Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Labour to retain freedom of movement 11:27 - Nov 7 with 4931 viewsZedRodgers

Regardless of whether or not we leave the EU.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/general-election-2019-jeremy-corbyn-free-movem

That's the ticket.

More briefings from Red Zed to follow. You love to see it.

No, not at the moment

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 11:29 - Nov 7 with 4356 viewsBigManBlue

Come on Jez, let's just remain. You know you want to...

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 11:30 - Nov 7 with 4342 viewschicoazul

I'm always interested in Marxist positions on freedom of movement and how it impacts the working classes' lives both in countries of origin and the country they work in.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 11:30 - Nov 7 with 4341 viewsStokieBlue

Interesting.

I'm not sure how that is going to win over voters in leave constituencies though who tend to cite freedom of movement as one of their main issues.

Given Labour also want to remain in a customs union as part of their deal (I assume that's still correct), if they also retain freedom of movement what is the point in leaving at all? Surely it's remain in all but name at that point so it might as well be remain full stop?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 11:37 - Nov 7 with 4294 viewsHerbivore

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 11:30 - Nov 7 by chicoazul

I'm always interested in Marxist positions on freedom of movement and how it impacts the working classes' lives both in countries of origin and the country they work in.

Marxism should be a global (or at least regional) movement, so really no issue here. Unless of course you don't understand what Marxism is and consider centre and centre left political parties that still espouse a capitalist economic model to be Marxist. I'm sure it's not the latter, you're a sharp cookie.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 11:38 - Nov 7 with 4298 viewslongtimefan

To me that will play straight into the Conservatives "Brexit in name only" rhetoric and enhance the Lib Dems campaign as the only real party of remain.
Labour to retain freedom of movement on 11:40 - Nov 7 with 4290 viewspointofblue

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 11:38 - Nov 7 by longtimefan

To me that will play straight into the Conservatives "Brexit in name only" rhetoric and enhance the Lib Dems campaign as the only real party of remain.

I agree - they’re aiming for the best of both worlds and failing.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 11:54 - Nov 7 with 4250 viewstractordownsouth

This won't have much impact on our overall control, as the EU citizens travel directive means we can deport people if they do not have enough capital to support themselves or a job after 3 months, but frustratingly, nobody in the Labour party makes this argument. Unfortunately I think these type of headlines will only be ammunition for the Tories.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 11:56 - Nov 7 with 4233 viewsBackToRussia

Marxists like Tony Blair you mean?

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Login to get fewer ads

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 11:58 - Nov 7 with 4229 viewstractordownsouth

I'm not a marxist, but from a left wing perspective I do find it difficult as it can impact negatively on host countries. However, I support people's freedom to move across borders in search of a better life for themselves and as net contributors to the EU, I think we make up for the loss of skills in poorer economies by investing in projects abroad. However, I do agree with you that immigration is not all rosy in that regard.

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 12:59 - Nov 7 with 4132 viewsTractorWood

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 11:30 - Nov 7 by StokieBlue

Interesting.

I'm not sure how that is going to win over voters in leave constituencies though who tend to cite freedom of movement as one of their main issues.

Given Labour also want to remain in a customs union as part of their deal (I assume that's still correct), if they also retain freedom of movement what is the point in leaving at all? Surely it's remain in all but name at that point so it might as well be remain full stop?

SB

It's almost like he wants to sit on the fence?

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 13:09 - Nov 7 with 4103 viewstractordownsouth

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 12:59 - Nov 7 by TractorWood

It's almost like he wants to sit on the fence?

Or that there's nuance in the position, which isn't reduced to meaningless slogans like " Get Brexit done" or " Clean break"

I've consistently criticised Labour's Brexit position in the last 2 years, but I think they've finally got it right.

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 13:30 - Nov 7 with 4066 viewsTractorWood

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 13:09 - Nov 7 by tractordownsouth

Or that there's nuance in the position, which isn't reduced to meaningless slogans like " Get Brexit done" or " Clean break"

I've consistently criticised Labour's Brexit position in the last 2 years, but I think they've finally got it right.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a remainer and have been disgusted with the Tories (particularly BoJo) over the last few years. I think the Lib Dem's will take a large chunk of remainers and the Tories will retain the middle class, ardent leavers and huge amount of people who just want to see the back of it.

I worry Corbyn's position isn't clear enough to even tempt Tories and remainers who want to stay at all costs. His position may make sense at prima facie but it doesn't feel like it will appeal to anyone beyond Labour's core support.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2019 13:31]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 13:32 - Nov 7 with 4057 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 11:29 - Nov 7 by BigManBlue

Come on Jez, let's just remain. You know you want to...

Yes he wants to.

He has been critical of EU down the years and believes that we should improve the EU from within. Before the 2016 referendum he made speeches saying thet there is an 'overwhelming case' to remain.Then he voted to remain.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 13:39 - Nov 7 with 4034 viewsBigManBlue

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 13:32 - Nov 7 by Tangledupin_Blue

Yes he wants to.

He has been critical of EU down the years and believes that we should improve the EU from within. Before the 2016 referendum he made speeches saying thet there is an 'overwhelming case' to remain.Then he voted to remain.

Totally agree, to be honest if he came out in full support of revoking article 50 I'd be chuffed to bits. Currently tangled in the maze of applying to live abroad long term post-Brexit so this would, selfishly, save me a lot of trouble!

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 13:39 - Nov 7 with 4035 viewsElephantintheRoom

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 11:30 - Nov 7 by StokieBlue

Interesting.

SB

The point of leaving the EU whilst staying in a customs union is to leave the political union which we did not have a referendum to join whist staying in the economic market that we did. Seems entirely logical with the added bonus of a referendum to voice your opposition or support

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 14:41 - Nov 7 with 3934 viewschicoazul

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 11:58 - Nov 7 by tractordownsouth

I'm not a marxist, but from a left wing perspective I do find it difficult as it can impact negatively on host countries. However, I support people's freedom to move across borders in search of a better life for themselves and as net contributors to the EU, I think we make up for the loss of skills in poorer economies by investing in projects abroad. However, I do agree with you that immigration is not all rosy in that regard.

The Maximum Leader and his outriders are all Marxists though, so like I say I am interested in hearing their arguments on this.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 15:05 - Nov 7 with 3905 viewsStokieBlue

Any thoughts on McDonnell's offerings today Zed?

That would seem to be another 150bn on top of all the commitments in the last manifesto and the known 250bn fund. Given the renationalisation is going to cost 50-100bn as well these numbers are starting to add up.

The analysts are saying it far exceeds any previous Labour spending pledges of any Labour government. The grey book should be interesting at least.

Also, what exactly does he mean by this?

"The centre of gravity, of political gravity, is shifting away from London. It's coming back home to the North"

SB
[Post edited 7 Nov 2019 15:45]

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 15:54 - Nov 7 with 3852 viewslongtimefan

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 15:05 - Nov 7 by StokieBlue

That would seem to be another 150bn on top of all the commitments in the last manifesto and the known 250bn fund. Given the renationalisation is going to cost 50-100bn as well these numbers are starting to add up.

The analysts are saying it far exceeds any previous Labour spending pledges of any Labour government. The grey book should be interesting at least.

"The centre of gravity, of political gravity, is shifting away from London. It's coming back home to the North"

SB

They're taking us back to the Industrial Age . Sorry couldn't resist.
Labour to retain freedom of movement on 16:02 - Nov 7 with 3835 viewsSwansea_Blue

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 15:05 - Nov 7 by StokieBlue

SB

Maybe he's talking about the Althing in Thingvellir

In rough terms there doesn't appear to be much of a difference between the amounts being promised (whether they are actually delivered is another matter of course). How they are going to be afforded will be an interesting sell. Labour obviously want to borrow and increase taxation, the Tories seem to want to do it all through borrowing. Not sure how that's going to sit alongside their attacks on Labour for financial recklessness.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 16:07 - Nov 7 with 3822 viewsHerbivore

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 16:02 - Nov 7 by Swansea_Blue

In rough terms there doesn't appear to be much of a difference between the amounts being promised (whether they are actually delivered is another matter of course). How they are going to be afforded will be an interesting sell. Labour obviously want to borrow and increase taxation, the Tories seem to want to do it all through borrowing. Not sure how that's going to sit alongside their attacks on Labour for financial recklessness.

The Tories are promising tax cuts as well as increased spending. Hard to see how they square that circle.

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 16:09 - Nov 7 with 3822 viewsStokieBlue

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 16:02 - Nov 7 by Swansea_Blue

I think the amounts being promised are quite different aren't they?

This specific 150bn is roughly in line like you say but he'd already pledged 250bn for similar projects, 50-100bn for renationalisation, 30+bn for tution fees etc.

As I said, guess we need to wait and see the manifestos to be more precise. I am certainly a fan of infrastructure spending, with some caveats of course.

SB
[Post edited 7 Nov 2019 16:10]

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 16:12 - Nov 7 with 3813 viewshampstead_blue

basically they will keep us in the EU without any power or voting rights....

Right on JC. You sure know how to do it.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 16:18 - Nov 7 with 3795 viewsHerbivore

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 16:12 - Nov 7 by hampstead_blue

basically they will keep us in the EU without any power or voting rights....

Right on JC. You sure know how to do it.

They'll give us a second referendum and we'll remain, which is quite clearly the best outcome available right now.

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 16:35 - Nov 7 with 3756 viewshampstead_blue

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 16:18 - Nov 7 by Herbivore

They'll give us a second referendum and we'll remain, which is quite clearly the best outcome available right now.

When the EU wsa launched it was with the intention of an economic trading area.
What it's morphed into is an enlarged state. Effectively members are mere players who get played by Germany and France.

If we can go back to a trading block without everything which has been quietly added on then I'll be there.

The EU as a trading block is powerful and compelling. As it is and will become? No way.

It's grown into something other than it was meant to be which is sad.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 16:43 - Nov 7 with 3735 viewsJ2BLUE

Labour to retain freedom of movement on 16:35 - Nov 7 by hampstead_blue

When the EU wsa launched it was with the intention of an economic trading area.
What it's morphed into is an enlarged state. Effectively members are mere players who get played by Germany and France.

If we can go back to a trading block without everything which has been quietly added on then I'll be there.

The EU as a trading block is powerful and compelling. As it is and will become? No way.

It's grown into something other than it was meant to be which is sad.

Does the UK get played by Germany and France? Aren't we one of the big 3?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024