62 - 78 - 81

just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 20:32 - Nov 1 with 3772 viewsitfcjoe

just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 20:06 - Nov 1 by Illinoisblue

I don't think anyone is expecting us to have premier league facilities, but Lambert makes it sound like we didn't have much more than a non-league club. Lambert's been at Celtic, Dortmund, Villa, and Stoke so that probably clouds his view of the facilities we have.

How many second tier teams have been in the PL recently though, or more recently than us? Whilst we need to spend on them, and have, most of that money has gone on the requirements for the academy

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 20:47 - Nov 1 with 3724 viewsIllinoisblue

just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 20:32 - Nov 1 by itfcjoe

How many second tier teams have been in the PL recently though, or more recently than us? Whilst we need to spend on them, and have, most of that money has gone on the requirements for the academy

undoubtedly we are a victim of being in the wrong place at the wrong time;, and even being owned by a multi-millionaire leaves us being paupers in today's hyperinflated world. (Note, though, that Sheff Utd got promoted on a lower average wage than us)

And to cut some Evans some slack; if he's got Mick knocking on his door saying he needs a few hundred grand to get Leon Best or whoever on loan, hard to say "no, I'm going to spend it on paint and fences at the training ground."

62 - 78 - 81

just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 20:59 - Nov 1 with 3696 viewsRocky

just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 20:06 - Nov 1 by Illinoisblue

He was also, of course at Nodge. Oddly, one of the first things he did at Carrot Rd was to make the away dressing room less "friendly" - as he put it. He said the club was too "welcoming" to away teams. This, of course, was shortly after his Col Utd had had a very friendly 7-1 result there.
I'm still not quite sure what to make of Lambert's various utterances. Agree totally that the ground needed a huge re-vamp and agree with his re-connect with the fans stuff.
But at times he just seems to over-play all this.
just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 22:27 - Nov 1 with 3475 viewsfactual_blue

just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 19:09 - Nov 1 by Garv

Shame on Evans.

Saying the walls should be blue, and there should be more ITFC club badges around is what management consultants call 'picking the low hanging fruit'. It costs little, but perhaps starts to change the mindsets of players and staff.

Hopefully nobody paid PWC a few hundred thousand quid for this insight.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 07:58 - Nov 2 with 3094 viewsRegencyBlue

All part of the penny pinching that saw us inexorably sliding towards League 1 before Hurst decided to accelerate the process I would suggest.

People seem to forget that this happened under the Evans regime in the first place and whatever is happening now is trying to put right his many mistakes over the last twelve years.
just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 08:10 - Nov 2 with 3059 viewstiptreeblue

just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 20:03 - Nov 1 by BLUEBEAT

I find this ‘story’ very hard to believe.

For the last 20 years, EVERY signed player has blabbed on about how impressive the club’s facilities are.

I sense porkypies coming from a manager who wants a new office chair, with castors afixed this time for snazz value.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2019 23:30]

Whinge, whinge, whinge, whinge, whinge. I bet you`re great to be with at parties
just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 09:58 - Nov 2 with 2909 viewsBLUEBEAT

just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 08:10 - Nov 2 by tiptreeblue

Whinge, whinge, whinge, whinge, whinge. I bet you`re great to be with at parties

Are you Σείριος Seirios?

Poll: W or W

just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 10:03 - Nov 2 with 2889 viewsbournemouthblue

20 years ago, we probably were ahead of the game but I suspect a vast swathe of clubs have surpassed us since then

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 10:08 - Nov 2 with 2862 viewsbournemouthblue

Wolves and Stoke are probably the two most directly comparable clubs he has been at prior to us

Both who have had far more investment on and off the field for quite some time

If you compared Stoke to us in the early naughties, I'm sure it would have been night and day

That's the reality of a lack of Premiership football

The fact we missed out on Category One status should have been a warning sign

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 10:09 - Nov 2 with 2860 viewsActionMan

Let's be honest look at the state the ground itself has been left in since Evans has been here, the lack of love is very evident from the way that's deteriorated and your ground is a big part of your brand, its what the rest of the league sees. Its very sad. If you look at any of the buildings the club staff use behind the ground in and around the fanzone and they've literally falling apart, old letters and club logos peeling off, just embarrassing really. It's evident to me that the man at the top doesn't care.

Years past we were always regarded as a well
just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 10:13 - Nov 2 with 2848 viewslongtimefan

just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 07:58 - Nov 2 by RegencyBlue

All part of the penny pinching that saw us inexorably sliding towards League 1 before Hurst decided to accelerate the process I would suggest.

People seem to forget that this happened under the Evans regime in the first place and whatever is happening now is trying to put right his many mistakes over the last twelve years.

“People seem to forget that this happened under the Evans regime in the first place and whatever is happening now is trying to put right his many mistakes over the last twelve years.”

Another part of the problem is that people always seem to forget the massive mess that preceded those 12 years though!
just how bad were our facilities? this is pretty damning on 10:21 - Nov 2 with 2832 views66notout

Nowhere near as bad as Lambert is making out. Indeed, there were even players who couldn’t understand why the work was necessary, especially when several members of staff were made redundant around the same time as the money was being spent and to have held off with the work would have protected half a dozen jobs.
It’s another ‘look at what I’ve done’ move by Lambert to further engage supporters who are oblivious to his faults and to mask a tactical naivety that will become more and more obvious as the season progresses.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024