Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it 10:30 - Nov 4 with 1275 viewsBrixtonBlue

A Conservative general election candidate has apologised for a Facebook post in which she said people on the TV show Benefits Street needed "putting down".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-50283520

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 10:54 - Nov 4 with 951 viewsSwansea_Blue

She's the new candidate in my constituency (the last Tory has just been given a peerage, despite losing the last GE). I'm hoping this will be played on hard and it'll swing a few people away from the Tories, as it's a fairly close seat.

Poll: What player was the poorer of these two

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 10:56 - Nov 4 with 947 viewschicoazul

I predict we will see ever more bland boring unrepresentative people chosen for political positions thanks to scraping of social media for every stupid thoughtless thing they have ever said.

Words are a medium that reduces reality to abstraction for transmission to our reason, and in their power to corrode reality inevitably lurks the danger that the words will be corroded too. It might be more appropriate, in fact, to liken their action to excessive stomach fluids that digest and gradually eat away the stomach itself.
Poll: How much are Phil Gav and the elusive Mark looking forward to next Friday?

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 11:07 - Nov 4 with 920 viewsGlasgowBlue

She should be dropped straight away.

"History is made, sadly, by people who are bystanders and do nothing. Their inaction is an excuse and a cover for intolerance".
Poll: What would your preference for next season be?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 11:08 - Nov 4 with 919 viewsElmswell_Blue

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 10:56 - Nov 4 by chicoazul

I predict we will see ever more bland boring unrepresentative people chosen for political positions thanks to scraping of social media for every stupid thoughtless thing they have ever said.

I don't think her saying that was thoughtless. I think it shows exactly what she thinks and, by 2014, people knew their comments on social media could come back to haunt them.

It's sad that there is any suggestion whatsoever that it is not cause for her to withdraw.
I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 11:13 - Nov 4 with 907 viewsNotSure

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 10:56 - Nov 4 by chicoazul

It's just not worth using social media anymore.
All employers will check your history, find it hard to believe the Tories in her constituency didn't.
I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 11:17 - Nov 4 with 892 viewsBrixtonBlue

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 11:13 - Nov 4 by NotSure

All employers will check your history, find it hard to believe the Tories in her constituency didn't.

It's really easy to use social media without posting disgusting stuff like "kill poor people." I seem to manage it ok, so do most people.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 11:20 - Nov 4 with 880 viewsCoachRob

She can join Ben Bradley on the eugenics wing of the Tory Party.

On a serious note I am seeing eugenics discussed more and more especially around the debates on climate change and population control. Worrying times.

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 11:31 - Nov 4 with 851 viewsOldsmoker

The money you get on Universal Credit is not enough which means some people go into debt and rely on food banks. This is the way that the Tories are "putting down" those at the bottom. Execution is far too quick and doesn't make the poor suffer enough. The Tories think it's much better sport to have the poor people suffer for years on end and laugh and gloat at them on TV programs.

Poll: Do you think Posters should be allowed to the same poll twice?

Login to get fewer ads

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 11:52 - Nov 4 with 808 viewschicoazul

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 11:20 - Nov 4 by CoachRob

On a serious note I am seeing eugenics discussed more and more especially around the debates on climate change and population control. Worrying times.

Eugenics is widely used in western countries. We just call it abortion. Iceland for instance has nearly eradicated downs syndrome due to termination.

Words are a medium that reduces reality to abstraction for transmission to our reason, and in their power to corrode reality inevitably lurks the danger that the words will be corroded too. It might be more appropriate, in fact, to liken their action to excessive stomach fluids that digest and gradually eat away the stomach itself.
Poll: How much are Phil Gav and the elusive Mark looking forward to next Friday?

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 11:53 - Nov 4 with 803 viewsNotSure

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 11:17 - Nov 4 by BrixtonBlue

It's really easy to use social media without posting disgusting stuff like "kill poor people." I seem to manage it ok, so do most people.

That wasn't the point I was making.
If an employer cannot decide between two people, then they can decide against you for all sorts of reasons due to your politics or controversial views or even the football team you support. Just don't bother with it.
I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 12:04 - Nov 4 with 781 viewsOldsmoker

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 11:13 - Nov 4 by NotSure

You could do the social media thing up to and including your university 3-year binge fest / knob gags & pics / casual racism etc.
Then change your name by deed poll and assume the upstanding pillar-of-the-community persona under the new name.

Poll: Do you think Posters should be allowed to the same poll twice?

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 12:33 - Nov 4 with 731 viewsSwansea_Blue

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 11:17 - Nov 4 by BrixtonBlue

Not even a little stamping on a tramp every once in a while? You've never lived.

And to think, Darth meant this as satire:
What's the most tory thing you've done of late? by Darth_Koont 30 Oct 9:26
I kicked a tramp to death last Thursday.

But, yeah I think you win. But that really is rugby in the South East - seems very much more middle/upper middle class there than anywhere else I’ve been around England and indeed the UK. With “Twickers” in possibly the worst area to double down on that.

I suppose all the best satire is grounded in truth.

Poll: What player was the poorer of these two

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 12:35 - Nov 4 with 724 viewsfooters

"We need a man in charge of boys, they wont like it up em, but they'd rather it be coming from their gaffer than those broom wrangling wannabes in league 1."
Poll: Who is the best Judge?

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 12:36 - Nov 4 with 710 viewsBlueBadger

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 11:52 - Nov 4 by chicoazul

Eugenics is widely used in western countries. We just call it abortion. Iceland for instance has nearly eradicated downs syndrome due to termination.

Ah, I was wondering when the real Chico was going to show up with some half-truth based Littlejohnning.
https://www.abortionrightscampaign.ie/2017/11/28/lets-talk-about-iceland/

These people are called idiots and BB is their leader.
Poll: Who would you like to see win the champions League final?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 12:47 - Nov 4 with 703 viewsStokieBlue

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 11:20 - Nov 4 by CoachRob

I never see eugenics discussed in the way you are suggesting thankfully but population control is a hard subject that needs to be discussed seriously at some point.

If the predicted 2100 population of Nigeria (and to a lesser extent DR Congo and Tanzania) in this chart don't scare you then they really should:

Don't forget, we are talking about a fairly under-developed country with a population twice that of the US in less than a quarter the area.

The Indian population is also quite scary.

SB

“You may not feel outstandingly robust, but if you are an average-sized adult you will contain within your modest frame no less than 7 X 10^18 joules of potential energy—enough to explode with the force of thirty very large hydrogen bombs, assuming you knew how to liberate it and really wished to make a point."

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 12:56 - Nov 4 with 671 viewschicoazul

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 12:47 - Nov 4 by StokieBlue

I never see eugenics discussed in the way you are suggesting thankfully but population control is a hard subject that needs to be discussed seriously at some point.

If the predicted 2100 population of Nigeria (and to a lesser extent DR Congo and Tanzania) in this chart don't scare you then they really should:

Don't forget, we are talking about a fairly under-developed country with a population twice that of the US in less than a quarter the area.

The Indian population is also quite scary.

SB

What's scary about those numbers?

EDIT; hang on, also are you/they seriously saying nearly 400m Chinese people are just going to....disappear by 2100? Mao himself would be proud.
[Post edited 4 Nov 12:58]

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 13:03 - Nov 4 with 649 viewsStokieBlue

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 12:56 - Nov 4 by chicoazul

What's scary about those numbers?

EDIT; hang on, also are you/they seriously saying nearly 400m Chinese people are just going to....disappear by 2100? Mao himself would be proud.
[Post edited 4 Nov 12:58]

You don't think 800m people in a medium sized country which has a current population of 200m is scary? You don't think a 4 fold increase in 80 years is scary? It's 1.6 times the population of the entire EU in a space in 1/5th the space and without the infrastructure built up over time.

They aren't my numbers - I assume that is a lowing of birth rates which happens as economies develop. The demographics of China are also totally messed up with about 80m more men than woman. They are trying to limit their population, other countries are doing the opposite.

SB

“You may not feel outstandingly robust, but if you are an average-sized adult you will contain within your modest frame no less than 7 X 10^18 joules of potential energy—enough to explode with the force of thirty very large hydrogen bombs, assuming you knew how to liberate it and really wished to make a point."

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 13:13 - Nov 4 with 608 viewschicoazul

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 13:03 - Nov 4 by StokieBlue

You don't think 800m people in a medium sized country which has a current population of 200m is scary? You don't think a 4 fold increase in 80 years is scary? It's 1.6 times the population of the entire EU in a space in 1/5th the space and without the infrastructure built up over time.

They aren't my numbers - I assume that is a lowing of birth rates which happens as economies develop. The demographics of China are also totally messed up with about 80m more men than woman. They are trying to limit their population, other countries are doing the opposite.

SB

I dont know if i think it's "scary" no, and I dont know why anyone would.

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 13:18 - Nov 4 with 596 viewsStokieBlue

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 13:13 - Nov 4 by chicoazul

I dont know if i think it's "scary" no, and I dont know why anyone would.

I can only assume that we have different ideas on what constitutes a scary situation or that you haven't thought through all the implications involved for that country and it's people of increasing it's population by 400% in such a small area.

For instance, the predicted population of Lagos in 2100 ranges between 60m and 100m. That's the entire UK in a city. That is going to create issues.

SB

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 13:20 - Nov 4 with 592 viewschicoazul

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 13:18 - Nov 4 by StokieBlue

I can only assume that we have different ideas on what constitutes a scary situation or that you haven't thought through all the implications involved for that country and it's people of increasing it's population by 400% in such a small area.

For instance, the predicted population of Lagos in 2100 ranges between 60m and 100m. That's the entire UK in a city. That is going to create issues.

SB

I think youre right, we do have different ideas on that.

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 13:23 - Nov 4 with 578 viewsBrixtonBlue

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 13:20 - Nov 4 by chicoazul

I think youre right, we do have different ideas on that.

You're bonkers if you don't see the issue there.

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 13:26 - Nov 4 with 561 viewschicoazul

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 13:23 - Nov 4 by BrixtonBlue

You're bonkers if you don't see the issue there.

I dont doubt there will be issues and problems, although I am sure the Nigerians, enterprising positive people that they are, will meet the challenges. I just dont see why they are scary, thats all. It's not like Nigerians arent used to massive population growth after all.

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 13:31 - Nov 4 with 543 viewsStokieBlue

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 13:26 - Nov 4 by chicoazul

I dont doubt there will be issues and problems, although I am sure the Nigerians, enterprising positive people that they are, will meet the challenges. I just dont see why they are scary, thats all. It's not like Nigerians arent used to massive population growth after all.

I didn't say them as a people were scary - that's a misrepresentation.

If you can't see the issues then we are going to have to agree to differ with our opinions on this one. You seem to be totally neglectful of the environmental, infrastructure and logistical issues that come with such a massive population. Look at the infrastructure of the US and the EU, scale it up by x1.6 and then you are getting somewhere.

That is of course assuming we expect them to have the same quality of life as we do in the EU and US over the longer term.

SB

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 13:32 - Nov 4 with 540 viewschicoazul

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 13:31 - Nov 4 by StokieBlue

I didn't say them as a people were scary - that's a misrepresentation.

If you can't see the issues then we are going to have to agree to differ with our opinions on this one. You seem to be totally neglectful of the environmental, infrastructure and logistical issues that come with such a massive population. Look at the infrastructure of the US and the EU, scale it up by x1.6 and then you are getting somewhere.

That is of course assuming we expect them to have the same quality of life as we do in the EU and US over the longer term.

SB

I didnt say you said "them as a people" are scary, I said I dont see why the problems you allude to are scary.

I bet the Tories would make this policy if they could get away with it on 13:34 - Nov 4 with 530 viewsVaughan8

People have their agenda's and I'm sure there will be more of this stuff coming out, probably a Labour candidate next time. She isn't in my constituency so doesn't really have any relevance to me.

Not sure why this has turned into one person's facebook post means its the whole party? This "propaganda" is boring.

BTW, I don't vote one way or the other every election so I don't have any bias particularly anyway.
[Post edited 4 Nov 13:35]

Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2019