Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Student Accommodation Advice 14:54 - Nov 9 with 1127 viewsStudentBlue

Hello all,

I'm a long time Ipswich fan and current final year Biomedical Sciences student at Uni. Unfortunately I've had some difficulties regarding my shared student house and was wondering if anyone had any advice in this situation.

I live in a 4 bedroom house, sharing with 3 other students. Last month, one of my housemates invited friends round who subsequently went on to enter another of my housemate's rooms and throw water over his desk, bed etc while he was out of the house. This led to the affected housemate contacting our landlord to report the incident and the housemate at fault was evicted. He has moved back into university-owned college accommodation, which has left us to find a replacement tenant.

We have found a replacement, but it means that they must leave their tenancy early with university-owned accommodation. This means that 40% of their current tenancy must be paid up in order for them to take over our spare room. My two remaining housemates and myself have been asked to not only pay this between us, but to also reimburse the departed housemate for the time he hasn't occupied the property up until 1st January (when rent was paid up until).

Overall, this cost is set to be around £1000 or more, and as a student or anyone for that matter finding this sort of money is simply not possible on top of my already extortionate rent/living costs. I feel aggrieved that I should have to be paying anything for an incident that did not involve me whatsoever. I have consulted the University hardship fund and my university college for advice but they are unable to provide any financial help.

I'm just looking for advice that I should indeed owe nothing, and also whether it would be worth seeking legal advice?

Many thanks for reading and please feel free to PM if you need any other details.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2019 14:55]

Poll: How will you be voting tomorrow?

Student Accommodation Advice on 14:56 - Nov 9 with 1109 viewssparks

CAB if required- or your SU will probably have advice.

I can see no obvious basis on which you can be required to pay any of those things. Unless of course the 4 of you had a tenancy for which you were all responsible...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Student Accommodation Advice on 15:00 - Nov 9 with 1084 viewsStudentBlue

Student Accommodation Advice on 14:56 - Nov 9 by sparks

CAB if required- or your SU will probably have advice.

I can see no obvious basis on which you can be required to pay any of those things. Unless of course the 4 of you had a tenancy for which you were all responsible...

The contract states that we are all equally liable for the rent if any of the tenants fall into arrears, and I can accept covering the extra rent in between the tenant leaving and replacement tenant arriving. However, the departed tenant has already paid rent up until 1st January so surely he shouldn't be entitled to any of that back?

Student Accommodation Advice on 15:01 - Nov 9 with 1075 viewsPendejo

Sue the guy who was kicked out for all the other costs, as his action has directly led to all the other expenses and is thus responsible for those costs. He probably won't have insurance, however, if his parents have home contents insurance this usually includes public liability cover for the family.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Student Accommodation Advice on 15:02 - Nov 9 with 1070 viewssparks

Student Accommodation Advice on 15:00 - Nov 9 by StudentBlue

The contract states that we are all equally liable for the rent if any of the tenants fall into arrears, and I can accept covering the extra rent in between the tenant leaving and replacement tenant arriving. However, the departed tenant has already paid rent up until 1st January so surely he shouldn't be entitled to any of that back?

Clearly not. Mind you- I am fascinated to understand how he was "evicted" without a court order... If he was forced out against his will... he arguably shouldnt be losing out financially. Though I would think that would be the landlord's problem if the landlord removed him somehow...

Is this a tenancy or a licence?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Student Accommodation Advice on 15:05 - Nov 9 with 1059 viewsStudentBlue

Student Accommodation Advice on 15:02 - Nov 9 by sparks

Clearly not. Mind you- I am fascinated to understand how he was "evicted" without a court order... If he was forced out against his will... he arguably shouldnt be losing out financially. Though I would think that would be the landlord's problem if the landlord removed him somehow...

Is this a tenancy or a licence?

He was asked to leave by the landlord and accepted full responsibility for the incident. He then subsequently found alternative accommodation within university college halls and has left this situation/mess for us to deal with.

It's a tenancy agreement.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2019 15:05]

Student Accommodation Advice on 15:08 - Nov 9 with 1032 viewssparks

Student Accommodation Advice on 15:05 - Nov 9 by StudentBlue

He was asked to leave by the landlord and accepted full responsibility for the incident. He then subsequently found alternative accommodation within university college halls and has left this situation/mess for us to deal with.

It's a tenancy agreement.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2019 15:05]

Then I cannot see how he or landlord have any entitlement to seek payment from you for his rent. Its an issue between him and landlord.

Student Accommodation Advice on 15:13 - Nov 9 with 1014 viewsStudentBlue

Student Accommodation Advice on 15:08 - Nov 9 by sparks

Then I cannot see how he or landlord have any entitlement to seek payment from you for his rent. Its an issue between him and landlord.

Thank you for your help and advice.

What's your view on the incoming tenant. Would it not be their responsibility to cover their current tenancy before taking up our unoccupied room?

Student Accommodation Advice on 15:19 - Nov 9 with 993 viewsHerbivore

Student Accommodation Advice on 15:13 - Nov 9 by StudentBlue

What's your view on the incoming tenant. Would it not be their responsibility to cover their current tenancy before taking up our unoccupied room?

Yes. You can't be liable for someone else's outstanding rent on an agreement you have nothing to do with.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2019 15:19]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Student Accommodation Advice on 15:28 - Nov 9 with 969 viewssparks

Student Accommodation Advice on 15:13 - Nov 9 by StudentBlue

Legally- yes. Unless there is some arrangement with University.

But equally- why would they accept it if they are going to be out of pocket?, so there may be a deal to be done... If in doubt, CAB or SU. I can't see any of the documentation or consider the detail here so really can't say anything definitively...

Student Accommodation Advice on 15:31 - Nov 9 with 960 viewsStudentBlue

Thank you very much to those who have given advice. I have a meeting tomorrow with my other housemates and the new tenant so will bear all of this in mind.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024