Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
JRM's comments on Grenfell 17:36 - Nov 5 with 2856 viewschicoazul

offer a fundamental insight into Brexit and the cancerous opinions behind it. They represent the views of Brexiters that everything including being trapped in a burning building is a question of applying simple "common sense" and taking personal responsibility. This reinforces their opinions that deregulating all aspects of our lives - in effect imposing a form of Randian libertarianism on society, replacing both the EU's and our usual British paternalistic approach - is a good way to run things and will lead to a strong sturdier society.

Boyos, whenever anyone but *especially* a politician talks about "common sense" be very wary of their bad opinions that inevitably follow.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 17:42 - Nov 5 with 2094 viewsSpruceMoose

You'll be in trouble using the word 'cancerous' here Boyo. There's a few round these parts who take a great exception to that.

Agree with your sentiment here though. In the words of Stuart Chase, common sense is what tells us the world is flat.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 17:48 - Nov 5 with 2061 viewstractordownsouth

The guy is an utter disgrace to our politics. Unfortunately in the current government, these comments are more likely to land him a promotion than being removed from his position.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 17:49 - Nov 5 with 2056 viewsbrogansnose

Anyone with common sense wouldn't put flammable cladding up the sides of a tower block with no fire stops.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2019 17:49]
JRM's comments on Grenfell on 17:56 - Nov 5 with 2021 viewsGuthrum

I wonder if "common sense" trumps expert opinion when JRM's hedge fund is making investment decisions, too?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 17:58 - Nov 5 with 2001 viewsbrogansnose

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 17:56 - Nov 5 by Guthrum

I wonder if "common sense" trumps expert opinion when JRM's hedge fund is making investment decisions, too?

Common sense would tell you to re-locate the business to the Irish Republic.
JRM's comments on Grenfell on 18:05 - Nov 5 with 1964 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I'm not sure Mogg has any sense about anything related to living in tower blocks.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 18:16 - Nov 5 with 1933 viewsfooters

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 18:05 - Nov 5 by BanksterDebtSlave

I'm not sure Mogg has any sense about anything related to living in tower blocks.

I don't want to start speculating in too much detail as I haven't read the report, but if Grenfell was like most high-rises then I believe lifts are out of order during a fire, so leaving via the stairs would surely have drastically increased the likelihood of asphyxiation, etc, meaning LFB's advice was sound as fire doors should have been installed.

Either way, JRM is a fcking tosspot.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 18:18 - Nov 5 with 1923 viewsSpruceMoose

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 18:16 - Nov 5 by footers

I don't want to start speculating in too much detail as I haven't read the report, but if Grenfell was like most high-rises then I believe lifts are out of order during a fire, so leaving via the stairs would surely have drastically increased the likelihood of asphyxiation, etc, meaning LFB's advice was sound as fire doors should have been installed.

Either way, JRM is a fcking tosspot.

If it's anything like high rises here then it's fire regulation for elevators to instantly be recalled to the ground floor and stay there when the alarm is tripped.

Edit - Fook. I can't believe I said 'elevators' rather than 'lifts'. I've been here too long.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2019 18:22]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Login to get fewer ads

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 18:23 - Nov 5 with 1901 viewsDubtractor

If JRM had any common sense then he wouldn't have taken his 12 yr old kid to parliament then walked him though the middle of an angry protest afterwards.

Of course he just might have used his kid for a publicity stunt.

And of course he is probably the biggest w@nkstain out of a large collection of them in the current tory party.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 18:27 - Nov 5 with 1883 viewsDanTheMan

The apology was absurd too.

"Oh I meant in hindsight"

Lol no you didn't you knob. Doesn't make any sense when you hear what he said. He didn't misspeak.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 19:01 - Nov 5 with 1809 viewsSpruceMoose

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 18:27 - Nov 5 by DanTheMan

The apology was absurd too.

"Oh I meant in hindsight"

Lol no you didn't you knob. Doesn't make any sense when you hear what he said. He didn't misspeak.

It makes perfect sense, if you are able to put yourself into their everyone else is inferior to me mindset...

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 19:10 - Nov 5 with 1776 viewslowhouseblue

a very, very stupid thing for him to say. he has arrogance in place of common decency.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 19:14 - Nov 5 with 1757 viewsjeera

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 17:48 - Nov 5 by tractordownsouth

The guy is an utter disgrace to our politics. Unfortunately in the current government, these comments are more likely to land him a promotion than being removed from his position.

He's really shown his true self since those days of the poshly-spoken, little bit clumsy but likeable toff on the panel shows.

Utter prick.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 19:17 - Nov 5 with 1755 viewsJakeITFC

The very thin cloak barely covers the disdain of these scum bags most of the time, but there is still an element of surprise to hear an active and prominent member of the current government basically saying that people died due to being less intelligent than himself.

The underlying subtext involving the victims of Grenfell is obvious so I won’t dwell - I just hope that this video clip (and the quite remarkable follow up interview with Andrew Bridgen) is seen by as much of the electorate as possible so that people can hear how sneering and uncaring these bastards really are.
JRM's comments on Grenfell on 19:20 - Nov 5 with 1730 viewsGlasgowBlue

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 19:10 - Nov 5 by lowhouseblue

a very, very stupid thing for him to say. he has arrogance in place of common decency.

I'm not usually a fan of “check your privilege” but this is very much a case of someone so far removed from normal life that he hasn't a clue how these people lived or the life and death decisions that residents had to make with all hell breaking loose around them. He'd have been better to shut up.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 19:27 - Nov 5 with 1713 viewslowhouseblue

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 19:20 - Nov 5 by GlasgowBlue

I'm not usually a fan of “check your privilege” but this is very much a case of someone so far removed from normal life that he hasn't a clue how these people lived or the life and death decisions that residents had to make with all hell breaking loose around them. He'd have been better to shut up.

it's hard to imagine what went through his head. it's victim blaming just for the hell of it.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 19:30 - Nov 5 with 1698 viewsfooters

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 19:17 - Nov 5 by JakeITFC

The very thin cloak barely covers the disdain of these scum bags most of the time, but there is still an element of surprise to hear an active and prominent member of the current government basically saying that people died due to being less intelligent than himself.

The underlying subtext involving the victims of Grenfell is obvious so I won’t dwell - I just hope that this video clip (and the quite remarkable follow up interview with Andrew Bridgen) is seen by as much of the electorate as possible so that people can hear how sneering and uncaring these bastards really are.

Exactly. Best for them to get it out in the open and show their true colours. How surprising that when I read the story in the S*n today that the comment section was in full support!

These people hate you but you still believe them. Incredible.

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 19:31 - Nov 5 with 1692 viewsJ2BLUE

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 19:20 - Nov 5 by GlasgowBlue

Hmm. I know i'll get some stick for this but I think some are playing the man and not the ball.

He's said it was hindsight. Usually when someone makes a backtracking comment like this you can look back and clearly see that it wasn't. However his initial comments do seem to fit in with that. I can see how some people are taking them differently but not sure he meant what everyone is saying he meant. I have no desire to defend him, he's clearly a c unit regardless of this incident, but I think some are deliberately taking it in the worst sense because of who it is.

I think he's saying it's basic instinct for all humans/animals to leave a burning building but in this case people trusted the fire service as the vast majority of us would have. Details have since emerged where people might not do so in future.

That's my interpretation. Let the online kicking commence.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 19:33 - Nov 5 with 1685 viewsEdmundo

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 19:14 - Nov 5 by jeera

He's really shown his true self since those days of the poshly-spoken, little bit clumsy but likeable toff on the panel shows.

Utter prick.

This is the way the Tories are going: right wing to the point of expressing opinions that would not have been kit of place on Third Reich Radio

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 19:38 - Nov 5 with 1666 viewsm14_blue

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 19:31 - Nov 5 by J2BLUE

Hmm. I know i'll get some stick for this but I think some are playing the man and not the ball.

He's said it was hindsight. Usually when someone makes a backtracking comment like this you can look back and clearly see that it wasn't. However his initial comments do seem to fit in with that. I can see how some people are taking them differently but not sure he meant what everyone is saying he meant. I have no desire to defend him, he's clearly a c unit regardless of this incident, but I think some are deliberately taking it in the worst sense because of who it is.

I think he's saying it's basic instinct for all humans/animals to leave a burning building but in this case people trusted the fire service as the vast majority of us would have. Details have since emerged where people might not do so in future.

You’re usually right about stuff (with one obvious exception) but, having listened to the whole interview live, you’re definitely wrong about this one.

I don’t think it comes from malice with JRM, he’s just been brought up in the certain knowledge that he’s better and worth more than most other people. It’s an inevitable consequence of that kind of privilege.

What is truly incredible is that so many of the people he views as beneath him were persuaded that he speaks for them. The Brexit brainwashing has been extraordinary and enormously disturbing.
JRM's comments on Grenfell on 19:40 - Nov 5 with 1653 viewsJ2BLUE

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 19:38 - Nov 5 by m14_blue

You’re usually right about stuff (with one obvious exception) but, having listened to the whole interview live, you’re definitely wrong about this one.

I don’t think it comes from malice with JRM, he’s just been brought up in the certain knowledge that he’s better and worth more than most other people. It’s an inevitable consequence of that kind of privilege.

What is truly incredible is that so many of the people he views as beneath him were persuaded that he speaks for them. The Brexit brainwashing has been extraordinary and enormously disturbing.

Fair enough, i've only seen the comments on BBC, I haven't heard it.

'with one obvious exception' - supporting Ipswich?

Truly impaired.

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 19:40 - Nov 5 with 1649 viewsfooters

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 19:31 - Nov 5 by J2BLUE

Do you believe JRM knows more about fire safety in a high-rise building than the LFB?

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 19:42 - Nov 5 with 1637 viewsSpruceMoose

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 19:40 - Nov 5 by footers

Do you believe JRM knows more about fire safety in a high-rise building than the LFB?

I believe JRM does, and that's his real problem.

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 19:43 - Nov 5 with 1629 viewsJ2BLUE

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 19:40 - Nov 5 by footers

I never said he does. I thought my position was clear.

As i've since said, I didn't hear the comments, only seen them on BBC site.

Truly impaired.

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 19:46 - Nov 5 with 1605 viewsm14_blue

JRM's comments on Grenfell on 19:40 - Nov 5 by J2BLUE

Fair enough, i've only seen the comments on BBC, I haven't heard it.

'with one obvious exception' - supporting Ipswich?

Have you looked at the league table lately????

Don’t look at the name of the league, that’s all.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024