Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? 08:11 - Nov 6 with 11665 viewsitfcjoe

I know it has always been right leaning, but I'd have had it as a respectable paper with decent journalists etc, used to read parts of it at a time and was always fair.

It has literally turned into the Conservative Internal paper, the front page is an utter embarrassment. Is it just since Brexit that it has lost it's mind?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 08:16 - Nov 6 with 3249 viewsHerbivore

Partly since Brexit but it's got even worse since their star columnist became PM. It's a propaganda sheet these days, nothing more. Thankfully no swing voter is likely to pick up the Telegraph so they're preaching to the converted.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 08:20 - Nov 6 with 3237 viewsWD19

It’s just modern journalism. I guess they think the public (their loyal customer base) wants them to have an opinion (that they can relate to, be comfortable with and continue supporting) rather than Just report the news. I used to have a lot of time for both the Telegraph and C4 news, but both have completely lost it - albeit in diametrically opposed directions.
WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 08:28 - Nov 6 with 3203 viewsSwansea_Blue

For a little while now - it's been a chart topper, or close, for IPSO complaints for several years. It's horrendous at the moment isn't it, with more complaints being upheld recently - Boris seems to be particularly guilty of lying to the country through it.

It's pretty much pure propaganda now - which presumably is why Bannon is being linked with a potential buy-out.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 08:31 - Nov 6 with 3191 viewsHerbivore

I've just seen the front page. Wow. An allegedly serious newspaper using its front page to compare Corbyn to Stalin? My oh my, we are plumbing new depths.

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 08:35 - Nov 6 with 3174 viewsitfcjoe

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 08:31 - Nov 6 by Herbivore

I've just seen the front page. Wow. An allegedly serious newspaper using its front page to compare Corbyn to Stalin? My oh my, we are plumbing new depths.

It's an exact quote Johnson used about Gordon brown in 2009 when tax rate went up to 50p too

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 08:36 - Nov 6 with 3166 viewsSwansea_Blue

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 08:31 - Nov 6 by Herbivore

And it's Johnson again, what a surprise. It's simply a ravingly mad propaganda.

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 08:42 - Nov 6 with 3144 viewshype313

It's been known as the Torygraph for years, just seems more and more RW these days.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 08:43 - Nov 6 with 3137 viewsHerbivore

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 08:36 - Nov 6 by Swansea_Blue

And it's Johnson again, what a surprise. It's simply a ravingly mad propaganda.

I thought he was on leave whilst he was PM? It really ought to be investigated.

The issue is that you have legit stories like Rees-Mogg and Bridgen sneering at poor people and a Tory minister lying about knowing that his buddy derailed a rape trial that aren't getting covered. How is a quote from Johnson their headline when those two stories are doing the rounds? And this is why the Tories win elections, they control the press who unswervingly act as their mouthpiece and suppress any negative news.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2019 8:43]

Login to get fewer ads

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 08:52 - Nov 6 with 3109 viewsWD19

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 08:43 - Nov 6 by Herbivore

The issue is that you have legit stories like Rees-Mogg and Bridgen sneering at poor people and a Tory minister lying about knowing that his buddy derailed a rape trial that aren't getting covered. How is a quote from Johnson their headline when those two stories are doing the rounds? And this is why the Tories win elections, they control the press who unswervingly act as their mouthpiece and suppress any negative news.

You raise some very good points, but the idea any party 'controls' the press is a nonsense. Maybe one of two publications are run by mates of mates....but its not that coherent.

Generally speaking the press say what they like and parties have to dance to their tune. Those that play ball will get favourable coverage and those that don't, won't. Like all of these things, the press will turn on someone overnight if they feel like it.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2019 8:58]
WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 09:02 - Nov 6 with 3082 viewsHerbivore

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 08:52 - Nov 6 by WD19

You raise some very good points, but the idea any party 'controls' the press is a nonsense. Maybe one of two publications are run by mates of mates....but its not that coherent.

Generally speaking the press say what they like and parties have to dance to their tune. Those that play ball will get favourable coverage and those that don't, won't. Like all of these things, the press will turn on someone overnight if they feel like it.

Come on now, the Tories and much of the press are in each other's pockets. Murdoch briefly jumped ship for Blair but only because the Tories were a busted flush and Blair was Tory-lite. The Telegraph right now is Johnson's personal propaganda sheet, I don't see how you can argue otherwise.

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 09:29 - Nov 6 with 3044 viewsWD19

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 09:02 - Nov 6 by Herbivore

Come on now, the Tories and much of the press are in each other's pockets. Murdoch briefly jumped ship for Blair but only because the Tories were a busted flush and Blair was Tory-lite. The Telegraph right now is Johnson's personal propaganda sheet, I don't see how you can argue otherwise.

That you do not see it is not a great suprise to be honest.

You are right on the Telegraph. For much of the rest I see it as more of an abusive relationship. It works so long as the 'partner' does what the press wants them to and doesn't complain when they smack them about a bit after a few drinks.
WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 09:38 - Nov 6 with 3025 viewsStokieBlue

Well it was Boris who made the comparison but that doesn't mean they have to report it (unless it's to refute it).

It's a horrible statement from Boris and trivialises the crimes of a monster who killed millions of people. It's totally unacceptable.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 09:42 - Nov 6 with 3014 viewschicoazul

It's because the Barclays are total wingnuts who literally own their own island, and are bricking it about EU/Corbyn taxation.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 09:54 - Nov 6 with 2994 viewscaught-in-limbo

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 08:52 - Nov 6 by WD19

You're right, the media generally controls the politicians, not the other way round.

So who owns the UK press? This is a good place to start:

https://www.mediareform.org.uk/media-ownership/who-owns-the-uk-media

In reality all large media titles are propaganda mouthpieces for their owners and advertisers. I don't see how anyone could think otherwise.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 09:56 - Nov 6 with 2992 viewsSwansea_Blue

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 08:43 - Nov 6 by Herbivore

Thick as thieves might be a better way of describing the relationship rather than control, but the effect is the same. I’m surprised BJ is allowed to spread blatant lies on the front page, but there we are. It suits him and it suits the tax exiled owners. Quite who’s pulling who’s strings is debatable; if anything it may be the owners getting the Brexit-supporting Tories to dance to their tune.

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 09:59 - Nov 6 with 2977 viewslowhouseblue

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 09:56 - Nov 6 by Swansea_Blue

Thick as thieves might be a better way of describing the relationship rather than control, but the effect is the same. I’m surprised BJ is allowed to spread blatant lies on the front page, but there we are. It suits him and it suits the tax exiled owners. Quite who’s pulling who’s strings is debatable; if anything it may be the owners getting the Brexit-supporting Tories to dance to their tune.

you do understand the difference between 'blatant lies' and 'stuff you disagree with' don't you? political debate would be so much better if the 2 don't get confused.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 10:04 - Nov 6 with 2962 viewsBlueBadger

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 09:59 - Nov 6 by lowhouseblue

you do understand the difference between 'blatant lies' and 'stuff you disagree with' don't you? political debate would be so much better if the 2 don't get confused.

If Boris has said it, it's a lie.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 10:04 - Nov 6 with 2958 viewsHerbivore

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 09:59 - Nov 6 by lowhouseblue

The Telegraph had to print three retractions of false claims made by Johnson in his columns in the first 6 months of this year.

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 10:15 - Nov 6 with 2939 viewsSwansea_Blue

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/media/2019/nov/03/telegraph-f

https://www.ipso.co.uk/rulings-and-resolution-statements/ruling/?id=04527-19

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/boris-johnson-telegraph-column-breaches-ipso-accu

https://www.markpack.org.uk/159481/dreadful-opinion-poll-reporting-by-the-daily-

Etc, etc.

So yep, I’m well aware of what a lie is. The question is, are you?

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 10:15 - Nov 6 with 2939 viewspointofblue

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 09:56 - Nov 6 by Swansea_Blue

I think it is - think about why May had such a tough time of it, relatively speaking, when she was Conservative Prime Minister. She didn’t get the support that Cameron got and Cameron didn’t get the support Johnson is getting because Johnson is dancing to the press’ tune.

The front page is clearly an opinion piece from Johnson, it says as much. But away from the support of the right wing media he will be given some hard questions to answer - his handling of the Rees-Mogg, Cairns and Benefits Street affairs have hardly been brilliant.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2019 10:21]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 10:18 - Nov 6 with 2932 viewsGeoffSentence

I did subscribe to it on the basis that it's journalism was pretty good and the right leaning nature of it was nicely challenging for my slightly left of centre outlook.

I cancelled my subscription last week for pretty much the reasons that you have listed.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 10:19 - Nov 6 with 2930 viewsSwansea_Blue

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 10:04 - Nov 6 by Herbivore

The Telegraph had to print three retractions of false claims made by Johnson in his columns in the first 6 months of this year.

And that’s before we get onto them being pulled up by IPSO for antisemitism....

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 10:23 - Nov 6 with 2922 viewsBrightonBlue

Still has decent journalists. TBH the Sat and Sunday editions are better with the money, business supplements. Lets not kid ourselves though, nearly every paper is a mouthpiece for certain political parties/agendas. They always have been. The reader just needs to be able to see through that and form a balanced view. Ultimately people tend to read the papers that reaffirm their standpoint. Since brexit many just quote soundbites they have read.
WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 10:29 - Nov 6 with 2902 viewslowhouseblue

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 10:15 - Nov 6 by Swansea_Blue

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/media/2019/nov/03/telegraph-f

https://www.ipso.co.uk/rulings-and-resolution-statements/ruling/?id=04527-19

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/boris-johnson-telegraph-column-breaches-ipso-accu

https://www.markpack.org.uk/159481/dreadful-opinion-poll-reporting-by-the-daily-

Etc, etc.

So yep, I’m well aware of what a lie is. The question is, are you?

and which of those was on today's front page? since the thread is about today's front page and I was replying to your post which said "I’m surprised BJ is allowed to spread blatant lies on the front page" ?

the knee jerk labelling of those people disagree with as 'liars' is bringing political debate down.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 10:31 - Nov 6 with 2898 viewsitfcjoe

WHen did the Telegraph just become a Tory mouthpiece? on 10:23 - Nov 6 by BrightonBlue

Still has decent journalists. TBH the Sat and Sunday editions are better with the money, business supplements. Lets not kid ourselves though, nearly every paper is a mouthpiece for certain political parties/agendas. They always have been. The reader just needs to be able to see through that and form a balanced view. Ultimately people tend to read the papers that reaffirm their standpoint. Since brexit many just quote soundbites they have read.

You say nearly every paper is a mouthpiece, which to an extent is true - but this isn't even subtle about anything, it is literally a mouthpiece now for Boris and the Tories. It's ironic that they talk about Stalin when they effectively have an in house newspaper being billed as a broadsheet

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024