Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fred Barber? What’s with the mask... 10:17 - Nov 2 with 5042 viewsagravenor

A little before my time but have just stumbled upon this on Twitter... Seems that he made one appearance for us in 1995 but what I’m interested in is WHY ON EARTH DID HE ALWAYS WEAR A FREDDY KRUGER MASK?! One of the weirdest things I’ve ever seen in football

Fred Barber? What’s with the mask... on 10:31 - Nov 2 with 4998 viewsActionMan

I remember watching this on TV, I assumed at the time it was because pre Internet nobody even knew that he was playing for us that day and this was a amusing way to reveal himself. I still don't recall why he played given I think we still had Clive Baker on the books along with Forrest and Wright that season. I seem to remember another random keeper being used in the tye dye era as well but it was a long long time ago.
Fred Barber? What’s with the mask... on 10:32 - Nov 2 with 4995 viewsWD19

25-30 years later we are talking about a bloke who mostly played for Walsall, Darlington and Peterborough. Maybe that’s why he wore a mask.
Fred Barber? What’s with the mask... on 10:42 - Nov 2 with 4965 viewsfredbarber

Hello
Fred Barber? What’s with the mask... on 11:56 - Nov 2 with 4891 viewsfactual_blue

He was no Lee Bracey. Warmed up at every match, then up to the commentary box (only three substitutes, so rarely a keeper on the bench).

No appearances in three seasons.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Fred Barber? What’s with the mask... on 16:36 - Nov 2 with 4761 viewsFifeITFC

Fred Barber? What’s with the mask... on 10:31 - Nov 2 by ActionMan

I remember watching this on TV, I assumed at the time it was because pre Internet nobody even knew that he was playing for us that day and this was a amusing way to reveal himself. I still don't recall why he played given I think we still had Clive Baker on the books along with Forrest and Wright that season. I seem to remember another random keeper being used in the tye dye era as well but it was a long long time ago.

He always wore the mask at Peterborough. Saw an interview at the time and he thought the game was always so serious so he did it to lighten the mood.

Baker had already retired injured, and Forrest was out injured against Charlton and I think Wright injured his back against Huddersfield at home hence why we got Barber in for 1 game.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

Fred Barber? What’s with the mask... on 17:06 - Nov 2 with 4736 viewsclive_baker

Fred Barber? What’s with the mask... on 10:42 - Nov 2 by fredbarber

Hello

I should’ve played.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Fred Barber? What’s with the mask... on 20:24 - Nov 2 with 4643 viewsfabian_illness

Fred was good mates and sort of business partners with Malcolm Webster back when goalkeeper coaches were freelance and not officially attached to clubs.
Him and Malcolm used to organise pre season training camps for pro keepers at Crewe university campus.
If they didn’t get you spewing up in the first couple of days they’d get quite annoyed!
[Post edited 2 Nov 2019 20:31]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024