Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Eleven years then.... (n/t) 15:43 - Nov 9 with 2397 viewsSteve_M

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Eleven years then.... (n/t) on 15:46 - Nov 9 with 2374 viewsHerbivore

Come on now, I foresee a stirring second half comeback.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Eleven years then.... (n/t) on 15:47 - Nov 9 with 2354 viewspointofblue

Eleven years then.... (n/t) on 15:46 - Nov 9 by Herbivore

At which ground?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Eleven years then.... (n/t) on 15:47 - Nov 9 with 2347 viewsTrequartista

Let's wait until the result is beyond doubt before firing the engines, but with two weeks to the next league game and a cup game in midweek, i will be giving both barrels if this isn't turned around.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Eleven years then.... (n/t) on 15:50 - Nov 9 with 2293 viewsRyorry

C'mon Steve, gird your loins, it's not even ht yet!

Edit - I suppose it is now!
[Post edited 9 Nov 2019 15:51]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Eleven years then.... (n/t) on 15:50 - Nov 9 with 2295 viewsSteve_M

Eleven years then.... (n/t) on 15:46 - Nov 9 by Herbivore

I've seen enough cup defeats in recent years to know we'll create a few chances second half, not score and lose 2-0.

I would like to be proved wrong here but....

Eleven years then.... (n/t) on 15:51 - Nov 9 with 2259 viewspointofblue

Eleven years then.... (n/t) on 15:50 - Nov 9 by Steve_M

I've seen enough cup defeats in recent years to know we'll create a few chances second half, not score and lose 2-0.

I would like to be proved wrong here but....

The only plus being a defeat here is probably better than a draw and a replay.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Eleven years then.... (n/t) on 15:53 - Nov 9 with 2235 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Some of these back ups can be cut now.
They aren’t good enough for div1 let alone the Championship if we get there!
Eleven years then.... (n/t) on 15:54 - Nov 9 with 2221 viewsSwansea_Blue

It's almost as if throwing together a group of players who rarely play together doesn't actually make a team, isn't it.

Trying hard not to be a premature numbskull here, but this is showing us the worse of Lambert so far, it really is.

The collective is always greater the than individual in football. Always has been always will be.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Eleven years then.... (n/t) on 15:55 - Nov 9 with 2182 viewsHerbivore

Eleven years then.... (n/t) on 15:54 - Nov 9 by Swansea_Blue

It's almost as if throwing together a group of players who rarely play together doesn't actually make a team, isn't it.

Trying hard not to be a premature numbskull here, but this is showing us the worse of Lambert so far, it really is.

The collective is always greater the than individual in football. Always has been always will be.

Most of the season we've been less than the sum of our parts imo.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Eleven years then.... (n/t) on 16:03 - Nov 9 with 2072 viewsBent_double

Eleven years then.... (n/t) on 15:54 - Nov 9 by Swansea_Blue

I'm sure there have been many times over the years where the opposition have done just that (injuries/new manager, etc) and yet they've still beaten us.

Why are we as a club unable to make wholesale changes and still be competitive?

Lambert will have to take the blame if we go on to lose this, but there are some decent players out there who clearly aren't performing, for whatever reason.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Eleven years then.... (n/t) on 16:09 - Nov 9 with 2018 viewsSwansea_Blue

Eleven years then.... (n/t) on 16:03 - Nov 9 by Bent_double

I'm sure there have been many times over the years where the opposition have done just that (injuries/new manager, etc) and yet they've still beaten us.

Why are we as a club unable to make wholesale changes and still be competitive?

Lambert will have to take the blame if we go on to lose this, but there are some decent players out there who clearly aren't performing, for whatever reason.

I'm not clear what we're trying to do, and it doesn't look like the players are either. That has to come from the coaching team. Even the best players can look lost if not adequatley setup.

They are decent players, certainly if you include the bench. Hopefully the quality will tell at some point in the second half, but I'm feeling we're doing well depite Lambert this season not becasue of him. That might be tad harsh, but it's the way I'm starting to think.

Eleven years then.... (n/t) on 16:10 - Nov 9 with 2001 viewsGeoffSentence

We've still got the good half to go. Let's see how that works out.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Eleven years then.... (n/t) on 16:18 - Nov 9 with 1950 viewsActionMan

Eleven years then.... (n/t) on 15:53 - Nov 9 by BtreeBlueBlood

Some of these back ups can be cut now.
They aren’t good enough for div1 let alone the Championship if we get there!

We're in the third division, I wish we had 1st division players...
Eleven years then.... (n/t) on 16:20 - Nov 9 with 1928 viewsbrogansnose

Eleven years then.... (n/t) on 16:09 - Nov 9 by Swansea_Blue

I'm not clear what we're trying to do, and it doesn't look like the players are either. That has to come from the coaching team. Even the best players can look lost if not adequatley setup.

They are decent players, certainly if you include the bench. Hopefully the quality will tell at some point in the second half, but I'm feeling we're doing well depite Lambert this season not becasue of him. That might be tad harsh, but it's the way I'm starting to think.

I believe that one of the aims of the rotation is that every player should be able to drop into his position and know that position / system if a player is unable to play. I don't believe that to be the case with some of the quality that we've got and this amount of changes is simply too much.

To my mind PL is going to be judged at the end of the season when he has to get us promoted and then all this will be forgotten and seen as a wise move, if he doesn't then ...........................

Your last comment...I'm already thinking that.
Eleven years then.... (n/t) on 16:33 - Nov 9 with 1875 viewsSteve_M

Eleven years then.... (n/t) on 16:20 - Nov 9 by brogansnose

I believe that one of the aims of the rotation is that every player should be able to drop into his position and know that position / system if a player is unable to play. I don't believe that to be the case with some of the quality that we've got and this amount of changes is simply too much.

To my mind PL is going to be judged at the end of the season when he has to get us promoted and then all this will be forgotten and seen as a wise move, if he doesn't then ...........................

Your last comment...I'm already thinking that.

I think we need to separate cup matches from the rest of the season here. Today is clearly as crap as nearly every other cup match over the last few years: too many changes not giving any of the players who have come into the side a chance to achieve anything. Exactly the same failing/choice that McCarthy made time and time again.

On the season as a whole, I think we're getting ahead of ourselves to suggest results are in spite of Lambert. There might be valid questions about exactly what our intended playing style is but this is - largely - a squad that won five matches in the whole of last season. To think that Lambert has had very little impact on that is getting a bit entitled again in my opinion. At the absolute least restoring confidence to the side and re-setting the relationship with the fans are fundamental to the decent start we've made to this season.

Despite that, there may still be a question about our home form. Other than the first half of 2017-18, it's been pretty sh1t since the play-off season when we were superb.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2019 16:45]

Eleven years then.... (n/t) on 16:43 - Nov 9 with 1832 viewsSwansea_Blue

Eleven years then.... (n/t) on 16:33 - Nov 9 by Steve_M

I think we need to separate cup matches from the rest of the season here. Today is clearly as crap as nearly every other cup match over the last few years: too many changes not giving any of the players who have come into the side a chance to achieve anything. Exactly the same failing/choice that McCarthy made time and time again.

On the season as a whole, I think we're getting ahead of ourselves to suggest results are in spite of Lambert. There might be valid questions about exactly what our intended playing style is but this is - largely - a squad that won five matches in the whole of last season. To think that Lambert has had very little impact on that is getting a bit entitled again in my opinion. At the absolute least restoring confidence to the side and re-setting the relationship with the fans are fundamental to the decent start we've made to this season.

Despite that, there may still be a question about our home form. Other than the first half of 2017-18, it's been pretty sh1t since the play-off season when we were superb.

That it's largely the same squad as last year is what's making the differnce in a poorer leage imo. Lambert's results were only marginally better than Hurst's (almost negligably, by about 0.05 pts a game) despite being here for a lot longer and having the window to bring in some of his own players.

This year is largely down to us keeping some players who're probably too good for this league. And finding a goalscorer again.I don't see anything that suggests it's down to tactical mastery - we've been poor to watch from what I've seen, excpet in short spells. We were much better to watch at times last year.

I could be wrong, as results are obviously going as well as could be hoped. I 'm just not feeling the affinity towrds him that many do.

Eleven years then.... (n/t) on 16:44 - Nov 9 with 1826 viewsbrogansnose

Eleven years then.... (n/t) on 16:33 - Nov 9 by Steve_M

Yeah, on reflection you're spot on with that second paragraph and I've gone a bit too far, however, I do feel that we should be further along the road with an identity and style given he's had a year now and that concerns me, perhaps it shouldn't, but overall he's steadied the ship from a dreadful situation on and off the pitch.
Eleven years then.... (n/t) on 17:02 - Nov 9 with 1775 viewsMullet

Eleven years then.... (n/t) on 16:44 - Nov 9 by brogansnose

Yeah, on reflection you're spot on with that second paragraph and I've gone a bit too far, however, I do feel that we should be further along the road with an identity and style given he's had a year now and that concerns me, perhaps it shouldn't, but overall he's steadied the ship from a dreadful situation on and off the pitch.

To be Devil's advocate though, the manner in which we went down and the way we moved from split CB's and into going down "better" despite finishing rock bottom is still without answer.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Eleven years then.... (n/t) on 17:05 - Nov 9 with 1751 viewsreusersfreekicks

Eleven years then.... (n/t) on 15:55 - Nov 9 by Herbivore

Most of the season we've been less than the sum of our parts imo.

Agreed
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024