Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
US presidental race could be about to get interesting 07:30 - Nov 8 with 1969 viewsStokieBlue

Bloomberg is seriously considering entering the race next week as a democratic candidate.

Liberal views with vast wealth (53bn at the last count) to compete against Trump. Also very much for gun control and funds many gun control campaigns. Certainly a fair number of critics as well though for various gentrification projects.

Possibly can't win but changes the dynamic quite a lot given Trumps insistence on boasting about wealth and being successful. Bloomberg is genuinely successful.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/nov/07/michael-bloomberg-2020-election-

As an aside, why are so many presidential candidates so old? Bloomberg is 77.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 07:59 - Nov 8 with 1933 viewsGuthrum

Remember reading articles 20 years ago thinking he'd make a decent, reasonably progressive POTUS.

Actually, in this cycle there's a lot of very young candidates for the Dems (tho they are unlikely to be selected). Think this is more a last hurrah for some of a generation who grew up in the post-War boom and shaped their views in the 1960s and '70s, before Reagan changed US politics.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 08:02 - Nov 8 with 1925 viewsStokieBlue

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 07:59 - Nov 8 by Guthrum

Remember reading articles 20 years ago thinking he'd make a decent, reasonably progressive POTUS.

Actually, in this cycle there's a lot of very young candidates for the Dems (tho they are unlikely to be selected). Think this is more a last hurrah for some of a generation who grew up in the post-War boom and shaped their views in the 1960s and '70s, before Reagan changed US politics.

Just saw that Warren's new tax would cost him 3bn next year.

Quite like this quote from Gates, especially in context of how much he's also given (and has stated he will give on his death) to charity:

"I've paid over $10 billion in taxes," Gates said at the New York Times DealBook Conference November 6, according to Market Watch. "If I had to pay $20 billion, it's fine. But when you say I should pay $100 billion, then I'm starting to do a little math about what I have left over."

The documentary about him on Netflix is a good watch if people have a spare few hours.

SB

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 08:09 - Nov 8 with 1895 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 08:02 - Nov 8 by StokieBlue

Quite like this quote from Gates, especially in context of how much he's also given (and has stated he will give on his death) to charity:

"I've paid over $10 billion in taxes," Gates said at the New York Times DealBook Conference November 6, according to Market Watch. "If I had to pay $20 billion, it's fine. But when you say I should pay $100 billion, then I'm starting to do a little math about what I have left over."

The documentary about him on Netflix is a good watch if people have a spare few hours.

SB

He would have some left over.....incredible!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 08:12 - Nov 8 with 1904 viewschicoazul

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 08:02 - Nov 8 by StokieBlue

SB

Literally have no idea at all how Bill Gates would survive if he only had $6bn left over.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 08:13 - Nov 8 with 1899 viewsGuthrum

SB

That is one problem with wild spending plans. It becomes mathematically very difficult to raise the funds if you aren't willing to go after business and can't squeeze the "regular joe".

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 08:15 - Nov 8 with 1895 viewschicoazul

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 08:12 - Nov 8 by chicoazul

Literally have no idea at all how Bill Gates would survive if he only had $6bn left over.

On the topic of the Gates' I did enjoy reading his wife saying the other day she was committing $1bn towards reducing gender equality, because nothing says gender equality like a woman spending her husband's money.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 08:21 - Nov 8 with 1883 viewsGuthrum

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 08:12 - Nov 8 by chicoazul

I'm all for fair taxation, but is it reasonable to seize over 95% of someone's wealth just because they have it? For one thing, that removes any chance of serious philanthropy.

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 08:22 - Nov 8 with 1875 viewschicoazul

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 08:21 - Nov 8 by Guthrum

I'm all for fair taxation, but is it reasonable to seize over 95% of someone's wealth just because they have it? For one thing, that removes any chance of serious philanthropy.

All I am saying is, if he is taxed 100bn, he will have 6bn left.

Login to get fewer ads

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 08:23 - Nov 8 with 1869 viewsStokieBlue

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 08:22 - Nov 8 by chicoazul

All I am saying is, if he is taxed 100bn, he will have 6bn left.

Most of which is not in readily available cash.

He's not scrooge McDuck swimming about in cash, it's assets - probably virtually all Microsoft shares.

SB

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 08:23 - Nov 8 with 1863 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 08:15 - Nov 8 by chicoazul

On the topic of the Gates' I did enjoy reading his wife saying the other day she was committing $1bn towards reducing gender equality, because nothing says gender equality like a woman spending her husband's money.

Now that really is a high score on the edge-o-meter!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 08:27 - Nov 8 with 1853 viewsFixed_It

As an aside, think of the grandeur and coverage of the funeral - something money alone can't buy!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 08:29 - Nov 8 with 1840 viewsBackToRussia

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 08:21 - Nov 8 by Guthrum

Yes, it's reasonable. Why do you need philanthropy when you have the state?

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 08:39 - Nov 8 with 1823 viewsGuthrum

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 08:29 - Nov 8 by BackToRussia

Yes, it's reasonable. Why do you need philanthropy when you have the state?

For all the bits that the state does not cover, from community activities and animal sactuaries to international medical/relief projects.

Think of the current political pressure on the international aid budget, not wanting to spend tax money on other people abroad.

Besides which, Gates got that money by producing products which almost everyone in the world wanted to buy. Should he then be punished for that success?

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 08:42 - Nov 8 with 1808 viewsBackToRussia

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 08:39 - Nov 8 by Guthrum

For all the bits that the state does not cover, from community activities and animal sactuaries to international medical/relief projects.

Think of the current political pressure on the international aid budget, not wanting to spend tax money on other people abroad.

Besides which, Gates got that money by producing products which almost everyone in the world wanted to buy. Should he then be punished for that success?

You're just delimiting the scope of government arbitrarily. In fact we give international aid already so no reason we couldn't expand that.

But of course, if we're talking ideally then other countries wouldn't need as much international aid if they had more tax receipts too.

Being taxed and having 6 billion dollars leftover isn't a punishment. If he really loves doing it he will see that as ample reward, plus the benefit of the common wealth. Commonwealth, now there's a phrase that has lost all meaning.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2019 8:48]

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 09:00 - Nov 8 with 1790 viewschicoazul

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 08:23 - Nov 8 by StokieBlue

Most of which is not in readily available cash.

He's not scrooge McDuck swimming about in cash, it's assets - probably virtually all Microsoft shares.

SB

Yes and those shares are definitely worthless, and he certainly wouldnt be able to feed himself or his family even if he only has for instance 0.1% of his remaining wealth in cash.

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 09:01 - Nov 8 with 1789 viewschicoazul

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 08:39 - Nov 8 by Guthrum

Tax is not "punishment" Jesus Christ. People on here, not all but some, have such an rse about face way of looking at tax. It's not a question of morality.

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 09:17 - Nov 8 with 1772 viewsGuthrum

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 09:01 - Nov 8 by chicoazul

Tax is not "punishment" Jesus Christ. People on here, not all but some, have such an rse about face way of looking at tax. It's not a question of morality.

To clarify: Tax is not in itself punishment, merely part of the mechanism of civilised society. But it can be used as such, to gain ideological brownie points by going after the wealthy.

However, I do think there is a quasi-moral aspect to tax if one believes in having a civilised social structure rather than a hunter-gatherer individualism. To invert the American Revolutionary slogan: No representation without taxation.

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 09:28 - Nov 8 with 1762 viewsGuthrum

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 08:42 - Nov 8 by BackToRussia

You're just delimiting the scope of government arbitrarily. In fact we give international aid already so no reason we couldn't expand that.

But of course, if we're talking ideally then other countries wouldn't need as much international aid if they had more tax receipts too.

Being taxed and having 6 billion dollars leftover isn't a punishment. If he really loves doing it he will see that as ample reward, plus the benefit of the common wealth. Commonwealth, now there's a phrase that has lost all meaning.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2019 8:48]

Taxing super-rich individuals at high rates is in no way going to raise enough for all-encompassing government activity. There isn't enough of them, they don't have that much money (even £100bn does not go that far in running a country nowadays). You'd have to go after business/investment to get even close.

Commonwealth is great, but if you share out the entire UK GDP, that still only works out at £33k per head. More than I earn, but less than many.

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 18:42 - Nov 9 with 1653 viewsBackToRussia

US presidental race could be about to get interesting on 09:28 - Nov 8 by Guthrum

Taxing super-rich individuals at high rates is in no way going to raise enough for all-encompassing government activity. There isn't enough of them, they don't have that much money (even £100bn does not go that far in running a country nowadays). You'd have to go after business/investment to get even close.

Commonwealth is great, but if you share out the entire UK GDP, that still only works out at £33k per head. More than I earn, but less than many.

Only 33k per head? You mean more than the national average wage? I don't really see where you're going with this at all, why is that a bad thing?

Taxing billionaires more is a start. You also tax larger corporations and international ones more too. Then you raise the tax for people who earn maybe more than 60k and you're golden.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024