Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good win.... 21:51 - Nov 5 with 4323 viewsitfcjoe

.....but I think when you watched Rochdale in that first half you can see what some fans are banging on about with regards to 'patterns of play', they play some really nice stuff.

Down the flanks we were very poor in the first half and midfield completely bypassed. Tempo upped in second half and we were much better - but still seemingly more questions than answers

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Good win.... on 21:53 - Nov 5 with 4247 viewsGuthrum

I do reckon Lambert runs a tactic of absorbing pressure the first half, then upping the tempo in the second. Masked slightly by some of our early goals.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Good win.... on 21:54 - Nov 5 with 4237 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Seems quite a few clubs at this level play OK but don't take their chances.

Big difference in percentage of chances taken in the Championship is my feeling.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Good win.... on 21:56 - Nov 5 with 4168 viewstextbackup

Good win.... on 21:54 - Nov 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

Big difference in percentage of chances taken in the Championship is my feeling.

Yep agree, all teams pass it around nicely, but it’s the lack of quality in final third that is most teams downfall

Say many times a game when a chance goes a miss for the opposition ‘that’s a goal in the championship’ massively difference

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Good win.... on 21:58 - Nov 5 with 4150 viewsDarth_Koont

Although I didn’t think Rochdale were that good.

Watching on iFollow Brenner was suggesting it would be a smash and grab if we scored. But to me it looked pretty even with the pressure still on them as the home team.

We upped the tempo and they folded after that.

Pronouns: He/Him

Good win.... on 22:00 - Nov 5 with 4097 viewsHerbivore

Good win.... on 21:53 - Nov 5 by Guthrum

I do reckon Lambert runs a tactic of absorbing pressure the first half, then upping the tempo in the second. Masked slightly by some of our early goals.

McCarthyesque.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Good win.... on 22:02 - Nov 5 with 4046 viewsRegencyBlue

I think there is something to that.

It’s a risky strategy though and it doesn’t help my heart rate!
Good win.... on 22:05 - Nov 5 with 4009 viewsitfcjoe

Good win.... on 21:56 - Nov 5 by textbackup

Yep agree, all teams pass it around nicely, but it’s the lack of quality in final third that is most teams downfall

Say many times a game when a chance goes a miss for the opposition ‘that’s a goal in the championship’ massively difference

We should be able to pass it round nicely and then finish the chances - that one that their 40 lifted over the bar was a massive chance

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Good win.... on 22:21 - Nov 5 with 3888 viewsIllinoisblue

these smaller teams in League 1 are pretty much us in the Championship; not terrible, some decent players, but simply don't take chances when they come.

It's a little disheartening to think of us as a Rochdale but hey ho. Up the league we go.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

Good win.... on 22:28 - Nov 5 with 3818 viewswitchdoctor

Good win.... on 22:00 - Nov 5 by Herbivore

McCarthyesque.

Good win.... on 22:40 - Nov 5 with 3734 viewsunstableblue

I am one of the fans who bangs on about patterns of play, technical managers, and tactical systems trumping draconian management.

And I was fuming after Rotherham, which was like hundreds of games over the last decade where teams have out passed and out moved us.

But I thought tonight whilst Rochdale were able to pass between the lines and into space, they were toothless bar one chance, and we were relatively in control. We started brightly at the start of the game, then faded and Rochdale did as you say produce some nice patterns of play. But when we did gel we hit bar and post.

Second half we showed enough interplay, triangles and one twos to be pleasing. And again we’re in control.

Tonight was not one of the performances of the last decade where I felt we looked inferior technically.

However I would agree the fans deserve a game soon where our superior players show a consistent technical masterclass for 70mins. It is after all only League One.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2019 22:41]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Good win.... on 22:42 - Nov 5 with 3697 viewsHerbivore

Good win.... on 22:28 - Nov 5 by witchdoctor

I know, we've not really hit those kind of heights yet.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Good win.... on 10:08 - Nov 6 with 3306 viewsRobTheMonk

I reckon they got a rocket at half time to be honest. Second half we actually tried to pass the ball short and sharply rather than the first half which was slow, turgid and hoofy. Second half they started playing short, sharp passes, move to space, rinse and repeat.

It looked like Rowe had been told to take his man on second half as well. I've said before that I think some of our forward thinking players need to be a little more ballsy with taking their man on. Edwards is alright at doing it, but I prefer him in a more attacking role than fullback. Rowe started doing it second half. Georgiou comes on and does it all the time. Garbutt is good at doing it as well but is hampered by having to defend.
Good win.... on 17:23 - Nov 6 with 3139 viewsstrikalite

Think many do, I'm sure Mick did, our goals tally under him during the first half of games was so bad that it really had to be pre-planned to go for it second half...
Good win.... on 17:55 - Nov 6 with 3098 viewsBent_double

Good win.... on 21:54 - Nov 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

You're not kidding, they probably had 3 very good chances, all of which would have been put away by a half decent striker in the Championship.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Good win.... on 18:10 - Nov 6 with 3065 viewsblueislander

Good win.... on 22:40 - Nov 5 by unstableblue

I am one of the fans who bangs on about patterns of play, technical managers, and tactical systems trumping draconian management.

And I was fuming after Rotherham, which was like hundreds of games over the last decade where teams have out passed and out moved us.

But I thought tonight whilst Rochdale were able to pass between the lines and into space, they were toothless bar one chance, and we were relatively in control. We started brightly at the start of the game, then faded and Rochdale did as you say produce some nice patterns of play. But when we did gel we hit bar and post.

Second half we showed enough interplay, triangles and one twos to be pleasing. And again we’re in control.

Tonight was not one of the performances of the last decade where I felt we looked inferior technically.

However I would agree the fans deserve a game soon where our superior players show a consistent technical masterclass for 70mins. It is after all only League One.

There’s that purses “technical manager “ again. Last time I saw it used on here no one was able to define it. Can you?
Good win.... on 20:05 - Nov 6 with 2983 views44_not_out

Good win.... on 21:58 - Nov 5 by Darth_Koont

Although I didn’t think Rochdale were that good.

Watching on iFollow Brenner was suggesting it would be a smash and grab if we scored. But to me it looked pretty even with the pressure still on them as the home team.

We upped the tempo and they folded after that.

Having watched ifollow with radio Suffolk commentary, I am convinced Brenner Woolley struggles with the fact we are doing well (like a few in here) and just looks for negatives.

Did we play well first half? Not really, we were a bit below par, although we hit the bar and the post. Listening to Woolley, you’d think we back to last season. We bossed the second half and Rochdale didn’t look like scoring, yet he feels we are not playing well.

My personal favourite was when Chambers went long and it was described as a ‘hit and hope’. A minute later one of the Rochdale CB’s did the same and it was a ‘long racking pass forward’
Good win.... on 20:09 - Nov 6 with 2973 views44_not_out

Good win.... on 22:40 - Nov 5 by unstableblue

Is ‘patterns of play’ the new buzz phrase???

What does it mean??
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024